Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Help needed!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2004, 01:38 PM
The Mini Daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed!!!!!!!

I have a Mini 1275 (suprised, your, thick then)

basically i resprayed and paneled it up about4 years ago and i was never 100% happy with the finish. I have the opertunity (or should i say) free garage space until christmas to spray the vehicle again. At the moment the car is ford radient red. I would like to keep the colour and metal flake the paint. I have never sprayed 'flake' before and anyone in the knows advise would be apreciated. I am going to spray the car radient red again. can anyone recommend and make/brand of paint (with a reasonable price tag) that will accept 'flake'?

cheers TheMiniDaddy
Old 05 September 2004, 03:38 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Leave it The Mini Daddy - after a few years when the bottom of the doors and the A-panels start to bubble, won't that give you the 'flake' effect you want anyway?!

Sorry, just kidding. I have no idea what 'flake' paint is (my 84bhp Clubman Estate in Peugeot metallic Miami Blue was sprayed by my dad) - just wanted to say Hi to another Mini enthusiast on Scoobynet
Old 05 September 2004, 03:46 PM
The Mini Daddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJNafey
Leave it The Mini Daddy - after a few years when the bottom of the doors and the A-panels start to bubble, won't that give you the 'flake' effect you want anyway?!

Sorry, just kidding. I have no idea what 'flake' paint is (my 84bhp Clubman Estate in Peugeot metallic Miami Blue was sprayed by my dad) - just wanted to say Hi to another Mini enthusiast on Scoobynet
hey hey its not just me with the passion for alex's creation.

I dont think it will ever rust m8 ive used 16 gallons of waxoyl (no exaduration) i just kept layering it up
Old 05 September 2004, 06:08 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

lol, blimey! Yours should last even longer than mine then

About to get a VERY big quote for welding work - but, after 116,000 miles, I think it's quite justified in falling apart. Will never scrap the old girl though - will keep ploughing more and more money into it - have replaced most of the car already but unfortunately, lots of bits of metalwork underneath have decided their time is up simultaneously

It wouldn't be so bad if my Impreza hadn't died last week as well
Old 05 September 2004, 09:08 PM
The Mini Daddy
Scooby Regular

lol, blimey! Yours should last even longer than mine then

About to get a VERY big quote for welding work - but, after 116,000 miles, I think it's quite justified in falling apart. Will never scrap the old girl though - will keep ploughing more and more money into it - have replaced most of the car already but unfortunately, lots of bits of metalwork underneath have decided their time is up simultaneously

It wouldn't be so bad if my Impreza hadn't died last week as well
what happend to the scooby?
Old 05 September 2004, 09:31 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Clutch has been juddery for quite a while but has got really bad lately - turns out I've got a distorted flywheel - so I need a new clutch and flywheel at £800.

Just as I was getting to the point where I was ready to book it into the garage, the clutch went completely. Apparently it's related to a gearbox problem. To cut a long story short, I'm speaking to someone tomorrow to get a reconditioned gearbox off them for about £700 so that the Subaru garage can fit it.

Oh yeah, and it's been dripping power steering fluid over my new red brickwork driveway for the past few months so I need to get the seals changed on the PAS pump.

Oh yeah, and it's due for another oil and filter change because they have to be done every few thousand miles in these bl**dy cars.

So I'm looking at about £1700. I could buy two complete Minis with new MOTs for that!! The thing that really gets me is I've been trying to sell the Impreza for a stupid price but the market has become saturated with them over the last year so now I can't afford to keep it AND I can't sell it!
Old 05 September 2004, 09:34 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

By the way, you don't want some big ICE for your Mini do you?! I'm just about to post an ad for all the kit that I've got inside my Mini My Mini is my biggest passion and my tasty stereo inside it is my second biggest. So, as much as I'm going to hate to do it, I'm selling it all off to raise funds.

Trending Topics

Old 06 September 2004, 12:24 AM
The Mini Daddy
Scooby Regular

Talking

By the way, you don't want some big ICE for your Mini do you?! I'm just about to post an ad for all the kit that I've got inside my Mini My Mini is my biggest passion and my tasty stereo inside it is my second biggest. So, as much as I'm going to hate to do it, I'm selling it all off to raise funds.
What is it that your selling m8?
Old 06 September 2004, 10:02 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Great, more Scooby/Mini enthusiasts.

I have 4 Minis being done up at the moment.

Main one is project for my 15 yeaqr old son. Its getting a bare metal strip down and lots of welding.

Would be very interested in the ICE you have available as teenager wants to fit tons of that sort of stuff in it.
Old 06 September 2004, 12:05 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Add me to the list of mini/scoob fans. I've only got 1 thou. It was built by Z Cars.

Matt
Old 06 September 2004, 01:30 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Cool - more Scooby/Mini mates

My ICE is all listed on Scoobynet here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=359510

IMO, it would be a bit much for a new driver but you could fit it in stages I suppose - "well done son, you've been driving for 6 months without crashing - have another amplifier"

It's really nice stuff and is an absolute bargain - do call me if you're interested
Old 06 September 2004, 08:38 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Mini Daddy
I have a Mini 1275 (suprised, your, thick then)

basically i resprayed and paneled it up about4 years ago and i was never 100% happy with the finish. I have the opertunity (or should i say) free garage space until christmas to spray the vehicle again. At the moment the car is ford radient red. I would like to keep the colour and metal flake the paint. I have never sprayed 'flake' before and anyone in the knows advise would be apreciated. I am going to spray the car radient red again. can anyone recommend and make/brand of paint (with a reasonable price tag) that will accept 'flake'?

cheers TheMiniDaddy
Hi m8, I relied to your post in `projects` but will add a bit here too. The flake/flek goes in the laquer not the paint colour itself, (asuming you don't mean `metalic paint`- as used from the factory) The best laquer to use is twin pack/2k but has isosianates(sp?) so you would need breathing apparatus or a really good mask. Depending on what material you originally sprayed the car in will depend on what you can put over the top of it. (You shouldn't need to re-do the red, just flat it down as a base colour without going through it). If you need any more info pm me and I'll try to answer any Q's you have.
Steve.