Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New car circa 5k - MG, Focus, Ibiza?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2005, 11:29 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car circa 5k - MG, Focus, Ibiza?

I'm in a position to buy a new car some time within the next few weeks (all going well), and am after some opinions on things to consider.

I'm looking at something vaguely "Focus" sized - either 1.4 or 1.6 (only 22 so Insurance is a consideration) and with relatively low mileage (below 40k would be ideal). I cover a lot of miles so I need something relatively comfortable and economical to boot. Current favourites are the Seat Ibiza, Ford Focus and MG ZR (half decent one's are being advertised for around £5k at present which seems reasonable to me but will current circumstances influence prices further?)

Is there anything else that should be on my list? Any opinions on the above?

Maximum price is £5k

Many thanks,

Kelvin.
Old 19 April 2005, 11:38 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Not wanting to be too bland with the obvious option, but i would tackle a 1.6 / 1.8 Focus. They are cheap to buy run and insure and are lots of fun on the 'twisties'.

Seat is not one of my favorites, but could be considered, although the range of engines is poor unless you hit the 18T etc.

MG/Rover bit of a gamble, best avoided.

The Polo 1.4 TDI might be a checky option. 60 + MPG, reasonable looks and handling, standard spec is so so on the S and i think SE and Sport are other options. Well built and understated. Comended !

hope that helps

Andy

POLO:

2000 * VOLKSWAGEN POLO 1.4 SE TDI PD 5dr Diesel Hatchback,
Diesel, 22,000 miles, . Blue. PAS, Rear wiper, Service indicator, Drivers airbag, Passenger airbag, ABS. £5,450.

Tel: 0779 6691266*or* 0208 8977093
Email:* Email Advertiser
Distance:* 128 miles
Price:* £5,450

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=167913656

Last edited by Andy M3; 19 April 2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 19 April 2005, 02:33 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for taking the time to reply Andy

Appreciate your comments - I must admit that i'm not overly keen on the Polo range. I'll have a look "in the flesh" to see if my opinion changes (they obviously come highly rated for a reason!) but i'd really like something a little larger that will last a while.

Thanks again...

Kelvin.
Old 19 April 2005, 04:30 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Focus is spot on, had our 1.8 Zetec for nearly 2 years now and no major problems in that time, though I did get a rear puncture on Sunday driving to Cambridge

But that aint car specific, probably just all the crap on the A1.
Old 19 April 2005, 05:28 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I have a 1.6 Focus, it's spot on really, comfy, nippy etc! Have a look on www.ffoc.co.uk/forum

Old 19 April 2005, 05:42 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Simon, I think I passed you on the A1! I was also driving south in a black Focus Sunday and I passed another black 3 door and thought that the plate looked familiar, it crossed my mind that it may have been you but I dismissed the idea as silly as I didn't think you'd be driving south on the A1 on Sunday Would've been about 11am to midday-ish and somewhere near where I got zapped by the scamera van which was tucked up behind the broken speed camera. Grantham? Who knows? I kind of switch off to where I am so that the journey goes quicker.

Anyway, yes, get a Focus, they rock

Last edited by Scoobychick; 19 April 2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 19 April 2005, 10:57 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Sal, was probably me

About 10:45 - 11 am just outside Newark, there was an Mi16 engine block sat on the floor wrapped in a curtain . Luckily a highway agency wagon pulled over to help me as I was perched on a fast slip road. They had big flashy lights, then changed the tyre for me and gave me directions to Kwik Fit. Top blokes

Was a bad weekend for the Focus. I was off to Cambridge to buy a new engine for the 205. Went to the bank on Saturday for the money and managed to smash the wing mirror glass, then got the puncture on Sunday so its cost me an extra £70 for the engine.

Sorry for the hijack, Focus is the top choice though.
Old 20 April 2005, 12:35 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Hehe No problem - I really do appreciate the input of everyone who has posted Thanks.

Is the 3 door 1.6 the favoured choice?!

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the Skoda Fabia? (Good or Bad)...

