Skoda Fabia VRS or Seat Ibiza TDI FR

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2005, 10:10 PM
RichardC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skoda Fabia VRS or Seat Ibiza TDI FR

HELP!!!!!!

Does anyone know if there are any major differences between these 2 cars?

Has anyone driven both?

Any help would be appreciated.

RichardC
Old 24 May 2005, 08:33 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

The Ibiza is not the best looking IMO - the switch gear dash materials etc, isn't as good as can be found in the skoda - and the mirror caps are a bit gay.

I went for the fabia, and 2 months / 5000 miles later, i am stull loving it, although the handling is a bit soggy.

The most important thing is the residulas, and the fabia is much better, and retains 60% of purchase price after 3 years compared to the Ibiza which retains 47%. In real terms that means over a 3 year period the Ibiza costs you £6890 and the Skoda comes in at £4800.

I think that says a lot.

Good luck

Last edited by Andy M3; 24 May 2005 at 08:37 AM.
Old 24 May 2005, 10:37 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Wink

Fabia is 5 -dr only, Ibiza 3-dr only. Skoda has a softer suspension set up, and therefore has a much better ride quality. Interior is a subjective thing, I think the Seat is a nicer design, and it has better headroom, but the Fabia does seem to be better screwed together. Residually the Fabia is ahead of everything else in the class.

If I had the choice, I'd choose the Fabia as its the best all rounder of the two.

Happy now.........

Last edited by Reffro; 24 May 2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 24 May 2005, 12:57 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
In real terms that means over a 3 year period the Ibiza costs you £6890 and the Skoda comes in at £4800.
The Fabia is also faster and has lower fuel consumption!
Old 24 May 2005, 02:15 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Reffro
Skoda is 5 -dr only, Fabia 3-dr only.
/Pedant mode Fabia is a Skoda /pedant mode off

engage brain before typing
Old 24 May 2005, 02:21 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

http://www.csu.edu.au/csusa/bathurst...ages/laugh.gif

and

http://www.gighit.com/features/summe.../islandmap.gif
=

http://trailer.typepad.com/photos/un...thumb_down.jpg
Old 24 May 2005, 02:35 PM
WRX Sparky
Scooby Newbie

I drove the petrol Ibiza and did not like it, the diesel is probably better. The dash board was hard plastic and was already rattling. We swapped 03 WRX for new Fabia VRS and don't regret it at all. It seems bigger than Ibiza and better build quality. It will never have the ultimate performance of the scoob but for everyday use I like driving it just as much.
Old 24 May 2005, 09:15 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

We've got an 03WRX and Fab vRS.

The Fabia is brilliant when you are tired (ie after a night shift at work) and is so easy to drive quickly...build quality isn't as good as a lot reckon (corners have to be cut somewhere). It's not as quick as it feels - which is either a good or bad thing

The only bad thing with these cars is the handling - bit too soft.

If the Scoob was stolen, we'd probably buy a 2nd Fab...
Old 24 May 2005, 10:08 PM
RichardC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your help.

Wife wants the Seat as she thinks that the Skoda name is crap, but im heading towards the Skoda just to get on her nerves

Have a test drive booked for tomorrow.

RichardC
Old 25 May 2005, 07:35 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Yeah, bought one for the wife - she doesn't like revving an engine, thinks it'll blow up

It's turned her into a bit of a girl racer
Old 25 May 2005, 08:44 AM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Post Fab Fab!

We bought the Fabia as a 2nd car, can't fault it. Fairly quick & entertaining to drive albeit very easy as said. Holds it's own in the traffic light grand prix (will surprise unwary Golf GTi owners ). Handling not the greatest granted but akin with a scooby it has quite good levels of cornering grip. Averaging 42.5mpg after 2k miles despite mainly short stop-start journeys. On a motorway run it'll do between 55 & 65mpg!
Nicely put together with functional tough plastic inside, no rattles or squeaks on ours. Seat colour is er Interesting when you have kids & dog but they clean ok. Boot is deceptively large & interior space is pretty good.
No real point looking 2nd hand as they are bomb proof at the moment & as more peeps find out that it's the same sort of performance bargain the Impreza was when it first came out then that will remain. Haggle hard at the dealers, quoting things like drivethedeal.com & you can get discounts (If the 1st says 'We don't need to discount to sell them' just go elsewhere until you find one which does!).
Looks - well not everyone's cup of tea oft described as "Chunky" but we think it looks OK.
Skoda badge..........get over it. Why buy a polo or equivalent for £2k more that isn't as good in most areas?
Old 25 May 2005, 09:01 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

We got ours for £11k new in October from tins.co.uk...think you may struggle to find that price now, though...

