Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mercedes Servicing - (CLK230K B Service) - Schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2005, 07:57 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes Servicing - (CLK230K B Service) - Schedule?

Hi

Does anyone know where I can find out what is due to be done at for this service? It will have 65,000 miles and be 3 years old.

I'm looking for a comprehensive list so I can do it myself. The service book is useless!

Cheers
Steven
Old 17 October 2005, 12:31 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midget1500
Hi

Does anyone know where I can find out what is due to be done at for this service? It will have 65,000 miles and be 3 years old.

I'm looking for a comprehensive list so I can do it myself. The service book is useless!

Cheers
Steven
The service book isn't useless, you just have to read it correctly, but for your info- it goes along the lines of:
Oil + filter,
pollen filter,
check air filter (obviously replacing it if it's mingin)
spark plug's possibly (dependant on engine code - it's a 111 engine but may be a 955 or 970 variant etc),
fuel filter is at 60K IIRC (******* expensive if it has 3 pipes and a vacuum hose - £68 + vat),
check battery, brakes, tyres and suspension, but that all goes without saying.
Coolant change at 3years
Brake fluid change at 2 years, but if this hasn't been done, it's wise to do it now.
Any problems, just drop me a line and I'll try and get back to you ASAP.
Craig
Old 17 October 2005, 09:27 AM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

craig

And it's now that i realise that there is a bit at the back of the service booklet - i'll read that now

I've got the WIS/ASRA cd but can't get it to install on my new pc which is a pain.

cant find anything about when belts etc are to be changed though?

many thanks

Cheers
steven

p.s. there seems to be a small oil resevior on top of the S/charger - any maintenance work to do here?

Last edited by midget1500; 17 October 2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 17 October 2005, 07:26 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

craig

And it's now that i realise that there is a bit at the back of the service booklet - i'll read that now

I've got the WIS/ASRA cd but can't get it to install on my new pc which is a pain.

cant find anything about when belts etc are to be changed though?

many thanks

Cheers
steven

p.s. there seems to be a small oil resevior on top of the S/charger - any maintenance work to do here?
The Mercs only have Timing chains, no belts, which take a long time to wear. The auxiliary drive belts only get replaced when they are cracked or worn. Are you sure the small reservior isn't the power steering fluid?
Old 17 October 2005, 09:33 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

hi craig

got all the bits today from GSF, not bad at £110! it was that fuel filter, 28+vat, better than dealer prices!

only found out today that they use chains (never really looked at my engine before). Also amazed to find out they use oil filter elements also! It's like going back 50 years in technology

Ahh, PAS fluid, could be - at an okay level anyhow. Just don't want to miss anything so doing everything really bar the belts as they seem ok. Was good fun getting at that aircon filter under the passenger side of the dash!

Any tips for changing the brake fluid? I bought 5L of DOT4. Only ever done the brake fluid on my MG which is a pain to bleed, never mind on something modern with ABS etc and lots of places to get trapped air! Do you know what the fluid capacity is?

Cheers
Steven
Old 18 October 2005, 12:04 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

hi craig

got all the bits today from GSF, not bad at £110! it was that fuel filter, 28+vat, better than dealer prices!

only found out today that they use chains (never really looked at my engine before). Also amazed to find out they use oil filter elements also! It's like going back 50 years in technology

Ahh, PAS fluid, could be - at an okay level anyhow. Just don't want to miss anything so doing everything really bar the belts as they seem ok. Was good fun getting at that aircon filter under the passenger side of the dash!

Any tips for changing the brake fluid? I bought 5L of DOT4. Only ever done the brake fluid on my MG which is a pain to bleed, never mind on something modern with ABS etc and lots of places to get trapped air! Do you know what the fluid capacity is?

Cheers
Steven
the pollen filter can be changed in under 3 minutes when you get used to them. Brake fluid change is blissfully simple the way I do it :
1: drain as much as possible from the fluid reservior by syphoning it or with a syringe etc,
2: fill with fresh fluid to the max level
3: open each bleed nipple one at a time with a hose on it draining into a collecting bottle and pump the pedal 15 times, refilling the level after each corner
4: refill the fluid after the final bleed by only filling to a level that would not overflow the reservior if you were to fit fresh brake pads (ie lower the level slightly to allow for the extra fluid in the calipers).
I'm guessing that you didn't have the correct tool for turning off the oil filter holder.
Old 18 October 2005, 07:40 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

cheers for the brake fluid tips!

Haven't changed the oil/filter yet, just did the wiper blade and pollen filter. I'm guessing the oil filter holder will be fun?

Trending Topics

Old 19 October 2005, 11:33 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

another quickie

on the service book, does + mean miles overdue or miles left before service reqd?

thanks
steven
Old 20 October 2005, 09:02 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

another quickie

on the service book, does + mean miles overdue or miles left before service reqd?

thanks
steven
You can buy a special tool for removing the oil filter that shouldn't cost too much, and can be used on VW's and BMW's as well. The "+" means miles to service, you put a "-" if it is miles overdue the service. To reset the service light, put the ignition on (full dash lights, engine not running),if the screen comes on to warn about the service a soon as you put the ignition on, you must come out of the screen and go back in to it. Use the page screen on the steering wheel to get to the mileage screen, then use the arrows on the left of the wheel to get the service page, hold down the reset button on the left of the dash till the screen asks you if you want to reset the service, then hold the reset button for a further 3 seconds.
Old 20 October 2005, 11:55 AM
subevo
Scooby Regular

how much does the main dealer charge for this service? as i have the slk with the same engine and have heard £500
Old 20 October 2005, 04:33 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subevo
how much does the main dealer charge for this service? as i have the slk with the same engine and have heard £500
IIRC, Mercedes Glasgow would charge around £440 for a B service, and you don't even want to know how much the plugs, fuel filter, coolant and brake fluid would cost.
Old 20 October 2005, 11:13 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

hi folks

well, i went to GSF and bought all the parts. everything, all fluids, all filters, plugs, the entire works for around £130. i couldn't do anything else as per std service except change the belts.

the service doesnt need to be done for another 1200 miles but i'm just getting the bits ready so i can do it one weekend when i have the time! rebuilding the k series engine for the Midget at the moment, grrr.

ohh, i notice that they have recorded the oil viscosity, i gather a machine just gives a reading but not sure why this is recorded as it seems an oil change was done at each service anyhow?

cheers
steven
Old 30 October 2005, 01:25 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

read a mercedes magazine the other day.and it stated that the oil viscosity is recorded due to if it goes too thin then it can be sucked through the intercooler and then into the engine which causes serious damage.sounds bizarre to me.also i have the slk 230k and the cat is a known weak point and costs a whopping £1500.so most people change the oil more frequently than the 9000miles and usually put a thicker oil in as well.