Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the RS6 please!!!

Anyone? Honest ones tho.

THanks
Old 29 October 2005, 02:06 AM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

De-restricted they are really quick cars, especially top end.
Imagine seeing the estate version fly past you at near 200mph.
You wouldn't belive your eyes.

Last edited by leonpoole; 29 October 2005 at 02:10 AM.
Old 29 October 2005, 02:10 AM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

never driven one but one of my favourite cars!
Old 29 October 2005, 02:13 AM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Although i've never driven one as they are totally out of my price range, but are you thinking of buying one big MO ?
Old 29 October 2005, 02:26 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Serious pace, however i've heard some negative reports about handling however I don't have first hand experiance myself. They sound amazing.

Go have a nice long test drive
Old 29 October 2005, 11:31 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the Garys on here has one, I think Collier. Says it has crushing performance and is utterly capable, but a bit dull to drive.

Edit- here you go:
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=416985

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 29 October 2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 29 October 2005, 11:46 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

' but a bit dull to drive.'

In that case, I will swap him for a Saab 9-3.

Trending Topics

Old 29 October 2005, 11:49 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Great car in terms of performance, and a bit of a sleeper. However comparing it to the E39 M5 and it is unanimously said to have worse handling, poor steering feel and the killer for me is the slush-o-matic whereas the M5 has a 6-speed manual.

So unless you need a wagon then it'd have to be the M5 IMO if you want the most enjoyment.
Old 29 October 2005, 12:50 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I still have my RS6 – thanks for digging out the link Brendan.

I’ve clocked up quite a few thousand miles in mine now. I’m a fully fledged member of the RS6 appreciation society now - I love it. It really is an amazing all-round vehicle. If you need an enormously fast big car with all the toys, regularly do long journeys and have kids, luggage etc to ferry around, there’s no finer vehicle IMO.

The sound track is fantastic and turns a lot of heads, normally followed by bemused looks as it’s a (fairly) innocent looking audi estate car making it! I’ve had people come up to me in car parks asking what the hell it is after hearing it.

The car handles well and is completely safe and predictable with bucket-loads of grip. There is justification in the criticisms that the handling is not particularly entertaining though, and in back to back tests against the M5 it always comes second-best in the handling department. But you have to put that in the perspective of a road test which is not necessarily the same as owning the car and real-world use. When I’m driving back from Scotland or the Netherlands at night in the dark and it’s lashing down with rain, I want to make fast and sure-footed progress; the last thing on my mind is whether I can balance the car on opposite lock on a roundabout. Would I swap mine for an M5? The answer is a firm ‘No’.

I had reservations about the tiptronic box before buying, but it suits the car much better than a manual would. What you lose out to a manual in terms of ultimate driver involvement is more than made up for by making driving more relaxing, ease of use around town (where you can actually make better progress because you can launch into gaps in traffic you wouldn’t attempt in a manual), and the ability to use the paddles behind the wheel when the need arises.

The big group tests in the like of Evo magazine sum up the car perfectly. Out of the dozen or so cars they test, the RS6 inevitably comes out last in terms of pure driver entertainment when they’re thrashing across Welsh A and B roads. But when the test is finished and someone has to make an early start for a long drive home, it’s inevitably the RS6 which is first to leave the car park.

Gary.
Old 29 October 2005, 03:59 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

I've had a RS6 Saloon for six months and I love it to bits. It is the best car I have owned and unlike my previous cars I like it increasingly, rather than love it then gradually become bored - if that makes any sense?

I think Audi RS cars tend to really grow on people over time - they are more biased for everyday use rather than track use. Lets face it we all spend 99% of our time on the road. Don't get me wrong the RS6 handles well (it has self levelling suspension etc) but the M5 feels a little more nimble.

I've taken it to the 'ring and a couple of trackdays and, while it's no Caterham, it is a lot of fun to drive.

