Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Scooby finally sold......what the chuffing heck next???

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2004, 02:32 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby finally sold......what the chuffing heck next???

Well, I guess it had to happen at some point. The car is finally sold (as I have always maintained, the first see it bought it! ) and therefore am now on the market for something new.

As some of you may know, the reason I have sold the car is because I set up my own business 12 months ago and am subsequently doing a lot more motorway miles than I had expected. Also, although things are going even better than expected, I am trying to be as careful as possible for the first few years in terms of finances, and so given that the Scooby costs me best part of £500 a month, and a considerable fuel bill for the company, it needs to go for something more ' acceptable'.

So, a few caveats:

It has to have some kind of image. I work with some pretty impressive clients, and so I cant turn up in an old banger.

It has to have good fuel economy. Almost certainly a turbo diesel, although I have made an exception for the integra type r as it can do 30+mpg off-cam.

It has to be reasonably cheap to purchase. I have set a rough top price of £10k, although the car currently at the top of my list is 1/2 of that.

It has to be relatively dynamic to drive. I drive to have fun as much as to get somewhere, and whilst I will now probably buy a dedicated trackday car, I still want something that will be even slightly exciting when the road gets interesting.

It has to be reliable. My days tend to be mapped to the minute, and I really cannot afford to get into the car and it not start.

Which brings me nicely to the car at the top of my list, the Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD Veloce. Already enough being said on the other thread concerning this car, but it seems to have everything except the reliability. That much car for that kind of price, perhaps I can live with coming to know my local AA man??

Anyway, here are my current thoughts, I would appreciate any advice or feedback from people who have owned or experienced them.

1. £4-6k Alfa 156 2.4 jtd
2. £5-7k 2001 VW Golf 1.9 tdi / Audi A3 tdi 1.9
3. 6-7k 2001 Seat lean cupra 20v turbo or tdi
4. 9k 2001 (old shape) bmw 320 d
5. 9k Renault clio 172 cup
6. 8-10k Honda Integra type r dc4
7. 9k Audi A4 (new shape) 1.9tdi
8. 12.5k Renault Clio 182 cup

Leftfield wildcard: porsche 944 / 968 s2 / turbo / cs etc. £5k - 10k

Somebody help me please before my brain explodes.

Last edited by Edcase; 10 August 2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10 August 2004, 02:34 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.9 audi a4
Old 10 August 2004, 02:35 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

A4 2.5TDi would be my choice.
Old 10 August 2004, 02:36 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

I have to say the a4 is currently wavering very close to the top of the list having sat in a friends the other day. I was mightily impressed, particularly with the build quality / interior etc.
Old 10 August 2004, 02:37 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

but then for the 15k i would need for the 2.5 I could get a integra dc5, do 35mpg for work and then in my playtime.....
Old 10 August 2004, 02:44 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

OK, I've just run the list past the missus and she has pointed out that the whole point is saving money, and 15 isn't much less that the scooby, so I've cut the budget to 10k. That drops the 2.5 A4 and the DC5 integra, I wasn't bothered by the beemers anyhow, but still leaves the DC4 and 1.9 A4 options.
Old 10 August 2004, 03:19 PM
C
Scooby Regular

The Alfa will break down & cost you a fortune....
Old 10 August 2004, 03:21 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Golf tdi, without a doubt
Old 10 August 2004, 03:22 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

200SX is a great motorway cruiser and excellent VFM. MPG is very good too.

Alos worth a look would be the accord type R, a bit more civilised than the DC2, which WILL **** you off on a motorway.

Or, a 406 V6 Coupe....

MB
Old 10 August 2004, 03:25 PM
C
Scooby Regular

This is a quote of a post I made back in May when I stil had mine as a company car:

I shall cut 'n' paste my experiences below:

These were posts I made here over the period of about 1 week.

People mention them having 'soul'...

Give me reliability over soul any day - since my last message I had another AA recovery

Mine sounds like a bag of nails again (like the bottom end has gone again) if it has that will be the 3rd time & a week before it goes back to the lease company.

In all my years of ownership I have been lucky I guess, & this car was the one to change that & make up for all the other reliabile ones I have had

My warranty bill (at this point) is considerably more than the car cost in the 1st place which is comical!!!
Quote:
I keep hearing that Alfa's quality problems are a thing of the past. I thought so too when I bought the GTV and was proven wrong. You can't knock their designs, but the execution leaves much to be desired - approach with caution and a big wallet!!

a VERY big wallet!

I have a list of warranty work for my car at work - I dont have the time to type it all out as it would literally take me hours!

The 'look' is good, the execution is beyond a joke bad!
Old 10 August 2004, 03:28 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Just to make sure you got that....

I'll dig out the exact amount for 3 yers ownership & really scare you off them

Every person who has an Alfa company car where I work (156's & 147's) have had nothing but problems.

We have about 25 within the group.

All are now at the end of thier 3 year cycle.

