Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

testing a heated front windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 05:54 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default testing a heated front windscreen

Hi-other nite got in my mondeo-and both windows were misted up- so switched both heated screens on-the back soon started clearing on the bars but the front didn't-the switch lites up on the front so that bit is working-checked the fuse thats ok-any other easy way to test it-or do the very thin elements on the front not clear mist very well and are better suited to ice? any idea's-cars a mk2 mondeo btw-anyone know where abouts the wires join onto the front screen so i can test for power there?

mark
Old 15 August 2005, 06:22 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Never had the need to look for the wires but I will say that heated front screens are fooking great !! It should clear the mist very well and in the winter they are a God send.
That is one of the main things I miss from my Mondeo.
Old 15 August 2005, 06:32 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

think mine aint working rite then-had a look round web and apparently connections to screen are under the black plastic panel under window-so will have a look at weekend
Old 15 August 2005, 07:57 PM
Jap Imports
Scooby Regular

Put a Test light on the connections under the mould, or call Ford , they will know if its a common problem with them and tell you how and what to check.
Old 15 August 2005, 10:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
think mine aint working rite then-had a look round web and apparently connections to screen are under the black plastic panel under window-so will have a look at weekend

Yep, that will most likely be your problem there will be a connector on both corners of the screen (one to do the LH side and one to do the RH side, well that's on a mkI mondeo, can't see why a MkII could be any different) - they get covered in gunk and corrode, so a bit of contact cleaner and a rub with an emery board on the connector pins normally gets it working again.
Old 20 August 2005, 07:15 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

took platic thing off today and saw the wires going to windscreen-checked at connection blocks and registers 13 v when switched on so there ok that far-followed wires ones is moulded into bottom of windscreen and seems to be permantly fixed and other wire runs up side of windscreen under a plastic cover, which i didn't pull of for fear of not being able to seal it again.all i did was spray lots of wd40 round bottom of window etc and have to see next misty nite if its any better-if not -i have a hammer and will just use that and have a new screen fitted.

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Yep, that will most likely be your problem there will be a connector on both corners of the screen (one to do the LH side and one to do the RH side, well that's on a mkI mondeo, can't see why a MkII could be any different) - they get covered in gunk and corrode, so a bit of contact cleaner and a rub with an emery board on the connector pins normally gets it working again.
Old 20 August 2005, 11:06 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
Never had the need to look for the wires but I will say that heated front screens are fooking great !! It should clear the mist very well and in the winter they are a God send.
That is one of the main things I miss from my Mondeo.
bloody liability if you ask me!!

i used to do a fair bit of driving up and down country using hired ford,s

on many an occasion i would return with a blinding headache for no apparant reason, until one day it dawned on me it was only when driving fords i suffered... and only specific ones... you guessed it... heated front screens,
because i could see the wires, my vision was focusing on the wires whenever i stopped.. net result bloody headhaches due to eyestrain..

stopped driving fords with heated front screens... no more headaches..

Mart