Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MITSUBISH EVO VI VII OR P1

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2004, 03:10 PM
JonaJones
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MITSUBISH EVO VI VII OR P1

Im in the process of selling my 2000 plate BMW M5, and im a bit unsure which one of these beasts i want
ill have around 17k to play with as the rest of the M5 profit is getting me missus a freelander [ ahhhhhh aint i nice ]
ive had two scoobs before, a classic turbo wagon that i tweaked a bit and a new shape sti uk type prodrive, that i wasnt that impressed with
just wanted some facts, performances,handling, opinions, servicing reliabillity sort of stuff....
thanks [anyone want to buy a M5 ?]
paul
Old 17 September 2004, 03:16 PM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

I personally, prefer the look of the two door P1 and have been so close to buying one on many occasions. Trying to find one with a warranty is becoming quite difficult though ...
Old 17 September 2004, 03:24 PM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Cool

Just bought a P1 (with warranty) and it is by far the best car I have driven a massive step up in every way from my old MY99 turbo. I've driven the new STIs and they just didn't do it for me. Never driven an EVO though.
Old 17 September 2004, 03:31 PM
JonaJones
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobymoo
Just bought a P1 (with warranty) and it is by far the best car I have driven a massive step up in every way from my old MY99 turbo. I've driven the new STIs and they just didn't do it for me. Never driven an EVO though.
Anyone out there compare the P1 to the 2003 sti uk type prodrive??
paul
Old 17 September 2004, 05:24 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I used to own a P1 and considered chopping it for 2003 STI. IMHO the P1 was a much better drive in all respects. I found the STI a bit disappointing to be honest. If you do get a P1 look for one with the non standard brakes.

You should also try the EVOs if you want a rawer driving experience. The P1 experience is one of effortless progress in comparison and flatters your driving more.
Old 17 September 2004, 06:03 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Default debate

You will find that most Evo Owners like myself are ex Scooby owners. Its the next step up on the block IMHO. Having had a quick version 5 RA that was a bit of a monster on track and road - and moving over to an EVO 6 they are different beasts Let me explane.

My Bro started out with a P1, i got the bug and bought what was the quicker car in the form of the STI RA. Very quick on track, great torque and just a good alround runner. My brother then found the P1 slower than the RA i had - he subsequently bought a V6 STI RA and found when he went back to the P1 as he kept both that the P1 had a better top end speed but was a lot slower than the RA he had.

He then sold the P1.

He then test drove an EVO 6 after japfest display evo's put on. He was blown away by the handling in dry and wet and it was standard.

So he sold the RA. He then spent only 3K on mods and got 350bhp/340torque and no issues with reliability. Nice quick and fun car.

The P1 was a nice car great round town and ok on long journey's, the RA was a beasty with great torque delivery but the EVO was head and shoulders above. It makes driving easy, makes track work easy but is harder on the running costs than the scooby.

So the decision is yours, i would say though drive them all - the evo 7 is heavier than the evo 6 but the 7 is the newer looking car. I would say that you should buy either an EVO6 or an EVO8 the 7 is a lost breed in terms of depreciation. You can get 7's for 16K easy now. EVo 6's can be picked up for 13/14k the evo 6 TME(nice) is 18.5K and an imported 8 delivery miles for £18995...

So:-
EVO
1.Running costs high on EVO's if you intend to looked after the car
2.Service every 4,000 miles
3.lower mpg's when booting the car than the scooby only 50ltr tank
4.Easy to mod for very little cost easy to make 350bhp from 2.5k
5.Prices are holding on most models bar the 7.
6.Driver aids make the car quicker out of the corner and round the corner ACD/SAYC/AYC

SCOOBY
1.Running costs not as much as the evo
2.Service periods longer than evo
3.Medium mpg on longer journeys
4.Better town car
5.Lower resale values as more available
6.Mechanical issues on early versions unknown reasons for lots of engines going pops
7.modding costs more than the evo to reach same levels power levels ATW as fighting cost as well as traction loss.

Hopefully this will make it a bit easier..but i am sure there will be more views after this post..LOL
Old 17 September 2004, 06:51 PM
JonaJones
Scooby Newbie

thanks kane, so on a more mundane level, cos the evo's are tempting me,

it seems your recomending the vi ??
they seem to be lots of different models in that ???
what are the running [servicing] costs then in a years worth of ownership ??
thanks
paul