Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone gone from Scoob to hot hatch??(long post!!)

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2005, 09:55 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone gone from Scoob to hot hatch??(long post!!)

Hi all, I've been working out how much the Scoob costs me to run (HP/insurance) and am toying with the idea of getting something cheaper.

I use my bike most of the (dry) summer, so can't really warrant the silly money that I'm paying out a month (like £450 a month - silly) for a car that spends weeks sat on the drive. Added to the fact that I always take the wife's Fab vRS if we go anywere cos it's a lot cheaper to run, I think I may get rid.

So.....I'm looking for a hot hatch around £11-£13k and have thought about all the usual suspects. I'm having trouble narrowing it down to petrol or diesel. I'm in a funny position as the fuel costs on the car aren't crippling me (but would probably use mine instead of the vRS if the fuel was a bit better than the Scoob).

I'm not really into speeds above 100mph, and not interested in which one is two tenths quicker to 60, but would like a car which feels fast (maybe even faster than it is). I like the fact that in the vRS you can have loads of fun at sensible speeds, as the torque is so mind blowing. I like to think that I am a fast driver, but in reality 90% of my driving is done on the daily commute which is a 40 limit.

At the moment I have 3 options:

Clio Cup - very cheap (seen one brand new UK £11300 OTR) - never driven a 182, but I did test a 172 which reminded me of my old 205 GTI (which I was a complete *** to get rid of ). Only real downsides seem to be French build quailty and 25mpg Urban (which is still better than the Scoob).

Fab vRS - seem to have gone up in price since last October as we only paid £11k brand new UK OTR. Downsides are the handling and the fact that we've already got one (anyone else on here with two Fabs??). Would be very tempted to remap .

Ibiza Cupra TDI - err don't know a lot about them. Quite like the look, never driven one.

Anyone got any other ideas? Won't go older than 6 months as intend to pay off over 5 years...Even considered the Megane DCI 130 cos you can have keyless entry/starting (which really does appeal).

Does anyone regret downgrading? Would I miss the power? The Fabia only feels slower than the Scoob when actually going to overtake something...

Sorry for the long post,

James
Old 30 June 2005, 10:12 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Cupra R? be a good car to migrate too... wont miss the power and wont regret it IMO... if your looking for a "new" hot hatch then it's got to be the car of choice I think. isnt much else ont he market worth looking at but the 182 could well be worth a look, value for money and all that....
Old 30 June 2005, 10:16 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Hi James

Didn't have a scooby, but i had a 300hp Volvo t5. I knew when i was looking sell that buying a replacement would be difficult as i need econamy and cheap fun car to run. As a result i got a Fabia vRS. But it was very close between that and a Civic Type R. The CTR was 2/3 more expensive on insurance and did 1/3 less mpg. On this basis and that fact i could get a new fabia but a second hand CTR i got the Fab. But the civic is faster, more agile, better handling etc. So that would be my choice. If i could get a new Renault Clio Cup for £5000 i wouldn't bother. They are seriously ****. If you like that typical VW feel of the Fabia you can get a new Skoda Octavia vRS for £13000 i think or a LCR for more cash, but it has some pleasent goodies on it. The ibiza IMO is a bit of a munter - and people have complained about the crashy ride.

Hope that helps

Andy
Old 30 June 2005, 10:27 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Cupra R? be a good car to migrate too... wont miss the power and wont regret it IMO... if your looking for a "new" hot hatch then it's got to be the car of choice I think. isnt much else ont he market worth looking at but the 182 could well be worth a look, value for money and all that....
Cupra R is a step up from a hot hatch.

CTR anyone??
Old 30 June 2005, 10:32 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

CTR - not for £13k
Old 30 June 2005, 10:36 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Didnt really like my 172 Clio. Didnt think they were well put together, although I thought it looked nice. Felt like I was rideing around in a go-cart. Fun for a while, but a pain to live with. Had all sorts of oil leaks at 50k too!!! Dont think the 182 would be much different. Not driven a Cupra, but I think they look the buisness, and is built by VAG, so should last well
Old 30 June 2005, 10:41 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

I went from an Sti5 Type R to a Leon Cupra (not R) last year before my son was born. It was difficult moving from 300bhp to 180bhp, but the Leon has turned out to be an excellent car - very under rated in my opion.

Alas, it's time to go back to a scooby now he's a little older, so my Leon's up for sale.
Old 30 June 2005, 10:52 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
CTR - not for £13k
It would be a used 2004 53 plate sort of money. But a used decent car is 100445640059605678 times better than a **** new one !
Old 30 June 2005, 10:54 AM
A'K
Scooby Regular

the Ibiza Cupra TDI has mental touqure its really quick off the line.. but the ride is like a bath sponge

I've got the LCR and the overall cost or running it isn't that hight IMO.. on my daily 100 mile travel to work I get an average MPG 34-36 I had a 40 last week but that was driving like fariy
Old 30 June 2005, 11:02 AM
StevieG
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi all, I've been working out how much the Scoob costs me to run (HP/insurance) and am toying with the idea of getting something cheaper.

I use my bike most of the (dry) summer, so can't really warrant the silly money that I'm paying out a month (like £450 a month - silly) for a car that spends weeks sat on the drive. Added to the fact that I always take the wife's Fab vRS if we go anywere cos it's a lot cheaper to run, I think I may get rid.

