Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VX220 Turbo 48Hr Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2004, 11:15 AM
chump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry VX220 Turbo 48Hr Test Drive

Ok so I've just turned 25 and according to the website I'm eligible for the 48hr test drive which costs £175 but you must sort out your own insurance.

I've contacted my insurance company and they tell me that they don't insure people for 'Test Drives' and no other insurance company will either. So I'm thinking how the hell do I get a test drive if I can't get insured and why would they tell you to get your own insurance if you actually can't get any.

So I phone the local dealer and they tell me that Vauxhall themselves can sort me out some insurance for the test drive. Great I think - until I phone them and they say that they won't touch anyone under 30. FFS!

So in a word Vauxhall are lying on their website - it would appear that you must be 30+ not 25+ and that you have to get insurance through them....unless anyone can tell me any different.

Cheers
Chump
Old 01 April 2004, 12:17 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Phone your insurance company and tell them you want to add the 220 as a temporary car on Fully Comp cover to your insurance for a day. You don't need to tell them why so if they ask just say because you have one available to you for the day and will be making use of it. No more, no less. Of course the fact your company has a record of your previous conversation means you might want to leave it a few months.
Old 01 April 2004, 01:04 PM
Vette_76
Scooby Regular

Location: On Mars...in a cave....with my eyes shut....and my fingers in my ears!!

For a start I'd ring Vauxhall and demand to know why their policy is not to touch under 30's for insurance, when it clearly states 25 and over on the website!!

Don't get arsey - just tell them it's not acceptable, you were seriously considering buying a VX220, but if you can't test drive it - you'll have to go down the road to the Lotus dealer!!

They'll probably just say sorry and tell you the website is wrong - but you never know, you might get somewhere!!
Old 01 April 2004, 01:20 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

get a decent ins comapany- mine often insure me for tests
Old 01 April 2004, 03:02 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Most companies should be able to do the method Saxo Boy suggests.

Make sure you get a car with over 1000 miles on it!!! The engines don't start to lossen up untill then, and I hear they don't reach their full potential until closer to 10000 miles.
Mine has now done 3000 and the difference from the first car I test drove is incredable.

When I test drove mine I was given a car with 27 miles on the clock and was very dissapointed with it. I spoke to the guys on the vx220.org.uk forums who gave me loads of advise and even set up a local meet of about 20 cars so I could have a nosey. Great bunch of people

I was the proud owner of an STI 5 TypeR V-Limited, and I traded it in for a VX220 Turbo. I have never looked back since.
Sure the TypeR is an awsome car, but it just doesn't compare to my VX. I don't think I can say I ever put nearly 1000 miles a week on my scoob. I just can't stop driving my VX, it really is that good.

Hope to see you on www.vx220.org.uk in the near future

Last edited by Gedi; 01 April 2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01 April 2004, 06:08 PM
ScoobyTal
Scooby Regular

So you have to pay for a test drive !!!!
Old 01 April 2004, 10:07 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

no, not for the normal test drives that last a few hours. Only the 48 hour ones as you take the car home with you for a few days, effectivly hiring it out.

Trending Topics

Old 02 April 2004, 08:56 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

A selection of Vauxhall Agila, Corsa, Meriva, Astra, Astra Coupé, Astra Convertible, Zafira, Vectra and Signum models is available for the 48hr Test Drive. The VX220 Turbo is currently excluded from the programme. Although Vauxhall Motors Limited will endeavour to provide Drivers with their preferred choice of model (as indicated on the voucher) this may not always be possible if the model has already been allocated to another Driver. In such cases Drivers can either wait until the vehicle becomes available or select an alternative.
I just looked on the website and look what is says now
Old 02 April 2004, 09:36 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

So in effect hiring a car for £87.50 a day. Not cheap is it!