Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

wots an ultima gtr

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2004, 11:45 PM
steppers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wots an ultima gtr

an ultima gtr pulled out infront of me today and i thought "God is that one ugly car"
sounded good and wondered what its performance was like
He, looking in his space age mirrors that seem to sit 4 feet taller than the car
was obviously thinking i'll leave him for dust and tried for a short burst of acceleration.
However me jolly ole sti8 ppp was right there
anyone heard of em
steppers
Old 21 May 2004, 11:48 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Ever heard of a search engine such as google?

http://www.ultimacars.com/
Old 21 May 2004, 11:54 PM
steppers
Scooby Regular

thanks mate never thought of that.
still looks bloody awful from the back
Old 22 May 2004, 12:01 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

One went past us round Dono as I was being passengered in a Westfield. It came out of Craner making us look like we were stood still

Mind you, it had a huge V8 lump in it as I think it was their demo car and driven by one of their people. Sounded sooooo sweet
Old 22 May 2004, 12:04 AM
ChrisB

Maybe it had a 1.3 Mini engine in it for a STI PPP to keep up?
Old 22 May 2004, 12:07 AM
steppers
Scooby Regular

i aint ever heard a mini engine sound like a V8
perhaps he kne he could p*** all over me and didnt want to embarass me
Old 22 May 2004, 12:07 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Chris Maybe he was just tapping his foot to some music (obviously a personal stereo )

Trending Topics

Old 22 May 2004, 01:00 AM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steppers
an ultima gtr pulled out infront of me today and i thought "God is that one ugly car"
sounded good and wondered what its performance was like
He, looking in his space age mirrors that seem to sit 4 feet taller than the car
was obviously thinking i'll leave him for dust and tried for a short burst of acceleration.
However me jolly ole sti8 ppp was right there
anyone heard of em
steppers
The guy who fixed my scoob took an Ultima for a test on his "private" test route. My scoob went round the first corner at about 90 - with me in the passenger side - very scared. The ultima apparently did the same corner at 155!!
Old 22 May 2004, 09:46 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

whatis it?
road legal groupC racer

also about 45K if you build it yourself!
by god I'd love to recreate the journey EVO did down to LeMans in it..
Old 22 May 2004, 09:52 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

MMMMMMMMM Ultima GTR. Saw one at Stonleigh. something crazy like 600bhp, but around 4mpg
Old 22 May 2004, 09:58 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chrome
whatis it?
road legal groupC racer

also about 45K if you build it yourself!
by god I'd love to recreate the journey EVO did down to LeMans in it..
without engine/box as far as i can see
Old 22 May 2004, 10:01 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

45k self build WITHOUT engine/box?.. sure?

/goes to dig out EVO.. oooh the car ****...
Old 22 May 2004, 12:22 PM
paulo72
Scooby Newbie

I haven't posted to scoobynet in a good couple of years, but someone sent me a link to this and I just couldn't help myself.

I own an Ultima GTR, and I can confirm that the driver did not try to leave you for dust, or he would have done.

Basic physics I'm afraid. When building an Ultima GTR you have a choice of engines from 350bhp standard crate small block chevy V8 (5.7 litre), up to 650bhp for a supercharged and stroked small block (6.3litre)

The car weighs in at 950kg, so even with 350bhp it will leave your 300bhp (being generous) 1300kg (also generous) STI8 for dust.

I also own a scoob. From a standstill the scoob is much easier to get away up to say 10/20mph. Just dial in 4000rpm and drop the clutch. The relatively low power and four wheel drive means that you just take off. My Ultima has 545 bhp, and 540 ft/lbs, any clutch sidestepping would lead to me sitting in a pool of molten rubber. At 700 quid for a pair of rear 335/35R18 boots, that isn't very appealing. So I tend to use caution in the initial take-off. But bear in mind that even with this modest take-off I'll be at 100mph in around 8 seconds. How quick will your STI 8 be after 8 seconds?

I live in the country and on my local crappy b road, when clear, I can probably make faster progress in my scoob. The softer suspension and lower power gives me more confidence. In the Ultima I rarely get to use full throttle, and it can be a bit skittish on poor road surfaces. That said a driver with more skill/confidence than me could no doubt trounce a scoob on any surface.

When I do use full throttle it is like engaging warp drive (mr sulu!). Wheelspin is to be had in any of the first four gears at up to 90mph. When overtaking in the scoob I keep my foot planted to the floor for the duration of the overtake (to minimise the time exposed to danger). In the Ultima I often find my self feathering the throttle in overtakes, as after the third car I am probably deep into three figures, which isn't big or clever on an A road.

I have been to Le Mans in it a couple of times, and I can confirm that the Mulsanne straight on the Thursday before the race is quite entertaining. I also have some entertaining video from when I was playing around on the disused Reims circuit.

On one of these Le Mans trips, one of the factory cars gave chase to a Pagani Zonda, which was overtaken at around 180mph. That gives you an idea of the performance (although the interior of a Zonda is obviously far superior).

