Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Renault 5 GT Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2004, 02:20 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs up Renault 5 GT Turbo

I'm after one of these little babies asap, so if anyone knows of a nice phase II in white (prefer) or grey give me a shout.

Also any buying advice appreciated. Looked around and seen the usual heating problems, rust, clutch, seat mountings, perc fan etc.
Old 04 May 2004, 01:57 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I'm after one of these little babies asap, so if anyone knows of a nice phase II in white (prefer) or grey give me a shout.

Also any buying advice appreciated. Looked around and seen the usual heating problems, rust, clutch, seat mountings, perc fan etc.
good choice

have a gander on www.rtoc.org should find some cars for sale in the classifieds, I wouldnt worry too much about heating probs as long as its not blown the headgasket or owt like that yet probs like that are sooo easy to fix. if the boost has been raised on it make sure you can get the owner to confirm the fueling has been adjusted with it. otherwise chances are it'll be going pop soon. also PERSONALLY Id walk away from any car with a bleed valve unless the owner sounds like he knows his stuff and can prove the car has been set up or smething similar

good luck and have fun.
Old 05 May 2004, 01:09 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

I had one of these back in '86 (god, showing my age now)
Major problems with turbo overheating. Couldn't restart the damn thing after any sort of long run (i.e. in the service station after 100 miles of motorway driving) You needed to pour cold water over the turbo to get it started again Probably buggered it even more.

However, as for drivabilty, it was excellent, nothing like the scoob, but it was my first "performance" car.
Old 05 May 2004, 09:40 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DavidLewis
I had one of these back in '86 (god, showing my age now)
Major problems with turbo overheating. Couldn't restart the damn thing after any sort of long run (i.e. in the service station after 100 miles of motorway driving) You needed to pour cold water over the turbo to get it started again Probably buggered it even more.

However, as for drivabilty, it was excellent, nothing like the scoob, but it was my first "performance" car.
this is why they get a bad name, poor cold water over a turbo your having a laugh aint ya, youd cracking the housing in no time at all. the reason you couldnt restart the car after a you switched it off int he petrol station was because of the heat in the engine bay .... the heat evaporates the fuel in the carb thus not starting, back in 86 reno was still making the ph1's and new of this problem, newer models had an anti perculation fan which blew cold air onto the carb and into the boost circuit to prevent this (also older cars was recalled to get this fixed)

the turbos dont overheat (dont see how they possibally could tbh unless you have a T2 turbo running 25psi..lmao the overheating would be the stat in the rad top hose having a late opening time and the fan typically kicks in very late on the temp gauge just like citroen AX's did you know the cooling fan doesnt kick in til 98degrees??? funny when they say after boiling point 100degrees it'll pop the head gasket. talk about pushing their luck.

anyways happy hunting for a good car plenty around, u can tell from the owner whether its been looked after of not, Id know by looking at the owner and forget about the car whether it'd be worth buying IMHo.
Old 05 May 2004, 12:21 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Also from '87 on they had oil cooled turbos which improved the reliability a great deal, also if the boost has been upped the top of the intercooler can split and the fix for this.........metal cable ties - it works!
Old 05 May 2004, 12:31 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jaf01uk
Also from '87 on they had oil cooled turbos which improved the reliability a great deal, also if the boost has been upped the top of the intercooler can split and the fix for this.........metal cable ties - it works!
lmao at metal cable ties a big jubilee clip does the job, strapped around the IC to stop the plastic top blowing off at over 15psi. also another thing to do whilst strapping the IC is to take the thermostat out, the IC on the GTT only works when the intake temp is high (couldnt tell u the figure) so most of the time you'd be running the GTT without an IC in the boost circuit.

Anymore help/info just ask

Dave
Old 05 May 2004, 07:28 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

LOL at throwing cold water over the turbo.

Hopefully fuel evapourating is less of an issue on the phase II (with the anti perc fan).

Cheers Dave, got one lined up to see tommorrow. The annoying thing is the ones I like the look/sound of are nearly 200 miles away from me , long way to go to see a 5hitter.
Old 05 May 2004, 08:08 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

James...
I know of one for sale.
Cant remember if it`s an H or a J plate.
But it`s white, and as far as i know, it`s clean.
Up in Edinburgh though.

If you do want any info, PM me.
Johnny
Old 05 May 2004, 08:19 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, but I'm in south east so Edinburgh is a bit far
Old 05 May 2004, 08:21 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Always the case mate !
Old 05 May 2004, 08:32 PM
King RA
BANNED

My anti-perc fan seized and burn't all the wiring out up to the sensor on the heatshield. This was about 4 years ago and 1 owner later (a mate of mine) is still running fine without it, although a 20 second turn over to start up and a crap load of black smoke out the back reminds you it's missing sometimes
Old 05 May 2004, 08:52 PM
andy-type r
Scooby Regular

The turbo's were always oil feed, they actually became water cooled from 97. After taking out the state from the intercooler, the flap in the intercooler lid then needs wedging open.
As with all cars of that age they will all have faults, some not to bad to fix, some expensive.
perc fan about £65. clutch fitted about £280.
For small bit of trim etc there are plenty of breakers around
Old 06 May 2004, 08:35 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Question

Originally Posted by andy-type r
The turbo's were always oil feed, they actually became water cooled from 97. After taking out the state from the intercooler, the flap in the intercooler lid then needs wedging open.
As with all cars of that age they will all have faults, some not to bad to fix, some expensive.
perc fan about £65. clutch fitted about £280.
For small bit of trim etc there are plenty of breakers around
AFAIK the GTT was in its final throws in 1991, 'J' plate, but are a small number if not 1 or 2 that were registered on a 'K' plate. So to find one registered in '97 on a 'P' or 'R' would be like finding the Holly-Grail.

