Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

50k focused drivers car

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2005, 08:09 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50k focused drivers car

I've just sold my company, and although I won't see the 'proper' money for 2-3 years, it gives me a much nicer income to play with.

Even with the forthcoming 06 2.5 Uk sti, I don't think I want another subaru just yet, I feel the need for something naturally aspirated, and rear wheel drive - more of a sports car.

Usage will be likely weekends only and will include track days, the ring, and b-roads.

Although depreciation makes me wince, there is something special about the new-car experience, and knowing its history etc.

£50k is absolute maximum theoretical budget at this stage. if I can go cheaper, great, but it very much depends on the car.

only compromise is that it must be 'usable'. track days are fantastic, but I need a 'little' bit of luggage space, and to be able to get over speed bumps, etc. hence ruling out pure track specials like Exige.

I also preferably *do not* want to modify!

after the last scoob

current thinking is:

TVR Sagaris
Porsche Cayman S
Noble M12 GTO3R

also poss 2nd hand buys:

M3 CSL
2002+ Z3 M Coupe with latest M3 engine
Ferrari 355 (as a single-parent kid in a council flat I had a target to own one before I was 30, I'm now just turned 29. I have also driven one around Goodwood and it was impeccable)

I am already fairly well read on most of these, but always interested to hear from owners / ex owners / people who have driven / been driven in etc etc.

also anything I have missed off the list???

thanks

Ed

Last edited by Edcase; 18 April 2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 18 April 2005, 08:18 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I think I speak for everyone when I say well done for your good fortune, with no sarcasm, no bitter jealousness or resentment! :LOL:

Porsche Cayman S would be one of my fav's followed by Noble, although I don't think you'll get any practicality from the Noble, so if you're going to have it as your only car.... I'd stick with the porker which is going to be a belter from specs so far... I note you've crossed of the Exige, wise choice, I saw a bright yellow one struggling over a bumpy road in Guildford at weekend, although it did look mentalist, a wee mini le mans look-e-like-e, with big air scoop on roof. What about the new Elise 111S/R they love'd it in Ecoty 04'!

Second hand, I always really liked the M Coupe, and it's the least posey out of all the cars, little bit more stealth than a M3 CSL. However, you've only gotta watch the CSL vid around N. ring to know why to have one - that zort note sends chills.. What about S2000, NSX Type R (not sure how expensive they are these days).

Rarri, well you'll not rest till you own one, but I don't think they're a great car to live with day to day in London!!!

FWD: Nova turbo? Haar. What about a nice Focus RS? OR AWD: Golf R32?

C'mon, you know you'll end up

with a 22B or a Spec C

Last edited by mynickers; 18 April 2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 18 April 2005, 08:20 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

probably get a scooter for round London and keep the passat tdi for long distance etc.
Old 18 April 2005, 08:26 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Always lusted over the M3, CSL even more so

But i'm sure a few people will be along in a minute to say that the golf TDI is quicker
Old 18 April 2005, 08:29 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monty baber
Always lusted over the M3, CSL even more so

But i'm sure a few people will be along in a minute to say that the golf TDI is quicker
Yes, forgot to mention I wanted something a bit 'different', hence csl over m3, cayman over 911 etc.

although perhaps that rules out the rarri, although I'm thinking with my heart there.
Old 18 April 2005, 09:15 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I'd definately check out a Noble
Old 18 April 2005, 09:33 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Porsche 911 GT3 - you'd get a very nice mark 1 for 50k, and many people hold these in higher regard than the mark 2.

A friend of mine owned an F355 and swapped it for a porsche 996. Reckoned the porsche was the better all-round car.

Gary.
Old 18 April 2005, 09:39 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GCollier
Porsche 911 GT3 - you'd get a very nice mark 1 for 50k, and many people hold these in higher regard than the mark 2.

A friend of mine owned an F355 and swapped it for a porsche 996. Reckoned the porsche was the better all-round car.

Gary.
cripes, hadnt even thought about a gt3.
Old 18 April 2005, 09:51 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
probably get a scooter for round London and keep the passat tdi for long distance etc.
A scooter - I can see it now!