So.....I'm looking for a hot hatch around £11-£13k and have thought about all the usual suspects. I'm having trouble narrowing it down to petrol or diesel. I'm in a funny position as the fuel costs on the car aren't crippling me (but would probably use mine instead of the vRS if the fuel was a bit better than the Scoob).

I'm not really into speeds above 100mph, and not interested in which one is two tenths quicker to 60, but would like a car which feels fast (maybe even faster than it is). I like the fact that in the vRS you can have loads of fun at sensible speeds, as the torque is so mind blowing. I like to think that I am a fast driver, but in reality 90% of my driving is done on the daily commute which is a 40 limit.

At the moment I have 3 options:

Clio Cup - very cheap (seen one brand new UK £11300 OTR) - never driven a 182, but I did test a 172 which reminded me of my old 205 GTI (which I was a complete *** to get rid of ). Only real downsides seem to be French build quailty and 25mpg Urban (which is still better than the Scoob).

Fab vRS - seem to have gone up in price since last October as we only paid £11k brand new UK OTR. Downsides are the handling and the fact that we've already got one (anyone else on here with two Fabs??). Would be very tempted to remap .

Ibiza Cupra TDI - err don't know a lot about them. Quite like the look, never driven one.

Anyone got any other ideas? Won't go older than 6 months as intend to pay off over 5 years...Even considered the Megane DCI 130 cos you can have keyless entry/starting (which really does appeal).

Does anyone regret downgrading? Would I miss the power? The Fabia only feels slower than the Scoob when actually going to overtake something...

Sorry for the long post,

James

Went from two previous scoobies to a Leon Cupra R back in 2002. Didn't miss the scoobs at all really. much discussion on Cupra R in previous threads, but just as much fun as a classic scoob IMHO, better interior,brakes, half as much to service & insure, better on fuel & as quick (except in snow when it was total crap). very practical too being a five door hatch. Had two great years till I sold it late last year (didn't lose too much from new either)

Get a good hot hatch & you won't miss the scoob a much as you think.

Steve
Old 30 June 2005, 11:09 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Recently drove a Mitsubishi Colt CZT. 1.5 turbo that is very well put together and fun to drive. I have been told an "Evo esque" 190 bhp version will be out in september that should be a real hoot. The 150 bhp is 13k new and the 190 is rumoured around 15-16.
Old 30 June 2005, 11:38 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Andy M3
It would be a used 2004 53 plate sort of money. But a used decent car is 100445640059605678 times better than a **** new one !
Post hall of fame.

Spot on.
Old 30 June 2005, 11:39 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

CTR - not for £13k
Buying new is stupid.

This would be ideal. £13'500 cash in the hand and it's yours I'd think.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/42895.htm
Old 30 June 2005, 11:51 AM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

If you like the Fabia try an Octavia vRS. Plenty of room, well screwed together and a lot of (useful) toys as standard. Also rapid enough in standard form. I bought mine new in December - 8500 miles so far, has averaged well over 30 mpg over that distance, and has never had a thing go wrong with it.
Old 01 July 2005, 11:05 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

3k on a very nice 205 with 10k left to mod it if necessary
Old 01 July 2005, 11:18 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

I went from a modded 98 wagon, so a lightly modded 99 Civic Vti.
And being honest, the Civic is much more fun than the Scoob ever was.
Old 01 July 2005, 01:10 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

I went from a WRX PPP to a clio cup to a CTR. I miss the fun of the turbo power delivery but the CTR is great fun once you get into V-tec territory (and subject to general opinion I find it easy to drive quickly without having to constantly thrash it!).

The clio was ok but you get what you pay for and I wouldnt have another one, they are cheap for a reason!

Old 03 July 2005, 12:06 PM
super6four
Scooby Regular

2nd Hand CTR, well if you are interested this is the best place to go, most are enthusiasts cars and are well looked after.

This is an absolute bargain, 7k on the clock, not even run in (the engine wont loosen up properly till between 15 and 24k

http://civictype-r.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=68265
Old 03 July 2005, 04:08 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Think I am more after something fun as opposed to fast...
Old 03 July 2005, 04:28 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
Recently drove a Mitsubishi Colt CZT. 1.5 turbo that is very well put together and fun to drive. I have been told an "Evo esque" 190 bhp version will be out in september that should be a real hoot. The 150 bhp is 13k new and the 190 is rumoured around 15-16.
yea wait for the ralliart. that czt looked rubbish imo for 13K. much better alternatives. its as high as a yaris
Old 03 July 2005, 06:18 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the Octavia vRS. I have a Fabia and an Octavia, the Octavia's size and boot is usefull for those shopping trips.

The last few Mk1 Octavia's are now being sold and the vRS list price has been knocked down to £13990 but you should bag a new one for under £13k.

One visit to Jabba and you have near 160mph motor. With the shove of the turbo you shouldn't miss the scoob to much, drive it a bit slower and you should see 40mpg+ on a run.

Cheers
Lee
Old 04 July 2005, 08:56 AM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Another Leon Cupra R defector here , went from 6 years of owning Scoobs to a Revo'd LCR , initially thought I'd made a mistake , but 3 months down the line I'm really begin to take a shine to the car. Alright , in the wet it's not planted like a scoob (but I'm getting used to this) other than that & the lack of burble (which I really miss to be truthful) the Cupra is superb. With the REVO it really is a flyer & humbles loads of things that aren't expecting it from a SEAT ! Looks awesome aswell IMHO ! There is life outside owning a scoob...BUT I will be back with a new STI at some point hopefully , maybe , probably.