Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo 5 v Sti3 Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 11:04 AM
mike26
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo 5 v Sti3 Type-R

Test-drove 2 Evo 5's yesterday...1 had an HKS exhaust and induction kit,other standard.Thought they were v.quick but not as much as I'd expected. Then I test-drove a standard V3 TYpe-R..... couldn't believe how much faster it was,or felt....much,much more fun. Anyone else experienced this? Thought the Evo would be the quicker of the 2,not the other way round!!
Old 16 August 2004, 11:08 AM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?

I'm lucky enough to own an WRX STi Type R and also have access to my dads EVO5. The gear ratios on the typeR are shorter than the EVo so the Type R feels quicker still and is to a point!!

With regards to handling the AYC is ******* brilliant especially for every day instances, but the DCCD on the Type R makes for a totally different drive to the standard Scoobs. I tend to just leave the DCCD on open, so more drive is to the rear, but you still have to try to get the back end to move anywhere.

Looks wise, because the typeR is 2 Door and has all the kit on it a feel it just edges it. (but if you ask my dad his EVO looks better !!) The Evo does look more aggressive though!!

With us both using the cars for every day use, I have found that the Impreza has given us the least running costs, and this includes new clutches in both cars!

At the end of the day both cars are both desireable and quick and if someone offered me a drive in either I would snap their hands off!!

Cheers

J4CK50N
Old 16 August 2004, 11:10 AM
C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike26
Test-drove 2 Evo 5's yesterday...1 had an HKS exhaust and induction kit,other standard.Thought they were v.quick but not as much as I'd expected. Then I test-drove a standard V3 TYpe-R..... couldn't believe how much faster it was,or felt....much,much more fun. Anyone else experienced this? Thought the Evo would be the quicker of the 2,not the other way round!!
Read all the other posts on this

Subaru = laggy & when comes on boost 'feels' faster.

Evo = just look at the speedo - the power delivry is a lot more linear so you don't get a massive kick.

They are equally as fast pretty much as standard - but everyone knows the Evo is better (Oh & you don't see 9,000,000 of them on the road every day )

They don't have chocolate engines either
Old 16 August 2004, 02:42 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

I have both
Allthough the type r is a V4
All depends what you want from the car really......
Old 16 August 2004, 03:15 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

Talking depends what you want to do...

Had the honour of owning both said cars 2 yrs ago:

a 97 sti3/4 type R with a 22b turbo and evo 5 white absolutely std.

point a to b: evo 5 wins due to ayc, makes me (a bad driver) look good
type r with rear biased needs a good driver to fully utilise its potential. many occasions nearly lost the back end on type R

chasis: type R feels tighter as 2 door shell, feels more rigid and flexes less

fuel consumption: daily and on heavy footed runs, type r much better.

acceleration: type r due to grp N close ratio quick shift box. evo for top speed.

interior: comparable but reckon evo 5 has 4 doors so much better all round.

running costs: almost similar but guess scooby has longer service intervals.

rarity: evo 5 as you dont see an evo everyday. scoobs are all over the place.

my choice? scooby! due the the engine note and laggi-er turbo. i'm just one of those who likes the feel when turbo kicks in for the fun of it. evo 5 has very good power distribution so less neck breaking lunges.

i dont race or drive hard everyday so you could say the scoob does provide some cheap thrill over the evo. FEELS FAST. He he he