Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

mr2 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2004, 09:02 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mr2 turbo

Just wondered if anybody on here has ever driven one, and how they stack up against a scoob??
Old 03 October 2004, 09:23 PM
Jamie_B
Scooby Regular

I used to have a Rev2 Mr2Turbo, it used to feel really quick but the rear end used to be tail happy especially in the wet.

It made 240bhp on the rollers with a small boost increase but I think the later rev 3 ones cames as 240bhp in standard trim and could be tweaked higher to around 270 with minor mods.

I'm not sure about straight line speed against a Scooby but a Scooby would waste one around corners and in the wet.

Old 03 October 2004, 09:27 PM
neillewiselliot
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

No contest. The Toyota shouldn't have been given a turbo, as it didn't know what to do with it.
Old 03 October 2004, 09:36 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neillewiselliot
No contest. The Toyota shouldn't have been given a turbo, as it didn't know what to do with it.
that doesnt really tell me what they are like drive. Been in a uk model with 180 bhp. Felt well balanced and could seriously move through the back roads. Thats coming from someone who drives an sti 4
Old 03 October 2004, 09:41 PM
neillewiselliot
Scooby Regular

Smile

The MR2 does not rally. Nuff said I think. Also been on track with one or two plus sprints and am still to see one that can perform. Stick with your Scoob.

N
Old 03 October 2004, 09:47 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

The MR2 does not rally. Nuff said I think. Also been on track with one or two plus sprints and am still to see one that can perform. Stick with your Scoob.

N
Just getting a bit fed up paying ridiculous insurance premiums, boy racers on my tail, high running costs + fuel bills. Got an sti 4. Could get a decent rev 3 or 4 dor around 6k. Running costs and insurance reduced big time + still have a fun car and money to run it.
oh, and money to live on!
Old 03 October 2004, 09:52 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Just getting a bit fed up paying ridiculous insurance premiums, boy racers on my tail, high running costs + fuel bills. Got an sti 4. Could get a decent rev 3 or 4 dor around 6k. Running costs and insurance reduced big time + still have a fun car and money to run it.
oh, and money to live on!
Get a wagon. I can honestly say that I've never been bothered by chavs in mine.
Old 03 October 2004, 09:53 PM
neillewiselliot
Scooby Regular

Wink

Know what you mean, but you have one of the best value cars on the planet so stick with it. It'll keep you young>

N
Old 03 October 2004, 09:58 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Know what you mean, but you have one of the best value cars on the planet so stick with it. It'll keep you young>

N
im 21! I have driven many cars in my short driving time, and can say that although the sti is fabulously quick, it just doesnt feel right. I want a car that I can balance on the throttle, and in the scoob you cant really do that. Spose its my fault for driving formula fords for a year!
Old 03 October 2004, 10:05 PM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

Hi, I used to own a UK MR2 and drove a few turbos also.

Good points.......Great Driving position, Fairly quick(Turbo I drove felt faster than my scoob), Great handling in the dry, 2 seater roof down pose factor I guess, although I could count the no of times I actually removed the T bar roof on 1 hand.

Bad Points.........Only 2 seats(Fine if you know thats all you will ever need) this caused a problem for me so much and 1 the reasons I sold mine...other was cos I had to have a scooby !, Very tail happy in the wet, ice is madness and if it snows your walking to work!, Tbar roofs leak when it rains and condensation was a nightmare - A/C is a must id say!!! Inside of windscreen froze last winter....and my roof wasnt as bad as some.....get a coupe over Tbar is my advice!!!

Heres my old 1
http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...97&rr=17:57:42
http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...97&rr=21:19:55
Old 03 October 2004, 10:07 PM
neillewiselliot
Scooby Regular

Well you'll stay feeling 21 for longer then! Wouldn't suggest taking a FF on the road. You'll really have the boy racers on your back then!!

You know it makes sense.

N
Old 03 October 2004, 10:13 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Well you'll stay feeling 21 for longer then! Wouldn't suggest taking a FF on the road. You'll really have the boy racers on your back then!!

You know it makes sense.

