Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone got or drove a boxster

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2004, 06:07 PM
matieboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got or drove a boxster

just wondering what there like misses has got a 325ci and we fancy something droptop for the summer any opinions please.
Old 09 May 2004, 06:14 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

We had a Boxster S out for a weekend and its a very good car, although you'll get a load of bollox talked about it being a hairdressers motor by people who either haven't driven one or are just jealous of the owner.

Plenty of grip, almost neutral handling and a lot of fun and if anything could take a lot more power but personally I couldn't get past the design, particularly the rear end which doesn't look right to me. The brakes worked well despite my best efforts and when the new one comes out it may (depending on looks) be at the top of the list as a replacement for my wife's car.

The seats felt a little flimsy compared to other cars in its class and the switchgear, which although very solid, didn't do much for me either but if you must - then you must.
Old 09 May 2004, 06:18 PM
matieboy
Scooby Regular

not too sure about the rear end either but she wants an slk trying to talk her into something a little more interesting that i can nick for a bit of rear drive fun.
Old 09 May 2004, 06:21 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

try www.boxa.net

Ive owned 2 now, The last being a 2001 Boxster S Great cars !
Old 09 May 2004, 06:23 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Yep, my wife was interested in the SLK as her friend has one but I managed to steer her in another direction as like you I wanted an alternative plaything at the weekend. The current SLK is a dreadful thing and not to be touched with a very long thing, although I understand the replacement just coming out is far better.

At least I can now go out for a play not worrying about clocking up more miles on my Scoob although I think she was a bit surprised to see 4.5k in just over a month - welcome to the real world I said.

Old 09 May 2004, 07:00 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I drove a boxter s. Felt like you were sat on it rather than in it. Lovely sound to engine, but somehow just didn't feel as quick as it sounded? Would i have one? Your dead right I would, but it would have to be a weekend car! as I feel the scoob just does it a little better for me!!...........................IMHO of course.
dave
Old 09 May 2004, 07:08 PM
matieboy
Scooby Regular

boxster is for the misses some thing i can nick when i feel like it not that i ever get bored of my scoob.She would be the the one driving it every day so not a problem for me.325ci is nice but not something you enjoy driving.
Old 10 May 2004, 02:49 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

Bought a 2.7 new three years ago and have just passed 40k. I can not rate the car highly enough. The engine is fantastic, the handling sublime, the build quality superb and the overall engineering integrity is faultless. The biggest issue is all that social baggage it comes with.

Servicing is expensive but the residuals are strong and if you look after it, it won't show it's age.

There are faster, better equipped and less flashy cars out there but you won't regret it - especially the "S". £9k more when new is a lot of money but the gap narrows when used and makes a lot of sense.
Old 10 May 2004, 04:11 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Had a boxster S 2001 now got an S 2003. Excellent cars great steering, chassis, very adjustable on the throttle, etc

The wife used both for work, the first was a manual which is the best choice for pure driving enjoyment, but the clutch is heavy and this was a pain for her in traffic and she also couldn't drive with her high heels on

The first one did not have PSM and it's not that hard to lose the back end in the wet if your clumsy, a pal took the car for a "spin" and hit the armco backwards going on to the motorway and I had some unwanted pretty leery slides in the wet (as opposed to the ones I intended ). My wife is a great driver and naturally corrects oversteer with no fuss, but even she wanted the next one to have PSM.

The first car also had the 17" wheels which give a fraction more feel and feedback. Ride is surprisingly supple for a sports car.

The second car has the Carrera 18"s on which give a bit more weight to the steering and the car feels a bit less nervous on the limit.Still good ride.

The tiptronic box is 5sp and the car misses the extra ratio droping you a little bit to far down the rev range, it's shifting is a little lazy, too quick to change up and doesn't change down that quick during braking. I drive it in manual mode on the open road, pretty good changes fastest when it hits the redline. The Tips only 90% of the fun of the manual on the open road, but 110% as good in traffic. In point to point speed if you really ragged the manual you would be a little faster, but with kickdown the Tip is still a very quick real world ground coverer.

