36.73%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Nissan 350z or Renault Clio V6 255 ?

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2004, 07:25 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nissan 350z or Renault Clio V6 255 ?

OK, after this long thread...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=328194

...I've (finally !) narrowed my choice down to two cars, the Nissan 350z, or the Renault Clio V6 255 (Mark 2)

For those in the know, the 350z would have thr GT pack and Rays alloys, whereas the Clio V6 would be standard.

I'd just be interested what everyone would go for. I'm 80 % sure what I'm gonna go for, but am just interested in what Scoobynetters think.

Regards,

Matt

Last edited by Terzo 333; 31 July 2004 at 07:27 PM.
Old 31 July 2004, 07:41 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

depends, straight line speed i reckon 350z, especially towards the top end. Not sure 100%. But i would lean towards the 350z.
Old 31 July 2004, 07:55 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Also depends on whether you like getting attention. There aren't many cars that catch your eye like a V6 255. They really are amazing looking in the flesh.
Old 31 July 2004, 08:10 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have to be the 350Z for me, everytime i see one i'm amazed on the presence they have on the road, only ever seen one Clio V6 and that also looked good but looks just too Max Power for me.
Old 31 July 2004, 08:19 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Clio dude, no question.

cem
Old 31 July 2004, 08:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Clio, it so special looking, the Nissan is nice but the Clio just looks so different.
Old 31 July 2004, 08:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

both cak compared ta classic scoob ...imo cors ...
Old 31 July 2004, 09:05 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blow Dog
Clio dude, no question.

cem
He's right you know
Old 31 July 2004, 10:54 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

test drove a 350z same day as the wr1 and really enjoyed it. got plenty of looks / turned heads. only 500 came in last year and 800 coming in this year....but thats without the imports

no major mods as such readily available but their is at least 1 supercharger upgrade being worked on I believe
Old 01 August 2004, 09:25 AM
pearcey555
Scooby Newbie

It's a tough one...

Have to agree with the comments above on the Clio... very few and far between (not that the 350z is common). Not sure how practical it is as a day to day car though.

Personally i'd go for the 350z... not sure why tho

Pearcey
Old 01 August 2004, 09:57 AM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

If I was ruled by my head the Nissan would be the winner, but my heart woudl say get the clio

Yes the 350 will get looks, but the clio will get more. Ok to the people who don't know about cars in the clio you might just look like a chav in a done up 1.2 (especially when they look inside, christ why couldn't they have made that interior more special) but to those who know you would get an appreciative nod

On the face of things you'd say a good jap coupe would hold its value better than a french small hatch, but the V6 is special and they are rare so I guess time will tell.

Whichever you buy, money is going to the same person (pretty much)
Old 01 August 2004, 12:16 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

French against Japanse??? No contest, I put my engineering hat on everytime, and I know who I trust, and its not the frogs.

Granted, the V6 looks nice and unusual, but the 350Z is class, and thats rare for a Jap car. So nice to sit in. Probably a bit less of a driving experience than the V6 but there are many toys coming out for the 350Z...

People will also laugh when you tell them your clio cost 20k

MB
Old 01 August 2004, 12:20 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
French against Japanse??? No contest, I put my engineering hat on everytime, and I know who I trust, and its not the frogs.
So is it the French or the Japanese manufacturers who are ahead in the WRC then? And in F1 as well for that matter
Old 01 August 2004, 12:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive owned 7 french cars (3 renaults and 4 peugeots) and 2 japanese cars (and a ford but thats another story )
Out of the above, the worst was definately the renault, the best was the subaru (and im not talking just build quality, im talking customer care, servicing etc, just how do you leave a sump plug unscrewed? )
The nissan gets my vote

Tony
Old 01 August 2004, 12:30 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Daz, if they genuinely input much of the F1 / WRC concepts on their road cars, I would be very surprised. They do like to use it in plugging in their marketing though

Do they sell a 4wd turbo Xsara?

Tony - nothing like raw experience to put you off the frogs Some are good though, but all plagued by niggly problems...

MB
Old 01 August 2004, 04:06 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Fair enough the frog build quality is sh!te but if it were my money I’d spend it on something that turned heads (even if it is with the bonnet up in the hard shoulder). The Nissan is just SOOOOOOO!!!! Boring and screams mid life crisis.
Old 01 August 2004, 04:27 PM
Scuba
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was actually going to get a 350Z but thought the insurence was steep being only 20...

anyway 350Z beats the clio in ways:
Insider info that HKS have big plans for hooge range of goodies as will Blitz no doubt, The size, presence and especially that space age interior, Also isn't it the sister car to that so-called R35 in japan

But the Clio is a good car for sure (apart from that clumsy interior)..
Old 01 August 2004, 04:57 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Tough one.. Clio is mental, and if you want presence and attention on the road you'll get it for sure with that. I have seen a few about. And everyone (including myself) just stares at it, they sound good too. I have read and heard from a few sources (motoring hacks) that the clio build quality is actually very good in the 255 even Clarkeson! But as someone already mentioned the service from Renault dealers seems to be rubbish, my old dear has a clio and I deal with her dealers and they're a bunch of clowns, and they try and get out of all responsibilities if anything goes wrong. Plus my old dears is rattling and squeaking after 8k miles! And another draw back as mentioned whilst most things in the 255 dont' bare much relation to the standard one, they left in the terrible plastic interior!

