Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Clio 182 cup pack going back - another one, or megane 225?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2004, 10:42 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clio 182 cup pack going back - another one, or megane 225?

My mum has had a clio 182 with cup suspension since April, and likes it a lot. It's like a bleedin go-kart, and worries scoobs regularly .

However, the paintwork was, to be blunt, ****e.

She had it in black/gold (which is black with a gold undercoat and looks stunning when its good), and all you could see was swirl marks in it. The garage pointed out the fault when it was collected, and said that they would either sort it out or reject it. With the dark anthracite wheels, it would look the d's bs if the paint wasn't so shockingly bad!

Well, after three months of attempting to fix it, from polishing to a partial respray, and the car looks worse than ever. It's now got a bloom on it permanently which looks like polish under the laquer. It looks a mess because Renault tried to fix it on the cheap rather than do it properly the first time . And my mum has had a diesel laguna in the meantime, too. Surprisingly, she's not hated this completely, and quite liked the relaxed ride...

There's been repeated problems with the o2 sensor too, meaning the car has run like a bag of spanners from time to time.

Renault UK have finally agreed to replace the car.

Kudos to the garage for battling with Renault, and to renault for finally agreeing to replace the car!

My mum can now choose a different car if she wants, and is tempted by the Megane 225 to give her a bit more comfort and a bit more power, but will she regret this? I reckon that she might... She's only thinking about it because Renault themselves mentioned it - she'd be happy with a relacement 182 cup with good paintwork

Any advice from Megane 225 owners, or Clio owners - especially people who have got black paintwork that looks good?

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 30 July 2004, 10:56 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Considering my last two cars were a Renault and a Peugeot my advice would be to buy another car that isn't french.

Personally I would never buy a french car ever again as the build quality on both was shockingly bad.

As for swirl marks, I think black is the worst colour for this hence why all my cars are silver.
Old 30 July 2004, 11:05 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Buy another 182 but in another colour. Or, ask for opinions here:

http://forum.cliosport.net/
Old 30 July 2004, 11:09 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately getting money back is not an option... We've (touch wood) not had a problem with build quality up until now, and this is my mum's 6th Renault in a row.

I take your point about black though, it shows up everything. Unfortunately, it showed up that the paint was very badly finished. I think one paint tech thought that the original swirls were actually scratches below the laquer that no-one could do anything about.

The colours on the 185 are limited, too: blue, silver, black .

However, just seen that there's a bloody bright metallic yellow... Seeing as her last two cars (megane and megane cabrio) have been yellow, perhaps that'll be the one?
Old 30 July 2004, 11:14 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

The yellow is stunning, but the non-metallic blue looks proper bo! Get her to have the stripes too!!!

The metallic blue looks too much like the Cup - which is what I've got, so people may think she's got a lesser car until they see the tailpipes....
Old 30 July 2004, 11:17 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Renault are now offering a megane 225 demonstrator with 5k miles on it in orange... Hmm, that's a lot for a demonstrator, and the one that's been around all the magazines was orange...

...so that will have had an easy life then! Although it might not be anything to do with the press, admittedly

She's off for a test drive.

Last edited by chiark; 30 July 2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 30 July 2004, 11:21 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Can I just say that the 182 has got rave reviews from the press and people who drive them. You cannot get a faster/safer/economical car for your money - brand new.

The Megane has been given mixed reviews by the press and is disappointing.

I know which one I'd have, but it's not up to me and I'm biased anyway. The 182 is an excellent car, OK it has it's quality issues, but the Megane won't be any better!

And ORANGE, purlease...... Seriously, I've seen it and I suppose it's not too bad. Yellow 182, wicked!
Old 30 July 2004, 11:25 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The yellow paint is, get this, a 1400 quid option

Looks nice tho

I know which I'd have too - I'd have a 182 cup in black, and tell renault to 'kin sort the paint quality out this time. It really did look mean with the anthracite wheels, providing you didn't look too closely, or see it when the sun was shining on it, or anything like that .
Old 30 July 2004, 11:43 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

When cars get rejected, what happens to them? Do the dealers put it on the forecourt and try and sell it 2nd hand or do they actually sort it out or write it off etc?
Old 30 July 2004, 11:44 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It's going to Renault2Go - approved used renaults.
Old 30 July 2004, 11:50 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

My first Cup was a Renault2Go car. Think my new one which is not is actually a better car. Less rattles, doors close better etc. Still has whistling mirrors which is a pain in the *** if you drive with your window open!

I don't envy the poor sod who ends up with your Mum's old car. Knowing the level of customer service I got when my first cup came without the front splitter, they will never sort it out! I'm still waiting for the splitter and the car's been written off!
Old 30 July 2004, 12:10 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

There's only two faults: crap paint, which will cost a shedload to fix apparently (well into multiple thousands!) and the recurrant o2 sensor (I think it's had three so far)
Old 30 July 2004, 12:13 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

The 225 Megane is well overpriced..........
Old 30 July 2004, 12:17 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Why the hell are the French so bloody stupid? They make a good car, which could potentially be great. I just find it hard to believe that in this day and age that they can't get it right. Ok, all cars have their faults but they consistently bring out cars with serious faults. Imagine a 182 with Jap reliability, it would make them a fortune. not to say all Jap cars are fault free, but they are streets ahead in therms of engineering standards, and building in quality.

I wont even go into dealer attitude...