Driven a normal 2.5 boxster with sports suspension, good car ride a little harsh and I've driven a 2.7 Tip, excellent car but the smaller engine suffers more with the auto box.

Great cars, two boots very handy when you are touring Scotland !

Old 10 May 2004, 05:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Had a play with a Boxter S this morning The old 406 barge kept up remarkably well
Old 10 May 2004, 05:28 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

SB - Obviously an auto

I completely mullered an 03 WRX in a 2.7 Boxster the other day *through the twisties*

Oh and an "S" destroyed my 03 WRX in a straight line .......

Last edited by MadMark; 10 May 2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10 May 2004, 05:46 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It was pulling away no questions but it wasn't destruction and he had his women with him (65kg extra ). Was good fun and this was all in a straight-line obviously!! I'd guess if he'd gone to within 5rpm of the limiter like I did he might have pulled away a little more briskly

Tried to have a go at an MY02 today but he was having none of it and I completely missed 3rd anyway The bugeye scooby is the real test of my 30-100mph acceleration
Old 10 May 2004, 06:00 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

I wondered how long it would be till this thread would degenerate into pseudo-drag racing stories
Its been voted the best roadster money can buy - even the newer Z4 lost to the basic 2.7 - other than image its a great car.

Gastro
Old 10 May 2004, 06:00 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadMark
SB - Obviously an auto

I completely mullered an 03 WRX in a 2.7 Boxster the other day *through the twisties*

Oh and an "S" destroyed my 03 WRX in a straight line .......
iv'e had 2 S's try it on now and have had no problem's at all in my MY98 wrx but i am running abit more power at 276 bhp but they do go very well
Old 10 May 2004, 06:22 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Boxsters are very nice cars...but they just dont seem to be fast enough..maybe a turbo would spice the range up to the requisite standard.
Old 10 May 2004, 06:23 PM
matieboy
Scooby Regular

So my tec3 decated rb5 should have no problems with a 2.5 then.Cant have the misses having a faster car now can i.Would love a S but they are a little out of our price range especailly with the higher insurance.
Old 10 May 2004, 06:27 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peachy wrx
iv'e had 2 S's try it on now and have had no problem's at all in my MY98 wrx but i am running abit more power at 276 bhp but they do go very well
Peachy, hmm well my 03 has 260bhp (seen on 2 dynos) - so is hardly as slow as the bugeyes. Yours is so much lighter that it should - mind you if "drag racing" at high speed the boxster "s" will easily do 160-165mph .... and the 2.7 155+
Old 10 May 2004, 09:03 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I wondered how long it would be till this thread would degenerate into pseudo-drag racing stories
I hardly regard a tale of a wee sprint with a £40k sports car v's a £2k Peugeot 406 as degenerating into pseudo-drag racing stories. It was a fun wee blast but I'm in no doubt who is driving the faster, more expensive, better equiped, better handling, better looking, better everything car. I was just expressing that it was fun playing with a nice car, which btw, looked very cool and defo nicer than the standard boxters.
Old 10 May 2004, 09:14 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I'm a big fan of the Boxster. As Faire D'Income says there is a lot of crap written about it being a hairdressers car etc - obviously written by people who've never driven one. Lovely engine, sublime handling and certainly enough power from the 'S' to make it interesting without being silly.

Chris
Old 10 May 2004, 10:21 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matieboy
So my tec3 decated rb5 should have no problems with a 2.5 then.Cant have the misses having a faster car now can i.Would love a S but they are a little out of our price range especailly with the higher insurance.
No it shouldn't but then that comparison is a bit pointless, although I agree with you about the wife not having a faster car. Personally I think they're a great car but we couldn't quite get our heads round the styling, particularly at the rear so she ended up with the Z4 which splits the two Boxsters in terms of performance.

Having said that, when the new model is released then she'll be straight down to the Porsche showroom provided they are ready and willing.
Old 10 May 2004, 10:42 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

My sti5 was left well behind with one a while back on the motorway, definitely not slow things!

