Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Saab Turbos.. 1k-5k bracket. Opinions Please..

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2005, 12:28 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saab Turbos.. 1k-5k bracket. Opinions Please..

Whilst searching around for a suitable oil burner I've spotted a couple of Saabs, not diesel but appear to offer a lot of car for the cash.. in some cases 1-2k.

Any opinions on these please
Old 27 October 2005, 01:00 PM
dangerous100
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very heavy cars with fairly small turbo engines(2.0-2.3) with anything up to 200hp so fuel consumption is not great.but they should last as they are built like a tank!
bryan
Old 27 October 2005, 01:04 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dangerous100
very heavy cars with fairly small turbo engines(2.0-2.3) with anything up to 200hp so fuel consumption is not great.but they should last as they are built like a tank!
bryan
True, any ideas on weight? Anyone used them? Aaverage MPG?
Old 27 October 2005, 01:08 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 1996 900 turbo last year and the average consumption was in the teens if I was lucky! On a run I was getting about 25 mpg and I got it into single figures on a blast They are nice cars but I couldn't live with the seats or fuel consumption.
Old 27 October 2005, 01:12 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Hi Scoobyd00

You are right. You do get a hell of lot of car for your money.
For the 1-2k budget you will easily be able to find a nice 2.3 full pressure turbo 9000. 200bhp. Or for a little more a 9000 aero with 225bhp. A great basis for some good modifications. 300bhp easily acheivable plus they are very stong cars. With the correct care even 300bhp+ examples are good for well over 200,000 miles.

Also the aero (I've got one) is good for close to 40mpg on a run. 28-32 with town driving so not too bad considering its the best part of 1500kg.

I sold my old fully loaded 9000CS 2.3T with 120000 miles for £1000 not so long ago.

http://www.maptun.com/webshop/produc...318&produkt=82
Old 27 October 2005, 01:15 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Paul

I know effectively nothing about the newer GM saabs but that fuel economy sounds terrible! Was it being caned a lot??

My old classic 900 Turbo would return about 25 in town.

I'm currently on pre-GM saab number 7! Sheesh... i really need to get out more!
Old 27 October 2005, 01:24 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I had a 1996 900 turbo last year and the average consumption was in the teens if I was lucky! On a run I was getting about 25 mpg and I got it into single figures on a blast They are nice cars but I couldn't live with the seats or fuel consumption.
Hmmm... I still get round 200 miles in my 20g'd STi... No better then. Perhaps the TDi then..

Trending Topics

Old 27 October 2005, 01:26 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrettC
Hi Scoobyd00

You are right. You do get a hell of lot of car for your money.
For the 1-2k budget you will easily be able to find a nice 2.3 full pressure turbo 9000. 200bhp. Or for a little more a 9000 aero with 225bhp. A great basis for some good modifications. 300bhp easily acheivable plus they are very stong cars. With the correct care even 300bhp+ examples are good for well over 200,000 miles.

Also the aero (I've got one) is good for close to 40mpg on a run. 28-32 with town driving so not too bad considering its the best part of 1500kg.

I sold my old fully loaded 9000CS 2.3T with 120000 miles for £1000 not so long ago.

http://www.maptun.com/webshop/produc...318&produkt=82
Cheers, got to be honest with myself. TDi but they do seem a great choice for no cash
Old 27 October 2005, 01:26 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Paul

I know effectively nothing about the newer GM saabs but that fuel economy sounds terrible! Was it being caned a lot??

My old classic 900 Turbo would return about 25 in town.

I'm currently on pre-GM saab number 7! Sheesh... i really need to get out more!
Once or twice On a run I took the inlaws to France though and cruising at 70mph on cruise it returned 23 mpg

On a 7 mpg run you could do this though

Cracking fun if you can live with the economy and seats
Old 27 October 2005, 01:27 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Once or twice On a run I took the inlaws to France though and cruising at 70mph on cruise it returned 23 mpg

On a 7 mpg run you could do this though

Cracking fun if you can live with the economy and seats
YOU NEED HEATWRAP BADLY, LOL
Old 27 October 2005, 04:38 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

old skool cool.

the old turbos were built to last and they do it well.

There is one that always parks in the metro center multistory, its a BRG colour, immaculate, thats i heard that it was running around the 360 bhp mark with around 295ft/lb torque. Noy sure if this is correct.

