Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Porsche Boxster buying advice - urgent help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2005, 07:37 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Boxster buying advice - urgent help needed!

Ok any Boxster experts out there??

My Buddy is/was buying a Boxster tommorrow (Wednesday) and he has just recieved the inspection from the RAC back.

It has the following faults or things that need looking at.

1. The front tyes are down to just over 1mm tread and are advised to be changed - how much are these normally?

2. The front disc's are slightly warped and have been advised to be replaced - same again please.

3. an excessive oil leak from the engine - now i've heard this is a common fault with Boxster's and are normally have been fixed under warrenty but he has advised that it needs urgent attention - how much would this cost normally????

Should my buddy walk away? or knock the guy down in price.

Its an 1998 R reg with 50k and its up for 16k

Thanks chaps!
Old 20 September 2005, 07:41 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I know nothing about Boxsters, but I'd make him pay for point 3 to be fixed to your satisfaction before he bought.

Not too hard to go to a dealer and get prices for tyres and brakes. Of course they will be more than an inderpendant, which is great, as it gives you ammunition to knock down the price.

After you get the car you can then use who you want to change the tyres and discs.
Old 20 September 2005, 08:34 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

The oil leak maybe something called RMS (?rear main seal) leak a not uncommon prob with Box and 911s. I think they can cost up to £600 to fix and can recur. Go on to www.pistonheads.com, onto the Porsche forum and do a search for RMS you'll find loads.
If your mate has his heart set on the car he should be knocking down £600 for the RMS issue alone.
Old 20 September 2005, 08:42 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Well the two front tyres are knackered and it is due a service (its done 50k)
but the main thing is this oil leak - which says in the report requires immediate attention
Old 20 September 2005, 09:17 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by The Chief
Well the two front tyres are knackered and it is due a service (its done 50k)
but the main thing is this oil leak - which says in the report requires immediate attention
Personally I'd say it bears the hallmarks of a car that has not recently been looked after.Would you let your tyres get down to 1mm before changing them even if you were selling the car? That would make me believe the cars been run on a tight budget. Likewise the warped discs. Why have they warped?
I'd try for all the parts being replaced as outlined or walk away.
Your post truly demonstrates the pitfalls of buying used cars and how getting the car properly inspected can save you from sleepless nights.
Old 20 September 2005, 09:22 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Well it looks like his 200 or so quid was money well spent, even if he walks away and loses the inspection money
Old 21 September 2005, 11:50 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Dont know much about Boxsters, but would bid the chap £14500 for the car. Tyres are often run down before you trade in, if you are loaded or not. Dangerous I know, but it does happen a lot.

Oil leak an issue, but should not necessarily be a deal breaker if Fulll Porsche history on the car. Put the bid in, if not succesful, walk away. Would personally ring the last servicing dealer to get a feel for their view on the car as well.

Plenty more around, and they are getting seriously good value for money IMHO.
Old 21 September 2005, 11:56 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robert Rosario
Dont know much about Boxsters, but would bid the chap £14500 for the car. Tyres are often run down before you trade in, if you are loaded or not. Dangerous I know, but it does happen a lot.

Oil leak an issue, but should not necessarily be a deal breaker if Fulll Porsche history on the car. Put the bid in, if not succesful, walk away. Would personally ring the last servicing dealer to get a feel for their view on the car as well.

Plenty more around, and they are getting seriously good value for money IMHO.
Well my buddy has gone through it all, it was last serviced at 32k - should have been serviced at 48k but it has done 50k he has rung OPC and they have quoted him 750 quid as the 48k is a big service the tyres are around the 300 quid mark, but the oil leak i have been told off Boxa.net that it may need the clutch changing as well so possibly be looking at another 1000 quid, so all in all it needs 2 grand spending on it just to get it running like a good 'un.

When he got the inspection they valued it at 15300 but it was up for 16k
Old 21 September 2005, 11:57 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL.. advice... Dont buy a boxster

seriously though, such simple questions why not just phone the local dealer whilst stood next to the car, that way you would have got an answer whilst with the seller and he can see exactly what it'll cost to put right giving you a great starting point to knock him down a fair chunk...

otherwise walk away, who sells a car with an oil leak and knackered brakes?
Old 21 September 2005, 11:58 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

£750 for a service, 2 new tyres, brakes sorting and the oil leak. I wouldnt have paid £15k for it
Old 21 September 2005, 12:29 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

The thing is he is going to walk away - he's a little p***ed though as he does not want to keep shelling out 230 quid a time for inspections
Old 21 September 2005, 12:38 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

But buying it defeats the object of having the inspection in the first place does it not? may aswell just buy a car and put up with any problems once they arrive. Surely you have an inspection to get an idea of what sort of condition the car is in mechanically and how well its been looked after. ?
Old 21 September 2005, 12:57 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Well my buddy has gone through it all, it was last serviced at 32k - should have been serviced at 48k but it has done 50k he has rung OPC and they have quoted him 750 quid as the 48k is a big service the tyres are around the 300 quid mark, but the oil leak i have been told off Boxa.net that it may need the clutch changing as well so possibly be looking at another 1000 quid, so all in all it needs 2 grand spending on it just to get it running like a good 'un.

When he got the inspection they valued it at 15300 but it was up for 16k
So it has done 18K without a service!?!

Avoid like the plague!!
Old 21 September 2005, 01:17 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I doubt the guy will knock 2 grand off for repairs and servicing, so my mate is gonna leave it, the sad thing is some poor b*****d will buy this and be left with a load of bills!
Old 21 September 2005, 06:40 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

I I turned up to look at a car and it had basic servicing needs like tyres and an oil leak I'd walk away. Who knows what they havent told you about??