Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Renault Grand Scenic

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 11:35 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renault Grand Scenic

Well the wife wants a new car and I can get a great deal on the 1.5dci (106) Grand Scenic.

Has anybody tried this version? Not worried about performance more safety and comfort for upto 5-6 kids (not all my own I might add)

Wonder how this compares with the 1.9dci

Mark A
Old 29 September 2005, 01:39 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

I dunno but ive had a "play" in a few of them after picking up some divorced/seperated single housewives from the local 80's bars

the increased glass area compared to other people carriers can be a bit nippy on your back, for that reason alone id look elsewhere
Old 29 September 2005, 03:11 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Picking up my new car tommorrow a Scenic 2 1.6VVT

I know i'll probably get slated for this but I need the space and these have loads, the rear seats are removable so it is vanlike when it needs to be, I was looking for the 1.9D version but these are a bit too pricey for me but the 1.6 goes ok (very gutless in comparison with the Scoob) but it is a MPV! and i'm buying it for what it is, not a sportscar.

Obviously the grand scenic has the extra seats (which makes them great for kids etc) and are a big bigger/heavier but speaking to the stealer all bar the 1.4 engines are adequate and the 1.5D/1.6 go fine (as long as you arent looking to go to Santa Pod)

They have loads of kit (mine has alloys, full glass roof, parking sensors, hands free card, multichanger, centre console thingy, elec folding wingmirrors, funny handbrake, air-con, cooled glovebox, auto headlights, auto wipers, all elec windows, variable PS, ABS, Traction, anti-understeer, tons of airbags and I will prob find lots more) they also are quite nice to drive, importantly you will struggle to find anything safer (5 star ncap rating)

I think it is worth a test drive at least, they are a renault so I expect to be getting to know my dealer quite well under the warranty period, but they are good value

Hope this has helped a bit

Craig
Old 29 September 2005, 06:34 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Thanks brybusa but I think those days are behind me, but now slightly worried about my wife reason for a G Scenic

Mark A
Old 30 September 2005, 09:08 AM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark A
Thanks brybusa but I think those days are behind me, but now slightly worried about my wife reason for a G Scenic

Mark A
Glad to be of help Mark.. I hope I was of more assistance than monty's irrelevant ramblings
Old 03 October 2005, 06:25 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brybusa
Glad to be of help Mark.. I hope I was of more assistance than monty's irrelevant ramblings
Old 03 October 2005, 09:51 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I have tried the 1.5 DCI in the regular Scenic 2 - they are really poor with driver only, so add a LWB and passengers, and it won't move. I would go for the 1.9 DCI if I had to have one. BUT - I dislike Renault and the dealers, so I never would.

But I had a weak moment before I bought our MULTIPLA, and test drove one for the day. I thought it was very gimmicky, which wasn't to my liking. For example the key card crap was very irritating, as was the seat belt bong, which got louder and louder until you put your belt on - this includes reversing, which of course IS legal to reverse without a belt. Then there is the stupid dash and gauges - apart from the MPH it took some studying to work out what was what, which is safe.........then there is the air bag light, which I believe was not meant to be on ?!? but was. You can also expect the ABS light to join in the fun and if you are very lucky the engine management light will come on !

The car was a no go for me anyway, because I have almost 3 kids all under 3, and all in car seats. Fitting 3 cars seats 3 a breast doesn't work - hence the Multipla which is wide, spacious and compact. In addition it is fairly basic. It has all the goodies, alarm, remote locking, all electric windows, multiple[a] airbags - and it all works fine, without bongs, or flashing lights.

In addition if you absolutly had to do it, buy the cheapest possible model going, then at least it won't owe you the world when you sell it.
Old 03 October 2005, 11:19 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I have tried the 1.5 DCI in the regular Scenic 2 - they are really poor with driver only, so add a LWB and passengers, and it won't move. I would go for the 1.9 DCI if I had to have one. BUT - I dislike Renault and the dealers, so I never would.

But I had a weak moment before I bought our MULTIPLA, and test drove one for the day. I thought it was very gimmicky, which wasn't to my liking. For example the key card crap was very irritating, as was the seat belt bong, which got louder and louder until you put your belt on - this includes reversing, which of course IS legal to reverse without a belt. Then there is the stupid dash and gauges - apart from the MPH it took some studying to work out what was what, which is safe.........then there is the air bag light, which I believe was not meant to be on ?!? but was. You can also expect the ABS light to join in the fun and if you are very lucky the engine management light will come on !

The car was a no go for me anyway, because I have almost 3 kids all under 3, and all in car seats. Fitting 3 cars seats 3 a breast doesn't work - hence the Multipla which is wide, spacious and compact. In addition it is fairly basic. It has all the goodies, alarm, remote locking, all electric windows, multiple[a] airbags - and it all works fine, without bongs, or flashing lights.

In addition if you absolutly had to do it, buy the cheapest possible model going, then at least it won't owe you the world when you sell it.
I find the digital dash really good, the speedo is v clear (like my old motorbike) and having the stereo display, trip, etc all in one clear area is spot-on

I dont know about the normal card thing, but on mine I have the hands free option which means when I have the card in my pocket it detects it and unlocks automatically and once inside I can start the car (with it still in pocket), when I get out I press a button on the handle and it locks.
Nothing irritating about that?

Last edited by monty baber; 03 October 2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03 October 2005, 09:22 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

The 1.5dci in Grand Scenic is 105bhp and 240din so its quicker than the 1.6 petrol and the base 1.9 Touran

I know what you mean about Renault build quality, only hope mine was built mid week.

Mark
Old 03 October 2005, 09:44 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, i have a new grand scenic 19.dci.. its brill... really love it... tbh now sure how the 15dci will go i suspect it will be fine, my 19 has plenty enough go, even with 6 in it....
it does 48-50 mpg all the time so i'd expect that from the 1.5
it wll do 85 all day at 2400 rpm and does when i'm in a hurry, i normally do 70 and get 55mpg on a long run.
as for driving and safety then i love drining it, its more comfy than my old 330i, in fact a lot more. It's aslo one of the safest cars you can buy.
I tested a new multipla beofore i baught the scenic, but it was a bit buzzy on the mway (80% of my driving) and i have an extra seat!
also tested a Toyota 7 seat thing, and that was even buzzier and crap tbh!
tested a VW and it was a bit dull and square.
hope that helps

daz

Last edited by Dazza's-STi; 03 October 2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03 October 2005, 11:41 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've ordered the 1.5dci as it will mostly be used on short school runs etc.
Old 04 October 2005, 06:39 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark A
Yeah I've ordered the 1.5dci as it will mostly be used on short school runs etc.
It will be fine, as I said above I bought a 1.6 petrol version and even that is plenty powerfull enough for a people carrier