Scooby New Age to M3?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2004, 02:58 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scooby New Age to M3?

Hi

I'm looking at chopping our New Age WRX in for a 2004 BMW M3, and going to test drive tonight.

Going for the M3 as I fancy a change but dont want to lose the rear seat (for my 3 small kids) and boot space, or lose the performance, and this seems the best drivers car for the money.

Question is, does anyone drive an M3 here or has gone from an Impreza to a M3?

Any opinions?

cheers
Old 06 September 2004, 03:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Loads have done it, with few regrets. But you'll lose the back doors (useful for 3 littluns, I'd have thought) and will want to change it after a few years as they grow, no doubt. Presume you have another family car?
Old 06 September 2004, 03:29 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

I'm looking to trade in my New age STI for a second hand M3 at the end of the year. Didn't want to go brand new as depreciation will be great as I think the new M3 is due out either 2005 or 2006.
Old 06 September 2004, 03:43 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

New M3 out v late 2006 more likely early 2007 in right hand drive. Buying a new one not so bad - you can get 4 to 6 % off list if you shop around.

I went from new age STI to M3 - performance wise the M3 doesn't feel as dramatic but is quicker. From 80ish onwards its a lot quicker. Build quality uncomparable

People go on about the crap sound - they obviously haven't been in one - they sound awesome (especially with the rear quarters open.

SMG or manual - thatis the question??????? have a look at bm3w
Old 06 September 2004, 04:15 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PPPMAT
New M3 out v late 2006 more likely early 2007 in right hand drive. Buying a new one not so bad - you can get 4 to 6 % off list if you shop around.

I went from new age STI to M3 - performance wise the M3 doesn't feel as dramatic but is quicker. From 80ish onwards its a lot quicker. Build quality uncomparable

People go on about the crap sound - they obviously haven't been in one - they sound awesome (especially with the rear quarters open.

SMG or manual - thatis the question??????? have a look at bm3w

Ok thanks folks. Am going for a test drive this eve. We have a Toyota Corolla Verso as a family car, so not too worried about only 3 doors.

ALso need to check that it will fit in the garage - the WRX only just about fits, and the M3 is a fair bit wider.

Manual definately, as the SMG looks like its got its fair share of issues with the software

This ones 6 months old at £39k with 6k on the clock - seems a lot compared to a brand new car, especially if I can get 3% off a new one?

What do you think?

cheers

Neil
Old 06 September 2004, 04:28 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Price is ok, book figure is about 38k - so if its from a BMW dealer thats about right.

There is a lot of M3s out there at the moment, some dealers wont take an M3 in as PX at the moment as they have so many!

But other than that they are great. My mate has one, and the only major problem to watch for is VANOS failure but you will know if that happens
Old 06 September 2004, 04:42 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Personally, If you're buying from a main dealer then a new one might be the way to go - depends on the options you want. If you want a fully loaded car then a used might be better value. You can get 4% without trying

There are lots about and a good choice at the mo. Excellent value car

Trending Topics

Old 06 September 2004, 05:28 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just spoken with the dealer in question prior to going over.....

PX'ing our UK purchased, owned from new, 2003 Impreza WRX with Full Dealer service history and fitted with 18" Superlegs and STI high rear wing against a £39k car - and whats the most they can offer me.....

12k!! (maybe 13 at a push!, but doubtful). Maybe I'm being nieve here, but when spending this much money on a practically new car, surely I can expect a better trade in value?

So, bearing that in mind, how flexible are they on the price - answer 'not very, we dont need to be, a couple of hundred £' and we dont offer discounts on used M3s'.

Didnt even bother asking if he had the car available this eve for a test drive!

So, can anyone else suggest a more 'flexible' BMW dealer?
Old 06 September 2004, 05:29 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

BMW's are really good quality, and compared to scoobys they have better balance, as seen at TRAX -

The only problem is the weight, they do feel every bit heavier than a scooby - but thats the price you pay for a silent cabin and quality fit and finish !
Old 06 September 2004, 05:32 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

The used market is dead at the moment, your scooby is very desirable and would sell quickly privatly, most people who p/x there cars seldom do it for the lack of hassle, it's more likly to have a few issues -

All BMW dealers are tight - i haven't been in a fantastic one yet ! But cash in hand does seem to sway things a bit
Old 06 September 2004, 05:39 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Depends where you are in the country. I have always Liked Bridgegate - Derby and Chesterfield. I can give you a contact name if you like.

You're best off going onto bm3w and asking the forum - they will give you all you need to know.

You WILL get 4% off list at least and you SHOULD get a good deal on trade-in. The better dealers tend to be those that are in (not so good) areas as they have to work harder to sell and give out discounts etc...

don't be put off by the odd arrogant bmw salesman - there are a few nice guys out there.

Also....try and sell your motor privately if you can - if it saves you £500 its worth doing
Old 06 September 2004, 07:03 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hex
Manual definately, as the SMG looks like its got its fair share of issues with the software
I sold my E46 M3 in January to get a 996 C4. Fantastic car, I still miss it many times. IMHO it is the best car I have owned, including the Porsche. The sound above 6k revs is spine-chilling! Drive it though a tunnel with teh windows open!