N
FF?
Old 03 October 2004, 10:16 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

FF?
oh formula ford. sorry m8, im falling asleep. I know i will probably miss it, but its just getting difficult to justify the cost now. I have a mk 3 astra diesel estate as my run around. I pay £2400 for my insurance with 3 yrs no claims. mr2 turbo = 1100 fully comp!

Last edited by Gear Head; 03 October 2004 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03 October 2004, 10:29 PM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

If u want one get one - u won't regret it, I really regretted selling my rev 3 turbo for a PPPd uk scoob but needed the extra seats.
The scoob may be slightly faster in the wet, twisties whatever - the MR2 handled a lot better, was more fun & was built better.
It was sidewaystastic on trackdays, (roundabouts, country lanes etc etc) wet or dry & always totally controllable.
Round quite a few tracks - pretty evenly matched with a uk scoob - bit slower than an sti - but deffo more fun if u like rear wheel drive type fun - & the steering is just great.
Loads cheaper to run as well - used to get 24-25 mpg struggle to get 20 in scoob.
MR2DC for cheap insurance.
It's no Formula Ford tho - it's still quite a heavy car - same a scoob I think.
HTH
Mark
Old 03 October 2004, 10:33 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MarkT
If u want one get one - u won't regret it, I really regretted selling my rev 3 turbo for a PPPd uk scoob but needed the extra seats.
The scoob may be slightly faster in the wet, twisties whatever - the MR2 handled a lot better, was more fun & was built better.
It was sidewaystastic on trackdays, (roundabouts, country lanes etc etc) wet or dry & always totally controllable.
Round quite a few tracks - pretty evenly matched with a uk scoob - bit slower than an sti - but deffo more fun if u like rear wheel drive type fun - & the steering is just great.
Loads cheaper to run as well - used to get 24-25 mpg struggle to get 20 in scoob.
MR2DC for cheap insurance.
It's no Formula Ford tho - it's still quite a heavy car - same a scoob I think.
HTH
Mark
Thanks for the advice m8, anything to look out for when looking,other than the usually things.
Again, dont get me wrong, I love the scoob. Just feels like an average handling car with loads of grip! Too much sometimes!
Old 03 October 2004, 11:20 PM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Get a wagon. I can honestly say that I've never been bothered by chavs in mine.
Got a Wagon. Got Chavs. I don't get it
Old 03 October 2004, 11:59 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

In a dryer country get the MR2, but not here
Old 04 October 2004, 09:07 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Roojai
In a dryer country get the MR2, but not here
Doh, guess i'll have to move! I never take the scoob out when its wet anyway, well I try not to. I have an old 96 mk3 astra diesel estate to do the donkey work
Old 04 October 2004, 01:09 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

I was up against a couple at our local 1/4 mile sprint with my STi3 - beat them both pretty convincingly. Third sprint was a bit closer as I was carrying 4 passengers - including the MR2 owners missus who'd been sent over to slow us down
Old 04 October 2004, 01:47 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
I was up against a couple at our local 1/4 mile sprint with my STi3 - beat them both pretty convincingly. Third sprint was a bit closer as I was carrying 4 passengers - including the MR2 owners missus who'd been sent over to slow us down
Look, its pretty obvious that an mr2 turbo is not going to be as quick the sti 4 that I have now. I just want something rwd that I can take for a blast, have some fun, and not go bankrupt by doing so. And that looks half decent. ie no sierra cossies please!
Old 04 October 2004, 04:11 PM
Baggers
Scooby Regular

My brother has been running a 95 MR2 turbo for quite a few years now, the build quality and running costs including insurance are very good, no problems so far, just a £300 clutch change at 70k. 240bhp out the box, very entertaining. But as mentioned, dangerous in the wet, he's been very lucky not to have come a cropper on a few occassions. Well worth considering for a value and performance.
Old 07 October 2004, 12:47 PM
NickPotts
Scooby Newbie

Hi ChrisPurvis100
I have a 1990 Japenese Imported MR2 for sale - TBar 2.0GT (not turbo). Its great fun to drive and is cheaper to insure than the turbo without the problems associated with it. Let me know if you fancy buying one cos you can have mine for £1500, to help me fund my Scooby!
Worth a try!

Nick
Old 07 October 2004, 03:28 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?

