Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

ANYONE GOT A VAUXHALL MONARO V8 OR KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2005, 08:34 PM
ROSSCNEW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANYONE GOT A VAUXHALL MONARO V8 OR KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM

My Mate is thinking about buying a Vauxhall monaro v8 its 350bhp . He knows they are greddy on petrol . appart from that are they good cars?

Any information will be greatly appreciated
Old 30 October 2005, 09:33 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ROSSCNEW
My Mate is thinking about buying a Vauxhall monaro v8 its 350bhp . He knows they are greddy on petrol . appart from that are they good cars?

Any information will be greatly appreciated
They are Poo with a capital P.
Old 30 October 2005, 10:16 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

A number of magazines have them as long termers and love them. Marcymarc - could you justify your comment please. Why are they poo, upper or lower case.
Old 30 October 2005, 10:22 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

They are Poo with a capital P.
its worth waiting for someone with a valued opinion to answer you mate

.. have a look here for starters

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...ghlight=monaro
Old 30 October 2005, 10:27 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Fuel consumption in very bad , parts are expensive and depriciation is the monaros middle name.
Old 30 October 2005, 10:31 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadGrip
its worth waiting for someone with a valued opinion to answer you mate

.. have a look here for starters

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...ghlight=monaro
If you read the post properly you will notice that a question was asked , i gave an answer and was then asked to justify my reasons for the car being poo.

So why would this guy need for someone with a valued opinion to answer the reason i think they are poo. You silly silly man
Old 30 October 2005, 10:31 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Fuel consumption in very bad , parts are expensive and depriciation is the monaros middle name.
sounds similar to a blue car with gold wheels, except maybe it goes a bit quicker

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2005, 10:37 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

If any one likes throwing money away then buying a moron-o is a good way to do it, they have all the attributes of a car that will be worth a grand in 5 years time.
Old 30 October 2005, 10:39 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

similar to an rs turbo fiesta maybe ??

I'm not trying to have a go, but unless you've owned one(which I haven't) then how can you give such a negative answer as "Its Poo" ?

surely someone with first hand experience should be the person to give him advice, hence the link

you silly silly man

Last edited by MadGrip; 30 October 2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 30 October 2005, 10:44 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

similar to an rs turbo fiesta maybe ??
I.ll tell you what , a fiesta rs turbo is a minimum of 13yrs old and fetch anything from 1.5k to 6k for a beauty, a vauxhall morano will be lucky to be worth 100 quid in 13 years..

so in reply to your post , no an rs turbo fiesta is not simmlar at all.

You silly silly man
Old 30 October 2005, 10:45 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I think the guy wanted advice, so I gave him a link to someone who'd bought one, answer to a question ? I think so..

sweet dreams & dont forget your homework tomorrow (jk)
Old 30 October 2005, 10:50 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

I think the guy wanted advice, so I gave him a link to someone who'd bought one, answer to a question ? I think so..

sweet dreams & dont forget your homework tomorrow (jk)
If you take time out to read my previous posts you will find that i am a veteran of the impreza world having owned a uk turbo , jdm wrx and a sti type r v5.

Just because i posted a topic in concern to a cheap fiesta rs turbo that does not make me a school kid.People young and old - rich and poor drive Rs vehicles .

There is a few guys on here with 5 turbos , pug 205,s etc who have got a spec-c in the garage.
Old 30 October 2005, 10:53 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I fail to see your point, but I dont think we need to spoil his thread for advice any further

Phil
Old 30 October 2005, 11:00 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

I fail to see your point, but I dont think we need to spoil his thread for advice any further

Phil
I failed to see your point when you compaired a Fiesta rs turbo to a morano, i also failed to see your point when you asked me not to forget my homework.

LOSER
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by marcymarc555
If you take time out to read my previous posts you will find that i am a veteran of the impreza world having owned a uk turbo , jdm wrx and a sti type r v5.

Would you mind me asking what your opinions of those scoobs you owned...taking into the account the same logic applied to the Monaro (fuel consumption, residuals and stupidly high parts prices)??
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

-------------------------
www.UK-Performance.Net

Last edited by MadGrip; 30 October 2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 30 October 2005, 11:08 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Would you mind me asking what your opinions of those scoobs you owned...taking into the account the same logic applied to the Monaro (fuel consumption, residuals and stupidly high parts prices)??
I already have.

Simple really , eg .take a type r v5 , say a 98 which is now 7 going on 8 yrs old and still fetching 13-14k .

I will stand hanging if any moron-o is worth 13-14k in 7 or 8 yrs.
Old 30 October 2005, 11:08 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again I haven't driven one but the general opinion in the motoring press is that they are great fun, a little industrial but good old fashioned rear drive fun.

Describing them as poo is nonsense.
Old 30 October 2005, 11:10 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

-------------------------
www.UK-Performance.Net
I dont know what your smiling at , you started an argument and lost.
Old 30 October 2005, 11:15 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Give it a rest you troll!
Old 30 October 2005, 11:16 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate - I went from an STi5 Type R to a CV8 Monaro.....

Had to sort out the sound 1st of all so decatted it and bunged on some noisy pipes & 4-1 manifolds, sounded like a TVR on steroids - very nice, exhausts were from here: www.lindenspecialvehicles.com

Had it remapped by www.wortec.co.uk and it was about 410bhp when I finished modding it.

MPG - used to get 31mpg on the motorway (London - Leeds) which was more than the scooby, insurance was less than the scooby, and servicing was dirt cheap.

The best thing is wherever you go people always stop to look under the bonnet & chat, like the scooby was years and years ago.

Unfortuately I had a baby 3 months ago, and the Monaro does not do baby seats in the front (airbags) so I did the right thing and sold it, I really miss it - they are fantastic cars, you can leave miles of rubber everywhere, the sound of a V8 is divine, the standard spec is very high - plus who gives a fxxk about residuals - you lose money on most cars these days and you only live once !!!