350 on the other hand is a class package, it's very well designed, it looks slick, chunky and solid, but it's quite subtle, it's not a big head turner like the clio but it's still quite special in it's own way just doesn't scream it. The interior is lovely and they make a nice boomy V6 noise. From what I've read very good chassis and enough poke as standard to have fun. I think Nissan hit the nail right on the head with this one, it's got everything you need for that kind of car, and they're not that pricey either. Just reading a small article on these today in Evo (09.04) here's a quick quote "Forget any notion of a japanese screamer; it's more like a slightly slower, more civilised TVR." But like a few have mentioned you'll probably end up wanting for from aftermarket bits. Can't help feeling the Nissan will be easier, and better to live with it's a production car not a one off and it's got all the bits and bobs you'd expect from a high end car, I reckon the clio is made of bits and bobs left over in the motorsport department!

Does anyone know the servicing costs for the Clio, I bet it is more expensive?

Both good cars in different ways, be interested to know which way you go, well done for getting it down to two though, lots of choice for that money!

Last edited by mynickers; 01 August 2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01 August 2004, 10:09 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for the interesting replies - I am still undecided

I'm surprised the 350z is winning the poll buy so many, yet theres so many positive comments about the Clio.

I've test driven both, and as people say, the interior of the Clio lets it down sooo badly compared with a Nissan. However, I took it out for only ten minutes and the attention it recieved whilst driving it was brilliant ! (Not that I have an attention seeking disorder )

Both cars have so many good points - that whats making it hard to choose...

Keep the thoughts coming...
Old 01 August 2004, 11:11 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

I suppose so, who is it that owns most of Nissan again?

And who is it in return for Renault reviving the company from deaths door helped improve their manifacturing processes?
Old 01 August 2004, 11:20 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

350z for me one of the best cars ever built for me , for handling and power with no turbo

i would fit some nice kw suspension and a gt3540 and a few other mods and rock and kick supra;s asses
Old 01 August 2004, 11:29 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

R19, I studied manufacturing management and no matter who owns who, the Japs are simply untouchable in terms of quality. The way they work with their keiretsu style company structure (which is pretty specific to their culture) means that most of the fundamentals wont work anywhere but Japan. Their suppliers are almost entwined with the parent company, and they build in quality to all their subsidaries.

The French can't build a quality car in the same way, full stop. I studied the Rover plant (or how it was several years ago) and it was appalling and plain to see why the quality was crap. As an engineer, I wont buy anything that's not Jap unless I can see a good reason to. I used to include German in that statement, but they've lost their way a little it would seem, esp VW. Mainly for using the Spanish to build their cars

Just my personal thoughts...

MB
Old 02 August 2004, 09:09 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Objectivity aside....

The Clio is an instant classic

The 350Z will be just another decent jap performance coupe a la 300zx and 200zx.

Dont be too put off on Renault horror stories - nearing 20k on my Clio Cup now without mishap.
Old 02 August 2004, 10:14 AM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Ive commented before on the negatives of the V6, however, after having a "blat" with a 350Z in the beemer and watching the Nissan wallow and roll over the fast sweeping sections of the A5 , id go for the Clio, and enjoy the attention....

I also think the Nissan looks ugly from some angles

I think the V6 will end up as a classic, like the old gordini's,and as wilf noted the 350 will be another jap coupe, with the same level of depreciation ...

Last edited by brybusa; 02 August 2004 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02 August 2004, 10:29 AM
QuattroMNC
Scooby Regular

just a note for those that are debating the jap vs french manufacturers reliability, the 2.7 v6 in the 350 is just a sligty modified version of the 2.5 v6 in the renault velsatis(that massivley ugly thing). so either way you've got french mate!!!
Old 02 August 2004, 10:39 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Its the bits hanging off the engine that worry me

MB
Old 02 August 2004, 11:05 AM
QuattroMNC
Scooby Regular

If you want power+comfort+style+reliability+handling why don't you consider some not so brand new cars from germany (ok may be a slightly biased opinion but well worth thinking about) 2000/01 M3 youll get one for around 25k form a dealer with FSH+Warranty, although you might see one often or think it's not as "special" as the 350 or the v6, go for a test drive you've nothing to lose.

If your buying with tax reasons in mind then just ignore this.
Old 02 August 2004, 11:48 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

I have a 350Z and I love it

I haven't driven the Clio V6 255, so I can't give a comparison.
I would guess that the Clio is more of a raw drivers car though, but that's only a guess. Not that the 350Z isn't rewarding to drive, because it is

Regarding styling, well that's up to you.
Personally I think it's a choice between a sports car, that was designed as a sports car, or a very sooped up hatchback.
Old 02 August 2004, 02:42 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want. I'd be easier to live day-to-day with the 350Z, but my heart would be saying "you should have bought the Clio"...

The Clio is either a boy racer's wet dream, or a supercar for cheap money depending which school of thought you follow. Similarly, the 350z is either a purpose built sports coupe or a derivative coupe.

Renault is now owned by Nissan, isn't it?

I see a Clio v6 in Leeds fairly often, and always have to look. It's illegal not to.
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 02 August 2004, 03:23 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Daz, if they genuinely input much of the F1 / WRC concepts on their road cars, I would be very surprised. They do like to use it in plugging in their marketing though

Do they sell a 4wd turbo Xsara?
LOL good point. Driver helps too!

Quick Reply: Nissan 350z or Renault Clio V6 255 ?