Cal
Old 11 May 2004, 02:47 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Great cars, but a pricey for the performance, you'll know where the extra money has gone though when sat in the drivers seat. The S version is the one to have.
Old 11 May 2004, 09:00 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't bother with a soft top if I were you or your missus. I once had an Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite and I was glad to get rid. The wind buffeting above 45 mph was unbearable. Also the great UK weather mean't that you could only get the top down for 4 weeks of the year (mind you that was 1962, what with global warming it seems to be getting wetter, so you can halve that figure for 2004).
Old 11 May 2004, 09:08 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

"Had a play with a Boxter S this morning The old 406 barge kept up remarkably well "

You boy racer fool Won't you children ever learn not to play with fireworks? I bet you have never driven anything that accelerates to 60 in under 7 seconds. Its always the same with the Nova/Saxo/Fiesta XR2 brigade. Maybe one day you'll grow up and have hairy nostrils like me and be able to afford the insurance on a real performance car
Old 11 May 2004, 09:43 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

The bugeye scooby is the real test of my 30-100mph acceleration
LOL judging by the 406's V6 book figures 15.9 sec 1/4 mile @ 91mph is not that fast, well compaired to a Boxster S anyway....trap speed is pretty poor for a relatively powerfull FWD car, so SB is yours tuned or something ??
Old 11 May 2004, 11:43 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Bluto22b - no you're right my old scooby would seldom hit 60mph in under 7 seconds. Oh.....that is except those occassions when I launched it and it hit 60 in under 5s and 100mph in about 12.something!!!!

Mr Angrybeat the peugot I own is John Banks old car. You know, John Banks, the doctor with the fastest UK impreza (I think). If he says the pug keeps up with bugeyes from a rolling start that is good enough for me until proven otherwise. Its defo not far behind my classic shaped scoobys 60+mph acceleration when the scooby was standard. As I said, I suspect the boxter wasn't redlining like I was but it was still being driven hard enough to ease away. And no! We were not racing, we were accelerating off a roundabout keeping a safe distance, nowhere other cars and slowed to normal traffic speeds when we caught the traffic

15.9 sec 1/4 mile @ 91mph - will take it to Crail soon. I'll take almost 1s of the time and add a few mph to the trap.......trust me Only mod is cat back exhaust that is pretty much as restrictive as the original.
Old 12 May 2004, 06:02 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

LOL Crail is not worth the paper it's written on take it somewhere thats FIA apparoved.....
Old 12 May 2004, 09:05 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Thats what everyone says about Crail I guess Andy F's 11.7s 1/4 doesn't count despite the fact that everytime a newbie asks "who's got the fastest Scooby" it is quoted. I've got no illusions of this old barge being some sort of scooby slaying sports car because its not. It is however, pretty rapid when up and running and smashes through 100mph like it wasn't there. It could easily outrun the hot-hatches and keep within very reasonable distance of the superhatches CTR/Cup. As usual I find myself wondering why all this matters - I made a throw away comment about an enjoyable blast with a £40k sports car and suddenly I'm a spotty ned that thinks his old mans car can hump Porkers

FWIW on 3 seperate occassions I've timed 60-100mph using my stop watch. My methodology was simple: I'd take a run in the appropriate gear from 40mph and just as the needed sweeped 55mph I'd hit start meaning the clock starts counting at an indicated 56/57mph. I would then hit stop as soon as it hit 105mph meaning it stops at about 106mph (accounting for my reactions). This gives an indicated 57-106mph through the gears on a flat road and I feel will be a fair representation of 60-100. Everytime it was about 11.2s which I think you'll find is about the same as a bugeye scooby so its not that shy for an old barge
Old 12 May 2004, 10:22 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Why oh why does everyone have to slay someone who posts times???????????/ whats wrong with the comments saxo boy made??? he's having fun with cars (period) does it matter what car he's got and what gives Bluto or anyone else the right to flame him so quickly???? maybe with a name like Bluto22b you should be flamed for telling eveyone you have a 22b?? or do you??

good on you saxo boy and ejoy your car (safely) at crail
Old 12 May 2004, 12:28 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Maybe Bluto is a girl with a really strange frame and cup ratio

Quick Reply: Anyone got or drove a boxster