Not one car in the last 3 years has a warranty bill of less than £10,000 (mine and others are substantially more)

So if you can afford to run one, can be bothered when they literally break down weeky, remember to fill it with oil every week (im doing about 1.5 litre's a week) then yes it's for you.

But for everyone else it's the biggest, most unreliable heap of **** I have ever had to drive.
Old 10 August 2004, 03:29 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

What’s the fuel consumption going to be like for the Alfa, wouldn’t’ normally suggest one, but as youv’e said before it’s an awful lot for your money, and I doubt you’ll have any major problems with it, before you want to replace it. edit: I take that back now, based on above post

It has to have good fuel economy. Almost certainly a turbo diesel, although I have made an exception for the integra type r as it can do 30+mpg off-cam
Hmmmm, if you can keep it off cam? DC4? Do you mean Dc2 or DC5 (or I’m I confussed)? You know my opinion on both of these – fantastic…If I had £10k to spend I would go out and get a red or black DC2 – no question, no choice! But I wouldn't want to have to do many miles on the motorway in the DC2 (5 gears and 9k revs - reach for the pain killers) - not sure about the DC5 never driven it (but too pricey anyway).

For your needs for next year or so I would personally go for the Audi or the Golf, but Audi has better image for business. My fav out of the Diesels would still be the Seat though, for the money it’s probably a more ‘sport’ orientated car overall. Have you tested a Leon yet? They’re very good, quite a nice cabin, lots for your money..

Don't bother with a Clio it might not be as expensive to buy/run as the Scoob, but you'll still end up rinsing it everywhere and every oportunity, and you know it, so you'll still go through the juice (tyres etc) and it wont' be as good a motorway runner as the others.

Why not spend £4k on an somethign sensible, and spend the change on a Westfield 1800 or a stripped out 205 GTI

Last edited by mynickers; 10 August 2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10 August 2004, 03:34 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C
Just to make sure you got that....

I'll dig out the exact amount for 3 yers ownership & really scare you off them
Cripes......so *thats* why they go for £5k!!!!
Old 10 August 2004, 03:37 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mynickers
What’s the fuel consumption going to be like for the Alfa, wouldn’t’ normally suggest one, but as youv’e said before it’s an awful lot for your money, and I doubt you’ll have any major problems with it, before you want to replace it. edit: I take that back now, based on above post

[qupte]It has to have good fuel economy. Almost certainly a turbo diesel, although I have made an exception for the integra type r as it can do 30+mpg off-cam

Yeah I've crossed the clio off in my mind. Doh, yeah I meant dc2 integra

Golf is an obvious favourite and I prefer it over the A3.

Seat I need to book a test as I've never driven one.

Alfa is scaring more and more

For 9k the A4 1.9 seems bloody good. I had one put its foot down on the mway in front of me earlier and until I reached 4500rpm it was just as fast...
Old 10 August 2004, 03:41 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

so we're left with:

1. £5-7k 2001 VW Golf 1.9 tdi
2. 6-7k 2001 Seat leon cupra 20v turbo or tdi
3. 6-8k Honda Accord type r
4. 8-10k Honda Integra type r dc2
5. 9k Audi A4 (new shape) 1.9tdi
Old 10 August 2004, 03:43 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Seat dealer threw me the keys for a Leon Cupra 1.8T and told me it was the purple one in the forecourt, take it for as long as I wanted, I took it all afternoon and abused it.

I have read a few people in here who had the exact same experience form dealers, so sounds like it's a policy, go and take one out with the lady for an afternoon at the weekend, get used to it, go for drive in country bit of motorway driving, few b-roads, think you'll be quite impressed..

Audi otherwise eh!

Actually I like all the cars on short list, dont think you'll go far wrong with any..However, petrol, even VTEC will end up costing you more, unless you can show restraint, which you might do more sometimes than others, but at the end of the day, if you've got ATR that 6k cam zone will always be there teasing you! 1.8T Seat will cost you as much as a scoob in fuel!

Good thing about the Diesels from what owners in here have said, is that you can still give them a fair amount of stick and not see outrageous fuel bills, still higher than driving sensibly, but not 'Turbo petrol' expensive... Plus its power and torque lower down the rev ranges, which is where you are in traffic most of the time.. I'd love one..

God we're getting sensible(ish) in are old age ed, we'll be getting automatic next

Last edited by mynickers; 10 August 2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10 August 2004, 03:51 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

God we're getting sensible(ish) in are old age ed, we'll be getting automatic next
My ideal car at the mo would be the a4 2.5 tdi automatic

Cant stretch to 15k+ tho really.

Well I can, but as I have said would hardly be the point of the exercise....
Old 10 August 2004, 03:52 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
so we're left with:

Go for a golf, or if you think it is a tad too low on the image front, get the Audi.

