Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Legacy turbo / Legacy quad cam 2.5?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2004, 08:57 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Legacy turbo / Legacy quad cam 2.5?

How do these compare?
I'm still thinking about a Leg turbo - although I'm not buying one immediately.
Anyway, I stopped off at a garage on the road north from Perth just today - the one with the scooby garage attached, and I was looking at a quad-cam legacy. I'd forgotten about these until then, as I was set on a turbo...

Anyone had one?

Any good?

I know they're slightly slower than the turbo, but are they better/worse etc?
I might be comparing two different ages of cars, but they're similar prices these days, so I don't mind too much. Both can be had for around the 2-3 grand mark anyway.
Ta!
C.
Old 19 June 2004, 09:13 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Chalk and cheese IMHO. Trouble is running costs if you are unlucky at this age, and even the wear and tear bits aren't cheap. However:-

The Legacy Turbo was one of the best cars I owned in '95. An Impreza with a stiffer body and more refined/comfortable. Got tappety at 80k like many do.

The 2.5 - quad cam version has some cylinder head gasket problems which are a pig (according to the Subaru dealer I used to use). They changed it to a twin cam with the later 165bhp 2.5 which I owned. This was a very refined, relaxed cruiser but softer than the turbo. Great in snow - 8 inches of snow in the Aonach Mor car park and it stopped started on allowed me to mess around with ages !

Depends what you want and the bits you can afford to replace. If you CAN find a relly well looked after turbo, I'd take that.
Old 20 June 2004, 01:54 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

The 2.5 would be better in the low down torque department possibly

but there is nothing beats the grin factor of a leggy turbo estate as you overtake those EXSPENSIVE cars
Old 20 June 2004, 06:44 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Flat 4x4
Great in snow - 8 inches of snow in the Aonach Mor car park and it stopped started on allowed me to mess around with ages!
My old impreza GL was good for that as well. wasn't that quick though..

I might just have a look around though. Perhaps the best thing'd be to drive both, and then think about it. If it doesn't have a turbo, you don't have to get another one when it breaks That said, if the 2.5's prone to head gasket problems, might be better with the turbo.
Tbh, there's likely to be problems of some kind with any car at that price, so I should probably either just go for it and pray that it doesn't brake, or save up more, to get a better /newer one
I'll have a look around...
Old 21 June 2004, 12:05 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Legacy Turbos are good fun especially estates when you fly by hot hatches etc. Running costs can be quite high and I had a real nightmare with my one...had to spend a lot of cash to get it right. Best to get one from an enthusiast. Before you ask...yes, it did have a full Subaru service history.
Old 21 June 2004, 12:15 AM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Get a Turbo, i've just got one and i love it, its the first scoob i've had and its the best car i've ever owned!

You've got the power of an Impreza and the stealth of the legacy, most people think its a Rover! If you like performance and not to fussed about boy racer appeal then its the one to go for. The look on peoples faces is cool when you lose them! Plus the fact that most of the running gear is the same as Classic Impreza's, my mate has one with full Sti Type Ra running gear, and boy does that go like the proverbial of a shovel!

I say Turbo, but i would do as i'm biased!

Comper100
Old 22 June 2004, 10:21 AM
magnet
Scooby Regular

I love my leggy turbo!

Wouldnt it be funny to stick some rover badges on one?
Old 22 June 2004, 07:35 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

... which is the same sort of twisted thinking that has brought me from the Legacies via Audis and Imprezas to the Octavia 4x4 with ECU 'tweak' Surprisingly similar but softer.
Old 22 June 2004, 08:48 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I had a Legacy Turbo saloon and loved it. To be honest preferred it to my current Impreza in many areas. Blinding car. yes the engines to get tappetty but seem very very strong like some sort of victorian machine they are a bit agricultural but very beefy.

Build quality was excellent and a real q car and very quick once going. Felt quicker once going than my Impreza but initake take off of the Impreza is quicker due the the weight.

Very few problems apart from needed a new clutch and coil pack failed in 3 years.

AllanB
Old 22 June 2004, 08:55 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Just me being picky, but why is this in the "other marques: non subaru" vehicles section???
Old 23 June 2004, 12:21 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

That's true you know...but saying that Legacy is not what most people think of when they mention scooby related issues they think of and Impreza.
Old 23 June 2004, 09:14 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Aaquil
That's true you know...but saying that Legacy is not what most people think of when they mention scooby related issues they think of and Impreza.
I know.
I thought about that when I put it in, but as has happened once or twice, it turns into all kinds of **** about whether a leggy turbo/quad cam/sport/gl/whatever is a 'real' scooby etc etc....
and I put it in here anyway, just so it didn't happen

In my opinion, of course, anything that bears the starred badge (or the other one with the split 'rod' thing on it) deserves to be on here. Except perhaps that tiny subaru van that's similar to the suzuki one (but only until someone makes a fast 'un)

I bet that Justy from the film 'Cannonball Run' would go down well
Old 23 June 2004, 09:30 AM
TheLegacy
Scooby Newbie

I have currently got a 2.5 quad cam (1998) and its my first venture into the land of Scooby , ya kinda feel outnumbered and outpowered by the Imprezza's !!!!
As a car I love it !! I do feel it is lacking a wee bit of power tho , but thats just my humble opinion !!