Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Porche Cayenne - Experiences Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2005, 08:05 PM
Bodgery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cayenne - Experiences Please!!!

Hi All

Due to my kids getting bigger and needing ever more rubbish in the car, I need a bigger one (car that is!) than my current MY03 STIPPP...great as it is....I really fancy a Cayenne, second hand, say £38K ish tops.

Has anyone got one of these? Would you recommend it? I'm looking at the middle of the range model - the 4.5S. Would love to know what you think of it, what other people's impressions are when you pull up in it (positive hopefully). Basically, I'm after more space, decent performance and a good brand image. Would love a 996/7, but just too small for me and the family.

Cheers.

Last edited by Bodgery; 12 April 2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12 April 2005, 09:26 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

We test drove the "S" and loved the looks, build quality but were dissapointed by the performance and the handling. Bought the Forester STi and love it, the only downer sometimes is other peoples attitudes..."you sold the RS4 and bought a Subaru"!!!!!!!.

Mog
Old 12 April 2005, 11:06 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Right here we go then, before i start i know all the die hard Porsche fan's will probably slag me for it, but here we go anyway. I quite often drive a Cayenne S, as for performance, it's not much (if any) slower than a standard wrx, but obviously the handling's not quite the same, although there's no where near as much body roll as you would expect, they make great motorway car's, very comfortable and quiet at speed. Expect to get about 15-20 mpg on average, there's not actually that much space in the boot for such a large car, and now for the negative bit, (you may or may not have seen my previous post about 996's) the interior trim is prone to falling of, and the build quality is nothing like you expect for a car of this price, the door handle's often stick, headlight's alway's full of condensation, rear boot window won't alway's shut properly, there's a buzzer that's forever bleeping to tell you something's wrong with the car somewhere, though to be fair a lot of the problem's are subject to recall's. As for your budget, i think you might struggle to find an "S" for that price, but apparently there is a new facelift model coming out soon, which may effect the price's of the current model.
Old 13 April 2005, 12:36 PM
marky1
Scooby Regular

Father drives a Cayenne Turbo. In summary, phenomenal car, unbelievably quick, great handling. I drive it a lot on the roads in spain and you can cruise at over 100 no problem, you just don't feel it. Go for it, the S is pretty good too, just try to get one with the adjustable suspension (you know that lifts the car etc)
Old 13 April 2005, 01:09 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Ideally get an S with the air suspension - it transforms the car's handling.

TBH - if MPG worries you - forget anything Porsche - buy a diesel and steer clear of a 4x4 altogether !

For £38k I also think you'll have trouble finding an S (and almost certainly not with air suspension).

Build quality isn't perfect for sure - but as long as its in warranty the main problems are recalls or covered anyway. In fact buying a used one may well negate alot of the anguish - the first owner will have had them sorted.

Performance should be strong - 0-62 in 6.8s / VMax 155mph - not far off a Boxtser S !

Gastro

Last edited by Gastro; 13 April 2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 13 April 2005, 01:33 PM
streetbeats
Scooby Regular

why not go for an RS4 ?
Old 13 April 2005, 01:35 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by streetbeats
why not go for an RS4 ?
...or an RS6 - albeit £38k wont get one

But indeed its a logical choice and it avoids you getting another chelsea tractor

Gastro
Old 13 April 2005, 01:36 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

what other people's impressions are when you pull up in it (positive hopefully).
'fraid not. Most people will think '****', 'ugly car' and 'A porsche! you're joking, I thought they made sports cars'. Great cars that they may be but image is up there (or should I say, down there) with bmw 3 series.

What about the VW Toureg? almost the same underneath but looks better, less image problems (you'll still the '****' but probably less of the 'ugly' and certainly no 'thought they made sports cars' etc.) Get the V10 diesel and you're laughing
Old 13 April 2005, 02:31 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

imo fugly tbh
Old 13 April 2005, 03:01 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

ive left a well paying job as it was making me ill
but should my new forays into websites and e shops work out well
i will be going down the road of a toureg or a cayanne
i have a little one on the way and 2 dogs
and my golf is too small for everyone
Old 13 April 2005, 03:10 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

My experience is shock every time I see one. I have never quite got over how ugly it is

Not a very well constructed point, but then I just cant see the point of them at all.
Old 13 April 2005, 03:18 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Seconded for RS4 or other uberwagon. Cayenne only for boat owners and desert racers.
Old 13 April 2005, 03:26 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Dracoro
'fraid not. Most people will think '****', 'ugly car' and 'A porsche! you're joking, I thought they made sports cars'. Great cars that they may be but image is up there (or should I say, down there) with bmw 3 series.
Agree completely, absolutely vulgar looking. Cayenne owners should be thankful to the Fiat Multipla for saving them from the world's ugliest car crown.

A real blot on the Porsche badge IMO, used to be one of the brands I aspire to when I'm older but the whole marque now appears degraded and sold-out. Just need to keep saving and dreaming of the Ferrari then
Old 13 April 2005, 03:45 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

I love the look of them grew on me though, hated them at first....Drove the S and loved it, you can cover ground pretty rapidly as the suspension is pretty easy going and seems to ride the bumps really well...

Saw a lovely dark Grey Turbo in Solihull with fancy alloys and expensive plate, shame the bloke was a nobber and took ages to drop his misses / kids off right infront of argos on the retail park, causing major conjestion to people trying to pass....
Old 13 April 2005, 04:18 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I'd sooner romove my ***** with a rusty breadknife than drive a Cayenne....
astraboy.
Old 13 April 2005, 05:54 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
What about the VW Toureg?
Mycrofts got one
Old 13 April 2005, 07:51 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I've had a close look at one whilst waiting for my 996 to be washed after being serviced some time back, declined the offer of a test drive. There's much less room in both the back and the boot than you might think given the overall size of the vehicle. As such I struggle to see the point of the vehicle.

Some people have suggested an Audi RS car instead - I've got an RS6 Avant, and it's got more room for passengers, more luggage room and far more standard equipment then a Cayenne. It's also better built and faster than even a Cayenne Turbo. If you shop around you could get a late '02 car or early '03 car for your 38k budget.

Gary.
Old 13 April 2005, 08:45 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
I'd sooner romove my ***** with a rusty breadknife than drive a Cayenne....
astraboy.
That figures - but whats the statement got to do with the Cayenne ?

Gastro

Envy is a terrible thing