Ours does 49mpg around town all day with the missus driving (that's real world calculated - not going by the computer). Can get 600 motorway miles to a tank by doing the 'vent' mod.

Very easy/cheap to tune too - a mate has fitted the Euro spec Ibiza intake to his Fab and it's made quite a difference as the car will now rev so much easier.
Old 25 May 2005, 10:56 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichardC
Wife wants the Seat as she thinks that the Skoda name is crap, but im heading towards the Skoda just to get on her nerves
Surprised she still thinks the Skoda name is crap - Skoda is/has been going more upmarket faster than any other car brand out there. Still very understated - but then many people like that. And as a result residual values for Skoda's are excellent.
Old 25 May 2005, 11:01 AM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Petem95
The Fabia is also faster and has lower fuel consumption!
Really?
Old 25 May 2005, 11:11 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Really?
I actually think it is the other way around. The think the Ibiza has less drag, and thus is quicker top end and uses less fuel, but you would never notice - they are all much of a muchness.
Old 25 May 2005, 11:16 AM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Really?

Ibiza is lighter and has less drag.

I had the choice of both and went for the Ibiza, skoda is ugly, five door and has white seats.

The ibiza's interior isn't the best, but i bought the chrome kit from Seat for £30 and it has certainly brightened it up !

Regards
Jonathan
Old 25 May 2005, 12:14 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Test drive them!

I drove the Fabia vRS and it made me feel sick!! Seriously, I don't know whether it was the boaty suspension or the cleaning products they used in the car.

My initial thoughts was the torque and the on-off feeling when you accelerate hard.

I tried the Ibiza 130TDI (albeit the current shape, but not the FR) later that day, so the same engine, but not the sickly feeling! The Ibiza felt more solid on the road compared the boaty Fabia.

More recently a friend has bought a Ibiza TDI130 and his wife has a Leon TDI130 and he noticed that the seat is uncomfortable for him (5' 11" and medium build) but he thinks it may be the firmer suspension.

I guess the only way to see if you prefer the harder or softer suspension, is the try them both out over a varied test route of about 20 miles.

I prefer the Ibiza, my mate should have bought a Fabia!!
Old 25 May 2005, 05:18 PM
WRX Sparky
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE=Jamesemt] Can get 600 motorway miles to a tank by doing the 'vent' mod.

Whats the vent mod?
Old 25 May 2005, 05:30 PM
Vrs150
Scooby Newbie

I have a fabia vrs

I know there is a venting button just inside the filler pipe which you can press with the fuel nozzle. Dont know the technical explanation but after a hissing sound you can fit more fuel in and repeat until you have a fully brimmed tank!

Its a great car, the acceleration is superb. Although the handling is soft by hot hatch standards it is perfect for british scarred roads most of the time.
If you want it stiffer eibach springs do the job all around for £140.
Old 25 May 2005, 06:21 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

I tested the vRS and Ibiza FR TDI back to back and with no doubt in my mind bought the vRS.

The Ibiza looks ugly whereas I like the Fabia look. The Ibiza already had a couple of bit of loose trim on the demo car after only 1000 miles. Residuals are stronger on the Fabia. But biggest of all was I found the vRS much better on Uk country roads. The Ibiza was all over the place and really uncomfortable. Much harsher and my family hated being in the back. The family was another good reason for the Fabia - 5 doors is much better than 3. Possibly on a smooth track the Ibiza may handle a touch better but I am not convinced as there may be a bit more initial lean on the Fabia, it handles very well, and anyway unless you are really pushing it you would notice.

I have had the Fabia for 3 months and love it to bits. The wife keeps nicking it too.
Old 25 May 2005, 08:20 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I've driven both and found the Ibiza too hard. Skoda also felt more solid.

In the end I didn't buy either but was so impressed by the Fabia vRS I bought a Fabia 1.9TDi PD100 as a second car.

Cheers
Lee
Old 26 May 2005, 08:25 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

Some people will always snigger when you tell them you drive a Skoda. That's just the way it is.
Old 27 May 2005, 09:02 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

LMAO @ Rokerlad -
Old 27 May 2005, 09:48 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

People still snigger - amazing really. But to be honest the perception around people I know is no better with Seats. But every single person who has been in the Fabia has been really impressed. It is a bit like when I bought my first Impreza in 1997 - nobody had heard of it and laughed ...until they went in it.
Old 27 May 2005, 09:55 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rokerlad
Some people will always snigger when you tell them you drive a Skoda. That's just the way it is.

That's fine with me - it'll keep the prices down