Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Early 3.4 996s - bargain or bucket?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2005, 11:49 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Early 3.4 996s - bargain or bucket?

These are getting around the 20k mark now for a 100k miler on a 98 plate.

Are they worth considering at this price? or are they going to cost the earth to run. How do the early 996s compare to newer ones?

Last edited by wilf; 31 October 2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 31 October 2005, 01:12 PM
lowlander
Scooby Regular

A lot of car for the money.

I have heard of early 3.4's suffering from engine failure though. Suggest asking some questions on the porsche owners club forums and see what feedback you get.

Lovely car to drive by all accounts (I've driven one or even been in one myself). Plenty power, excellent handling, lovely engine/exhaust note, good build quality. a real everyday usable supercar.

All the best.

Martin.
Old 31 October 2005, 01:20 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

A neighbour of mine had a early 996. Had lots of little problems + complete engine failure.

I think they addressed some of the issues on later models but he still has niggles with his new C4S.

993s are as good as they come.

Bob
Old 31 October 2005, 05:24 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

The main engine issue is the the rear main seal.....it seems to be the achilles heal of these beautiful cars.....go on any 911 site and do a serch, there are tons of posts about this,.....

£20k will get a pretty nasty looking one ie horrid 4 spoke steering wheel, orange lenses, probably metropole blue interior etc...nice uns seem to command £27k+
Old 31 October 2005, 07:45 PM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

I've got a 3.4 996. It hasn't missed a beat in 15,000 miles.

20k will get you the crapiest 996 you could ever imagine. If you haven't got 27-30k to spend, don't get one.

They're not expensive to run for what they are, but then overall they aint the cheapest car to run.

RMS (rear main seal) is the most overhyped problem in Porsche history!
However, it would pay you to have a Porsche inspection (£200ish) and put an extendable warranty at £750 a year, this will cover all major items on the car.
If the car is over 9yrs old or done over 100k, Porsche won't put a warranty on it.

If you want a real drivers car go for a manual C2 with sports pack (includes -10mm sports suspension plus other goodies). This is what I have and it's a stonkingly good drivers car. Mine out-performs a friends E46 M3 in every department, straight line speed (esp above 90mph), handling (in a different league), looks, noise (I've got sports exhaust).

IMO avoid a C4 (you won't need 4WD on a 996), and don't touch a tip or a cab with a bargepole! They provide quite a different driving experience.

Overall awesome cars, but be aware of Porsche customer service, it's shocking! It's stopped me from buying a 996tt. Oh well, I'll just have to get a F360
Old 31 October 2005, 07:57 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

There's a bit of a feature on these in this months USEDCARBUYER magazine. They seem to really rate them. Wouldn't mind one myself actually!

Good luck in finding a copy of the mag though, no bugger seems to stock it.
Old 01 November 2005, 10:00 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

My dad bought a 1998 996 C4 Cab in 2001. It had 20000 miles and FPSH 2 owners in Oceon blue - lowered body, 18" GT1 replica's which were replaced with 18" Carrera alloys. The car has been looked after by Porsche Centre Nottingham, and more recently Sheffield Porsche. The car burst a header tank once - but other than that regular servicing since. It has had a vario cam seal and some suspension bushes as the only major wear and tear - and every year in April/May it goes in for service / MOT and the bills range from £400 - £1200. The car has 44000 on the clock now and is tucked away for the winter.

My dad's experience has been good, although it only gets some redline thrash for 5% of the time. Harder driven cars may suffer more, but a AWD cab isn't exactly the hardcore drivers choice
Old 01 November 2005, 10:35 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I just can't imagine why you'd spend £20k on a bottom level, 7yo porsche with 100k miles when the same money could get you a mint year old vx220 turbo (which is real world faster no doubt) or a whole host of newer, faster, more interesting cars, etc. It must just be me but does being able to say you own a 911 really mean that much If you're going to get a 911/Ferrari then IMHO do it right and get a good one. The 80s saying springs to mind, '911 in the drive but bu66er all in the fridge' Buying such a vehicle IMHO should be an experience not a 'phew I can afford one'.
Old 01 November 2005, 12:43 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

I'm currently thinking about 996 or early e46 M3. I like the idea of a 911 but I've lost more than my fair share to the demon depreciation in my time to want to waste big money on one. With that in mind I cant see them falling rapidly in value once they hit 20k.

I admit part of the attraction with the 996 is vanity - detango'd and with a private plate most punters cant tell whether its a 98 or an 05 model.

I dont want a VX as already have an Elise as a weekend toy.
Old 01 November 2005, 01:06 PM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilf
Thanks for the replies.

I'm currently thinking about 996 or early e46 M3. I like the idea of a 911 but I've lost more than my fair share to the demon depreciation in my time to want to waste big money on one. With that in mind I cant see them falling rapidly in value once they hit 20k.

I admit part of the attraction with the 996 is vanity - detango'd and with a private plate most punters cant tell whether its a 98 or an 05 model.

I dont want a VX as already have an Elise as a weekend toy.
A 22-25k E46 M3 will depreciate a lot more than a 27-30k 996 over the next 3-5 years.
I don't see rhd 996's hitting 20k this side of 4 years.
You only have to look at E36 M3 values to see where the E46 will go.

