Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone details on the forthcoming 3.0 Turbo Focus RS?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2005, 02:24 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone details on the forthcoming 3.0 Turbo Focus RS?

Was at the doctors the other day and saw it in a magazine. Only had enough time to read that it was coming in 2007 with 350Bhp and 4 wheel drive. Uses a 3.0 Turbo in-line 6. Did not even find out what mag it was in.

Anyone heard anymore about this? Sounds very promising to me.
Old 05 June 2005, 02:32 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If they build it, I'll eat my own hair.

Sick to death of Ford taking years & years to introduce a new model. Look at how long it took for the Mark 1 RS to come out. Saying that I really hope they do build it, cos as a Ford man, and ex Focus RS owner, I'll deffo buy one

STilover
Old 05 June 2005, 02:42 PM
TurboMav
BANNED

Wasn't there talk also of a focus Cosworth? nothing ever materialised there either
Old 05 June 2005, 02:59 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

yeah, I think this could be its re-incarnation. Sounds very like the Cosworth they talked about in the past.

Surprised nobody has posted about this. I even did a Google on it, and it came up blank <shrug> It was probably in Autoexpress at some point.
Old 06 June 2005, 12:22 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Ford sold Cosworth just a few months back.

They're not going to then buy a custom engine of the now new owners, when they have the Volvo T5 motor to but in the Focus. So no, there will never be another Ford Cosworth.
Even the Focus Ralley cars don't have Cosworth lumps. The engines are built by M-sport.

Magazines come up with s**t, when they have no other news to write about.
Old 06 June 2005, 12:34 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Heard from someone else that the engine was to come from a Volvo. They have a straight 6 in the range that they are apparantly going to use for this project...or it could all be bull.....
Old 06 June 2005, 12:45 PM
TurboMav
BANNED

Oh well we'll just have to wait and see
Old 06 June 2005, 12:50 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

It was in that fine Magazine 'Autocar'. It said that they were developing a 3 litre V6 with Volvo and that would indeed be the base. Article is here:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=215449
Old 06 June 2005, 12:59 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

That's the one. Good find
Old 06 June 2005, 10:33 PM
screech
Scooby Regular

don't audi own cosworth now?
Old 07 June 2005, 09:25 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Both Ford & Audi owned Cosworth.
Ford owned Cosworth Engines, Hence the tie with F1
Audi own Cosworth Technologies. It's up for sale. Cosworth Technologies tweeked the 2.7 BiTurbo motor out of the S4 to create the 380Bhp RS4.
With Audi's tie up with Lambo, the now don't need Cosworth.
Old 07 June 2005, 09:35 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Gents

Bit of misconception here.

Focus RS is being developed. As is an ST version. Both are still TBD in terms of production but more than likely. Yes, there is a chnace that both will use the 5 pot Volvo engine fettled by Ford engineers, rather than building their own, as the Volvo one is pretty good anyway. However, the key thing is not necessarily who builds the engine but the rights to the name. And AFAIK this is still an option for Ford - thus a Cosworth could potentially be on the cards.

However, from a brand point of view, it is more than likely that the Cosowrth name (while rich in history) will not be used. It all comes down to marketing and Ford is a client of ours (as is Cosworth funnily enough), thus I think you'll see ST and RS as the premium brands.

Also, the plan is to use the blown lump as Ford like the thought of forced induction (again, its brand perception)... the 3-litre is, I think, incorrect. Then engine may be developed but if Ford conitnue in WRC, then there is the halo effect to be considered.

Hope this helps...
Old 07 June 2005, 01:02 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stilover
Audi own Cosworth Technologies. It's up for sale.
No its not, Mahle bought them last year.
Old 07 June 2005, 08:29 PM
davecweed1
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Gents

Bit of misconception here.

Focus RS is being developed. As is an ST version. Both are still TBD in terms of production but more than likely. Yes, there is a chnace that both will use the 5 pot Volvo engine fettled by Ford engineers, rather than building their own, as the Volvo one is pretty good anyway. However, the key thing is not necessarily who builds the engine but the rights to the name. And AFAIK this is still an option for Ford - thus a Cosworth could potentially be on the cards.

However, from a brand point of view, it is more than likely that the Cosowrth name (while rich in history) will not be used. It all comes down to marketing and Ford is a client of ours (as is Cosworth funnily enough), thus I think you'll see ST and RS as the premium brands.