Have had both a Type R Impreza and MR2 Turbo, and recently we bought the girlfriend another MR2 Turbo.

Never really had a problem with the T Bars, if you get the rubbers rejuvinated with stuff from Halfrauds and get some uprated rails (cant remember proper name) roof will be fine.

Had my MR2 for 2 years and never had one thing go wrong with it. Had a cambelt change and thats all it cost me (apart from servicing!)

Had loads of fun in it. Probably more than the Type R, because you really could keep the back end out for as long as you :-

a) Wanted to
B) dared to

In the wet if you pushed it you could find yourself in trouble, but all you do is take a bit more care!!!

You can pick MR2's up for good money, and if it hasn't already got some, put some nice 17's on it (Which these days go for peanuts) and it transforms the look of the car!!

Dont get me wrong, I loved my Impreza Type R, but the Toyota was also a grear car, and believe it or not, they are very quick, especially with the boost upped to around 15psi!

Cheers

J4CK50N
Old 09 October 2004, 01:01 PM
screechmr2
Scooby Regular

N
so the mr2 doesn't rally so it's crap?, neither does a ferrari so that's crap as well, so are those useless lambos. as standard the mr2 turbo is very fast, with a simple chip and exhaust on a rev 3 onwards you can get over 300bhp, now once moving in a straightline the scoob will be easily beaten, corners in the dry won't give much of a difference. you seem to think that just because the scooby is idiot proof and flatters drivers it's fantastic, the mr2 teaches you how to drive properly and takes a lot more skill, it's more rewarding to drive fast than a scoob.

i got quoted under 700 at 23 for a rev 3 turbo. running costs are minimal, it's been through 2 mots without a single cost, only needed a new afm (£50), 4 new tyres and 2 new speedo cable connections in 2 1/2 years, besides the usual oil changes etc.
Old 09 October 2004, 01:30 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

I had a MR2 T-Bar Turbo running a fair few mods Was very interesting to drive especially in the wet had to turn boost down as traction (lack of) was a severe problem. In the dry it was very entertaining and was no slouch with 320hp and 323lb/ft In the time I owned it the only major replacement was the clutch other than that no major issues. Only reason I sold it was lack of boot space and it only being a 2 seater - wished I had kept it now

Cheers
Old 09 October 2004, 01:38 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Depends if you want a car that's a challenge and will test and possibly improve your driving.

If you don't want that stick with the scoob that flatters even the poorest of driver.

The MR2T is not an easy car to drive fast - in the wet it can be plain dangerous. I've had 3 and loved them all, but wouldn't recommend one to an inexperienced driver!

As for speed, etc my rev3 which was tweaked to 280bhp ish and was significantly quicker once traction wasn't an issue (30+) than my mate's P1.

They just seemed to like aiming themselves at trees LOL.
Old 10 October 2004, 01:06 AM
philz
Scooby Regular

Look, its pretty obvious that an mr2 turbo is not going to be as quick the sti 4 that I have now. I just want something rwd that I can take for a blast, have some fun, and not go bankrupt by doing so. And that looks half decent. ie no sierra cossies please!
I dunno how quick your STI is but the MR2 is no slouch, have a look at the following vid of a bog standard one.

http://www.philz.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...MR2_vs_RX7.wmv

And here's one with a few minor mods

http://www.philz.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...300BHP_MR2.wmv

And finally, a pic of mine

http://www.philz.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...re_japfest.jpg
Old 10 October 2004, 02:43 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

PhilZ.... Your car is absolutely stunning mate!!

Whats the spec??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 10 October 2004, 09:16 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well its pretty conclusive that MR2s can be a bit dodgy in the wet, considered a Nissan 200sx?
Old 10 October 2004, 05:29 PM
philz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
PhilZ.... Your car is absolutely stunning mate!!

Whats the spec??

Cheers,
Grant
Engine spec is pretty standard, just stuff like Apex'i, Mongoose, grainger valve etc. The mods are mainly stuff like coilovers, 18's, 4 pots with 325mm disks, Cobra seats and cosmetic stuff. Full details on my site www.mr2-turbo.co.uk

Quick Reply: mr2 turbo