Rover 216 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2004, 12:41 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rover 216 coupe

hi,
I am hoping to get my hands on one of these cars. Does anyone have any constructive comments regarding them??
i have about £1500 to spend on one. I want one with the DOHC k-series rover engine, which came on the 1995- models. Are these motors worth the extra cash, as i dont like the idea of the SOHC honda engine (D16), with high miles too as they are older and more primative??
also the later models, came with twin-airbags, side-impact bars and seat belt pre-tensioners and im a duff driver, so these may come in handy!
Is there anything i need know about these cars, such as elements of the vechicles that do not last over time? Hope you can help me, as i have just seen a terrible P-plater, and did not even sit in it for closer inspection!!
cheers Kambo
Old 09 April 2004, 08:52 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad bought a minter for a grand, he's into bikes so cars are a bit of a non event performance wise but it seems ok, I had a MK2 Golf GTI 8 valve with a few little mods and that was quicker but the 1600 isnt too bad, reliability wise, just chuck it an oil and filter occasionally and get a cam belt change as a matter of course. Whether its a Honda or Rover unit, I would opt for the Honda one if its done more miles, I was under the impression they were all Honda's in the 1600 variety, my dads is an N reg and thats the Honda motor, K series is a good engine but it wont put up with bad maintenance and miles quite as well as the Honda, just look at the humber of Taxi's and Curry Carriers with Honda motors.

With regards to which to go for, they are getting very cheap nowadays so go for the best spec you can get for 1500, I would imagine a P plate 96 is within reach at that money, try Rover dealers for part ex's as thats where my dad got his. best really to go for condition rather than age/miles really.

Safety wise, its an old design so you cant compare it to modern stuff but the more safety kit the better

They do seem to have a following !
Old 09 April 2004, 10:39 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Head gaskets tend to go a lot. I had a 216 GSi, which is the Honda unit at 115bhp. Performance was OK.
Old 09 April 2004, 11:08 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The honda engine is the far better unit, from the EFi system, gearbox, driveshafts to the engine itself.(except the distributor - but that's about it). Just as long as it's been cared for (make sure coolant is changed and well as just the oil during serivces - as it'll end up no better than a K-series) Old coolant will kill the head gasket on the Honda engine.

The K-series is not THAT bad, but is more prone. Headgaskets, although a pain is an easy job if your a competant mechanic (and almost routine in every garage in the country that deals with Rovers ). Inlet O-rings is easy to fix. Drivesahfts are probably a thing to look out for as they are reaching the age where the rust is taking it's toll on them.

ECU is probably your 2nd biggest enemy on the K-seires (head gasket being the 1st) - Some bright spark put the things in the engine bay right by the ignition system and battery (honda varients had them under the passenger footwell), fine, but it does make them prone to damage from water, heat oil vapour and the odd stray spark from a duff ignition system. And the nail in the coffin is the MAP sensor being built into them, so fault MAP sessor = faulty ECU, so off it goes for repair for some extortionate amount.
Old 09 April 2004, 01:25 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Holly-molly, im unsure now to go for a new k-series engine. Can pick up the honda blocks for cheaper, but they are only SOHC and have less power:S Cheers for your help, will keep pondering for now!
kam
Old 09 April 2004, 03:01 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the 218vvi model and forget the 1.6s.

If the 1.6sohc is the same as the engine in the wifes 416sli, it's still a good engine with 103000miles on the clock. Even better, it can survive a snapped cam belt with absolutely no damage at 4500rpm.
Old 09 April 2004, 04:54 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

I would love the 1.8VVC but im only 20, and the 1.6 is really my limit in terms of both insurance and the actual cost of the the car. Out of interest what does the k series engine mean, are the k series engines all the same blocks with different pistons,con-rods and cranks?
kam
Old 09 April 2004, 05:20 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Kammy - www.rovertech.net is a good place to source info about Rovers
Old 09 April 2004, 08:27 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

The 1996 MY you refer to indeed meant the Honda 1.6 engine was dumped and replaced with the 1.6 K series, apart from the safety items you mentioned it also had revised suspension, oh and the fitment of the R3 ( Rover 25 ) Facia and Centre Console...

I should know I was the project engineer on all the trim modifications
Old 09 April 2004, 08:42 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Why don't you drive a Rover then? It says a lot when one of their employees/ex employees can't even bring themseves to drive their product.
Old 09 April 2004, 08:48 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

I was a design engineer on some of the MINI interior parts whilst working for Rover, oh strange I drive a MINI

I have owned quite a few Rover cars in my time, infact one of the best cars I have ever owned believe it or not was a 1990 Metro Gti

Anyway I'm a contract design engineer, worked on everything from Submarines, Aeroplanes, Military Vehicles, Trucks and cars such as the new L319, L320 Landrovers, New Bentley, Queens Jubilee Car, some crap Merc, do you expect me to own everything I've worked on

Last edited by mn_angrybeats; 09 April 2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09 April 2004, 08:53 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

In case you'd forgotten minis are now made by the company that sold your employer down the river.......some loyalty.

