Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

pug 405 heaters not wrking. Im cold :(

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2005, 03:27 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pug 405 heaters not wrking. Im cold :(

I just bought a 405 turbodiesel as a runnabout. Its a 1995 model. The heater fan works, it has aircon, which works, the button to recirculate air works, the problem is, it wont blow hot air. Doesnt matter what I have the slider at, it just blows cold, even though the coolant temp is up to normal. When the igntion is on, I can hear some kind of motor or something running behind the dash (not the fan motor I dont think) but it sounds a bit rough.
Seeminglky this model has electronic control of the heating system, but I know nothing about it.

I thought I would be a smart-**** and dig out a 405 haynes manual I have had tucked away for a while, but usefully, it doesnt cover diesel variants or models after 1992. The heater system described in the book is diferent to mine.

poo.

Any suggestions
Old 05 November 2005, 04:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your heater matrix has gone by the sounds not to sound funny (had this go one my 306) but its a barsteward of a job, dash out etc, part itself is about 40-70 quid depending where you go, time to fit is about 6 hours.... not cheap

Tony
Old 05 November 2005, 05:14 PM
darryl90
Scooby Regular

Cool FRENCH TURDS

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
I just bought a 405 turbodiesel as a runnabout. Its a 1995 model. The heater fan works, it has aircon, which works, the button to recirculate air works, the problem is, it wont blow hot air. Doesnt matter what I have the slider at, it just blows cold, even though the coolant temp is up to normal. When the igntion is on, I can hear some kind of motor or something running behind the dash (not the fan motor I dont think) but it sounds a bit rough.
Seeminglky this model has electronic control of the heating system, but I know nothing about it.

I thought I would be a smart-**** and dig out a 405 haynes manual I have had tucked away for a while, but usefully, it doesnt cover diesel variants or models after 1992. The heater system described in the book is diferent to mine.

poo.

Any suggestions
SET IT ON FIRE HEATING PROBLEM SOLVED
Old 05 November 2005, 05:35 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darryl90
SET IT ON FIRE HEATING PROBLEM SOLVED
great, thanks.

As for the heater matrix, its not loosing coolant and there doesnt appear to be any blockages so unless the matrix is clogged with silt, I think the problem is with the control system rather than the matrix itself.
Old 05 November 2005, 05:56 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Check the Heater matrix hasn't been bypassed. Its a trick I know many peugeot owners don't mind doing in the summer, mainly because the car will still be serviceable, and to change the chocolate teapot of a matrix is a real pig dashboard out job. I'd trace all the hoses under the bonnet and look for a bypass job.

Failing that, I'd ask the guys at www.frenchcarforum.co.uk for advice, they'll know exactly what to do.

Last edited by Reffro; 05 November 2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06 November 2005, 12:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

No the heater matrix just has the same tendancy as the radiator, the cores go on them, no core, no heat
Mine misted up a little, a bit greasy and you could smell a very light oil, though it was quite advanced when mine went
Its pretty common on Pugs for these to go after about 8-10 years..... pain in the ***.
Eurocarparts do a replacement part.
www.eurocarparts.co.uk

Tony
Old 06 November 2005, 01:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

VALEO n/a 214735010 HEATER MATRIX 405 88- VALEO £33.08
n/a 214735011 HEATER MATRIX 405 88- VALEO £44.13
VALEO n/a 214735020 HEATER MATRIX PEU 405 (BEHR) BEHR £12.11
BHER n/a 214735021 HEATER MATRIX PEU 405 (BEHR) BEHR £33.85
GENUINE n/a 963545025 S/S TO CIT997978 Anti-Gel Recommended for 50/50 £3.25

Prices exclude vat and delivery.

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2005, 10:33 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
Check the Heater matrix hasn't been bypassed. Its a trick I know many peugeot owners don't mind doing in the summer, mainly because the car will still be serviceable, and to change the chocolate teapot of a matrix is a real pig dashboard out job. I'd trace all the hoses under the bonnet and look for a bypass job.

Failing that, I'd ask the guys at www.frenchcarforum.co.uk for advice, they'll know exactly what to do.

Spot on!
I had a look today. Turns out the matrix had been bypassed where the hoses go through the bulkhead, so I re-did the plumbing correctly - The result was lovely warm air from the heater and a not-so-lovely paddling pool of coolant in the footwell.
poo - a burst matrix.

The correct way to remove the matrix involves taking out most of the dash, dismounting the heater etc. They must be smoking crack if they think Im doing all that on a £150 car.
The fast way to remove the matrix is to take the glovebox out and use an angle-grinder to remove some relatively unimportant parts of the under dash structure, which allows the matrix to be undone and slid into the passenger footwell.

There was no way I was going to repeat the same process in the scrappy to retrieve a used matrix that might be dud too, so I had a look at the one I had. I pressurised it with an airline and submerged it in water to find the leak. It was just a wee pin-hole so I cut away the alloy fins to get at the relevant section, siliconed the hole and used a wee jubilee clip to clamp a bit of rubber tubing around the damaged section.

Its all back together now and seems to be working fine!

Bodger?
Me?
Old 07 November 2005, 10:59 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Proper job!!!
Old 07 November 2005, 11:36 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Good man, shed engineering at its best