If you turn up at high end clients in a Honda Integra they will not be impressed.
Don't get me wrong, undoubtedly a good car, but what "we" think as a good car, may not be what they think is a good car, if you see what I mean.
I run my own business, and I think what you drive can make a big difference with certain people.

What about an old shape 5 series? Great bargains around at the moment, bombproof mechanicals, great image/resale if the spec/colour right, and leaves you with more money for the track car!!
Old 10 August 2004, 03:58 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I've got a Passat 115 SE. It's cheap, roomy and comfortable. Get a high miler as they go on for ever.
Old 10 August 2004, 03:59 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

RE: M5. I nearly mentioned old e-class merc for same reasons - my old man had one, and it was a fab D-turbo car, however, if there are problems, you have got larger bills to pay than other alternatives. Plus having old status symbol cars can almost be as naff as turning up in a hot hatch. All the second rate drug dealers around here drive around in old merc's and beemers!

Last edited by mynickers; 10 August 2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10 August 2004, 04:01 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
I've got a Passat 115 SE. It's cheap, roomy and comfortable. Get a high miler as they go on for ever.
Good shout on the Passat, very good car, and quality image.

Also, coming back to the Audi, where are you gonna find a new shape diesel A4 for 9K that is any good????

They book a lot higher than this, unless they have been round the world.
Old 10 August 2004, 04:02 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

My ideal car at the mo would be the a4 2.5 tdi automatic
http://www.marksandspencer.com/

They dont' sell pipes any more, but they have a nice range of slippers!

The old man's A4 TDI auto/tiptronic effort is turning up next month, looking forward to a blat in it actually. I can totally understand it for long journeys and traffic, changing gear and lifting clutches in a massive line of traffic is not fun I can agree.

So Megabusa or Radical?
Old 10 August 2004, 04:04 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robert Rosario
Go for a golf, or if you think it is a tad too low on the image front, get the Audi.

If you turn up at high end clients in a Honda Integra they will not be impressed.
Don't get me wrong, undoubtedly a good car, but what "we" think as a good car, may not be what they think is a good car, if you see what I mean.
I run my own business, and I think what you drive can make a big difference with certain people.

What about an old shape 5 series? Great bargains around at the moment, bombproof mechanicals, great image/resale if the spec/colour right, and leaves you with more money for the track car!!
good point about the integra. 5 series perhaps too big. I'm sensing I'm going to end up with a golf tdi
Old 10 August 2004, 04:05 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

So Megabusa or Radical?
Hehehe, thats another thread entirely
Old 10 August 2004, 04:07 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robert Rosario
Also, coming back to the Audi, where are you gonna find a new shape diesel A4 for 9K that is any good????
That was just from a very quick bit of research on autotrader. they went from 9k for the 1.9 to 15k for the 2.5.

I can stretch to just the other side of 10k but tbh I can feel a clean 01 golf tdi with a chip coming on....
Old 10 August 2004, 04:08 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

As it's one of your wildcard possibilities, I would suggest the 944 Turbo (I replaced my RB5 with one). Economy is pretty good on long motorway runs - high 20's but will drop in town. Reliable - no major problems in 12 months. Image - questionable I guess. Varies from "nice car " to "oh you couldnt afford a 911 then". Price wise, a good one should be anywhere from £7-10k. Cheap ones are best avoided as there are a number of expensive-to-fix problems, such as best part of £1000 for a new clutch.
They are certainly enjoyable to drive, though a totally different experience to an Impreza obviously.
In the 12 months I have had mine it has cost me a fair amount less than my Impreza used to - cheaper insurance, much cheaper servicing, best of all virtually zero depreciation. Oh, and it's faster too

Steve
Old 10 August 2004, 04:23 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Hehehe, thats another thread entirely
Heh, I am totally sold on 2000 ztec, first new job, then new piggybank - then I want a 300bhp per tonne with fourwheels and some fibreglass held on with sticky tape to show up supercar owners with

Get a tow hook on your audi diesel and you can give me a lift to the track and we'll take turns lol
Old 11 August 2004, 02:39 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Jag Type-X TDI?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/ca...ange_id=100083
Old 11 August 2004, 02:57 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

so we're left with:

From that list I'd take either the Cupra, Accord or Integra but with my history of cars you should never listen to me

The Accord is probably the best allrounder that you have listed there and I'm led to believe that they are very good even when not on cam Ian Sadler just bought one so ask him for his opinion if you are considering one
Old 11 August 2004, 04:12 PM
Pedroskate
Scooby Regular

If you can overcome any predjudice you may have, the Skoda Fabia VRS was voted No15 in the top 25 performance cars of the year. 130 TDI, 228 lb/ft, 6 speed, 144g/km emmisions, lists at under 12k I believe. As well as the scooby I've got the Octavia with the same 130 TDI engine....stunningly good!! I dont have a problem with the image because their light years ahead of the original Skodas. nuff said.

Quick Reply: Scooby finally sold......what the chuffing heck next???