Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi TT test drive!

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2004, 10:14 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi TT test drive!

mate at work has just got a 2001 TT 225 roadster, went for a quick drive with him today......very cool!

not sure why they get so much stick on here. it looks cool, not stunning but still looks very up to date and certainly turns heads.

its quick, not super quick but still a fast car that fel very planted on the road. also has plenty of toys, BOSE stereo, heated seats, etc

and 15 secs to go topless!

i had a TVR last year and with hindsight i'd rather have this, not so cool but at least its german and wont break down!

T

ps...in fact....i think i'll buy one! can wee have a TT corner in members gallery
Old 02 April 2004, 11:28 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

They get stick cos they are ghey - nothing to do with scoob owner opinions (I have a Merc, saab and scooby
Old 03 April 2004, 10:19 AM
JayBee
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Tiggs
mate at work has just got a 2001 TT 225 roadster, went for a quick drive with him today......very cool!

not sure why they get so much stick on here. it looks cool, not stunning but still looks very up to date and certainly turns heads.

its quick, not super quick but still a fast car that fel very planted on the road. also has plenty of toys, BOSE stereo, heated seats, etc

and 15 secs to go topless!

i had a TVR last year and with hindsight i'd rather have this, not so cool but at least its german and wont break down!

T

ps...in fact....i think i'll buy one! can wee have a TT corner in members gallery
QUICK - someone pass the hair dryer! Tiggs has had a back, crack and sack!!

mmm let me think for nano second......nope dont need to think, TVR!

Fer gods sake man, grow ya chest hairs again!
Old 03 April 2004, 12:16 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i can assure you the TVR was a ****e ownership experience...i expect the TT to be better...when i find one!

T

perhaps you lot are a little insecure in yourselves.....do you find it hard to watch graham norton without getting a little confused?
Old 03 April 2004, 12:20 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03 April 2004, 12:48 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

If you want a fast 'proper'(rwd) roadster with good build quality and great reliability, 60 in 5.5, roof down or up in SIX seconds then look no further than the S2000. Save you getting all the gay jokes too
Old 03 April 2004, 12:55 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

I agree with Dracoro, S2000 is a far nicer, rarer, and quicker car, that doesnt have the image associated with the TT (if that bothers you at all) (plus roof down/up in 6 seconds!!).

I looked at a TT dealership before buying the S2k, and there were so many TT's for sale it was frightening!! there lot was full, they are seriously everywhere, and arent a very good performance car (in so far as driver involvement, RWD, sharp handling etc).

Saying that, if performance isnt your main criteria, then they are a nice stylish car with decent performance and I imagine good for long hauls.

PS: chicks do dig them!! thats one thing for sure, mention a TT to a girl and they always seem to love them. Small consideration, but thought id add that

Last edited by SideShowBob; 03 April 2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03 April 2004, 12:59 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Tiggs - I don't care what image the TT has - at the end of the day, they are common as muck - even more common than Scoobs
Can you stretch to a Boxster? Regardless of anyone's opinion of the Porker, it has Class of which the TiTTy can only dream of
Old 03 April 2004, 01:23 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

s2000 is half the size inside of a TT...as is the boxster, they are like sitting in a lotus 7.....TT is nice and roomy!
Old 03 April 2004, 01:30 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Room is over rated
Old 03 April 2004, 01:48 PM
hawki
Scooby Newbie

Alot of reverse snobbery on this site
Funny how the 1.8t'd seats and Skoda's get so much praise from ex Scooby owners and the TT gets called slow and gay TT with a simple remap for £400-500 kicks out 270 - 280 bhp with upto 300 lbs of torque more power than a boxter and S2000 - slap on Jabba's IHI kit and you have a 350 bhp manchine which doesn't need any internal engine mods.

Suspension set up is easily sorted and the Steering rack is the same as the r32, again funny how the steering on the R32 gets good reviews but not in the TT

As for the car being gay
there are just as many
scoobs, evo's tvrs BMW's etc etc outside the gay clubs that i go to :-)
Old 03 April 2004, 01:57 PM
Scoobs_4ever
Scooby Regular

What about a Z3M Roadster or Z3M Coupe - old hat I know but v.quick.
Old 03 April 2004, 02:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple 500 quid remap, I am ordering a chip for my Fiat Coupe Turbo from the owners club, 30 quid for a fully devloped chip available in different flavours to suit your existing mods, add a boost gauge and pressure relief valve you have 260+ bhp for about 100 quid.

The TT is probably better in many ways than the Fiat/Scoob but they are just so common and the owners always seem like fashion victims, they were so cool when they came out, like a mini exotic but now its a bit of a trinket which is a shame because they are good. Dont get the 180 bhp one as I could match speed with one in my old MK2 Golf GTI.

I think calling the TT gay is a bit pathetic, its just become a bit of a non car persons/non petrolhead statement and it gives out no vibes to the likes of Scoob owners so they cant deal with it, slap a few spoliers and Greddy stickers on it and it would become cool again. I suppose you see men driving it but by and large these men arent 'blokes', they are usually well dressed, well groomed and have money but they wouldnt know their dump valve from their Paul Smith loafers which really p1sses the average rally slag off, doesnt really relate to their sexual preferences though and I suppose the average TT owner would get way more women anyway, in fact I think that the whole blokey/car/Turbo/Max Power/Scoob thing may well just be to attract other men so in fact I supect there is more homesexuality represented on Scoobynet than in the entire male TT ownership.
Old 03 April 2004, 02:12 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

..it would probably get a bit more respect if it wasn't just a golf in a cheap suit
Old 03 April 2004, 02:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

as opposed to a scoob which wears a shell suit?

the respect thing is so isolated to a narrow group is funny!

the only "petrolheads" i know are on here...and i dont know any of you!

the people i see everyday- at work, home, driving round at the weekend and normal humans! when i got the scoob- which i traded from a focus many ppl thought i was trying to save money!

i may not impress car mad chavs in a TT but the rest of the world will like it

T

ps- nice answe j4cko
Old 03 April 2004, 02:46 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I dont call them gay personally, just saying how a lot people think of them really, to me they're a good fast(ish) car that sells well.
Not my cup of tea personally, feel they're more for comfortable cruising, which is ideal if thats what you're after Tiggs, and I also dont like the idea of having to upgrade this that and the next thing to get to what the car should have been in the first place, I prefer to buy a car where the manufacturer did that from the start, but overall the TT isnt a bad car.

