Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2004, 09:01 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Civic or Integra?

Still not really decided on a replacement for the scoob

I do want a Honda though

The S2000 is top of my list, but its obviously pricey and starts at 14k second hand 99 model, so not 100% on that.

Next price down is a CTR at around 10-11k.

Then the ITR is around 8k.

So, apart from the S2000, what would you choose given the option? I really liked the ride I had in the ITR, made me It looks a lot nicer that the CTR too IMHO, and the CTR is becoming very common, I see as many as I do old nackered WRX's ITR is quite a rare car, I see one every few weeks, which is a plus.

But, the CTR is a bit more refined, and has a nicer interior. Shame they don't do a white one though!

I would ask on Honda revolutions, but ive quizzed them enough, and might start a war

Any opinions?

MB - confused as usual.
Old 25 April 2004, 09:22 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Just to add, getting quotes of £600 for all of them Quite refreshing!

MB
Old 25 April 2004, 09:39 PM
the chosen one
Scooby Regular

actually there is a white CTR but its only avaliable as a jap import if i'm thinking right, looks very nice in white, seen a few on the mugen demo cars one of them being a white CTR with full body kit, looks the dogs
Old 25 April 2004, 09:42 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Yep, they do an older one as an import in white, and seen some pics of the new shape Mugen one too! Got to be a UK though...

MB
Old 25 April 2004, 11:05 PM
Gallardo
Scooby Regular

I would go for an ITR, the civics did not have an LSD (the lastest version may have) plus the ITR must handle a whole lot better, being lower to the ground etc,,,, I had an ITR and mis it loads, best drivers car I have ever owned and that includes an EVO6 and STi5 Type RA V-ltd... It's not all down to top speed and 0-60 for the fun factor...

ITR any time of the day, in fact I might just get one again for weekends and track days.
Old 26 April 2004, 08:12 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

ITR - Fantastic
CTR - Good

Take your pick
Old 26 April 2004, 08:22 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thats what im leaning towards TBH, and the JR supercharger would then be an option

Just fancy a nearly new car though...

MB

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2004, 08:27 AM
Emms
Scooby Regular

Hi

I drive an '02 CTR, and to be honest handeling wise in reall world terms there is not a whole lot in it, however the CTR's brakes and gearbox is better, and as you say the CTR is (comparativly) more refined. It is also practical. The Teg has more of a stripped out feel about it imho, yet it is a fantastic drivers car with better steering feel. I test drove the S2K a short while ago as I was looking to change myself (the wife spent the cash on a scooby instead..lol). The S2K is a very different beast, not as nippy befor v-tec as the CTR and to me at any rate did not feel any quicker. Build quality was superb however, and well you can take the roof off/down.

As has been said only the JDM Civic came in white and has the LSD. With a few simple mods to the suspension geometry the CTR can have its (sometimes) vague steering feel much improved. If you don't mind me asking why the move from the scoob?

Oh as for revolutions they don't much like the CTR it would seem if you want to ask anything about the teg, ctr come to....

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/phpbb2/index.php

we are almost as cool as you lot.

P.S Im Emms Husband, she drives the STi 7. Hence I am also looking at the JRSC

in the vnf.

Last edited by Emms; 26 April 2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 26 April 2004, 09:09 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I bought a new ITR in '98, and have test driven a CTR and an S2K.

The ITR is more extreme than the CTR, and if you're going to be doing many miles then the CTR may be easier to live with. There were occasions when the ITR would drive me insane ! Usually late at night when I was tired and just not in the mood for the race track experience.

However, when the mood does take you - the ITR is far better imo. The handling, the soundtrack - everything !

I would have an ITR over a CTR everyday of the week though, the CTR just didn't feel special enough for me, nor did the ATR.

The S2K was good, but didn't impress me massively.

I read a review somewhere that said 'the ITR gives you 80% of an NSX, but with only 25% of the cost'

I do still miss mine

All the best

Matt
Old 26 April 2004, 09:43 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, good input. The only worrying point about the ITR is the fact that I do use the motorway a reasonable amount, and hear that 5th gear isn't really motorway suited? Ill have a go tommorrow and report back I am also feeling old at 26, and think I need something a bit more grown up

Decisions....

MB
Old 26 April 2004, 05:28 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Get yourself the CTR out of the bunch for your money....

I would take the CTR everyday over the old teg. not even close IMO.

However I'd have the new Teg over the CTR.

