Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDi Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2005, 08:54 AM
Remster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDi Sport

I know it's a SEARCH favourite but I can't find any real ownership experiences of the above car.

I'm off to view a couple of '02 A4 1.9 TDi Avant sports this afternoon and would appreciate any pointers on things to check for etc.

This will be my 1st oil burner and 1st practicle family car (baby due Nov.) so i'm like a fish out of water. I have been looking at the much respected BMW 330d's but don't want to spend over £12k. At this price, they are all a bit ropey. The Audi seems to be the best option available.
Old 09 September 2005, 09:03 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

I'd try and get one that's been serviced every 10K rather than on the "variable servicing" regime, which can mean 25,000+ between oil changes. Go for a full VAG service history if available.

Apart from that, the drivetrain is fairly bulletproof ... check the clutch ain't slipping as they can occasionally give trouble even when the engine is stock. Boot it hard in 2nd gear. If no slip, it's fine.

The PD130 motor with the 6-speed box should kick you in the back from 1750rpm upward in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, and make sure it revs cleanly in 3rd round to 4K. If it seems to die off after 3K, MAF sensor is knackered (about £80 exchange).

Oh, and if your heart's set on an Audi, fine ... but the Passat Sport estate is a LOT roomier and cheaper ... same engine, gearbox etc.
Old 14 September 2005, 02:11 PM
Remster
Scooby Regular

I've been to see a few of these now and have been very impressed. The Audi build quality is lightyears ahead of most other cars i've owned. Interiors remain fresh looking & rattle free after 60k plus miles. However, most impressive is the 1.9 TDi (130) engine. I had prepared myself for a letdown in the driving dept. but it appears all the reviews are 100% correct. It has bags of torque which is always there regardless of gear and returns unbelieveable mpg. I was seeing 35 whilst moving through town giving it hell in 1st & 2nd gears. On the dual carriageways it was indicating 55mpg

I have narrowed it down to 2 '52 Reg. Avant sports, both 1 owner cars with mileage it the 60k's. They have been serviced on the long life plan i.e 20k intervals which is not ideal but seems to be commonplace. Neither have the 6spd gearbox as I believe this was a later introduction. Just a question of which dealer wants to drop their price the most!

It certainly looks as though owning a practicle, diesel faimily car isn't going to be as boring as I first thought. Mind you, I am still loking forward to next April when I can buy something fun to fill the hole in the garage.