Like the edit to make it sound less stupid as well

Old 09 April 2004, 09:06 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

I'm a contractor I work through my own limited company the fact I have worked for at least 5 major OEM Automotive manufactures so why should I have loyalty....?

I'm more than happy to keep the guys down in Oxford that build the MINI in a job

Why does it concern you where I put my money ? You drive a very old VW, A even older BMW no one has seen and an old estate car that shouts poor Chav...and you choose to live with the white flag waving Frogs

So much for your contribution,keep up the good work
Old 09 April 2004, 09:46 PM
robvvc
Scooby Newbie

try www.mg-rover.org
Old 10 April 2004, 07:41 AM
NACRO
BANNED

get your facts right the VW is dead, the estate is the version of the car that doesn't scream chav and the BMW oozes class whichever way you look at it.

....................and nobody on here has ever seen any of them and neither are they likely to.

The reason I live with our surrendering chums is because there is less crime, more holidays and more sunshine. Sounds like you are the idiot to me.

The fact remains you are someone who works closely with MGR and even you wouldn't own any of their products, I wonder why? Not because they are crap is it?

Last edited by NACRO; 10 April 2004 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10 April 2004, 09:50 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

I have worked closely with Land Rover, Bentley & Jag too expect me to own a whole fleet or something, in the past have owned 4 different Rover cars and all have been fine.... As I said before the Metro Gti I had, albiet slightly modified was one of the best cars I have ever owned....

I'd happily own a ZS, ZT and 75, infact I'd even own the facelifted ZR which is coming out soon...

You obsession with MGR is astounding as is your so called property portfolio Yawwwwwwnnnnnn, you need help as your constant slagging them off is so boring and repetative, no wonder you chose to live with the arrogant Frogs you fit in so well ...

Oh and I have a place in Puerto Banus so I get all the sunshine I need thanks, I don't see the need to brag about it....

This thread was about the Rover 216 Coupe and as an overall package for the money IMO they are good value, the 96MY with the lighter K series engine and the safety & interior update has made it into a really well balanced car that handles really well, the VVC is faster granted but not a great deal faster really, get the VVC alloys and it will look like one anyway. The improvement over the previous Turbo and 2ltr model in handling and appareance is significant..

Good luck with your purchase

Last edited by mn_angrybeats; 10 April 2004 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10 April 2004, 10:03 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

NACRO, it must be difficult driving round Britain with so many Rovers around, is that why you live in France ?
Old 10 April 2004, 12:32 PM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "Oh and I have a place in Puerto Banus so I get all the sunshine I need thanks, I don't see the need to brag about it...."

Apart from the fact you just have done, a55hole.

The subtext to all your posts is that you don't think MGR/Rover product is any good, so you don't own any of it. I was just interested why someone with a vested interest like yourself doesn't own an MGR product like the warmed over 25? Instead you prefer a BMW product, just wondered why that's all. The reasons seem clear enough to me, I reckon you bought the superior product.

J4CKO you see quite a few Rovers here- they are broken down old wrecks for the mostpart- unlike their French counterparts- wonder what that says as well?
Old 10 April 2004, 12:50 PM
Eder22b
Scooby Regular

My mate's got one.quick as ****
Old 10 April 2004, 12:51 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Nacro why don't you just stfu about Rover for a change? Oh and while you're at it, stfu about mn_angrybeats - you're looking a **** there as well.
Old 10 April 2004, 12:58 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Mooseface why would/should I? THis is a BBs for the exchange of ideas and I'm interested to know why mini boy doesn't own a Rover as he always banging on about how good they are.

I suggest that if you or anyone else doesn't like it they use the ignore button provided for those that can't take it. Otherwise YOU STFU ***-pipe
Old 10 April 2004, 01:10 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Why are you that bothered if I own a MG Rover now ??? you seem to always forget I have owned them in the past..

The same reason why I don't drive a Land Rover or a Jaguar, I have a choice, I choose to drive a BMW, my next car will be a Porsche, God I'm a bad lad...

I mentioned Puerto Banus as you seem to think that you demand respect by mortaging up to the hilt with your property portfolio LOL every few posts you mention it.Why not sell one of your properties a buy something that would look out of place outside a Chav's council house to avoid the image your portray. Go on you only live once.

I know you are clueless when it comes to anything automotive, infact cannot remember anything worthwhile that you have posted my 4 yr old Nephew know more. Judging by the number of posts that you have made it seems France is not all it's cracked upto be, obviously nothing to do as you seem to spend your life on here spouting how bad England is, maybe a French forum would be more your thing that way you would be amongst other arrogant people that know as much about cars as you do...