P.
Old 26 April 2004, 05:30 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
... and hear that 5th gear isn't really motorway suited?
MB
well, I've had mine for a month or so now and apart from a bit of droning at motorway speeds there is no reason why the ITR can't take motorway work, just turn the stereo up a notch

For reference, they pull about 4400rpms at 80, which sounds a lot until you remember the limiter is 8900 so basically its still only cruising at "half" available revs, so should be fine. Its a Honda ffs, it'll take it no problem.

Having driven CTR and owning ITR its the ITR everytime I'm afraid, I just wasn't *that* impressed with the Civic at all, no power step on second cam, not as nice a noise, and just too damn tall, it feels like it shouldn't be as good even though it may be, which spoils it for me.
Old 26 April 2004, 05:43 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

£15.5k

http://www.wickedkit.com/shop/index.php?p_mfr=11
Old 26 April 2004, 05:49 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Plantie
I would take the CTR everyday over the old teg. not even close IMO.
In what way Plantie?
Old 26 April 2004, 06:05 PM
st/EVO
Scooby Regular

i have had an s2000 and an atr, i test drove a ctr but didn't really like it, i think the shape of them puts me off they look like a mini mpv, had an integra round brands hatch what a little beauty knocked spots off the atr
Old 26 April 2004, 09:25 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

AVI - thats very tempting But for 15k, I could get an S2000

It has to be white though, ive always liked white

Plantie, what you driving now? Remember when you had an RB5. Have you driven the ITR and CTR? Hopefully by tomorrow, I will have.

I chased my mate up the road from work in the Civic, he was prepared to rag it from cold, where I wasnt, but boy did it shift!

The big appeal of the CTR is its a much more refined place to be, and quite a new car, but performance wise, the ITR gets it. Tough choice. The ITR has very nice seat, and is no more basic than the Scoob.

Not ruled out the S just yet....

MB
Old 26 April 2004, 10:50 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

Just got a CTR in place of a MY99 PPP scoob. Love it, seems to have as much low down torque as the scoob and the noise when you hit VTEC is worth it alone. Having said that the interior and general feel of it make it comfortable enough when you're not in the mood for it. Got to say that MPG is just as bad but then again you don't buy one for the economy
Some people moan about the noise levels but compared to a SS system I had on the scoob it's soooo quiet.

Drove the accord a few years back, before I got the scoob, and that was just too heavy. The Integra is yet to be experienced but it'll have to wait..........
Old 26 April 2004, 11:21 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up ITR

I have driven all but the s2000, but I have read so many reviews, I think you might be dissapointed with the current S2000, I know loads of people that have tested them full of expectations and been dissapointed. It needs to be kept on the boil constantly to get the performance, the new revised one has sorted nearly all those problems out, they tested it in this months evo against the Beemer Z4 and it won hands down, sound f’ing awesome, and if had the cash I’d snap one up.

As for the contest between ITR (DC2) and the current CTR, in my opinion from driving both, ther ITR wins hands down. But that does depend on what you’ll be using it for. It’s not very praticial, it’s rachus, loud, and aggressive, which many say is very wearing for commuting and business miles, and it could do with a 6th gear on the motorway. But apart from that it is definatley the finest front wheel drive chassis I have ever been in. The handling and grip is legendary, and the vtec is just a beauty.

The CTR is still not to be over looked, it’s also got a fantastic vtec unit, and it’s probably more practical and user friendly, plus it has 6 gears which makes better use of the vtec on long journeys. But if you just want the best handling front wheel drive Honda, it has to be the ITR, when I was looking to spend that sort of cash, the ITR was always top of the list, nearly knocked off by the grey MR2 turbo, but even though kicks more ***, I would still rather have an ITR cause they’re just a fantastic all around car, and best of all they don’t break if you look after them.

I am a huge vtec fan, all of the above are awesome, but as you might of guessed by now, I am a fan of the ITR, evo totally rate them, they did an article not so long ago, saying how much they rock. Check out evo.co.uk you might find it there. If not I havew it scanned and happy to email.

Hope that helps.

Ain’t car shopping fun!
Old 27 April 2004, 09:38 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ITR for sale
Old 27 April 2004, 10:32 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Walking home sunday night I hear an loud noise that sounds like an engine (The b18c engine sounds soo much better than the K20)at full chat see some headlights beaming towards, screech, bumps it up the kerb, drives off. he must have been doing 70/80 before breaking.

My point is this was in a 30 limit, with quite a few pedsetrians around. ***!!!!!

New CTR = Old Saxo VTS/VTR

I see this so often round by where I live

The CTR is a fantatastic car and to be honest those who have driven a DC2 and EP3, there isnt anything in it performance wise, one has more direct steering, one has more power, looks aside, they are about equal.

I think they are ugly, and the next generation of boy racers.