So to sum up, yes your STI 8 is quite fast, but an Ultima GTR is quicker in most if not all situations (with the right driver).

As for its beauty. IMHO Subaru have never made a pretty car (I bought mine for other reasons). When I park my scoob the only people that look at it are kids with backwards Burberry baseball caps. On the other hand every one stops to look at the Ultima.
Old 22 May 2004, 02:07 PM
JonathanWR1
Scooby Regular

They are two totally different cars and you carnt compare them. You carnt really compare it to a Subaru. If you stripped down a Subaru and put in a massive lump with huge Torque and Horsies then Yes the Ulitima will have to work hard. I hate this ,my car is better than yours etc.
Old 22 May 2004, 04:02 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

I think I know the chap who beat the zonda, iirc his ultima won car of the show at le mans...(big *** blue one)
Old 22 May 2004, 04:47 PM
paulo72
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JonathanWR1
They are two totally different cars and you carnt compare them. You carnt really compare it to a Subaru. If you stripped down a Subaru and put in a massive lump with huge Torque and Horsies then Yes the Ulitima will have to work hard. I hate this ,my car is better than yours etc.
I agree, just pointing out that the first post was a load of bunkum, and probably fit only for the muppets forum. If I didn't like my scoob I wouldn't keep it. Reality is, I can jump in my scoob and drive to the shops without putting in earplugs and faffing about with a six point harness. But don't try and tell me that an STI 8 is faster, because I will laugh.
Old 22 May 2004, 05:08 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

<homer> mmmm Ultima </big yellow dude>
Old 22 May 2004, 07:40 PM
JonathanWR1
Scooby Regular

But don't try and tell me that an STI 8 is faster, because I will laugh.
Im not trying to tell you that at all Paulo. All im saying is, its laughable even comparing the two. Of cause your gonna win. But will you win up against a Subaru with your same Power to weight ratio. ? Thats all.
Old 22 May 2004, 10:17 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Jonathan - you find the Scoob with the same P/W ratio as Paulo's Ultima and I'm sure he will oblige you in a race They really are awesome cars. As you say - a whole different league to a Scoob.

Chris
Old 22 May 2004, 11:25 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

we have a gentleman comes down to oulton with one, always with his mate who tracks his GT3.

both are damn quick and leave both my clio cup race car and Impreza stood still.

and whilst both are well driven, there's a hell of a lot more to come out of them, and the Ultima has the edge by a quite considerable margin.

there are also a massive amount of engine options as far as I am aware, from quick to ridiculous
Old 23 May 2004, 10:56 AM
JonathanWR1
Scooby Regular

I dont want to to fight or get in to an argument with this, They are really nice those Ulitmas,dont get me wrong, but there are production cars out there that are wicked as well. Cars which are light weight and have tremendous Torque and Bhp, Built by enhuiasts. I know of a few Subarus and monster Cosworths, All stripped down light weight with huge engines in them. Some Ex rally ones, Their Power to weight balance is just awesome. They are that quick they are only used at show days. Thats all im saying, I dont want to get in to an argument with this.
Old 23 May 2004, 12:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But will you win up against a Subaru with your same Power to weight ratio
For reference with a 5 speed box my 1280kg Subaru with 434 BHP does in the wet (which affects 0-60 nothing else):

0-60: 3.9
0-100: 8.7
0-125: 12.1

So if the Ultima has traction I would be ar$ed. On a real road with average drivers would be very interesting.

Would LOVE to have an Ultima
Old 23 May 2004, 03:36 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Cool

I don't want to state the bloody obvious here, but even with the same power to weight ratio, any car with the same aerodynamics as the Ultima would leave a Scoob at higher speeds. I love my Impreza, but they aren't the most aerodynamic cars in the world. I'd like to see a Scoob do 0-150 in 10.9 seconds...

So, the simple answer is to have one of each !!

Mark.
Old 23 May 2004, 11:44 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

nice info paulo cheers
Old 24 May 2004, 08:52 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

An Ultima with 500hp was in last years Autocar 0-100-0 test. Did 7.2 iirc 0-100. Was slower than the Zonda S to 60, faster to 100. Think 0-60 was 3.7 secs.

Only way to make a Scoob keep up (to a point) is take 400kg off and give it the same power.

Fastest Scoob in the world? Rigoli, 9sec 1/4 @ 148ish? Pure drag car, not used on road, useless at anything else. Using slicks I believe?
One of the quick Ultimas - 9.5 sec 1/4 @ 169mph. Running road tyres. Is a road car, not a drag car.

Awesome awesome cars and the component quality is top notch. As good as most supercars (F40 etc)
Old 24 May 2004, 01:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I followed a couple of Ultimas for a while on the way to Le Mans last year, looked great with awesome sound. You can see them at the start of this video.

http://www.californear.com/video/lemans1.wmv