Either way, there cracking cars for the money, though im betting clean turbos are sort after

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/saab3.jpg

John
Old 27 October 2005, 04:53 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

John

Very nice!

Best colour too for an old school c900. Hey, its even got the 16" from a 9000 Aero.

Paul

Didn't realise that the seats were that bad in the Gm 900s.

The seats in the Aero are fantastic. Electric memory and heated.
http://www.saab9000.com/gallery/rfyu...s/100_0015.JPG

7mpg...had it been chipped or anything. Im still stunned at that fuel economy.

My Aero is genuinely getting about 38-40 mpg with all motorway driving at a steady 70ish. Admittedly the aero does have quite long gearing.
Old 27 October 2005, 04:54 PM
turbotroll
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
old skool cool.

There is one that always parks in the metro center multistory, its a BRG colour, immaculate, thats i heard that it was running around the 360 bhp mark with around 295ft/lb torque. Noy sure if this is correct.

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/saab3.jpg

John
Not correct - the torque would be much higher!!!

Wouldn't mind finding the owner if it's true though(metrocentre is 10 mins away from me), as I'd like to know what mods have been carried out. Should have my C900 on the road by January. For anyone interested, here's a photo log of its front end rebuild.

http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/900-turbo-rebuild

Last edited by turbotroll; 27 October 2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 27 October 2005, 05:03 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

My old Abbott Racing 9000 2.3T only had 255 bhp but 320 lb/ft.
When it was on the dyno it kept spinning the wheels in fourth!
It was quite funny. When I brought it in no one gave it a second glance but when they heard it and then saw a couple of mechanics having to sit on each front wing all of a sudden it gnerated quite an audience.

I just blamed it on crap front tyres! Toyo Proxies are crap arent they?
Old 27 October 2005, 05:13 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbotroll
Not correct - the torque would be much higher!!!

Wouldn't mind finding the owner if it's true though(metrocentre is 10 mins away from me), as I'd like to know what mods have been carried out. Should have my C900 on the road by January. For anyone interested, here's a photo log of its front end rebuild.

http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/900-turbo-rebuild
like i say, its what i heard.

and course its possible for the torque to be that, its also possible for it to be a lot more i might add as well... That would depend on very much what he had done to the car i would imagine, as with any car.

as for the car, not sure who it is, but its on the 3rd floor of the multistory near wetherspoons and the cinima. only seen it after work, and its always at the end near the exit ramps, an educated guess, but i reckon he works there

John
Old 27 October 2005, 05:14 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

i didnt say it had been tuned correctly now did i.

im going to find out who he is now, i would like to know...
Old 27 October 2005, 05:19 PM
turbotroll
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
i didnt say it had been tuned correctly now did i.

im going to find out who he is now, i would like to know...
Apologies - it was a sort of in-joke for Saab turbo nutters!
Old 27 October 2005, 05:22 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbotroll
Apologies - it was a sort of in-joke for Saab turbo nutters!
On the Getaway In Stockholm 5 video there's a nippy Saab. Not in my 2k Bracket tho! Only thing in fact that was good about GIS 5 was that Saab
Old 27 October 2005, 05:35 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

oops

i like the cars, but when it comes to knowing anything in depth about them, al shut my mouth lol
Old 27 October 2005, 06:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I bought a Y reg 9-3 2.0 LPT early this year, Full Saab history and 73,000 miles, new tyres, its only a base model, no leather or fancy bits but for a 26 mile round trip commute its great, I get near as dammit 30 mpg which is acceptable. An equivalent age and mileage diesel was getting on for twice the price, buys a lot of petrol that does.

Not the best handler but its reasonably competent (it is however based on a much modified Cavalier platform), I was and still am still surprised how quick it is for only 150 bhp (177 llbs ft/torque), I think its down to the small turbo that spools up quickly and is always there ready to give you some torque, 0-60 is 8 secs dead according to the figures which is enough for its intended use, 30-70 is between 7 and 8 secs and thats the useful one, for 500 quid it can be chipped to 225 bhp. They are basically all the same engine but with different turbos and software, the Viggen is a 2.3 though. I think the chassis is ok but much more than 150 bhp does overwhelm it without additional work (Viggen rescue kit)

Dont bother with the non turbos, the 2.0 is limp and the V6's are very rare and only in the older GM 900 (same shape as 9-3 but not as good/safe), leave the 80's style 900's to the enthusiasts as they are very old now and things have moved on, they were also very thirsty as the previous poster said, not saying they are no good, just not to everyones taste.