DC5
Old 27 April 2004, 10:41 AM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Well, I thought about an ITR before I was made redundant, and I was forced into having a cheaper car for a bit. Working again, and that is why the VR6 is up for sale…. Was stuck as to what I wanted next, and reading this thread has set me straight… ITR is highly likely… and it should be white (I think they look sleeker than the red or black ones)

Sounds as if it is what I want - a lot of fun driving for the money, with not too high running costs.

I have found in the past that Honda Type R's are cheap to insure (apart from the CTR which is expensive compared to the rest - almost DOUBLE!)
Old 27 April 2004, 11:59 AM
66 Blue
Scooby Regular

My bro has a ITR they handle amazing have enough grunt etc look nice and sound awesome possibly one of the best sounding cars I have ever been in. perfomance wise there isn't that much in it between a CTR and a ITR but imo the DC2 ITR looks much more sporty compared to the MPV like CTR..
you could also consider a 5th gen prelude 2.2 vtec with 4ws... nice cars...
Old 27 April 2004, 12:39 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

I think DC5 may be right, but in a few years time. The looks of the CTR are not to everyones taste but plenty of people still went and bought the 2001/2 impreza
Old 27 April 2004, 01:01 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonesy
I think DC5 may be right, but in a few years time. The looks of the CTR are not to everyones taste but plenty of people still went and bought the 2001/2 impreza
DC5 are lovely, but they're not as focused as the Dc2 as a drivers car, and they're not that cheap.

You still need to pay about £10k odd for a decent ITR (dc2), so I think who ever it was saying it's a saxo of the future is being a little car-pretentious.

The ITR isnt that bad looking, it does grow on you, it's a future classic, I would disagree about performance between DC2 and CTR, dont' get me wrong, the CTR is a very good car, i loved driving it. But the Integra is a more focused drivers car, as soon as you get in - the driving position is good, it feels low, the sus. is tight and low. THe steering is direct, the power is there under the vtec, and sweet jesus, every time that engine starts barking on full chat you smile from ear to ear. I think evo say it's one of the best if not the best front wheel drive chassis in the world.

I took one out for a test drive, it had 27k miles 13k from dealer with years warranty, it was spotless, red, with lovely gunsmoke wheels. I was overwhelmed with what a great car it was, the lad that took me out let me go wild. I had it lift off around a round-a-bout in surrey near guildford, it was so gradual and progressive, and controlable. THis was the first time I had ever got in the car, don't normally have the ability to throw cars around the second I get into them. But this was a car you could feel very confident to throuw aroound. The sound is just awesome, gear box very quick and solid. I would have no trouble making the decision to buy one, I am still very interested in getting one, might well get it as my second car next year.
Old 27 April 2004, 01:20 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mynickers
You still need to pay about £10k odd for a decent ITR (dc2), so I think who ever it was saying it's a saxo of the future is being a little car-pretentious.
I've seen high milers for as little as £6k (T/V reg)

That said, I doubt it will go down the same route as the classic Impreza!

Limited numbers, a non turbo'd engine, good ones holding their money and group 18 insurance is enough to see off some of the wannabes!!

I see an Integra (DC2) gracing my driveway once I'm married , or if other plans happen in the mean time...... maybe an Evo 6!

The Civic seems to be a great everyday car, but I see the Integra (DC2 or DC5) being the car enthausiast's choice!
Old 27 April 2004, 03:31 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

DC2 all the way. DC5 if, for some reason, you need *some* practicality.
Chuck
Old 27 April 2004, 03:33 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Right,

Just been out in an 04 CTR.... Not really impressed to be honest. It did feel a bit gutless, but sounded at high revs. Nicely bolted together too. You cant see the end of the bonnet though, and not really near as fun as the ITR. At least I can say ive been in both now!

This was on a pretty special long windy country road, perfect for a test drive.

I took the STi out afterwards, and the car is just mind blowing, really is untouchable on a road like that. Even the CTR owner had gone a bit pasty after taking sweeping bends at close to double figures. I dont think he realised what a Subaru could do.

Glen - you know what road

MB
Old 27 April 2004, 05:40 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

ATR gets my vote.

Others are cool, but have no stealth.
Old 27 April 2004, 07:27 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=mynickers]I think evo say it's one of the best if not the best front wheel drive chassis in the world. [QUOTE]

Pity it wasn't in the top 10 drivers cars of the last 10 years

I have a feeling one of these might be my next car
Old 27 April 2004, 08:52 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R1916v

I have a feeling one of these might be my next car

Do it man, I've had mine a month now and I'm still grinning, superb cars.

Quick Reply: Civic or Integra?