Plus the 996 is so much more, far more special in every department.
Porsche are what dreams are made of, the M3, though a good car, is just another 3 series.

However, if your budget is sub 25K, go for the M3.
Old 01 November 2005, 08:42 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

'ere Ive been driving one for 10 months - yes the early ones were prone to engine failure - but evidently its easy to spot.

The one I bought had covered 48K miles last jan, but it had just had a new engine fitted as the last one had a cracked cylinder. Evidently late T plates were sorted out, so you just need to be careful with the early ones.

Oh yeah - definitely look for one with the clear lenses - the orange ones are well naff and lets face it (he stands up waiting for a good kicking from boxster owners) - make it look like a boxster!

I was also recommended to steer clear of the C4 - you simply wont see the benefit unless you are on a track.

The early ones had PSM (Porsche Stability Managment) - mine doesnt have it and its a real hoot!

Just remember you need to treat these beasties we some respect !

T.
Old 01 November 2005, 09:37 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

OK a bottom level 911 is still pretty special.

If you are looking at a 7 year old 911, you are hardly going to look at a VX220.....I mean, can you get a set of clubs in that? Would you fancy driving though Europe in it? You might compare an M3.....but never a VX220!

There is nothing wrong with an old 100k miles 996..people buy what they can afford. And to be fair an early 996 with 100k miles will probably be in the same condition as a 4/5 year old car with 50k miles.

Personally I'm no fan of the 996 range (apart from the GT1 bottom end kind) it's not as well built as the cars that came before it, or as special....but it is still a good car. I do wonder if there cars will have the appeal of other 911 cars in 20 years time........I assume not.

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I just can't imagine why you'd spend £20k on a bottom level, 7yo porsche with 100k miles when the same money could get you a mint year old vx220 turbo (which is real world faster no doubt) or a whole host of newer, faster, more interesting cars, etc. It must just be me but does being able to say you own a 911 really mean that much If you're going to get a 911/Ferrari then IMHO do it right and get a good one. The 80s saying springs to mind, '911 in the drive but bu66er all in the fridge' Buying such a vehicle IMHO should be an experience not a 'phew I can afford one'.
Old 01 November 2005, 09:50 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

I just can't imagine why you'd spend £20k on a bottom level, 7yo Porsche with 100k miles when the same money could get you a mint year old vx220 turbo (which is real world faster no doubt) or a whole host of newer, faster, more interesting cars, etc. It must just be me but does being able to say you own a 911 really mean that much If you're going to get a 911/Ferrari then IMHO do it right and get a good one. The 80s saying springs to mind, '911 in the drive but bu66er all in the fridge' Buying such a vehicle IMHO should be an experience not a 'phew I can afford one'.
You what?

Comparing a Porsche to VX200 is hardly relevant or even pertinent to the discussion. You may as well say buy a new MY05 WRX! Having had two 993, yes, for me the fact of driving a 911 was amazing and they were without a doubt the best two cars I have ever owned. Although the current car of a MY05 PPP WRX is some 7 bhp less than the varioram 993 I had, they are chalk and cheese in class, quality and looks (and insurance for a car over twice the price of the WRX) - space is about the only thing the WRX beats it on.

I was always going to go for a 993 but I liked the 996 as well but certainly, while it may be over-hyped, you need to be aware of early models and at least check what the engine has or has not had done. It's a lot of money and your pride and joy, so you'll care for it more.

You will not regret buying a 911 as it's a wonderful car to have. My goal was to have own a 911 in my lifetime, I was lucky enough to do it when I hit 30, and it was a great experience. If you;re thinking about it, do it. The M3 is a great car as well, but the letters 9-1-1 will always be unique!
Old 01 November 2005, 10:29 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

A buddy has just bought a Boxster, and yeah because its a Porsche, he was going to buy an S2000 and when he drove the Boxster he changed his mind, the Boxster was better in every department, and the noise!!!!! i would imagine a 996 would be even better - and certainly would sound better than any VX220 (even if it is faster) or any other poxy four cylinder for that matter!
Old 01 November 2005, 10:37 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
A buddy has just bought a Boxster, and yeah because its a Porsche, he was going to buy an S2000 and when he drove the Boxster he changed his mind, the Boxster was better in every department, and the noise!!!!! i would imagine a 996 would be even better - and certainly would sound better than any VX220 (even if it is faster) or any other poxy four cylinder for that matter!

Seconded.

A mate of mine had the Boxster S. Had a drive in it and I was smitten, and now 996's are down to (relatively) sensible money.....

Tempted!
Old 02 November 2005, 10:46 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Comparing a Porsche to VX200 is hardly relevant or even pertinent to the discussion.
My point was mearly that I don't understand why people would strive so hard to dangle at the bottom of the 911 food chain. The other day I was going for lunch when I saw a white old shape 911 parked up in reasonable condition. Still a nice aggressive shape but with a horror dash. It occured to me that his car cost the same or more than mines and I had a chuckle to myself as I'd much rather have mines.

The vx220 was the first car for around £20k that jumped into my head - there are many others including a newer, lower mileage, better condition boxter S as has been mentioned.

I'm not so much a 911 guy but aspire to own a Ferrari one day. That said I won't just go out with £25k and get one as to me that isn't living the dream. I may never have a enough money to have a new or nearly new one but that's half the fun/challenge of aspiring to own a such a special car.

Wilf clearly admits his reasons are in part vanity and I totally repect him for saying that. For me its just not that big a consideration and for £20k I can think of a lot of other cars I'd rather have.
Old 02 November 2005, 10:49 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

A buddy has just bought a Boxster, and yeah because its a Porsche, he was going to buy an S2000 and when he drove the Boxster he changed his mind, the Boxster was better in every department, and the noise!!!!!
Cogratulations - you're the first person I've heard in 6 years levy any critisism at the noise of the S2000. Yes its just a four cylinder but the noise is pure art. Especially with a full decat single exit fitted
Old 02 November 2005, 11:04 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Some people like older cars, that does not mean they are bottom of the food chain.

An early 8 year old standard 996 is still faster than nealry all standard jap car produced in 2005! If thats bottom of the food chain, then many would probably be OK with that.

By the way I saw a guy the other day in a S2000 who had changed his exhaust, from the nice standard two exit pipes to one dustbin sized thing that just made a lot of noise.....whats the point of that? His car is left with an unused gap?????
Old 02 November 2005, 11:10 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Some people like older cars, that does not mean they are bottom of the food chain.
This is true - personally I like a newer car and generally if I was to have an older car is would be a 2nd car. For example I'd love a heavily blown 200sx or something like that for crail, drifting, etc.

I agree the 'missing pipe' looks gash and currently my car suffers from it. However, there is a cap that fits neatly over the whole of the black part at the rear of the bumper to give it much cleaner lines. I also agree with the 'noise' thing. From 1000-4000rpm my single makes a hell of a lot of noise and probably sounds little different to a saxo/clio with a big-bore. From 6k onwards however you'd best be bringing an F1 car to the aural party

I'm off to play the autotrader game with £20k
Old 02 November 2005, 11:25 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'd be temped by:

This
This
This, for straightline fun, noise, torque and tunability
This
This, but only with a very good warranty
And this with mods

But Wilf wants a 911 so its probably best we drop this line of discussion.

This doesn't look shabby at all if you can get some movement on his price and stretch a little - I'd have that!
Old 02 November 2005, 11:26 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I'd suggest most older (than 9 years) Porsches are used as 2nd cars.

Although older cars cost a bit to keep going, they dont depreciate like newer jap perfromance cars either.....

There is something pretty good about owning a 15 year old car, that is as fast as a new STi/Evo Especially when they start blaming not being fast on heat soak, brakes being crap etc etc
Old 02 November 2005, 11:28 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Most of the cars you mention are about max bang for your buck, an old Porsche is so much more than that....for a start you get brakes that work!

Hey, that last car is at the bottom of the 911 food chain!!!!!!! Why would anyone want that

Last edited by davyboy; 02 November 2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02 November 2005, 11:30 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, all fair points davy. That said I reeled in a 911 no problem the other day. In fairness it was very very old (1970s air cooled old). Me and my passenger were nevertheless impressed by the noise it made. This thing made a noise that stuck two fingers up at catalitic converters or emissions regulations
Old 02 November 2005, 11:31 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Because its got the more modern alloys to complete the illusion wilf is after. In fairness I'd not be able to tell that from a modern one with a private plate and cleaned up and 72k miles isn't crazy by any means. I think I'd still rather have the experience of walking into a showroom and saying, 'I want the turbo with all the extras'
Old 02 November 2005, 11:42 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Even a 70s one could have around 200 bhp, but only weight just over 1000kg.

In fact an early 70s one with a later 231bhp 3.2 engine would be my idea of fun!

Like this....(although a 60'2 based one)

Old 02 November 2005, 12:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Looked like that - maybe even an older version if there is such a thing?
Old 02 November 2005, 12:45 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

I've not long had a 911 C2 (964 model) and i use it as every day transport. Its nearly fifteen years old and is faster than the WRX i had. The handling is great but in the wet WRX was a much quicker and easier drive. The dash is a laugh, still finding new switches every day tucked away. Always wanted one and like all my cars, i don't keep them forever as i like a change as i'm sure many others on this board do.
Visit some websites for useful info such as this one.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forum...?s=&forumid=32
Old 02 November 2005, 12:58 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Cogratulations - you're the first person I've heard in 6 years levy any critisism at the noise of the S2000. Yes its just a four cylinder but the noise is pure art. Especially with a full decat single exit fitted
Hey dont shoot the messenger, just a comment off my buddy! he said it sounded crap next to a Boxster, only relaying a message!
Old 02 November 2005, 01:13 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Whats his phone no
Old 02 November 2005, 01:18 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Whats his phone no
Dial 0800 big bast**d

Only messing with you mate, only 'cos i knew you had an S2000 truth is the S2000 was way more to insure than the Boxster so he had to knock it on the head!!!!

Quick Reply: Early 3.4 996s - bargain or bucket?