Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

We found this road in germany...

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2005, 05:56 PM
Tomclio182
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We found this road in germany...

And decided to film a lap.

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_t...PagePosition=1

Met a few guys from here so i thought id post it up.

Its not me driving, its my talented mate.
Old 31 March 2005, 07:17 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

About a 9 min BTG ......not too shabby I guess.
Old 31 March 2005, 07:19 PM
jon_r
Scooby Newbie

Hi, it was me driving. Gutmann I've talked to Dave on Cliosport!

Was happy with that lap, especially as I've only ever done 10 laps.

Was good to see all the Subaru's at the Ring this weekend!
Old 31 March 2005, 07:22 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Hi jon ..... more like 9 mins 10 but still not bad going. Looked pretty on the edge mind? Not sure I would have wanted to be your passenger

I think maybe you were too consious of your time rather than staying safe.....
Old 31 March 2005, 07:28 PM
jon_r
Scooby Newbie

Not really, I'm not bothered about the time, infact watching it back I think there's a fair amount of it to be made up to be honest.

The clio is very predictable, you can always tell when its going to do anything unusual.
Old 31 March 2005, 07:35 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Your right there is a fair amount of time to be made up. Driving that hard after only 10 laps I think your mad if im honest. There were times when you and the passenger were laffing about being close to loosing it, there is a fine line between laffing and crying, especially when not wearing a lid.
Still a good vid and worth a watch though......

Gary

remind me of me a year ago actually
Old 31 March 2005, 07:35 PM
Tomclio182
Scooby Newbie

Wink

hmm

Last edited by Tomclio182; 31 March 2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 31 March 2005, 07:42 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I would be interested where you think you can make time up? Becasue to me you are doing a lot right already!

Dave
Old 31 March 2005, 07:44 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

A few lift points which weren't required.
Old 31 March 2005, 07:49 PM
jon_r
Scooby Newbie

Dave as we've said before there's time to be made up early in the lap, especially after watching your video back a few times. But that will come after more laps i'm sure. There are a few corners where there is plenty of room left, meaning there is more speed that can be carried through.

Gutmann, I'm not sure we came close to loosing it anywhere, the closest we came to that was in a soaking wet lap Saturday evening! but as ever the Clio just understeers..

Looking forward to returning in May in my own car.

Edit, yep agree I lifted a few times where I should have carried the speed through..
Old 31 March 2005, 07:57 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

As the driver only you know how close you were. I think there were a couple of comments about loosing the brakes but i didnt see any letting off? Especially as you were on the hardest part of the track for your brakes? Seemed too busy trying to push as hard as you could.......
Old 31 March 2005, 08:04 PM
jon_r
Scooby Newbie

The brakes had been like that all weekend. If they were working properly I would have braked later.

Of course I pushed as hard as I could, I always push as hard as the car will allow me to.

Last edited by jon_r; 31 March 2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 31 March 2005, 08:10 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Thats what I mean you had no brakes, foot flat to the floor was a comment I think? and then on the next corner you are still going in hot. They aint going to have cooled over a 300 yard straight you know? Two wheels out of carousel was another comment I think.
Old 31 March 2005, 08:16 PM
Tomclio182
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Thats what I mean you had no brakes, foot flat to the floor was a comment I think? and then on the next corner you are still going in hot. They aint going to have cooled over a 300 yard straight you know? Two wheels out of carousel was another comment I think.
Didnt seem to cause a problem, your being very negative mate.

Constructive advice is one thing but dont knock the guy for trying.
Old 31 March 2005, 08:19 PM
jon_r
Scooby Newbie

We were on two wheels out of the Carousel all weekend.

But there you go maybe In general I should slow down! Maybe Ill settle for 5th or 6th in the next Sprint! Ill just be happy in the knowledge I was there competing having a nice day!
Old 31 March 2005, 08:25 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Not in the slightest. I think his driving is superb to have done what he did after only ten laps.
However as the passenger I wouldnt have thanked him after hearing him say he had no brakes so early on....... I have seen more than enough accidents over there. The armco is very close and very hard.

I have no idea if you learned the track from a computer game jon but I think they are damned dangerous things. If that was your route then it would no doubt giving you the lie of the track without you actually having driven it? If no and you learnt the track from fresh after only ten laps then your a better man than me, memory man

Sorry if my comments didnt sound constructive, I didnt mean it that way.

Gary
Old 31 March 2005, 08:32 PM
Tomclio182
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Not in the slightest. I think his driving is superb to have done what he did after only ten laps.
However as the passenger I wouldnt have thanked him after hearing him say he had no brakes so early on....... I have seen more than enough accidents over there. The armco is very close and very hard.

I have no idea if you learned the track from a computer game jon but I think they are damned dangerous things. If that was your route then it would no doubt giving you the lie of the track without you actually having driven it? If no and you learnt the track from fresh after only ten laps then your a better man than me, memory man

Sorry if my comments didnt sound constructive, I didnt mean it that way.

Gary
Didnt mean to bite mate.

Next time we are both in the region i would love a trip out with you, as a fellow 205 owner im interested how they go round the ring.

Mine would never make it at the mo.
Old 31 March 2005, 08:36 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Thats ok Tom no problem.

Out of interest what was the problem with the Clio brakes? I used to own a 172 and never had a fade problem. The only time Dave had that in the cup was when we ran out of pad on track, and yes we slowed down ....... Car is pretty light and fade doesnt normally happen?

205 is ok on the ring other than after Bergwerk where the clio is 10-15mph quicker, pretty much all the way to Carousel. At the end of the day it isnt about lap times. I would probably rather lap in the pug than my scoob.

Gary
Old 31 March 2005, 08:39 PM
jon_r
Scooby Newbie

No problems Gary.

I did a few laps on GT4 before we went so I knew which corner went left/which went right etc, but I knew it wouldn't be any more help than that. I've used computers in this fashion before, especially when I sprinted, it helps to learn all you can about a place, whatever the circuit, before you get there. However as I thought Its wasn't any more use than that, as you probably know, the gradients/cambers etc are totally different!

I'd been to the Ring before and done a few laps, but ill admit I have a nack of learning series of corners, so after the laps I did on Saturday and Sunday I felt I knew the circuit well enough to push as hard as I did. I'm under know illusion that I know every thing there is to know, infact you'll have to give me another 200 odd laps for that I expect! However in 200 laps I expect to be a hell of a lot quicker...

As I've said to Dave, I'd love to have a lap as a passenger with him. I went round twice with Ed last time and it certainly was an awesome experience. Its all about learning, knowing where to push, realising where there is more time to be had in certain sections.

I'm doing Brands next month, now that place is Mickey mouse, but ill still learn the lines before I go!

After watching the video back its obvious i'm to agressive in sections, especially the first half of the lap, but ill get there. Come May and with brakes and 20 more laps ill get under 9 minutes, I know I will.
Old 31 March 2005, 08:44 PM
Tomclio182
Scooby Newbie

Thats ok Tom no problem.

Out of interest what was the problem with the Clio brakes? I used to own a 172 and never had a fade problem. The only time Dave had that in the cup was when we ran out of pad on track, and yes we slowed down ....... Car is pretty light and fade doesnt normally happen?

205 is ok on the ring other than after Bergwerk where the clio is 10-15mph quicker, pretty much all the way to Carousel. At the end of the day it isnt about lap times. I would probably rather lap in the pug than my scoob.

Gary
VERY bad pad choice by me at the last min (i should have stuck with the std setup, but the dealer was closed so i had to fit mintex c-tech pads, which are bloody awful) they just got way too hot and the pedal dropped at that point every time.

Problem is solved now with some very agressive Performance friction pads and the hoses have been uprated to braided items.

Pug sounds like tremendous fun.
Old 31 March 2005, 08:45 PM
jon_r
Scooby Newbie

The Clio had new pads and disks before we went and Tom glazed the pads....

lol.

Last edited by jon_r; 31 March 2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 31 March 2005, 08:49 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Ed is a good driver in a Clio for sure. I have been out the same time as him in the scoob and seen enough of him on track to know that.

I managed to make my laps quicker and much smoother by using a higher gear quite often. I think that could help you two.

But one thing I will say is stop worrying about times, your not sprinting now.

Gary
Old 31 March 2005, 09:39 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Just curious, what sort of max speed do you guys reach at the ring?
Old 31 March 2005, 09:42 PM
jon_r
Scooby Newbie

Not really sure to be honest, 125 ish at a guess. Hit the top of 4th a few times and thats at least 110/115.
Old 01 April 2005, 05:33 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

125 is a good bet, although I reckon you chould be able to see 130 before the crest at SX, and if you don't brake at FS (and you dont need to, but it's easier said than done).

Dave
Old 01 April 2005, 06:46 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

The pug see's 125mph into SX and about 115-120 after P3. Oh and 120 going into Fuchshohre

Gary
Old 01 April 2005, 06:46 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

9 mins after 10 laps, now thats committed...or you need committing?

I think you were very lucky, not seen the vid yet but your cavalier attitude is gonna come and bite ya!

F
PS I've seen 145mph in SZ and Fuchsrohre !
Old 01 April 2005, 07:00 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
PS I've seen 145mph in SZ and Fuchsrohre !
In your car? The speedo must be out

I reckon I get 140 if I do QH and FP in 4th, sometimes I use 5th just to be lazy.

Dave
Old 01 April 2005, 10:04 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, an indicated (very fleeting glimps) of the speedo In an STi8 I touched an indicated 150mph

I didn't think those crossplys on classic Porkers could handle that sort of speed Dave?

F