Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MG ZR X-Power

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2004, 07:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MG ZR X-Power

Saw something recently about a 200 odd bhp Rover 25, my dad seems very keen on this, anybody else seen this or did I imagine it ?
Old 31 March 2004, 07:40 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Janspeed do a conversion on the VVC engine which was 190bhp.
Mind you, the standard engine is nice enough to be honest
Old 31 March 2004, 09:06 PM
Eder22b
Scooby Regular

My younger brother has one...one of the worst ******* cars i've ever been in, honest!
Old 31 March 2004, 09:37 PM
jackbrm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eder22b
My younger brother has one...one of the worst ******* cars i've ever been in, honest!
nothing wrong with them
Old 31 March 2004, 11:25 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Cool

J4CKO,

I wonder if he has in mind the K2000? IIRC, this is a race spec - rebuild each season?- highly stressed motor. There are rumours that a road spec version may be made available to the public at some stage.

I think some of the MG ZSs in this seasons BTCC will be fitted with the K2000 race powerplant instead of/addition to? the K-V6 motors.

Be interesting to see how these four-pot lumps fare compared to the sixes.

On the subject of old Rovers: Picked up a copy of AutoDistress recently. Issue 799 24th march in fact which includes their "Britain's ultimate car reliability and satisfaction survey". The Top 100 cars were assessed. I rarely pay much attention to these things as they concentrate on one-two-three year old cars only. In my books, all cars in that age group should be both reliable and give satisfaction. Had they done a similar survey on 5-7 year old cars, that would have more credence for me.

Even so, in the Top 100 Handling category, the MG ZR (10th), ZS (6th) and ZT (8th) all figured in the top ten of this Top 100. Not bad for three "Tarted up" old Rovers ....

In the performance stakes, owner-punters rated the MG ZS in 6th place of the Top 100, behind the S2000 (1st), VX220, 911, Impreza and XJ (5th) and one ahead of the Boxster in 7th place....

Running costs produced an interesting result in the Top 100: Legacy 99th and Impreza 100th! Now there's a thing...
Old 31 March 2004, 11:27 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

eder555 Wrote:

>>My younger brother has one...one of the worst ******* cars i've ever been in, honest!<<

I believe ya ....
Old 01 April 2004, 06:00 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Default some balance

You handily fail to mention that the Rover 25 was 87th (all out of 100) in the handling category, 88th in ease of driving,88th in reliability, 93rd in build quality etc etc.

The MGZR came 99th in build quality, 76th in reliability- great figures eh?

Wonder if perhaps you are a bit BIASED mgjohn?

As for the Impreza it is expensive to run but it seems to rate highly in this survey taken by autoexpress. I suppose if you can't afford it then you could make do with some unreliable piece of motoring history- like a ZR or 25
Old 01 April 2004, 08:38 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, 'MG' John vs. the known MG hater NACRO - it's gonna get messy
Old 01 April 2004, 09:05 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

MG are talking of introducing factory power upgrades of upto and over 200bhp, but nothing concrete has been announced as yet. You could try pestering the dealers, but i doubt they have they will have a clue about it.
Old 01 April 2004, 09:54 AM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

Auto Express is good for when you run out of bog roll but nothing else.
Old 01 April 2004, 11:32 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Much like most car magazines.......

However if someone wants to quote parts of a report out of context to satisfy some not-so hidden agenda then I'd prefer to balance their reportage with some of the other 'facts' rather than let them get away it.

PS I'm not an MG hater- it's just that their cars are mostly total and utter crap.
Old 01 April 2004, 11:48 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

I agree that the ZR is built pretty poorly however surely the majority of us are performance car / driving fans and they did seem to rate pretty highly so should be praised...

TVR's are pretty poorly made and have horrific reliability in my experience however given the choice of a utterly reliable, boring, crap euro / jap box with no character, or a drivers car such as a TVR then I'd take the drivers car everytime....The ZR is much improved over a 25 however they are still behind their main competitors IMO

As for the Impreza it is expensive to run but it seems to rate highly in this survey taken by autoexpress. I suppose if you can't afford it then you could make do with some unreliable piece of motoring history- like a ZR or 25
LOL, remind us how much your old nails cost again Nacro, combined I bet you would just be able to buy a ZR
Old 01 April 2004, 11:52 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

The ZR is ok, dont forget its a ten grand car, not a 15/20 grand car, they go and handle well enough, bit of an old design but so what you dont get anything significantly better for ten grand and judging by the number you see enough people are buying them.

AutoExpress isnt any god for bog paper, way to shiny and where else would you read a group test of inspection lights.

MGJohn/NACRO - PLAY NICELY !
Old 01 April 2004, 12:13 PM
NACRO
BANNED

You need reminding.....OK

So far for my Impreza, one major service costing £300, and 4 oil services costing about £50 each. Not bad for 40,000+ miles of fast motoring. Also one performance chip upgrade £50, set of secondhand 17" wheels with newish Toyos on them £200. Did I mention main dealer labour rates are €32(£21) per hour here?

