Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

EVO VIII FQ320 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2004, 04:09 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO VIII FQ320 Test Drive

Had a test drive in a evo fq320 yesterday after reading many good reviews in the press about how much better they are than the impreza etc.
The looks are great really looks the part from the outside.
Interior, basic, both the speedo and the rev counter are tiny. I fact you really had to look to see what speed you where doing and trying to judge between 30 and 40 was difficult.
Could be a problem when your in a 30 zone with a speed camera!
I had to take it with the rep so we where 2 up but I had chance to take it on roads I knew well with the STi so it was a good comparison.

First I took it up the slip lane of the motorway which has a long slow bend in it. With the Scoob when you nail it on this you can feel the car "squirm" with power with the EVO it felt gutless, even heading to the red line there was no censation of power. On the motorway there was a pocket of torque which kept coming in but nothing earth shattering.
Finally got on to the B roads with some twisties and the EVO felt very twitchy hopping about, the throttle felt hard to control, even the very lightest touch it seem to kangaroo.

Hitting the power again on roads that I know well there really seemed to be a lack of power, and after 20 mins I was really ready to take the car back and was really dissapointed with it. I kept telling myself, maybe there's something wrong with the car but it was nearly brand new, done 900 miles so the engine will be still tight but the differance between the STi PPP and the FQ320 seemed large to say the least.

Oh and the steering wheel was uncomfortable and really palsticy.

All in all a big dissapointment, I was really ready to expect something special but it was not the case.
Old 05 August 2004, 05:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

tested an evo 7 fq300 last year and posted the same- bland.
Old 05 August 2004, 05:43 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Interesting comments on the VIII.

I tested an VII FQ 300 a while back when I had a P1.

It had much more direct steering (more below). Was more twitchy putting the power down. Didnt cope with poor road surfaces as well. Saying that it didnt roll or understeer as much.

Didnt feel quicker but speedo suggested otherwise.

It was a pig to drive in traffic.

Overall it felt more challenging to drive than the scoob and the steering was a revelation. IMHO it was much more of a drivers car than the new STI I also tried.
Old 05 August 2004, 06:00 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I have an 8 FQ330 after owning an My02 Sti and an My03STi with PPP.

My advice would be take out a car for a longer run, and preferably a "run in" one. Does the dealer have a 330 or 300 non mr you can compare?? I had a demo overnight when I wanted to test. Also the standard yoko tyres are really noisy, mine has 18"s with Pzeros and is a much quieter ride.

On the positive, the Evo will anhialate the Sti in terms of acceleration and especially handling. Standard leather trim on mine makes the cabin more upmarket than the Sti, also as a bigger car is more practical for adults in the back. The seats are nicer too. The Hid's are a revelation at night.

Negatives: Suspension is hard as nails, so every pothole and bump is felt hard. The speedo is tiny and the wrong colour (red on black) so I rely on my road angel for quick glances at my speed. The burble is always mentioned, however this is negated by the howl the Evo makes on full chat.

I don't find the 8 twitchy under power, however smooth control is essential otherwise you do get kangaroos as mentioned. All comes with practice tho'.

Surely the steering wheels was leather???
Old 05 August 2004, 06:58 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

MattW Interesting to hear your comments. i thought EVO drivers would come out in defence. I am trying a FQ340 on Saturday so I hope that's better. I had a limited time slot to drive the EVO so I couldn't or they wouldn't let me keep it overnight which would have been better.
I think though that you get a pretty good feel for a car in the first 15 mins, I don't mean you know the thing inside out but you have a good idea for the car.
I find your comment that an EVO would "anhialate" an STi PPP a bit exaggerated. The FQ320 on paper should have more power than the STi PPP but on yesterdays drive it doesn't "feel" as powerful and on the same stretch of road and doesn't pull as hard.
Old 05 August 2004, 07:14 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Then there was something wrong with it seriously . Mind you I readily admit I'm comparing a 330 with an Sti, which isn't fair in reality.

I find the Evo is much more difficult to blip round town, power is instantanous and you can be doing quite silly speeds very quickly. The scoob was never like that, partly due to the lag which the Sti seems to suffer more from.

On the open road, the torque on a 330 means less stirring of the gear box. I am talking about general everyday family car driving now. Maybe the Sti gets closer if you ring its neck, but i never did, as I felt the limits of the car more than i do the evo.

