Honda Prelude Mk4

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2005, 03:02 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Prelude Mk4

Hi All

I've injured my right shoulder so can't drive a manual as I wouldn't have proper control while I'm changing gear, I'm guessing the doctors would say an auto is fine (but will check and inform insurance obviously) so I'm thinking of storing my Scoob for a while and getting something auto to tide me over.

My mate was thinking of a Prelude the other week and I rather like them too so am thinking of nicking the idea. I've seen a 1993 2.0 auto within easy reach so am tempted. It'll have to be a 2.0 as insurance group 14 is plenty high enough as compared to my Imprezas group 10 (1.6GL but mods add about 20%).

Is there anything in particular to look for on this age Prelude? Is it basically an Accord in a dress?

It has done 135k miles which doesn't worry me too much as it's a Honda and I won't have it too long - may make it harder to sell on though. Also it needs a new radiator I'm told, are these easy to change (with the use of one arm!). I've done rads on a few cars and realise how much it varies as to how hard they are to change so if it's going to be a pain I'll look for another car. What sort of MPG can I expect and is it any wider than an Impreza because I'll need it to fit in my garage!

Cheers
Old 15 September 2005, 03:44 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Hi All

I've injured my right shoulder so can't drive a manual as I wouldn't have proper control while I'm changing gear, I'm guessing the doctors would say an auto is fine (but will check and inform insurance obviously) so I'm thinking of storing my Scoob for a while and getting something auto to tide me over.

My mate was thinking of a Prelude the other week and I rather like them too so am thinking of nicking the idea. I've seen a 1993 2.0 auto within easy reach so am tempted. It'll have to be a 2.0 as insurance group 14 is plenty high enough as compared to my Imprezas group 10 (1.6GL but mods add about 20%).

Is there anything in particular to look for on this age Prelude? Is it basically an Accord in a dress?

It has done 135k miles which doesn't worry me too much as it's a Honda and I won't have it too long - may make it harder to sell on though. Also it needs a new radiator I'm told, are these easy to change (with the use of one arm!). I've done rads on a few cars and realise how much it varies as to how hard they are to change so if it's going to be a pain I'll look for another car. What sort of MPG can I expect and is it any wider than an Impreza because I'll need it to fit in my garage!

Cheers
My Father had a 96 model 2.3 Prelude (Auto) for 6 years (last of the pretty shape) and had no trouble whatsoever with it .... fantastic car and sooooooo easy to drive (although the 4 wheel steer helped .... 2.0 wont have this)

Coincidence or not, I always said if I ever had to drive a car one-armed, this would be it!

It was no more economical than my Impreza unfortunately and at group 16 insurance, only a wee bit cheaper to insure.

Cant comment on the radiator as it was never a problem for him, but I do remember it being huge!

Be careful with your garage .... ours is very narrow, the Prelude is quite wide BUT the problem is more the height of the car and the size and length of the bloody doors .... we had to hang pads along the part of the garage next to the drivers door cause you had to rest in on them to get out .... if you had a bad back, this would be a problem!

My boss now has the car and loves it!
Old 15 September 2005, 04:22 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5 69
My Father had a 96 model 2.3 Prelude (Auto) for 6 years (last of the pretty shape) and had no trouble whatsoever with it .... fantastic car and sooooooo easy to drive (although the 4 wheel steer helped .... 2.0 wont have this)

Coincidence or not, I always said if I ever had to drive a car one-armed, this would be it!

It was no more economical than my Impreza unfortunately and at group 16 insurance, only a wee bit cheaper to insure.

Cant comment on the radiator as it was never a problem for him, but I do remember it being huge!

Be careful with your garage .... ours is very narrow, the Prelude is quite wide BUT the problem is more the height of the car and the size and length of the bloody doors .... we had to hang pads along the part of the garage next to the drivers door cause you had to rest in on them to get out .... if you had a bad back, this would be a problem!

My boss now has the car and loves it!
2.2 prelude, no such thing as a 2.3
Old 15 September 2005, 04:46 PM
Pedro_79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
2.2 prelude, no such thing as a 2.3
Yes there was.... 2.3i non-VTEC was about 160bhp iirc

Do a search
Old 15 September 2005, 05:59 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pedro_79
Yes there was.... 2.3i non-VTEC was about 160bhp iirc

Do a search
i stand corrected..ive owned a few, never heard of or seen a 2.3 though, prob just in ur stupid country
Old 15 September 2005, 09:14 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
i stand corrected..ive owned a few, never heard of or seen a 2.3 though, prob just in ur stupid country
.... says a man from Ireland!!
Old 15 September 2005, 09:32 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

My mate's trying to get rid of his '97 2.0 auto. Full cream leather, the lot, really easy to drive, comfortable....17 to the gallon on average...you have to see the petrol needle drop to believe it. Apparently they're all the same
Old 15 September 2005, 10:42 PM
Tomos
Scooby Regular

I think you should get yourself something really cheap and disposable mate... dont get a prelude, go think up your own ideas....
Old 16 September 2005, 10:35 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. I was very tempted until the doc told me today I wasn't even allowed to drive an auto! Could have got a bargain too...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ME:B:WNA:UK:12
Old 16 September 2005, 11:18 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Thanks for the replies guys. I was very tempted until the doc told me today I wasn't even allowed to drive an auto! Could have got a bargain too...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ME:B:WNA:UK:12
A lot of car for £410 .... later model alloys as well .... at least it wasnt one of these stupid non-existant 2.3's!!