My opinion is that the SMG gearbox is superb, and the best option the M3 comes with... by a long way! It does not have any software issues whatsoever and is ultra reliable. Bear in mind the SMG is NOT like a suto box and needs an absolute minimum of half a day to appreciate it.

What colour/spec are you going for?
Old 06 September 2004, 07:08 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skittles
I sold my E46 M3 in January to get a 996 C4. Fantastic car, I still miss it many times. IMHO it is the best car I have owned, including the Porsche.
So why are you still driving the Porsche then? - serious question btw.
Old 06 September 2004, 07:08 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Did the super legs come with the car or you buy them seperate, same for spoiler?

If so then get em off and put originals back on, trade in price will be the same as they won't make any difference and you can flog them for extra cash.
Old 06 September 2004, 08:49 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Definately get the SMG, take one for a decent test drive, it's great fun. Boss has had one for nearly 3 years and never had a problem with it. Just a thought, you say you are going to take your 3 kids in the back, does the M3 coupe actually have 3 seatbelts in the back? I know the convertible only has 2. Might be worth checking.
Old 06 September 2004, 11:24 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SJJ84
Definately get the SMG, take one for a decent test drive, it's great fun. Boss has had one for nearly 3 years and never had a problem with it. Just a thought, you say you are going to take your 3 kids in the back, does the M3 coupe actually have 3 seatbelts in the back? I know the convertible only has 2. Might be worth checking.
the third shoulder belt is an option, that only a few seem to be fitted with.

I've been advised against the SMG box, but maybe that wasnt such good advice?

I'll keep you posted on whether I get the beast or keep the WRX

Neil
Old 07 September 2004, 12:30 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggers
So why are you still driving the Porsche then? - serious question btw.
Fair question. I keep my cars for a minimum of 2 years, maximum of 3. Selling after 7 months is bad news financially!

Besides the Porka's a great car, just many aspects of the M3 were better. I wouldn't buy the same car twice!
Old 07 September 2004, 01:19 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skittles
Fair question. I keep my cars for a minimum of 2 years, maximum of 3. Selling after 7 months is bad news financially!

Besides the Porka's a great car, just many aspects of the M3 were better. I wouldn't buy the same car twice!
Fair enough mate, just interested that's all.

Regards,

tiggers.

P.S. Like your choice of Porsche - very nice indeed!
Old 07 September 2004, 02:38 PM
JONNY.BRAVO
Scooby Newbie

Hi Hex, just two words to you - DO IT !!!! I px'd my 03 STI just two days ago for a mint manual 02 M3 in silver, fully specced up with 29K on the clock, at Vines of Gatwick. My STI was close to a year old with 10K on her and a few upgrades such as DVD player, bass tube etc. I had to battle for 19K for her, after ringing round the local dealers and private adverts and getting no response. She was my second scoob (first was a 01 WRX) and I was looking for a new mini for the missus and saw this silver beast on 19's begging for me to take her for a test drive.

Next day that was it - love at first blast! The noise is fantastic!!!! Stick it in sport mode, aircon off and listen to your own F1 car take off - yes I know I'm a bit excited ) She is sitting outside and I can't wait for my run home.

Totaly different in every way to the STI. Build quality on a different planet, no turbo lag, RWD fun, better residual value, better looking, sunroof, fancy lecky folding mirrors, the list goes on for the toys. I know it is a different type of car and it certainly can't be simply chucked about like the scoob because of the weight, but don't be fooled it does shift and for a ton and a half of metal, you can take corners with a high level of speed.

Take no notice of what people say about the noise, apart from if they are saying it is wonderful! Do it and you won't regret it (at any cost).

Gregg - a very happy M3 owner.
Old 07 September 2004, 02:49 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Re the sound of an M3, I had a cab for 3 months & soon sold it on (to cut a long story short very underwhelmed by the car) but eveyone who heard it commented that it sounded like something was wrong with the exhaust.

To me it just didn't feel "special" enough, just a regular 3 series with some poke.

Ro.
Old 07 September 2004, 03:19 PM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

Have to agree about the sound. I think they are a very good car, but sound crap (with exception to the CSL which sounds awesome!) I considered a M3 before finally going for a 996. imo the 996 handled a lot better (it does have the sports pack), not that the M3 handles poorly, infact, for a car of such weight, it handles very well.
Though not an expert, I would say the M3 did not feel as much of a 'sports car' as either my old scoob (Type R) or the 996 (C2).

However, I'd choose the M3 over any of the 'new age' Impreza's (except the T25)
Old 07 September 2004, 03:26 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Johnny Bravo - cheers for the comparison - sounds like I'll have to get one. I might go for a slightly older model also - maybe an 02 or early 03, as the 04 is stretching my budget a little.

Of interest is that Subaru would offer me 14-15k on my WRX against a new STI8, whereas BMW would only offer 12k against a car costing 15k more.
Old 07 September 2004, 07:28 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Thats normal for dealers of other manufactureurs to pay less in part ex for different cars. BMW only want BMW's on their forecourt. Have you asked Subaru if they will buy your car from you without you buying another. Got rid of a few cars like that, don't always get as much as if you are part ex'ing, but you may get more than BMW have offered.