Or will it be:

Old 18 April 2005, 10:25 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Ed,

Drove a 3R Noble and its the fastest car I've ever sat in. Looks fantastic, handles very well. Rarity value also. Not practicle at all, does'nt even have a glove box. Also offset pedals are a pain(for me)
At £50k imho there can be only one car to buy...
2000/2001 996 tt. Comes with all mod cons, 420 bhp, 4wd and is tunable. These are advertised at £52k at independant dealers. Personally I cant see these cars being worth £40k in a years time since 993 tt 1996 are still £40k+ . I reckon you could drive this car for a couple of years and as long as the mileage is still low flog it in two years time for £45k. No car could make more sense in terms of financials.
All imho

Deep
Old 18 April 2005, 10:56 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

What about a early DB7, havent driven one but would love to.
mac.
Old 18 April 2005, 11:19 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Why not go Old Skool with a Lotus Carlton?
astraboy.
Old 18 April 2005, 11:26 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Ed,

Drove a 3R Noble and its the fastest car I've ever sat in. Looks fantastic, handles very well. Rarity value also. Not practicle at all, does'nt even have a glove box. Also offset pedals are a pain(for me)
At £50k imho there can be only one car to buy...
2000/2001 996 tt. Comes with all mod cons, 420 bhp, 4wd and is tunable. These are advertised at £52k at independant dealers. Personally I cant see these cars being worth £40k in a years time since 993 tt 1996 are still £40k+ . I reckon you could drive this car for a couple of years and as long as the mileage is still low flog it in two years time for £45k. No car could make more sense in terms of financials.
All imho

Deep
Deep - yeah I love the extremity of the noble, but as much as I convince myself I want a hardcore racer, a part of me worries I will regret it and thinks I should get something vaguely sensible at the same time (eg M3 CSL - 5 seats, a boot etc. but still ferrari-fast round a track).

996tt......hmmmm.......I don't know what it is, but I just can't see me in one. Cayman - yes. GT3 - yes. Anything else -not sure. Don't ask me why as I couldn't likely give you a logical answer.

Struggling to think past the cayman and the csl at the minute. Both should be hugely reliable, exciting, fast and rare (well, the cayman maybe not so but is still more my style than a 911) and neither stupidly out of this world to run.

I bet there is a 2 year waiting list for the cayman already though?

Which leaves the csl.....or the gt3........

DB7 and lotus carlton don't really fit with what I'm after in terms of modern (ish) sports car unfortunately, as much as I love them both.
Old 18 April 2005, 11:33 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW...00515188811793

Jesus - 2700 miles, one owner. £40k private sale, so maybe knock a couple grand off that.
Old 18 April 2005, 11:38 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

but....
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW...00515189223876

Is it really worth 20k more than one of these....

Thats a **** lot of car for 20k esp with the modern m3 engine in it.

See, this is my problem, I set myself a goal and then talk myself down
Old 18 April 2005, 11:41 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

*gulp*

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...00509183815010

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...00516189396186

Another one I hadn't thought of....come on guys, you're slipping!

Good enough for jenson button its good enough for me...not to mention the reliability etc. I remember seeing a review of these a while back and whoever it was said it was one of the best most involving drives he ever had.

Although, it is starting to look a bit 80's esp from the rear...

Last edited by Edcase; 18 April 2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 19 April 2005, 01:14 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

The wise money would be on a Cayman S - it's the best suited to your needs, will be the most reliable, and it will depreciate the least.

Gastro
Old 19 April 2005, 01:40 AM
XT
Scooby Regular

I see more Porkers in London than I see bleedin Micras, not to mention M3s and please don't start telling me that the CSL is a different beast cos from the 316 till the CSL they all look the same apart from the wider wings, bigger wheels and more exhaust pipes. Kingston has a population of 20-30k and I see frequently 7-8 M3s, 3-4 M3s Cabrios, 6-7 boxsters, 5-6 911s and 2 CSLs...........enough said