Just my rant as I would have liked a 172 but every other owner had a serious fault with them

MB
Old 30 July 2004, 12:19 PM
stu_5
Scooby Regular

All the reviews of the Megane have been warm at best.

I'd stick with the 182.
Old 30 July 2004, 12:28 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'm trying to persuade her to stick with the 182 and cup option...
Old 30 July 2004, 12:38 PM
jas03WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chiark
The yellow paint is, get this, a 1400 quid option

Looks nice tho

I know which I'd have too - I'd have a 182 cup in black, and tell renault to 'kin sort the paint quality out this time. It really did look mean with the anthracite wheels, providing you didn't look too closely, or see it when the sun was shining on it, or anything like that .
Skocking... looks like someone has been sick over it!!!
French cars in Yellow cars Hmmmm... Hairdresser’s colour.

Lambo yellow!? now thats a different story

Agree with the black one tho... looks alot better.
Old 30 July 2004, 12:49 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Can you not ask for the car and a compensation to sort out the paint on your own? Must be a few top class sprayers that would do a faultless job, and you get to pick a color
Old 30 July 2004, 01:32 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Racing Blue is a fantastic colour for the new Clio 182.
Old 30 July 2004, 02:06 PM
matlow
Scooby Regular

i've got the black/gold 182 with cup pack. my last car was black and i promised myself i wouldnt have another because of the hassle keeping it clean. as you can see i couldnt help myself . when it is clean (which lasts about half an hour its the dogs danglies.

as for VFM, can't beat the 182. i do plan to sell mine as soon as the warranties up as i dont trust the build quality.
Old 30 July 2004, 02:53 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Bugger.

She likes the Megane a lot.

Re: can we get a discount and fix it ourselves - it seems the answer is "no", and besides, it was an independent highly rated bodyshop who did the part respray / remedial work for renault which cost well over a grand. They've knackered it IMHO.
Old 30 July 2004, 03:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its typical french build quality
The best built french car i owned was a Pug 306 GTi-6, that only had a minor squeak from the drivers seat, my second renault 19 which was a 16v (brand new) had a rattling sunroof, i did see if they could fix it, it worked out that they all did this and the only way to stop the noise was to either shove some paper inbetween the gap in the roof but then again they also were the worst at telling porkies when it came to the fact they hadnt tightened up the sump plug and id lost about a litre of oil straight after a service they blamed that on a duff washer (id found the damn thing loose when reaching under the car after seeing a puddle of oil on the drive! )
Bad customer care from a company who just want your cash

Tony

PS i should state ive owned 7 french cars, 4 pugs and 3 renaults.
Old 30 July 2004, 03:34 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I've heard so much bad feedback on built quality for Clio's, but my old dear has one too, not a sporty one, just standard, but there is no problems with it after two years, although it has done very low millage 7/8k odd. The only problem we had was the seat got bobbles all over it, after 8 months, and 4k miles, the dealer wouldn't replace it, said it was the clothes my mum wore (hmm yeah M&S dresses really do mess up upholstery dont' they) so we had to write to Renault UK, eventually we got it replaced, but now 6 months on it's bobbled again! Ontop of that the interior squeeks and rattles like mad, considering what low millage it's done, quite disspointing. Generally though, nothing has gone wrong, it just sounds like it's falling apart. But for £6k you can't expect £10k build quality!

Just make sure you don't get one that is built on a friday, check the day it was signed off. I am pretty sure most cars that have loads of problems were sent out of factories on a Friday, everyone trying to get finished quick so they can get down the pub, sure we all do it in our own places of work

I personally have been put off hot hatches in general, they're designed to go fast, but not built too, non of them fare that well under punishment bar a few Jap tanks! Over generalisation - but hey it's friday

Last edited by mynickers; 30 July 2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 30 July 2004, 04:06 PM
matlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mynickers
, non of them fare that well under punishment bar a few Jap tanks! Over generalisation - but hey it's friday
i did hear that french tanks had 6 reverse gears...................................oh and the horn made a "I surrender noise".
Old 30 July 2004, 04:15 PM
jas03WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matlow
i did hear that french tanks had 6 reverse gears...................................oh and the horn made a "I surrender noise".
Nah... those tanks were Italian!!
Old 30 July 2004, 04:18 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jas03WRX
Nah... those tanks were Italian!!
Joint partnership no doubt, dunno what that says about the Eurojet though.. Oh dear havent we come off topic

Get a clio, 255 got a big ****!
Old 30 July 2004, 04:33 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Loved my 172 to bits but it did have some major build issues. Can’t really see the French putting up with poor build quality as they’re write moaning bar stewards, they’d be have thousands of car’s coming back all the time. What I recon it is, is the **** heads that work on the production line purposely **** the cars up because they know most of them are coming to the UK.
Old 30 July 2004, 04:35 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Tim,

The fact that the steering wheel is on the other side might give 'em a clue that they're off to the UK...

Megane is sounding more likely now - insurance company want an extra 21 quid to change from the Clio to Megane. oh the joys of being old!
Old 30 July 2004, 04:44 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I like the yellow
Old 30 July 2004, 04:45 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chiark
Tim,

The fact that the steering wheel is on the other side might give 'em a clue that they're off to the UK...
Mmmmm??? thats what i was getting at

Quick Reply: Clio 182 cup pack going back - another one, or megane 225?