Old 10 April 2004, 01:32 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
I'm interested to know why mini boy doesn't own a Rover as he always banging on about how good they are.
Urm, maybe because he wanted a Mini?

Why not carry on about how sad it is when even a Rover employee doesn't drive a Rover. Oh no I forgot, you looked a tit when you tried that.
Old 10 April 2004, 03:55 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Smile

The little Rover coupes are well liked cars and justly so. Nice drive too and reasonably economical. If insurance cost is not a big problem for you, the normally aspirated 220 maybe the way to go. Very strong understressed engine will last forever provided it's been well cared for = routine regular servicing, nothing special. Provided you check all the things you'd normally check on any used car, and you find a tidy one, be it Honda or Rover powered, you would have to be very unlucky to get a poor one.

There are two well used K16 engines in my family. No problems despite hard use. You do tend to hear about those that give trouble. Other marques never have head gasket damage apparently.

Today been to look at a T16 Turbo version of the Coupe with another fellow Rover enthusiast. A fine example for about 2k. Drove well too despite greasy conditions. Mine has in excess of 112,000 now and engine better than ever. Like many Rover and MG products, often underestimated.

My K series Rover driving son recently returned from a trip to France. He, as was I, were under the impression that the very Patriotic French do not buy British Cars. By that I mean Rover cars. He reported seeing many LHD Rovers, even old ones still going strong with French Reg Plates. Now there's a turn up.

By the way, any Rovers made around and since 1992 rarely suffer from corrosion except when panel damage is neglected which of course is true of most cars.

One final point. Like many cars of the age you're thinking of, Rovers are now showing up in local breakers including both Honda and K series ones as well as the 2 litre T16 cars (Because people still like them, the 'Tomcat' style targa coupes are rare there except the occasional accident damaged ones) but, the Rover 2/4/600 range have many common electrical parts thus replacements can be obtained for really small outlays....perfect ECU between 10 or 20 quid - remove it yourself. However, never needed one in near twenty years of Rover/MG ownership. That includes the occasional engine compartment steam clean guaranteed to kill all kinds of electrical stuff on some cars.

If you do go for one, be patient and look for a well cared for example. You wont be disappointed. Oh yes, and Good Luck. Where used cars are concerned you can never have too much of that.....
Old 10 April 2004, 04:05 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

mn_angrybeats WROTE:

>>I have owned quite a few Rover cars in my time, infact one of the best cars I have ever owned believe it or not was a 1990 Metro Gti<<

I do not find that hard to believe. As mentioned in the post above, Rovers are often underestimated cars from just about every aspect. Thus some buyers will alwyas look elsewhere for their means of transport and sometimes miss out!
Old 10 April 2004, 05:11 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Talking

Any chance of that again in English this time mini boy? It didn't make any sense, idiot. Probably beyond your abilities. At least I can use my native tongue, unlike you it seems.

You all seem to have missed the point, which is that there is nothing in MGr's current output that's good enough for even someone closely involved to actually own one. Mini boy has already let it be known in an earlier MGR thread that there is nothing they make that is good enough to suit him. I just wanted to hear him say it again.

As I suggested if you don't like it then just ignore it, then again I reckon you're all a bit too stupid to do that.

edit courtesy of Mg john- cheers for pulling me up on my typos, at least what I said made some sort of sense

Last edited by NACRO; 10 April 2004 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10 April 2004, 05:23 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Narky's back with incorrect word usage:

>>At least I can use my native tongue, unlike you it seems.<<

Oh Yes! Witness:

>>then again I reckon your all a bit too stupid to do that.<<

Your!! YOUR!! Go to the back of the class and write out one thousand times:

I must learn the difference between YOUR and You are and YOU'RE.....

Pheasant!! (Yes I know .... Hoisted by your own wossname...that just serves you right.....
Old 10 April 2004, 05:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

NACRO, Chill out, it doesnt matter, you dont like Rovers, MG John does, I can sort of appreciate them.

One thing I cant stand is when a thread degenerates into name-calling, considering you seem to be an intelligent a wealthy individual, you seem to resort to playground tactics very quickly.

J4CKO, self appointed moderator and Righteous ****.
Old 10 April 2004, 05:48 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
As I suggested if you don't like it then just ignore it, then again I reckon you're all a bit too stupid to do that.

Take a leaf from your own book then Nacro: You don't like MG/Rovers, so ignore any thread about them.

Then again I reckon you're a bit to stupid to do that, and besides where would you get to post your oh so witty play's on usernames
Old 10 April 2004, 06:03 PM
NACRO
BANNED

You are missing the point moosemolester(), this is a public BBS and I've got something to say, therefore I say it. If you don't like it, feel free to ignore it. Just don't imagine you have the ability to shout someone down and get them to shut up because in this case you haven't. Learn to live with it.

Quick Reply: Rover 216 coupe