BTW, I have one in mind

- 0(zero) Miles

-Released in late 2004

- a BULLETPROOF 6 litre V8 + 6-speed manual

- Rear Wheel Drive

- LOADED with extras

Active Handling, improves traction and enhances vehicle stability
Cabin air filtration system
Engine, 6.0L LS2 V8 SFI
Headlamps, xenon, high-intensity discharge, includes automatic exterior lamp control
Ignition, keyless, engaged with push-button start
Keyless Access, with push-button start, includes two remote transmitters which enable automatic door unlock and open by touching door switch
Roof panel, removable, one-piece, body-color
Seat adjuster, power, driver six-way
Tire Pressure Monitor System, air pressure sensors in each tire, pressure display in Driver Information Center
Tires, front P245/40ZR18, extended mobility, Eagle F1
Tires, rear P285/35ZR19, extended mobility, Eagle F1
Traction control, all-speed
Wheels, five-spoke aluminum, 18" x 8.5" front, 19" x 10.0" rear
Cargo convenience net
Luggage shade
Seat adjuster, power, front passenger six-way
Seats, front Sport bucket with perforated leather seating surfaces, includes back angle adjustment, adjustable lumbar and side bolsters
AM/FM stereo with six-disc, in-dash CD changer, MP3 playback and Bose premium seven-speaker system
Head-Up Display, includes dot-matix readouts for street mode, track mode with g-meter, vehicle speed, engine rpm, and readings from key gauges, including coolant temperature and oil pressure
HomeLink transmitter (garage door opener, 3-channel programmable)
Memory Package with memory presets for two drivers including driver seat and telescoping steering wheel with easy-exit feature, and outside rearview mirrors
Mirror, inside rearview, includes auto-dimming feature, compass and dual reading lights
Power telescoping steering column including manual tilt-wheel
Seats, heated, driver and passenger

Magnetic Selective Ride Control, for ultimate driver control and comfort through the use of a driver adjustable ride control system

Sound system with Navigation, , ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player, (U65) Sound system feature, Bose premium 7-speaker system, DVD navigation with GPS, 6.5" LCD color display touch screen, voice recognition, includes Radio Data System, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, automatic volume and TheftLock

- Decent boot

- Two Doors

- Rarer than all the above

- Electronically Adjustable suspension that actually works

- Costs around £40k-£45k brand new (Fully Specced)

The all singing, all dancing....

The CSL can suck my yank-lovin' *****

Last edited by XT; 19 April 2005 at 01:51 AM.
Old 19 April 2005, 01:43 AM
XT
Scooby Regular

Old 19 April 2005, 10:51 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Come on bud, can you see me driving......that!
Old 19 April 2005, 10:54 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XT
I see more Porkers in London than I see bleedin Micras, not to mention M3s and please don't start telling me that the CSL is a different beast cos from the 316 till the CSL they all look the same apart from the wider wings, bigger wheels and more exhaust pipes. Kingston has a population of 20-30k and I see frequently 7-8 M3s, 3-4 M3s Cabrios, 6-7 boxsters, 5-6 911s and 2 CSLs...........enough said

BTW, I have one in mind

- 0(zero) Miles

-Released in late 2004

- a BULLETPROOF 6 litre V8 + 6-speed manual

- Rear Wheel Drive

- LOADED with extras

Active Handling, improves traction and enhances vehicle stability
Cabin air filtration system
Engine, 6.0L LS2 V8 SFI
Headlamps, xenon, high-intensity discharge, includes automatic exterior lamp control
Ignition, keyless, engaged with push-button start
Keyless Access, with push-button start, includes two remote transmitters which enable automatic door unlock and open by touching door switch
Roof panel, removable, one-piece, body-color
Seat adjuster, power, driver six-way
Tire Pressure Monitor System, air pressure sensors in each tire, pressure display in Driver Information Center
Tires, front P245/40ZR18, extended mobility, Eagle F1
Tires, rear P285/35ZR19, extended mobility, Eagle F1
Traction control, all-speed
Wheels, five-spoke aluminum, 18" x 8.5" front, 19" x 10.0" rear
Cargo convenience net
Luggage shade
Seat adjuster, power, front passenger six-way
Seats, front Sport bucket with perforated leather seating surfaces, includes back angle adjustment, adjustable lumbar and side bolsters
AM/FM stereo with six-disc, in-dash CD changer, MP3 playback and Bose premium seven-speaker system
Head-Up Display, includes dot-matix readouts for street mode, track mode with g-meter, vehicle speed, engine rpm, and readings from key gauges, including coolant temperature and oil pressure
HomeLink transmitter (garage door opener, 3-channel programmable)
Memory Package with memory presets for two drivers including driver seat and telescoping steering wheel with easy-exit feature, and outside rearview mirrors
Mirror, inside rearview, includes auto-dimming feature, compass and dual reading lights
Power telescoping steering column including manual tilt-wheel
Seats, heated, driver and passenger