As for water cooled turbo units. Never heard of that one before.
Old 06 May 2004, 09:27 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

the ph1 GTT had an air cooled turbo after 87 the ph1.5 was oil cooled turbos then from about 1989 G plates became the proper ph2 without any faults. if your perc fan burnt all the wiring etc it was never taken back to renault on the recall for a fuse to be fitted, again renault knew of these problems.

personally Ive ran my car without the perc fan aswell for the last 4 years. no problmes what so ever, like matey said maybe turning over 20seconds is wayyyyy long enough, and the black smoke will just be unburnt fuel flooding through the carb they are great cars once you get to know them and VERY easy to work on

good luck
Old 06 May 2004, 09:29 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by prodriva
AFAIK the GTT was in its final throws in 1991, 'J' plate, but are a small number if not 1 or 2 that were registered on a 'K' plate. So to find one registered in '97 on a 'P' or 'R' would be like finding the Holly-Grail.

As for water cooled turbo units. Never heard of that one before.
rumour has it 5 K plates were late registered J platers 1 has been written off and Ive seen 1 myself before. so there are 4 left, 1 came up for sale 2 months ago on RTOC and sold for about 4k.

there are some N reg cars knocking about too but dont be fooled these are the last of the campus's converted by ownerws to have a "newer" GTT

Dave
Old 06 May 2004, 07:36 PM
andy-type r
Scooby Regular

Sorry, 87 not 97, my mistake
Old 06 May 2004, 07:45 PM
andy-type r
Scooby Regular

Around E reg they were a sort of phase 1.5. Phase 2 interior, seats anyway, not sure on door cards, and colour coded kit, but ecu was still engine side of the bulkhead. Plus still on dual oil pressure swith and sender unit I think. That would be 87/88.
Old 06 May 2004, 08:58 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Enough chat guys

Where's me new car then???

Old 07 May 2004, 08:49 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

I sold my 1990 'H' in glacier white about 5 years ago to a mechanic who worked at the Land Rover garage in Beaconsfield, High Wycombe. I wish I'd never sold it as it was standard bar a GT Tuning exhaust and Bosche dump valve. It was the best car I ever owned and apart from a replacement turbo at 65k and the perc fan temp sensor coming away from the heat shield and shorting-out, it never let me down.

As long as you keep them serviced when they're supposed too, they will keep on going.

When I found mine it was the 8th car had seen and all the others had been really shabby in comparison to what I eventually found. It was hard to found a good one back then so its going to be even harder nowadays. However, stick with it because there are some good ones out there, just very hard to find. Try the R5 GT Turbo Owners Club Web Site. Thats probably your best bet. Or, give GT Tuning a call, they were based in Dorset and they sold them back then.
Old 07 May 2004, 08:55 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Thanks mate, but I'm in south east so Edinburgh is a bit far
Get a cheap flight, if its the right car, distance is not an issue. I got a lift from Lancs to London to buy my 205, and only had pictures to go off.

A gamble, but who cares, i'm happy with it now. 5GT's are even rarer than 205's now, so you need to look at all that come up for sale.
Old 07 May 2004, 09:28 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by prodriva
When I found mine it was the 8th car had seen and all the others had been really shabby in comparison to what I eventually found. It was hard to found a good one back then so its going to be even harder nowadays. However, stick with it because there are some good ones out there, just very hard to find. Try the R5 GT Turbo Owners Club Web Site. Thats probably your best bet. Or, give GT Tuning a call, they were based in Dorset and they sold them back then.
Lot more better 1's about now, you'd be suprised at he amount being restored back to standard now.

the owners club is now the renault turbo owners club, the renault 5 GT Turbo OC no longer exsists

GT Tuning siezed trading at christmas, good riddance too, Roland was a rip off ba$tard

Dave
Old 08 May 2004, 03:06 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Just spent a couple of hours travelling to see a minter, Grrrrr

On the phone "yeah mate it's mint, 80k, genuine miles"

I don't think so!, rusty as **** everywhere, really bad blow over, wouldn't even idle.
Old 11 May 2004, 01:26 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

seen anymore?
Old 11 May 2004, 08:31 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Nope, can't even find anything suitable to go and look at.

Also looked at Clio 16v Sunday too, aaaaarrrrrggghh, crap!, caved in roof, not a straight panel on the car, patchwork quilt paint.

Just sold my skyline and want a car for myself too (R5 gtt is for mrs), so got even more joy to come.