Watch out for smoke from cold, can mean the turbos on its way out, they all do it a bit, mine does occasionally but at 4 grand and falling I will just run it. Interior is well laid out and comfy, just a bit lacking in style.

9-5 is just a bigger version of the 9-3 really, same range of engines, if you dont need the extra size go for the 9-3 as its quicker for the same engine size. All are expensive new and cheap secondhand apart from the cabrios which are always more than twice the price (about 11/12 k for mine without a roof), they are also a bit wobbly on rough surfaces.

Overall, after a couple of disasters (Fiat Coupe, Rover BRM), going sensible for a while has prooved a good move (touch wood).
Old 27 October 2005, 06:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Anyway, who says they are that heavy, the 9-3 is only about 1300 kilos, about par for the class, a little under compared to the more modern stuff. Same weight incidentally as a Skoda Fabia VRS !
Old 27 October 2005, 06:24 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

My Saab 93 turbo is for sale in the general section..Its a 2001 SE 185bhp..Full leather,all the toys,full airflow kit and 17" aero alloys.
Car will do a genuine 40+ MPG on a run,which,lets be fair,its what there designed for.Handling isnt cutting edge,but seems to hang on fairly well on the A roads..All round a lot of car or the money,with cast iron reliabilty.
Cheap tax as well,no timing belt to worry about,very cheap to maintain..

Anyway..£4000 CASH NO OFFERS for mine...

Get ya cash out....LOL..
Old 27 October 2005, 06:36 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I bought a Y reg 9-3 2.0 LPT early this year, Full Saab history and 73,000 miles, new tyres, its only a base model, no leather or fancy bits but for a 26 mile round trip commute its great, I get near as dammit 30 mpg which is acceptable. An equivalent age and mileage diesel was getting on for twice the price, buys a lot of petrol that does.

Not the best handler but its reasonably competent (it is however based on a much modified Cavalier platform), I was and still am still surprised how quick it is for only 150 bhp (177 llbs ft/torque), I think its down to the small turbo that spools up quickly and is always there ready to give you some torque, 0-60 is 8 secs dead according to the figures which is enough for its intended use, 30-70 is between 7 and 8 secs and thats the useful one, for 500 quid it can be chipped to 225 bhp. They are basically all the same engine but with different turbos and software, the Viggen is a 2.3 though. I think the chassis is ok but much more than 150 bhp does overwhelm it without additional work (Viggen rescue kit)

Dont bother with the non turbos, the 2.0 is limp and the V6's are very rare and only in the older GM 900 (same shape as 9-3 but not as good/safe), leave the 80's style 900's to the enthusiasts as they are very old now and things have moved on, they were also very thirsty as the previous poster said, not saying they are no good, just not to everyones taste.

Watch out for smoke from cold, can mean the turbos on its way out, they all do it a bit, mine does occasionally but at 4 grand and falling I will just run it. Interior is well laid out and comfy, just a bit lacking in style.

9-5 is just a bigger version of the 9-3 really, same range of engines, if you dont need the extra size go for the 9-3 as its quicker for the same engine size. All are expensive new and cheap secondhand apart from the cabrios which are always more than twice the price (about 11/12 k for mine without a roof), they are also a bit wobbly on rough surfaces.

Overall, after a couple of disasters (Fiat Coupe, Rover BRM), going sensible for a while has prooved a good move (touch wood).
Good post.
Old 27 October 2005, 06:41 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Quite a while back now, in between Scoobys, had a 2.3Turbo 9000 CSE. Regularly got over 30mpg from it - couldn't believe it! Went like a rocket, all the kit - leather, climate, cruise, auto etc. Could fit anything in the back - the space with the back seats down is incredible! Wonderful car. Until my mother ran into the back of a merc! Still, he needed to be craned away; the Saab drove home (although admittedly not much further). Can't remember what it cost now, but wasn't much! As a result of this motor, 3 friends bought one (one from a 911!).
Old 27 October 2005, 07:08 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I was at a R/R Day up here and there was a Silver 9000 Aero running 367bhp, the guy said something about it being a Stage 7 conversion, lol, 7 stages?!

