Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Help Wanted...1960s VW Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2005, 11:59 AM
chunky_lad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Wanted...1960s VW Beetle

Had a look at one for a friend who's considering buying one at the weekend. Looked pretty solid for it's age. Just worried about fuel consumption though - in the 20 minute run I had in it I'm sure the fuel gauge fell alarmingly. Anyone had any experience of these... is fuel consumption an issue? Any websites / forums out there that deal with vintage Bugs?

Ta....
Old 28 June 2005, 01:10 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Fuel leakage is a problem more than fuel consumption.

The Mrs had one when I first met her and it once had a terrible fuel leak from underneath where the tank had rusted. Worth checking.
Old 28 June 2005, 03:44 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

I've a mate who knows all there is to know. He's passed on this link for a popular VW forum.
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/
Old 28 June 2005, 05:05 PM
chunky_lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuchsrohre
I've a mate who knows all there is to know. He's passed on this link for a popular VW forum.
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/
You're a star!!! Thanks....
Old 28 June 2005, 05:33 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

I had one, 1965 full resto-cal, there are so many problems on these that can happen its untrue, even though fixing them is not that hard or thst expensive. Suggest you give Muppet Paster a PM, he w**ks for Volksbits just down the road from me in Brum, he should be able to help with most issues (his name is Jason BTW)
Old 28 June 2005, 06:06 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chunky_lad
Had a look at one for a friend who's considering buying one at the weekend. Looked pretty solid for it's age. Just worried about fuel consumption though - in the 20 minute run I had in it I'm sure the fuel gauge fell alarmingly. Anyone had any experience of these... is fuel consumption an issue? Any websites / forums out there that deal with vintage Bugs?

Ta....
The fuel consumption isn't brilliant on them, but also the sender isn't the most reliable thing in the world either. If it's still got the original carb on, they were never any good in the first place, and will have been tinkered with to death by now making it about as much use for fuel metering as dwarf with a watering can. The best fix is a Weber carb & Manifold for £100 or so, dead easy to fit yourself.

TBH the most important things to look at on any beetle are the condition of the floorpan, the sills/heater channels (check especially whether you can get hot air at the screen vents) and the parts of the main shell where the wings bolt on. The gear shift should feel like a wand in a bucket of bolts, but the 'box shouldn't make any strange noises. Everything else is fixable, and cheaply.

Try www.eurocarparts.com or www.gsfcarparts.com for OEM & copy parts prices.