Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2004, 10:46 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MR2 n/a GT...decat?

Hi,

My missus has just got an MR2 t/bar (1993) and I was wondering if it was worth decating + induction kit, if so, any recommendations and what kinda gains can we expect?

Cheers

Jeff
Old 21 April 2004, 06:08 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

de-cat the best mod you can do to a n/a mr2 for a rev3 an induction kit (apexi are generally accepted as best) and a decat pipe usually get them to 180bhp at least, feel of throttle response with the decat is whats most improved.
Old 21 April 2004, 06:36 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Didnt the 1993 n/a come with 156hp ?? doubt you would get to 180hp with just a cat, induction mod...

The later 1994 models that came with another 15ish hp more you might get it to 180hp
Old 21 April 2004, 08:54 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the pointers so far,

I believe its a Rev 2, which as standard are 158 BHP but have a slightly quicker 0-60 time than the rev 3 (a bit lighter?).

I think Im gonna get a full S/S system inc decat with a K&N induction then poss a remap as I believe they are prone to running a bit lean after the decat is fitted. Someone has told me that after they had the same done (minus the remap) the torque and reponsiveness increased loads but nothing really happens until you get to 3500 rpm?

She (the missus) is well up for getting it sorted... she picks it up tomorrow night, and Im supposed to be gettin it booked in for decat, induction kit AND 17"s on Saturday... girl racer soon to be hitting the roads..watch out.....

Keep the tips/opinions coming guys, its appreciated

Jeff

Last edited by Jay_bee; 21 April 2004 at 08:58 PM.
Old 22 April 2004, 08:23 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I put a K&N 57i on my old rev3 and it was the worst thing I ever did. Noise sounded good, but it completely destroyed al low down torque.

Needless to say it lasted 3 days before I ripped it out and flogged it. If you look at the std induction there are loads of little acoustic boxes which meter the air carefully. Removing these made mine rubbish - all power was after about 5k rpm after that.

They are better on rev2's apparently though.
Old 22 April 2004, 10:27 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

I think on reflection, Im gonna get the decat done and probably just get a replacement filter rather than the induction kit to start, I think the main criteria for Anna is to have "shiney sliver bits on the end of the exhaust" and "big wheels with lots of those long things" so thats some SuperTourismos

Jeff
Old 22 April 2004, 02:23 PM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I put a K&N 57i on my old rev3 and it was the worst thing I ever did. Noise sounded good, but it completely destroyed al low down torque.

Needless to say it lasted 3 days before I ripped it out and flogged it. If you look at the std induction there are loads of little acoustic boxes which meter the air carefully. Removing these made mine rubbish - all power was after about 5k rpm after that.

They are better on rev2's apparently though.
If a mere cold-air filter destroyed all low down torque maybe there is something wrong with the car.
Old 22 April 2004, 04:12 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I dont think so Cossie. I read somewhere when I had it (sold the car long ago now) that all the little boxes added to the induction side were acoustic air pressure boxes, which did something to the air entering the system.

All i know is when I added the K&N, I had nowhere near as much grunt as I did before from 3500rpm. The start of the power band shifted to about 4800rpm. It also seemed to change induction noise for about 500rpm, from 5500 to 6000.

The car and engine were immaculate, FTSH, engine was fine, never used oil, had full power etc, and I never had any problems with the stock induction system.
Old 22 April 2004, 04:25 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Well, I have been on the owners site and there are some people saying do it, some saying dont. Its the same old story, gonna have to just try it, if its no good, get it off flog it on, try something else!!