Again, didnt look anything special, had optional Saab 17" 5 Spokes and that was it......... until you spotted the Brembo's behind them!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 27 October 2005, 07:24 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Paul

Didn't realise that the seats were that bad in the Gm 900s.

The seats in the Aero are fantastic. Electric memory and heated.
http://www.saab9000.com/gallery/rfyu...s/100_0015.JPG

7mpg...had it been chipped or anything. Im still stunned at that fuel economy.

My Aero is genuinely getting about 38-40 mpg with all motorway driving at a steady 70ish. Admittedly the aero does have quite long gearing.
Standard car apart from silencer removed from the pipe that runs to the intercooler.

Mine had Leather and you sat on the seats rather than in them and you were sliding between the centre console and door card at anything greater than 20 mph There was just no shape to the base
Old 28 October 2005, 03:41 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I thought that Saab seats were meant to be on a par with Volvo seats.... i.e - comfortable and sofa-like?!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 October 2005, 07:45 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I realise what Paul is saying,the seats are not really bolstered in any way,but there very very comfortable,and orthopedically i think there are the best bar none.
The shape is a little "flat" but i dont fall out of them at all,are you wearing your seabelt Paul..
Old 28 October 2005, 10:55 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobyfella
are you wearing your seabelt Paul..
I always wear my seatbelt It's the only thing that holds you in
Old 28 October 2005, 11:30 AM
skinters
Scooby Regular

General thoughts if you end up looking at buying a 9k

Getting the full turbo (capital T) = long gearing (3krpm at 90) easy 30+ mpg. I've averaged 35mpg from my Aero, and it sits at 32mpg all the time in mixed driving (not really booting it of course).
Cruising at 90 gives 28mpg all day.
The LPTs (light pressure turbos) - 2.0t or 2.3t have shorter gearing and can actually give worse economy.
Post '94 have stronger gear boxes and are generally a little better sorted.

Aero = TD04 turbo B234R 1.1Bar boost 225bhp/260ftlbs
Full turbo 2.3 = T25 engine B234L 200bhp - Engine identical, different turbo and software - thats it.
LPT 2.3 = T25 but running base boost only (0.4bar) - 170bhp

The B234 engines are good as they are really tough and have forged pistons thus why you can get 400+bhp on standard internals. (the later B235 engine in the 9-5 etc needs forged pistons past 300+bhp)

Standard Cars:
The standard car is a lux barge tbh. Even the aero doesnt really go round corners well and low models are softer still so dont expect miracles. Set of abbott springs, konis and poly bushes sorts this so well you wonder what Saab was thinking.
Standard brakes are OK ish but easy to cook. Upgrade pads improves things a lot.
Gearchange - generally a bit lumpy but huge improvements with a bit of poly on the mounts.
All cars are between 1400 and 1470kg so nothing silly.

Most will be high mileage these days:
1) Must have evidence of lots of oil changes with synthetic everytime.
2) Cam, balance Chains need done at about 120k - nice to have. £700 inc lab. Many go on to 180k.
3) Head gasket might need done at about 120+k although a head re-torque lengthens life a lot. £450 inc lab.(much cheaper if done at same time as chains). Mine is fine at 130k.
4) Standard clutch good for 300ftlbs and up to 150k miles if not abused £500
5) DI Cassettes (ignition coil pack) need replaced at about 90k £160
6) Avoid TCS if possible - Some models had switchable TCS which is fine. I reckon unresolved TCS faults have written of more 9k's than anything else!

Dont by a bargain cheapy - pay a 'little' more and get a loved one that has had it all done - It will avoid big bills in the long run.
Lots of tuning fun as I have realised and I have learned loads of stuff on this car as it's a lot easier to work on than I thought. (I'll not start on tuning here as I'll be here all day) But if you are on a budget, get one that's already been sorted or get a good standard one and enjoy it for what it is. - Smooth comfy and reliable.
Try www.saabscene.com and www.saabcentral.co.uk for tonnes of really helpful info. on all Saabs.

Quick Reply: Saab Turbos.. 1k-5k bracket. Opinions Please..