My previous car was a 996 C4 and a BMW M car before that. If I had to make the decision again, I'd choose the RS6 in a heartbeat.

To me the best bits are:
-The relentless acceleration, it still shocks me!
-the sound
-the build quality
-brakes (8-pot at the front)
-rareness
-tuneability - you can safely get +80bhp through chipping

The bad bits are:
-Fuel consumption (average 18mpg), but it is a 450bhp 4.2 V8 with a couple of turbos!
-No memory seats (I know, its picky)
-Ummm, nothing else annoys me about the car

Last edited by Skittles; 29 October 2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 29 October 2005, 04:43 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

My opinion? If you can afford one buy one

Based purely from seeing it and the passenger seat of one.

The sound makes me go - wibble, blah blah, wibble.
Old 29 October 2005, 06:17 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear the running costs are a nightmare, could the owners shed some light on this?
Old 29 October 2005, 07:06 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob D
I hear the running costs are a nightmare, could the owners shed some light on this?
Fuel consumption is high as you would expect - I've averaged 18.8mpg over the past 3000 miles.

Insurance is surprisingly cheap. Mine is £700 per annum (35 year old, decent area, full NCB, 3 points).

Audi recently introduced and then subsequently withdrew a labour-intensive cambelt check every 20,000 miles. This cost about £450 which had a lot of owners bitching.

I'm not sure of the exact price of regular servicing. I think a few hundred for the small service, about £500-600 every 2 years for the major service and £1000 for a cambelt change. Will stand corrected on these figures though.

As for consumables, tyres are around £200 per corner, and if you use the full performance and braking of the car you're looking at fairly regular pad and disk changes.

Gary.
Old 29 October 2005, 07:21 PM
JamieMiller
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by leonpoole
De-restricted they are really quick cars, especially top end.
Imagine seeing the estate version fly past you at near 200mph.
You wouldn't belive your eyes.
I was overtaken by one, a blue saloon with the reg. RS** TOY. I was sitting at about 110mph on the road north from Reims to Calais. This thing was flat out as it passed and its wake nearly blew my wee subaru off the road. Fantastic to watch though and it was very thoughtful of the driver to keep the Gendarmes busy while I cruised to the tunnel, although this didn't slow it much when they eventually got away and passed again at about the same rate of knots. I then saw it again in the car park for the tunnel and thyat was the last I saw before heading home. All I can say is it made my car feel slow.
PS I'm sure they wouldn't be hitting those speeds on their return to the UK.
Old 29 October 2005, 08:07 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Its one of those cars I've never driven but love. Yes I know that sounds odd...
Old 29 October 2005, 08:17 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Nathan L
My opinion? If you can afford one buy one

Based purely from seeing it and the passenger seat of one.

The sound makes me go - wibble, blah blah, wibble.
Ah, another eloquent member of the mods team

Although on this I agree. Wonderful cars. Whenever I draw up a list of cars i'd like to own, the RS6 always features. Soundtrack alone is worth the money. There's a guy near me who has an MTM version - obviously the standard one wasn't very quick
Old 29 October 2005, 08:34 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Also a huge fan of these - never driven or been in one, but was following one in my mates WRX - he went to overtake as the road became duel-carrigeway, but then the RS6 just took off like Ive never seen anything do and completely left the scooby for dead!
Old 29 October 2005, 08:56 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw one in Manchester about 18 months ago, the reg was AUD1 !
Old 29 October 2005, 09:38 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Nice plate

The new A8 rumoured to be fitted with the engine from the Gallardo might be quite good fun too
Old 29 October 2005, 10:59 PM
andymar00
Scooby Regular

Just been and bought one this afternoon, been looking for a sensible replacement for the 996 C2, excellent all-round package doesn’t have the handling of the Porsche but feels solid and planted on the road obviously massive amounts of grip.