Honestly, I think if I had been given 15 mins in the Evo i would have sent it packing, so i am not surprised at your feelings. The interior on a Scoob is far cosier than the Evo, and bearing in mind the price difference 32k for a 330 (340 now) it really was an eye opener. The scoob is much easier to drive smoothly, just try and get a longer drive and if you still walk away not liking it, then fair enough.

There are lots of people on here who although they respect the car and its abilities, could never live with one. Just dont be one of the sheep who give it 15 mins

edited to say - I get bored very quickly with cars, but i can't bare to be parted from it, it is the most complwte package I have ever driven. now if only it could switch to 50mpg economy and I'd be ecstatic

Last edited by MattW; 05 August 2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05 August 2004, 07:15 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

and a piccy for good measure:

Old 05 August 2004, 07:26 PM
Gallardo
Scooby Regular

It'sd all about the way the power is delivered.

Subaru's get lots of lag and then a big whack in the back when it comes on boost, then dies of at around 6k, the EVO's have a much more linear power delivery with less lag and a longer on boost period.
Old 05 August 2004, 07:34 PM
john25
Scooby Newbie

Compshack,

I have owned an Impreza and now a EVO, and your comments about the 320 seem very strange and contradict every single review of an evo vs sti. All I can suggest is the car must of had a problem, because on my test drive the EVO felt unbelievable with the power and much more responsive than the sti, and while the sti goes around a corner very fast you always fell uncomfortable
with the front end pushing out with understeer. I would suggest try another car and drive it very hard and you will see the EVO is a better drive!!
Old 05 August 2004, 09:52 PM
datsunman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gallardo
It'sd all about the way the power is delivered.

Subaru's get lots of lag and then a big whack in the back when it comes on boost, then dies of at around 6k, the EVO's have a much more linear power delivery with less lag and a longer on boost period.
I was about to post a similar thing, when side by side (a few years ago but similar comparison nonetheless) my GTI-R pulled a few car lengths on a workmates '96 Scoob. His was PPP'd and *felt* a lot lot quicker than my car; in reality my car had had a lot more work done to it and was a lot quicker.

Nearer the present I used to have a Golf R32, again felt like a very impressive car. It felt fast, but wasn't.
Old 05 August 2004, 09:56 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Gone from a UK bugeye STI with ppp to an evo8 mr fq340
Evo is quicker in all respects, twin scroll turbo power delivery is less laggy and more linear and peaking at 1.6 bar on the FQ340!
Steering is much more direct and the new suspension gives a ride more comparable to my sti. You can take extreme liberties if you wish with the evo, way beyond the limit of my old sti which would have understeered into the nearest bush if treated in the same way.
Try an Evo MR 340 that is running properly and you will finds yourself driving quicker than in your Sti after a very few miles.
Agree the STI especially before the ppp gives a shove as it eventually comes on boost that I miss, but overall sorry but the Evo 8 MR FQ340 is in a differant league IMHO. Although few would suggest it on this site
Old 05 August 2004, 10:16 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I test drove an Evo FQ-300 a few weeks ago, shortly before I ordered a JDM STI.

Call me a sheep if you like, but I felt it was a bit of a one-trick pony; it was hugely, crushingly capable - effortlessly quick with exceptionally sharp steering - but the chassis only really came alive when pushing hard. For the 90% of the time I spend cruising on motorways and crawling through towns, it was just noisy, bland, uncomfortable and hard work.

The STI, on the other hand, may not be as quick, but what the test drive brought home to me is that going fast isn't necessarily the same thing as having fun. The STI was entertaining, communicative, cohesive and rewarding, even though I've no doubt the Evo would leave it for dead in the absence of traffic and coppers.

I spent my time in the Evo trying to find things to like, but instead I just found myself going too fast before the effort and the compromises became worthwhile. By contrast, in the STI (admittedly fitted with inexpensive Eibach springs to make the ride tolerable) I felt immediately at home and comfortable. The JDM car's twin scroll turbo makes all the difference (though I didn't find the Type UK + PPP too bad).
Old 05 August 2004, 10:32 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by compshack
I am trying a FQ340 on Saturday so I hope that's better.
Snap - me too. Tried a MY04 STI last weekend. Felt twitchy and not too linear in power delivery. Too much understeer, as usual too.

Had a good two hour test drive in an Evo 8 FQ-300 last summer, so expecting big things from the MR FQ-340.
Old 05 August 2004, 11:13 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

I am currently running in my new 340 having gone from a P1. No idea how fast it is yet, but I love the steering and the brakes in comparison with the P1. It's also a very easy drive when pootling about (as I have been). I'll let you know once I can get the power on!