Also, the plan is to use the blown lump as Ford like the thought of forced induction (again, its brand perception)... the 3-litre is, I think, incorrect. Then engine may be developed but if Ford conitnue in WRC, then there is the halo effect to be considered.

Hope this helps...
it may not be that hard to come out with this 4wd rs, cos ford are not having to do any work to come up with it, becos

the focus platform, is volvo's new s40's platform

that platform is 4wd ready, there;s a s40 awd

awd is halex, so all the works done there

the new focus rs, 2wd 220bhp, that is the same engine in the s40 T5

so if they wanted 300bhp, use the s60r engine, which is a fettled version of the s40 t5 engine, bigger turbo etc.

volvo have designed a new 6 pot engine, which is no longer than the t5 unit, fitt no probs into s40/focus

and there's the 350 if they may want it.

volvo has done all the leg work, ford just use all there stuff, so no big deal, ford wont get the new 6pot for a year or 2, until volvo have had the first crack of the whip!

there's talk in that mag review, that the rs will get a option of the 4c chassis thing that volvo's have, again no work for ford, all done for them

its going to be ford's cheapest option, why spend thousands of pounds coming up with new stuff, when all done for them!

dave

Last edited by davecweed1; 07 June 2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12 June 2005, 06:59 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Dave your right, ford will not do much work on the new RS.
"that platform is 4wd ready, there;s a s40 awd, awd is halex, so all the works done there"
And there you have it, Ford will basically make a stiffly suspended and big motored Volvo S40, with less rigidity then the Volvo- as Ford allows Volvo to emphsize safety as their main theme- the S40 outpersorms the Focus in crash tests. The Haldex and ****ty electric steering will pretty much ensure that the RS never becomes anything more than a fast Audi TT. The quicker Ford goes out of business the better it will be for true car enthusiasts, as at least many of their great engineers will migrate to Japanese companies who are more serious about building cars that people actually like to drive- ie Honda, Nissan.
Old 12 June 2005, 08:28 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Previously on ScoobyNet...
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=431721

As CupraMax says, Mahle now own Cosworth Technology whilst the two champ car guys own Cosworth Inc. AFAIK, Cosworth Tech. still build the Vanquish engine for FMC and last September, Cosworth Inc. announced a range of upgrades for FMC's 2.3ltr Duratec engine.

No reason Ford could not do a deal to brand the new Focus as a Cosworth since both elements still seem involved with Ford. I seem to remember a company somewhere in the midlands which isn't owned by Fuji Heavy Industries but has done some work with them in the past?

Last edited by class_A; 12 June 2005 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12 June 2005, 08:30 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeremy
Dave your right, ford will not do much work on the new RS.
"that platform is 4wd ready, there;s a s40 awd, awd is halex, so all the works done there"
And there you have it, Ford will basically make a stiffly suspended and big motored Volvo S40, with less rigidity then the Volvo- as Ford allows Volvo to emphsize safety as their main theme- the S40 outpersorms the Focus in crash tests. The Haldex and ****ty electric steering will pretty much ensure that the RS never becomes anything more than a fast Audi TT. The quicker Ford goes out of business the better it will be for true car enthusiasts, as at least many of their great engineers will migrate to Japanese companies who are more serious about building cars that people actually like to drive- ie Honda, Nissan.
Don't like the Mustang or the Ford GT then? I'll admit, I'm a biased blue oval fan but no need to slate a product you haven't even driven based on something you read one night in a dark corner of the internet
Old 12 June 2005, 03:19 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Jeremy, why do you want Ford to go out of business???

Having owned the Mark 1 Focus RS, and now own a MY05 STi, i have come to this conclusion. Ford build good cars. The difference between Ford and the likes of Subaru, is that Ford think about the car more, and thus include nice little touches. For example, putting the wheel weights on the inside of the wheel. Makes the wheel so much smarter than having it just clagged on the outside. When you have a tire changed your wheel is always marked from where the weights was. Having good quality speakers, the subaru one's are crap. Better quality dashboards, better layed out, etc etc. The Focus RS was such a nicer car to live with for many reasons. The only plus point for the Sti, is that it's quicker and has 4wd. If the RS had 4wd, I would never have bought a STi.
People should give Ford credit, they do make good cars, and there run of the mill stuff is far better than most other manufactures. Not all though.