Negative would be kick down on auto box a bit jerky some times but I’m booking it in at AMD for milltek exhausts and remap on ECU and gearbox which apparently sorts it out and adds about 60 BHP
Old 29 October 2005, 11:34 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I had one for a couple of days.
Incredibly quick drag car. From the lights, it was amazing. Being an automatic, it has an amazing amount of available torque from the off which meant quick progress everywhere.

Sounds was wonderful.

Some very well said words about journalists and their inability to judge things realistically. I don't think Audi marketed this car as a track solution, but it does what's intended probably better than anyone.

Go for Avant too
Old 30 October 2005, 07:14 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Agree with Cem - got to have the Avant There is something slightly surreal about an estate car going this fast.
Old 30 October 2005, 10:29 AM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

One of my favourite looking cars
Old 30 October 2005, 11:41 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andymar00
Just been and bought one this afternoon, been looking for a sensible replacement for the 996 C2, excellent all-round package doesn’t have the handling of the Porsche but feels solid and planted on the road obviously massive amounts of grip.

Negative would be kick down on auto box a bit jerky some times but I’m booking it in at AMD for milltek exhausts and remap on ECU and gearbox which apparently sorts it out and adds about 60 BHP
Congratulations mate, and welcome to the fold.

What spec/colour did you go for?
Old 30 October 2005, 12:29 PM
andymar00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skittles
Congratulations mate, and welcome to the fold.

What spec/colour did you go for?
Thanks,
It’s a 53 saloon Daytona grey silver grey leather looks very under stated
I’m not 100% sure what are options or factory fit as I know they are pretty much loaded as standard
It’s absolutely mint apart from two tiny marks on the bonnet which is very surprising for a performance car not even scuffs on drivers seat bolster, just been serviced and 12 months Audi warranty so fingers crossed apart from petrol should be sorted for next 12 months
Even cheap insurance £444 (Rural post code)

Andy
Old 30 October 2005, 12:35 PM
big MO
Scooby Regular

mine

Decided that the P1 and the 330ci convertible had to go for something more sensible. Thanks for the comments chaps.
Old 31 October 2005, 05:40 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Gary,

"When I’m driving back from Scotland or the Netherlands at night in the dark and it’s lashing down with rain, I want to make fast and sure-footed progress; the last thing on my mind is whether I can balance the car on opposite lock on a roundabout. Would I swap mine for an M5? The answer is a firm ‘No’."

Actually I had a chat with John Barker (by far the most sensitive of evo's testers) 2 or so years back. He told me (as he wrote in an artle in the mag at the time) that he had just been out for a back to back thrash in a RS6 and Porsche Cayanne. He said there was simply no comparison, the Cayanne had the RS6 in every dept, from predicability to steering feel, to wheel travel, to progessive on-limit behavior. He told me that the RS6 was actually NOT able to keep up with the Cayanne on the more challanging roads. And lets be realistic here, the Cayanne is a boat but the RS6 is almost as heavy, and thats real heavy. Actually I think an older Audi 200 with torsen would be a safer more involving drive than the RS6 as well.

I tend to believe mr. Barker. As road testers go he is tops.
Old 31 October 2005, 10:58 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeremy
Actually I think an older Audi 200 with torsen would be a safer more involving drive than the RS6 as well.
Umm, IMHO thats highly unlikely!
Old 31 October 2005, 11:52 AM
Stryder
Scooby Regular

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

RS6
Old 31 October 2005, 01:25 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

a good compromise is perhaps a rs4? you keep the manual element, and imo looks a bit more special, certainly i prefer the alloys and round exhausts to the chunky 5 spokes and oval exhausts, that is personal preferance

i also personally prefer the sound of the 2.7 v6 to the v8 once again though each to there own. speed wise , de-limited the v8 is gonna have the legs on the v6 purely on displacement terms but acceleration not much to seperate the two.

out of the two i'd opt for a RS4 in red or yellow, but it you want subtle looks and easy to use massive go rs6 is a better buy

both are good cars though

Quick Reply: Opinions on the RS6 please!!!