Graham
Old 05 August 2004, 11:42 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Standard leather trim on mine makes the cabin more upmarket than the Sti
Sorry dude, but leather seats dont make up for a truely appaling interior for a car costing that much. There is no way its more upmarket than an STI!!!! You cant polish a turd and all that

The heater controls feel like plastic coke bottle lids, the dash is pure plastic, the dials look sh1te...... the door mouldings look like they came out of an 80's Hyundai (i should know my mum had one ).....

Gotta be the worst interior £ for £ on the market????

Jza
Old 05 August 2004, 11:57 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Sorry but I drove the MR340 and was very unimpressed, the power was nothing special and it felt as though you were sitting on the car rather than in it.....so a Type 25 is on its way now.

Mog
Old 06 August 2004, 12:13 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

I had an 8 FQ300 out for about 45 minutes, on back roads and motorway. It didn't feel as quick as my 03 WRX PPP because I missed the kick-in-the-back power delivery. On the motorway it was quite deceptive, 100 felt normal, anything less was slow. The interior was low rent, and for a quick car the dials are too difficult to read, especially the speedo.
Old 06 August 2004, 09:50 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

I have an MR FQ320, which has 1600 miles on the clock. I also found the throttle hard to control when I first had it...it's because it's all electronic, but I'm used to that now...however I'm not used to the power (with decat), it is truly awe inspiring...driven an amazing Sti Type RA jobby (with roof vent), when my brother had one, and this evo just feels miles more composed than that.
Old 06 August 2004, 12:53 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kyl3cook
I have an MR FQ320, which has 1600 miles on the clock. I also found the throttle hard to control when I first had it...it's because it's all electronic, but I'm used to that now...however I'm not used to the power (with decat), it is truly awe inspiring...driven an amazing Sti Type RA jobby (with roof vent), when my brother had one, and this evo just feels miles more composed than that.
This is exactly what I'm hoping for from the FQ-340.
Old 06 August 2004, 03:38 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Can't beleve this, the dealers just phoned and given me the "there was a break in last night and the FQ340's been damaged. You can test drive a 300 instead if you want"
What a Pi$$er.
Maybe I'll try a differant dealer.
Old 06 August 2004, 04:36 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Can't beleve this, the dealers just phoned and given me the "there was a break in last night and the FQ340's been damaged. You can test drive a 300 instead if you want"
What a Pi$$er.
Maybe I'll try a differant dealer.
Blimey mate. This is interesting - which dealer?

They just phoned me and said that the car was 'poorly', and that it would be next week before the thing would be available... South Yorkshire, by any chance?

Awaiting call from other local dealer.....
Old 06 August 2004, 04:42 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Dealers in Manchester,

Don't want to name names if you know what I mean.

Maybe they can't stand the heat and are dropping like flys!

Seemed funny to me that he's only phoned me the afternoon seeing the break in happened last night.
Old 06 August 2004, 04:46 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

MattW Interesting to hear your comments. i thought EVO drivers would come out in defence. I am trying a FQ340 on Saturday so I hope that's better. I had a limited time slot to drive the EVO so I couldn't or they wouldn't let me keep it overnight which would have been better.
I think though that you get a pretty good feel for a car in the first 15 mins, I don't mean you know the thing inside out but you have a good idea for the car.
I find your comment that an EVO would "anhialate" an STi PPP a bit exaggerated. The FQ320 on paper should have more power than the STi PPP but on yesterdays drive it doesn't "feel" as powerful and on the same stretch of road and doesn't pull as hard.
M8 there's nothing in it on the road... I've had a few run ins with Fq300's 8's and they go nowhere from the lights... or once moveing against my STi PPP literaly side by side. also my buddy had a & Fq300 and that was the same and if anything its should have been quicker than the 8... I've a few vids with the Fq300 against My standard Sti... nothing in it..
So unless your talking moded FQ then to anhialate it it rubbish... it may be a little faster around a track but thats if you can drive and the suspension's much firmer... wich equates to the 1 second difference!

I went for a test in 330 last month and in all honesty it didn't feel any quicker than my STi...
Old 06 August 2004, 04:50 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Dealers in Manchester,

Don't want to name names if you know what I mean.

Maybe they can't stand the heat and are dropping like flys!