Last edited by DanTheMan; 30 October 2005 at 11:24 PM. Reason: wrong web addys
Old 30 October 2005, 11:23 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DanTheMan
Hi Mate - I went from an STi5 Type R to a CV8 Monaro.....

Had to sort out the sound 1st of all so decatted it and bunged on some noisy pipes & 4-1 manifolds, sounded like a TVR on steroids - very nice, exhausts were from here: www.lindenspecialvehicles.com

Had it remapped by www.wortec.co.uk and it was about 410bhp when I finished modding it.

MPG - used to get 29mpg on the motorway which was exactly the same as the scooby, insurance was less than the scooby, and servicing was dirt cheap.

The best thing is wherever you go people always stop to look under the bonnet & chat, like the scooby was years and years ago.

Unfortuately I had a baby 3 months ago, and the Monaro does not do baby seats in the front (airbags) so I did the right thing and sold it, I really miss it - they are fantastic cars, you can leave miles of rubber everywhere, the sound of a V8 is divine, the standard spec is very high - plus who gives a fxxk about residuals - you lose money on most cars these days and you only live once !!!
I cant argue with that mate , a fair first hand opinion.
Old 30 October 2005, 11:25 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Just edited my 1st post, remembered I was getting 31mpg after the mods !!!!
Old 31 October 2005, 08:58 AM
Stryder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marcymarc555
I already have.

Simple really , eg .take a type r v5 , say a 98 which is now 7 going on 8 yrs old and still fetching 13-14k .

I will stand hanging if any moron-o is worth 13-14k in 7 or 8 yrs.
The the Holden HSV GTS were the cars that the Monaro's where based on. they are still fetching good money despite there age and mileage. Also, you should consider that the Monaro was only imported on an specfic order basis, and now that they no longer make them, this will ensure there exclusivity on the uk roads. This in turn will ensure that there values are maintained, especially in VXR trim.

In terms of servicing, I was told that the engines are fairly basic in design, and are quite easy to work on. Much like the old Ford and Rover V8's. And I have been informed that these V8's are very robust and will take a large amount of abuse without going wrong. Serving interval reflecting this (15-20k).

See links below:

*multi-photos 2000 W Reg HOLDEN HSV GTS VTII Grovenor Car Sales Manual 6 speed, Petrol, 30,000 miles, Metallic Gold. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, CD, Central locking, Child locks, Climate Control, Colour . . . . (trade)
£24,995
267 miles
*multi-photos 2000 X Reg HOLDEN HSV HSV GTS VT2 Wigan Sports & Prestige Manual 6 speed, Saloon, 54,000 miles, Metallic Pearl Silver Metallic. Very rare and UK registered from new ( Number 26) with a full service history. All usual spec on this 5.7 litre alloy V8 engined . . . . (trade)
£19,995
167 miles
Old 31 October 2005, 11:50 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

As has been said, do people really care about residuals these days, unless buying brand new

All cars are money pits, and if you like modding them then you may as well burn handfuls of money as well.

My 205 has cost £6k now and I will never see that money again, its bloody good fun though and many of the London folk on here will pay that in rent over a 3 month period
Old 31 October 2005, 11:51 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

PS I know living in London has nothing to do with anything in the topic, but just been down there this weekend and saw some average flats costing between £1500 and £12,000 a month to rent, which made me feel quite good about the expenditure on the car
Old 31 October 2005, 11:56 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

London prices mate

Anyway check out the HSV drivers club, there are some scooby converts on there

http://www.hsv.org.uk/

The drivers club is so small you get free invites to the VIP lounge at GT racing events - excellent days out.

I don't think you can compare the two cars in the handling area as they were not built for the same role, the Monaro is quite heavy at 1646KG's and the gearing is quite long to stop the wheels spinning too much and to aid mpg, however work out the power/weight ratio of mine (1646kg/410bhp) is 249bhp/ton which is more than a Porche 993RS (1270kg/300bhp) 236bhp/ton, some of the Holden owners swap the rear diff to shorten the gear ratio and they really do the 1/4 at some lick, plus any 993RS would **** over the Monaro in the twisties. V8 Top speed is way in excess of 170mph and I can remember my TypeR almost hitting a wall once you get well into 3 figures as the aerodynamics took their toll wheras the Monaro pulls away even stronger.

Driving style is like chalk and cheese, I liked the scooby because its really seems to focus your mind, however its very clinical, it sticks like glue, and I prefered the typeR over standard scoobs due to the DCCD and the hooligan rwd bias - obviously the Monaro is totally rwd so you end up tailsliding everywhere which I love, it really puts a grin on your face and involves a lot more driver input (opposite lock & throttle control).

Its a mile eater, driving from Surrey to Scotland on a regular basis you really apreciate the dual zone a/c, the 6CD stacker, the leather and electric everything, and the amazing mpg, and when you get there you love hooning around the back lanes but its crap in the snow - scooby wins hands down once it freezes, plus they always win in the twisties as everyone will point out.

Each to their own, the Impreza is a fantastic car and I would have another anyday, but after years of Impreza ownership the Monaro just seemed to be that little more special.
Old 31 October 2005, 02:05 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

marcymarc are you 12?

Old 31 October 2005, 03:55 PM
AlboyVI
Scooby Newbie

id just like to add that the guy on the MLR that bought a monaro sold it within 2 months and was back in an evo. it all depends on what your looking fo in a car i spose, and he wasnt ready for the monaro yet and missed his evo
Old 31 October 2005, 07:21 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by homerjay
marcymarc are you 12?

yes i am, well spotted.

Quick Reply: ANYONE GOT A VAUXHALL MONARO V8 OR KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM