Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mercedes SL280!

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2004, 04:32 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes SL280!

Thinking of buying a SL280 either a 95-98spec, has anyone got any info on them or drove one, and whats the insurance like compared to my old MY00 Impreza, any information would be appreciated thanks.
Old 09 December 2004, 05:05 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your wife/girlfriend 50 years old with big hair?
Old 09 December 2004, 07:14 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Is your wife/girlfriend 50 years old with big hair?
Im 22 and the car is for me, just sold my scooby as it seemed there are to many w4nkers who own early shape impreza , and I was getting parts ripped from my scoob every couple of months, So iv decided to get a car which the local chavs cant afford and wouldnt steal headlights and spoilers off it to make there own car look better.

Bit gutless, earlier 90's 300sl-24v are good though. 500sl isnt quite as sporty
Have to go for a SL280 for Insurance purposes and all though I know there not that quick, they do look good, The early 90's SL, I cant see myself driving one of those, my dads mates got one and they do seem like a older mans classic car.
Old 09 December 2004, 07:34 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Going to look at one the weekend which is a R-reg with 26000miles and one owner, and by the looks of the picture it has clear lights etc, looks tidy.
but there are a lot of shady/wanna be bad boy
Ill have to get some bling bling gold to go with my new bad boy image! lol
Old 09 December 2004, 09:46 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Going to look at one the weekend which is a R-reg with 26000miles and one owner, and by the looks of the picture it has clear lights etc, looks tidy.

Ill have to get some bling bling gold to go with my new bad boy image! lol
The SL's had a rolling programme of upgrades. In 95/96ish indicators went half orange, then full clear a year or so later. In 97ish a third brake light was added and ESP became an option over and above the standard ASR. The last facelift was May/June 98 onwards when the engines, wheels and wing mirrors changed. ESP became standard then. Watch the fact that a lot of pre-facelift cars were registered late in 98 and in 99 due to the problems in selling expensive cars then. I've owned a 97 and a post facelift 98 and the difference is worth having.

Nice cars, not much shake, good hardtop for the winter (noise supression varies from model to model though) and a nice relaxing drive but they roll a lot and the 280 is very slow, as is the 320. The 500 has about the same performance as a WRX PPP and is worth paying the extra for. Coming from a WRX, the other two will feel very slow.
Old 09 December 2004, 11:09 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

What Insurance group is the SL280.
Old 10 December 2004, 09:44 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AR
The SL's had a rolling programme of upgrades. In 95/96ish indicators went half orange, then full clear a year or so later. In 97ish a third brake light was added and ESP became an option over and above the standard ASR. The last facelift was May/June 98 onwards when the engines, wheels and wing mirrors changed. ESP became standard then. Watch the fact that a lot of pre-facelift cars were registered late in 98 and in 99 due to the problems in selling expensive cars then. I've owned a 97 and a post facelift 98 and the difference is worth having.

Nice cars, not much shake, good hardtop for the winter (noise supression varies from model to model though) and a nice relaxing drive but they roll a lot and the 280 is very slow, as is the 320. The 500 has about the same performance as a WRX PPP and is worth paying the extra for. Coming from a WRX, the other two will feel very slow.
This info is very good, but if you really want something that's nice without worrying about power, pick a circa 1997 SL280 with the straight six engine (not the woeful V6), with the electronic gearbox instead of the old 4 speed autobox that didn't use electronics, and make sure it has a hardtop with the optional full panoramic roof. It still isn't the quickest of cars, but it makes a glorious noise and full power upshifts are silky smooth. If you are looking for any advice, please feel free to PM me, I'm a master tech @ a MB garage.
Craig