Seemed funny to me that he's only phoned me the afternoon seeing the break in happened last night.
K - so that's Manchester gone, Sheffield poorly.....

Just got a drive booked in a 260 in Leeds.....
Old 06 August 2004, 06:01 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

Another EVO v Scoob thread.........iv had a STI7PPP with load of suspension mods,and a out of the box the FQ300 is about 315hp/305lbs,so more power to start with,the MR320 is around 335hp/310lbs,and im afraid to say all you scoob owners,out of the box no UK scoob would handle anywhwere as good as a EVO,and as for power just de-cat a MR340(which costs £50,no remaps or nothing)and your up near 360hp as standard the 340 is 346hp,346hp is what a decatted MR320 would be so a car with 40hp more is bound to be slightly quicker,evos can be taken to 380 for not a lot of money,the power delivery is so much different to a scoob,b4 my sti was PPPd the turbo didnt spool up till 4000-4500rpm,my FQ is at most 3000! and keeps delivering till the red line and then your doing silly speeds,hardly any understeer if any!,and AYC means your can rocket out of a corner,brilliant cars EVOs and would not change back...like the saying goes...scoobs are boys cars....EVOs are mens cars...LOL
Old 06 August 2004, 09:14 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Pity the EVO i drove like a Realant Robin LOL.
I read in Top Gear Mag the other week about all the Evo's they had on test started to have fueling problems and large clouds of smoke eminating from the exhaust when started.
There is some worry over the long term realability for the Mitsi engine which is running over the 300 bhp mark.
Not my words but Top Gears, food for thought.
Old 06 August 2004, 09:38 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

To be fair, there are plenty of questions over the long term reliability of the scooby engine too. Just ask one of the many, many people who have had big-end bearing failures - like me.
Old 08 August 2004, 12:35 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Pity the EVO i drove like a Realant Robin LOL.
I read in Top Gear Mag the other week about all the Evo's they had on test started to have fueling problems and large clouds of smoke eminating from the exhaust when started.
There is some worry over the long term realability for the Mitsi engine which is running over the 300 bhp mark.
Not my words but Top Gears, food for thought.
Thats pretty funny coming from the Scooby camp, "Home of the chocolate internals" Slight over fuelling as the car is booted from low revs is a lot safer than running lean..... How the f**k do top gear know if the engine is reliable or not, if it is a general comment aimed 2lt 300bhp rally reps in general then they may have a point, seemed a strange thing to say IMHO very subjective rather than objective, besides thats what warranties are for!

Oh yes I spent not a tiny amount on engine rebuilds (big end on no 3 as usual) trying to run 315 bhp on an STI2 before I got the bugeye sti with PPP I believe new age and on are stronger though.
Old 08 August 2004, 06:27 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

All EVOs are factory set to run slightly rich,thats why a decat and downpipe can be fitted easily as the boost is upped,but there is enough safety built in,the mitsi engine is very reliable and can run 400hp on standard internals,although 380 is run a lot safer...
Old 09 August 2004, 09:54 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nellie
Another EVO v Scoob thread.........iv had a STI7PPP with load of suspension mods,and a out of the box the FQ300 is about 315hp/305lbs,so more power to start with,the MR320 is around 335hp/310lbs,and im afraid to say all you scoob owners,out of the box no UK scoob would handle anywhwere as good as a EVO,and as for power just de-cat a MR340(which costs £50,no remaps or nothing)and your up near 360hp as standard the 340 is 346hp,346hp is what a decatted MR320 would be so a car with 40hp more is bound to be slightly quicker,evos can be taken to 380 for not a lot of money,the power delivery is so much different to a scoob,b4 my sti was PPPd the turbo didnt spool up till 4000-4500rpm,my FQ is at most 3000! and keeps delivering till the red line and then your doing silly speeds,hardly any understeer if any!,and AYC means your can rocket out of a corner,brilliant cars EVOs and would not change back...like the saying goes...scoobs are boys cars....EVOs are mens cars...LOL
Uh!

The turbi didn't spool up until 400-4500k.... Eh... you should have had it fix then...
MY03 STi PPP come in at 2700 thats it! no problem... and unless your talking a 330 its as quick as a 300 easy...
And again to put it to rest, i'll ru it alongside a new 8 FQ300 this week for comparison.. it was bang level with a 7... Fancy a MR though to be honest...MMMM but saying that a T25 is my first port of call...
FAR sale MY03 STi PPP 18" OZ

Quick Reply: EVO VIII FQ320 Test Drive