Magnetic Selective Ride Control, for ultimate driver control and comfort through the use of a driver adjustable ride control system

Sound system with Navigation, , ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player, (U65) Sound system feature, Bose premium 7-speaker system, DVD navigation with GPS, 6.5" LCD color display touch screen, voice recognition, includes Radio Data System, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, automatic volume and TheftLock

- Decent boot

- Two Doors

- Rarer than all the above

- Electronically Adjustable suspension that actually works

- Costs around £40k-£45k brand new (Fully Specced)

The all singing, all dancing....

The CSL can suck my yank-lovin' *****
Yes - but you omitted one important - its a pile of american sh*te.
Old 19 April 2005, 11:56 AM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

TVR Tuscan mk2 S. I took one out for a test a few days ago . for the driver involvement Porsche cant come close. Basically the same car as the Sagaris with a different shell. 400Bhp/Tonne go out and try one

If you are worried about reliability. The new warranty is 3 year/60k. They have worked hard on the Mk2's

Last edited by Power Junkie; 19 April 2005 at 12:02 PM. Reason: more info
Old 19 April 2005, 10:17 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I take what you say but would defo drive a 996tt to see what you think

As for the post above about seeing x Porkers and y BMWs it means little. Where I live in Essex there is a Porsche on every street, there are also in my small town 2 Bentley Coupes, 3 Modenas, and 2 Gallardos. I've lost count of the number of SL55 AMGS.
What does that mean that I c'ant own any of these cars? What the hell am I meant to drive then to 'be different'
In even more affluent areas there will be even more expensive cars, what can you do?

Deep
Old 19 April 2005, 10:19 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Power Junkie
TVR Tuscan mk2 S. I took one out for a test a few days ago . for the driver involvement Porsche cant come close. Basically the same car as the Sagaris with a different shell. 400Bhp/Tonne go out and try one

If you are worried about reliability. The new warranty is 3 year/60k. They have worked hard on the Mk2's
I drove a Sagaris, fantastic but the build quality still looks sh1te
Old 19 April 2005, 10:22 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Tuscan Mk2 Is Really good quality. You would be daft not to try it.

Last edited by Power Junkie; 19 April 2005 at 10:46 PM.
Old 19 April 2005, 10:38 PM
FletchCSL
Scooby Regular

I'd highly reccommend the CSL although i am biased - the sound is amazing especially in sport mode and it has the practicality you need as for ferrari pace, only a challenge stradale would better it, nevermind the 355 (although i very nearly took a bath with a 355 so know where you are coming from) Also i think the car is worth the extra 20k over the M coupe (i've had both).

As for the 911, i prefer the 993 RS to the 996 GT3 all IMHO of course.

How about a Lotus Esprit Sport 350?
Old 19 April 2005, 10:39 PM
FletchCSL
Scooby Regular

Skyline GTR?
Old 19 April 2005, 11:02 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

What about a Ferrari 456 GTA, brand new they were around £140k+ can be had now for around £40k-£50k, 4 proper seats with 436bhp and can do 0-60 in 5.2sec and do a top speed of 186mph. think ive only saw one of these actually driven on the roads, less common then a F355 and F360. If I had £50k to spend on a car, I would want something that you dont see everyday.
Old 20 April 2005, 09:44 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Fletch - I think the csl is close to if not top of the list at the moment, but part of me worries that even (or even especially?) a low-miler may have been thrashed round a track and then flogged on.

Where are you based? I'd love to check one out properly, only ever seen one in a race meet paddock before.

GOing to call porsche at the weekend and see about the cayman waiting list.

Not a huge Lotus fan, nor skyline.

456 GTA is a great idea tho, although maybe not 'focused' enough, esp for track use? I should think a csl would cane one around the nurburgring? Mind you I know which one I'd rather driver there and back!

I'm struggling to see past the csl at the moment.
Old 20 April 2005, 09:45 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Power Junkie
The Tuscan Mk2 Is Really good quality. You would be daft not to try it.

I always loved the original Tuscan, however if I was going for a tvr it would be the sagaris, I even have it as my desktop background

Quick Reply: 50k focused drivers car