Reliable and solid too, sounds like you're sold on one, so go for it, im sure you'll have fun with it.
Old 03 April 2004, 03:07 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

6 months ago my brother bought one of the new 1.8 turbo TTs and it looked like a nice car, it was the soft top but not my cup of tea. It went reasonably well and I for one won't be slagging off TT owners taste, lets be honest the scooby is hardly the best car to come off a designers drawing board.

Last week he traded it in for the new 3.2 6 cylinder Audi TT roadster and I have to admit it is a very fine car. Haven't driven it myself yet but as a passenger it seemed quick enough, good exhaust note, sequential shift, auto and paddle shift gearchange suits all tastes and you haven't got to spend £2000 to make it look like it goes. 18" wheels are standard. Ride is certainly superior to my Sti MY02 though I won't be trading the old girl in just yet

Mike
Old 03 April 2004, 04:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

may be going for the 3.2 dsg now....dont want to spoil my cruisin' with all that clutch/leg stuff!
Old 03 April 2004, 06:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

IMHO TTs are vastly under-rated by people with blinkers for AWD rally replica Jap boxes.
Old 03 April 2004, 06:50 PM
JayBee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
i can assure you the TVR was a ****e ownership experience...i expect the TT to be better...when i find one!

T

perhaps you lot are a little insecure in yourselves.....do you find it hard to watch graham norton without getting a little confused?
Jeez boys

Only jesting

Horses for courses. Anyone who appreciates petrol is OK!

Can I take my flame suit off now?

Sorry you had a bad TVR experience. Most Marques have their issues.

J

PS Graham Norton, quite like him in a non biblical sense ;-)
Old 03 April 2004, 06:54 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Quite right, 20 years ago I was driving a 350 power valve and couldn't understand why the whole population weren't boy racer bikers. Back to the present day and I have a passion for scoobies, not because it's the best car, although it's certainly good VFM but because of the commoradary that goes with being an owner.

The same can be said about TT's. From the Audi TT owners forum it is clear they have a large following with meets and banter like Scoobnet.
Old 03 April 2004, 07:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

oooh, you should see the Conga they do as well.....
Old 03 April 2004, 08:07 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
oooh, you should see the Conga they do as well.....
ROTFLMAO. I used to own a TT 225. found it to be quite a good car, well built, nice interior, good'ish performance, but they dont command the same respect as the Scoob, its just the image thing really. Both are excellent cars in their own way.

Last edited by Clubscene; 03 April 2004 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03 April 2004, 08:52 PM
def
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clubscene
ROTFLMAO. I used to own a TT 225. found it to be quite a good car, well built, nice interior, good'ish performance, but they dont command the same respect as the Scoob, its just the image thing really. Both are excellent cars in their own way.
TT,rx8,350z,s2000 there all in the same price range(ish).
And im afraid the tt would be the bottom of any petrol heads list.

Love all cars and think the gay thing is just banter i dont think its means any thing.
Old 03 April 2004, 09:22 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

rx8 and nissan have a roof...so not really in the same class as a roadster...the s2000 is tiny and also not what a soft top is about.....having to do 12000000rpm is all a bit frantic for a roadster.
Old 04 April 2004, 12:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

well in my TT V6 DSG versus Z4 3.0 SMG battle the Audi is in the lead.....on the basis that the BMW dealer i just spoke with thought the Z4 came with SSG and not SMG....in fact he then explained he couldnt remember which was a manual auto and which was an auto manual out of their steptronic/smg1/smg2/ssg options?????

moron!

T

edit to add:

audi back on top...their dealer said- have one for the day!

Last edited by Tiggs; 04 April 2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04 April 2004, 03:07 PM
Roger Woods
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well I have both a Scooby (00 mdl Turbo) and a New TT Cab 150.

TT is a well put together car but I do prefer the Scooby as a drivers car.

Both have good/bad points!!!

Come on lads, remember when it was the RS2000 vs the Dolly Sprint a few years back.

World peace!!
Old 05 April 2004, 01:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

'remember when it was the RS2000 vs the Dolly Sprint a few years back.'

Might as well compare Stevensons Rocket to the Babbage difference engine.

Roger I doubt most n here would remember that, few years back, thats getting on for thirty years ago, anyway you could call the Scoob an RS 2000, i.e a Rally Sports 2000 cc and the TT is definitely a 'Dolly Sprint'
Old 05 April 2004, 01:59 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just been out for a drive with my mate in his...as he threw it round the corners (no hint of grip letting go- no body roll, felt VERY stable) he made an intreresting point about the handling/drive....he said that for him- not a stunning driver by any standards- he got more fun out of a safe handling car with loads of grip than he would out of a rwd car where oversteer would put him in a ditch backwards......on that basis the TT is the better handling car for him....and its him that drives it!

T
Old 05 April 2004, 04:14 PM
redevo
Scooby Regular

Their a birds car the coupe less so but the roadster most certainly is oh yes. If your gonna go topless it's got to be a Ferrari otherwize it's a hairdressers car.

Quick Reply: Audi TT test drive!