K.
Old 20 April 2005, 07:14 AM
scooby11
Scooby Regular

I would propose the focus as well (being a current owner of one), it is a good combination of handling, practicality and low running costs. If your'e looking for performance, the 1.6 is needs to be revved hard, whereas the 1.8 is more relaxed and torqey (spelt right?). My advice would be to drive both, and then see what you think. With a few suble mods, they look very good as well. Great following as well, check out www.ffoc.co.uk/forum

Make sure you get one with the heated windscreens they rock in the winter!. 3 doors look a lot better than 5 doors.

Incidentally, my focus will be for sale in a few weeks, though its a 5 door, not a 3 door and has about 54k mileage. Looking for about £4k upwards.
Old 20 April 2005, 11:29 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

The heated windscreen is excellent. Go for the climate pack which we have, I couldn't live without the aircon

Get a 3 door too, much, much nicer looking.

Simon, I must've seen you shortly before your incident then, sounds like the right time and place. I wish I'd slowed down to have a look now, just think how surprised we would've been
Old 20 April 2005, 11:41 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Was a bad weekend for the Focus. I was off to Cambridge to buy a new engine for the 205. Went to the bank on Saturday for the money and managed to smash the wing mirror glass, then got the puncture on Sunday so its cost me an extra £70 for the engine.
Simon, did you ever haggle a too-low price for an Mi16 engine from an old gypsy woman or something? Their curse is even spreading to your other cars!!
Old 20 April 2005, 12:23 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

PMSL
Old 20 April 2005, 01:13 PM
Scooby_009
Scooby Newbie

Hiya Kelvin,
TBH Mate i would reccomend you go for the MG ZR 105, which is an excellent buy for money and Seriously the Focus & Seat come no where near as good as this Motor. It has the looks, the performance and everything you could basically want from a small hatchback. Comes standard with Leather interior, full bodykit, 17" Alloys what more could you want. Ok so MG Rover are seem to be having problems at the moment, this does not mean there selling Crap cars. The 1.4 version has 110 BHP as standard which would tear the pants of a 1.6 Focus! With a bit of tweaking this car could be on the same BHP level as a 1.8. What other 1.4 comes with that much BHP. Also being a 1.4 its very economical. In my opinion the Focus and Seat are way to bland, bit of a grandad's car if you ask me. Come on mate your 22 ZR all the way i say

Not to forget its only insurance group 7, cheap as chips.

Last edited by Scooby_009; 20 April 2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 20 April 2005, 02:02 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Old 20 April 2005, 02:07 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Rover seem to be having problems? Just a few minor wrinkles, aye!

Cheaper than chips, I should think. I think MGs are horrible personally - purely an image problem mind you - but I do think they'll soon be very heavily discounted indeed. At fire sale prices, maybe... but parts and warranty issues arise even so. I think discounts will get bigger and bigger on MGs though.

Out of that list I'd take a Focus.
Old 20 April 2005, 03:35 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_009
Hiya Kelvin,
TBH Mate i would reccomend you go for the MG ZR 105, which is an excellent buy for money and Seriously the Focus & Seat come no where near as good as this Motor. It has the looks, the performance and everything you could basically want from a small hatchback. Comes standard with Leather interior, full bodykit, 17" Alloys what more could you want. Ok so MG Rover are seem to be having problems at the moment, this does not mean there selling Crap cars. The 1.4 version has 110 BHP as standard which would tear the pants of a 1.6 Focus! With a bit of tweaking this car could be on the same BHP level as a 1.8. What other 1.4 comes with that much BHP. Also being a 1.4 its very economical. In my opinion the Focus and Seat are way to bland, bit of a grandad's car if you ask me. Come on mate your 22 ZR all the way i say

Not to forget its only insurance group 7, cheap as chips.
What a load of cobblers you've just typed there.

I've had plenty of Rovers and MG's over my driving career, and I would describe every single one as being not much of a drivers car. Naff quality, crap interiors, boggo handling, they are tosh.

I can outpace those tacky body kitted ZR things easily in the Focus, and as for bland, the Focus was a design icon, and its handling and driveability was loved by all the motoring journo's.

