Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Peugeot 206cc

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2004, 08:33 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Peugeot 206cc

Thinking of buying 1 of these for the wife,anybody had one,owns one? Are they any good and are they worth the money?? Cheers.
Old 04 November 2004, 08:49 PM
craigdeluxe
Scooby Newbie

Might be better off going for a mazda mx5. Only down side would be no rear seat and if she isnt too confident, the rear wheel drive
Old 04 November 2004, 08:53 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigdeluxe
Might be better off going for a mazda mx5. Only down side would be no rear seat and if she isnt too confident, the rear wheel drive
Just something about mx5 i dont like,they dont look safe and look boring! Just my opinion...........
Old 04 November 2004, 09:02 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattsan
Thinking of buying 1 of these for the wife,anybody had one,owns one? Are they any good and are they worth the money?? Cheers.
We (finally) got rid of my girlfriend's 52 reg Peugeot 206cc in September this year and thank god. Built like a sponge.. no wait a sponge is a bit on the sturdy side - built like a jelly
Old 04 November 2004, 09:04 PM
craigdeluxe
Scooby Newbie

I thought the same until my mate was forced to buy one after a bad racing accident on his bike at Knockhill. He fitted a turbo to it a month later which really improves the car but as standard its a great little driver. Add a good roll bar which is designed to look like a style bar if you need extra protection. I know a guy that flipped his 5 twice, landing on its roof/style bar and he only had whiplash
Old 04 November 2004, 09:49 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
We (finally) got rid of my girlfriend's 52 reg Peugeot 206cc in September this year and thank god. Built like a sponge.. no wait a sponge is a bit on the sturdy side - built like a jelly
What was so bad about it? Bits falling off or just crap build quality?? You wouldnt advice buying one then or was yours just a bad un?? Cheers.
Old 04 November 2004, 09:53 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Ive got a 04 plate with 2000 miles on the clock. Its been 100% no water leaks or anything like that. Great value for mney £15k car with a £50k roof !

It is up for sale as ive ordered a new car (golf GTI )

http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/module...ewtopic&t=8398

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/d...?i=30573&s=269
Old 04 November 2004, 09:56 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattsan
What was so bad about it? Bits falling off or just crap build quality?? You wouldnt advice buying one then or was yours just a bad un?? Cheers.
It was very... french! Just felt very very flimsy, horrible plastic interior, within 3 months of owning it from new the handbrake cable just let go whilst parked on a hill and peugeot refused to accept any responsibility for it, the passenger seat frequently "fell off" it's runners, the drivers door didnt shut properly despite repeated trips to the dealerships..

and ours was a good one apparently. Friends and members of the owners club all have very similar problems plus the common leaky roof.

Oh and the peugeot dealers were absolutely awful too. Neither of us would buy another peugeot again... well except perhaps a 205 GTI

David
Old 05 November 2004, 03:27 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

I had an 03 plate 2 litre 206CC for a year and I was very happy to see the back of it. Has to be the most flimsy and poorly built brand new car I have ever been in. OK the roof is very trick but unfortunately you do look a d!ck when you are driving it. I particulary loved the day I was driving down the motorway and all the stop lights flashed on the dash. turned the engine off, restarted and everything was fine. Mentioned this at the first service and the service manager just shrugged his shoulders.

So why did I buy mine ? I have wanted a convertible for a long time and I was only willing to have a folding hard top. After 11,000 miles it felt more like a car that had covered 111,000 miles.

Mine had a massive list of niggly problems, here are a few of the ones I remember :

1) Rattly Exhaust manifold : Common Problem
2) Radio lost preset stations : Common Problem
3) Squeeky brakes : Common Problem
4) Roof failing to beep intermittently : Common Problem
5) Whine in second gear when lifting off the throttle
6) Poor paint finish in places
7) General rattles and squeeks : Common problem

There were several more but I have forgotten them now.

Final nail in the coffin is that on the day the new owner was supposed to pick it up I decided to move it onto the drive. It had stood stationary for a week and the bloody thing wouldn't start, it took me 4 attempts to bump start it down the road. Thankfully it started for the new owner but when he put the roof down it didn't beep at the end. He asked if it was supposed to beep when it had finished so I just said I didn't think so.

I was nervous for the next week every time the phone rang or I checked my email!
Old 05 November 2004, 04:13 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

My sister just bought a new one and first impressions are it's a tidy little motor, but I've only been in it for about a mile and a half. I played with the roof though and was quite impressed with that
Old 05 November 2004, 04:14 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Get a Vauxhall Tigra, much better car, and lots more rooms in the cabin and the boot.
Old 05 November 2004, 04:19 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Mates wife has a 206cc and says the build quality is appalling and has been a depreciation disaster so far.
Old 05 November 2004, 06:27 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Get a Vauxhall Tigra, much better car, and lots more rooms in the cabin and the boot.

But a Tigra has only got 2 seats ??
The Pug has 4 (ish)
Old 05 November 2004, 08:04 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Cheers people,you really have put me off buying one for the other half.Nice to know your thoughts on this its really helped.Be looking for something else now to replace her for KA lux.Any other ideas?She wants something with the same spec as the KA, leather,a/c etc......She has her heart set on a convertible,but it doesnt have to be,just something small and compact but she does drive about 12k a year. Im not keen on the tigra never liked grim griffins!

Last edited by mattsan; 05 November 2004 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06 November 2004, 02:23 AM
H7
Scooby Regular

My wife had a 2.0 206cc for three years and loved it. Traded it for an SLK 230 Kompressor. You could pick up one of these for the same price as a new 206cc and have a much better experience. Great car, great presence, great residuals.
Old 06 November 2004, 10:05 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Got one for the wife about 6 months ago, 2001 model.

Car has been no problem, and even the Peugeot dealer in Basingstoke was good. Reasons for choosing it against other fun convertibles was really the price - £10K for a 1 owner, low mileage , FSH car with proper Peugeot warranty for 1 year, that can be extended for £350 per annum. Also had the leather option with it.

2 seats + 2 small bucket seat, ideal for shopping or adults for a few miles. Also has a hard roof but when left out that doesn't leak for us. They can get water in if the hood is not aligned or the catches are worn, alternatively water does roll off the roof when its rained as there are no gutters on it. If you sit in the car toooo quickly it will drip onto you

Servicing cheap, and suppose to be every 20K miles..... We just get a service once a year.... old habits I guess as she does 10K miles.

Cheers

J
Old 06 November 2004, 10:32 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

As an addendum to my earlier post; I spoke to my sister on the phone last night and the 206 goes back to Peugeot today because apparently the rain pissed in through the roof during the week. To say she's upset about it having to go back after 1 week is an understatement.

Make sure you test drive it in the rain!
Old 08 November 2004, 05:52 AM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

My mum bought one brand new in March 2002. She likes her, especially when the weather is hot and the roof is down. No Problems as of yet except for 1 when she first bought it which was a roof sensor breaking and causing the car to think the roof was down all the time. (Touching wood).

But I wouldnt buy a Peugoet to be honest. Got a 306 GTi-6 and, although I love it, I doubt I will buy another peugeot. Main dealers are rubbish and too many little faults keep happening.
Old 08 November 2004, 11:10 AM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

What about the new Ford Ka roadster? Looks like a mini TT and supposed to be a good drive.

LC