Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

elise S2

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2005, 08:20 AM
lowlander
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elise S2

My research into possible new cars continues..............

So what about an S2 elise then?

Would be looking at one of the very first cars from 2001 with reasonably mileage.

Still not sure if its practical enough to be used every day but i do know that it has the feeling of driving something special that perhaps an impreza or Evo or any other fast car based on a family saloon / hatchback doesn't have.

All advice or opinions welcome.

Cheers.

Martin.
Old 29 September 2005, 08:51 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I use my S1 Elise for commute and weekends but it would be dreadful as my only car. I am 6 2 and after 2 hours driving I start to think having my legs amputated would be a good idea. Thats even with having had my Elise upgraded with S2 seats.

It is v special compared to Impreza etc. I recently had an Evo 8 test drive for the afternoon and was surprised to find it comparatively boring to drive around in (apart from the acceleration) unlike the Elise which is fun even just pootling around town.

I would suggest you try both S1 and S2. Quite a few owners prefer the S1 set up and you could get a nice late car or 111s for your money and dont rule out the VX.

SELOC forum is an excellent place for info.
Old 29 September 2005, 09:33 AM
Turbo Dave
Scooby Regular

I drive an S2 and it really is a fun car to drive.

When i got rid of the scoob i had reservations about getting a non turbo car but that changed after ten minuites of driving the Elise.

Once you have mastered getting in and out and using the brakes to good effect there is no going back!!

You get a lot of looks in them as well.

I would go for the S2 though
Old 29 September 2005, 10:24 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One of these would give me a constant grin, not like the Impreza which (like the Evo above) just bored me.

Question to the owners - what's the weatherproofing like, given the UK climate? I had a (crap) convertible for 4 yrs as my daily driver, I finally couldn't handle the drips coming onto my knees any longer.

The other thing I asked here, have they sorted out the fragile/expensive clamshell problem with the S2? (ie small front-ender = massive repair bills).

Martin, be aware that your car would be K-series powered, so no factory back up, though still a zillion others lying around to poach spares from...
Old 29 September 2005, 01:14 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Re Turbo Dave's comments - you can even sort the braking issue out fairly cheaply £500ish. I recently put pagids and new discs on my S1 and it has transformed both the braking feel and power.
Old 29 September 2005, 01:49 PM
Turbo Dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilf
Re Turbo Dave's comments - you can even sort the braking issue out fairly cheaply £500ish. I recently put pagids and new discs on my S1 and it has transformed both the braking feel and power.
Thats exactly what i'm going to do when my pads are finished.

I find the brakes at the moment a little scary to say the least.