I'm a 205 fan (the best handling hot hach ever made), but the Focus comes close on the twisties in the handling and fun stakes. They are fantastic to drive.

Why buy a 1.4 engined dog, thats been driven backwards through Halfords from a company thats gone bust, when you can buy a Focus and have a much better owner experience?
Old 20 April 2005, 04:16 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Buy my Saxo VTS so I can buy brybusa's 535i

Old 25 April 2005, 12:17 AM
roverman
Scooby Newbie

What a load of cobblers you've just typed there.

I've had plenty of Rovers and MG's over my driving career, and I would describe every single one as being not much of a drivers car. Naff quality, crap interiors, boggo handling, they are tosh.

I can outpace those tacky body kitted ZR things easily in the Focus, and as for bland, the Focus was a design icon, and its handling and driveability was loved by all the motoring journo's.

I'm a 205 fan (the best handling hot hach ever made), but the Focus comes close on the twisties in the handling and fun stakes. They are fantastic to drive.

Why buy a 1.4 engined dog, thats been driven backwards through Halfords from a company thats gone bust, when you can buy a Focus and have a much better owner experience?
listen mate you talk ****e i've got and zr and it will leave a focus standing why don't you grow a ****ing dick and get a life, support your ****ing country.
Old 25 April 2005, 12:41 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

PMSL..... Was waiting for a couple of the inevitable "Diehard Rover Newbie" type people to appear on the forums!!

Driven a few Foci, great cars, 1.6/1.8 no real difference IMO.. IIRC its 10bhp.. 105bhp & 115bhp. Much better than equivalent Vauxhalls/Rovers etc.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 25 April 2005, 07:33 AM
D70
BANNED

Originally Posted by Scooby_009
Hiya Kelvin,
Ok so MG Rover are seem to be having problems at the moment, this does not mean there selling Crap cars.
Yes it does/did mean exactly that. They sold a range of crap old cars and are now thankfully in administration.
Only an idiot would buy an MG Rover product now or in the past. Screw being being patriotic to please a few stupid sounding people from the midlands and some mugs who've wasted their hard earned on a lemon.

Of the choices you outline I'd go for the Focus every time. The 1.8 is significantly better than the 1.6 IMHO as it delivers similar economy. With the older cars one thing to watch for is no ABS, this was an extra on many cars.

If it was my cash I'd go for a 2.0 ZETEC ESP but that might be beyond your price range. Either way theFocus is a great drive and has a spacious and comfortable cabin if a little cheap feeling.
Old 25 April 2005, 08:52 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by roverman
listen mate you talk ****e i've got and zr and it will leave a focus standing why don't you grow a ****ing dick and get a life, support your ****ing country.
A nice well thought out reply there, typical of the average Rover driver IMO :P

Feel free to challenge me in your ZR (if it can make it on to a track without falling to bits), choose my Focus or 205 as your competition

And as said, i've owned loads of Rovers and MG's so i'm not just talking as a bandwagon jumper. Our family used to be devout Rover owners, from the old P series Rovers, SD1, MG Metros/Montegos etc. Although the older cars had character, the newer Rovers just dont have the quality of other marques, including my sisters crap MGTF.

As for support your country, I would if we could make decent cars
Old 25 April 2005, 09:07 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A nice well thought out reply there, typical of the average Rover driver IMO :P

Feel free to challenge me in your ZR (if it can make it on to a track without falling to bits), choose my Focus or 205 as your competition

And as said, i've owned loads of Rovers and MG's so i'm not just talking as a bandwagon jumper. Our family used to be devout Rover owners, from the old P series Rovers, SD1, MG Metros/Montegos etc. Although the older cars had character, the newer Rovers just dont have the quality of other marques, including my sisters crap MGTF.

As for support your country, I would if we could make decent cars
Back on thread. My mate as just been offered £4K for an 04 plate 45, A/C, leather all the toys. Bye Bye Rover. Poor investment, dire customer service and vehicle platforms. MD's get the cream and pension.