Seems dirt cheap to me for a car that will blow most things into the weeds while being able to carry all my lifestyle kit (bodyboard, snowboard, skis etc).

My other cars haven't cost a bean, in fact I've just scrapped an old MK2 Golf that cost me about £200 in servicing over the last 60K miles. It's replacement a LHD 205 GTI should be good for another 30K miles or so before it dies, all for €500.

All in all cheaper and more rewarding than fashion accessory ownership will have been for you, despite BMW's generous £500 deal.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:20 PM
BeverleyJM
Scooby Regular

Here's the spec announced at Autosport, if you're interested

Engine:
2.0 litre K-series developed in conjunction with Judd (available with a choice of engine outputs between 160 and 250ps).
Transmission:
5-speed close Ratio Gearbox (available with a choice of ratios)
Helical gears
LSD with 3.65 Final Drive
Competition Clutch
Suspension:
Fully adjustable
Springs - Eibach
Dampers - Xpower
Brakes:
Front - ventilated Grooved 310mm Discs
Rear - Solid Grooved 280mm discs
Wheels
18" x 7.5J alloy
Tyres
Dunlop 215/35 ZR 18
Steering:
Rack & pinion
Kerb weight:
1050 Kgs
Colour:
Black Olive Pearlescent
Trim:
Alcantara
Price:
Dependent on Specification
Old 01 April 2004, 02:17 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
All in all cheaper and more rewarding than fashion accessory ownership will have been for you, despite BMW's generous £500 deal
Whats the £500 BMW deal you refer to.....?? The TLC package is £100 if thats what you meant

Oh and the MINI is a cracking little car not just a fashion accessory you are so keen to refer to, best Hot Hatch according to EVO....

Good news they will fit a LSD to the ZR 200hp if it comes off
Old 01 April 2004, 03:00 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Don't think j4cko said any of the stuff you attribute to him and the £100 deal you refer to was the same one I meant, a mere typo a bit like your attributing those comments to j4cko eh?

Wouldn't apply to your car either if BMW found out you had been screwing with it, whatever your local dealer says.

I agree the mini is a great car, it just has its limitations. The MG ZR on the other hand-bag of sh1te.
Old 01 April 2004, 03:14 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Fishing again Nacro? I now see why you got the Impreza wagon - get the rod in the back of it easily.

MG-Rover need to offset all their recent bad publicity with the replacement for the 45, and ensure it's made to the same standards as the 75. The MG models are doing well in these surveys at the moment, but the age and limitations of the cars on which they're based will surely tell soon. In fact, the ZR is already suffering...
Old 01 April 2004, 03:14 PM
BeverleyJM
Scooby Regular

The MG ZR on the other hand-bag of sh1te.
I like mine

Last edited by BeverleyJM; 01 April 2004 at 03:15 PM. Reason: cos my smiley wouldn't work!
Old 01 April 2004, 03:36 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I do go fishing from time to time- none of this namby pamby stuff though, strictly big game, oh and on scoobynet a steady stream of peckers.
Old 01 April 2004, 06:06 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Narky WROTE...

>>You handily fail to mention that the Rover 25 was 87th (all out of 100) in the handling category, 88th in ease of driving,88th in reliability, 93rd in build quality etc etc.

The MGZR came 99th in build quality, 76th in reliability- great figures eh?

Wonder if perhaps you are a bit BIASED mgjohn?<<

Too right Narky .... I was DELIBERATELY selective because my bait was sure to attract small fry! Hey! Nearly a pun! ...

I knew you'd highlight the NEGATIVITY. You obviously have read the reports. If you ever fancied a job in our anti-British Negativity infested British Media, particularly the BBC, you'd fly in..... you have all the necessary qualities, including a penchant for alien lands....

YOU WILL NEVER GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT'S DUE....... shame on you!
Old 01 April 2004, 06:57 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Another pecker takes the bait..................

Of course I give credit where it's due, the 75 is a great car by all accounts.
There you go, didn't hurt a bit
Old 01 April 2004, 07:02 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Of course I give credit where it's due, the 75 is a great car by all accounts.
There you go, didn't hurt a bit
Yeh! it's agreat car for the over 75's!!!!!!
dave

Flame suit at the ready!!
Old 01 April 2004, 07:38 PM
Eder22b
Scooby Regular

Guys there is no doubt about it. MG's are cr@p!!!!
Old 01 April 2004, 07:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yawwwwnnnnnnnn, same old comments every time MG Rover are mentioned, I only asked about the new model, nobody is trying to persuade you to buy one !
Old 01 April 2004, 10:06 PM
jackbrm
Scooby Regular

Having owned a Rover 200 BRM and MG ZR, now have a MY99 UK Turbo, and all I can say is the impreza turbo build quality is pure crap compared with Rover's.
Old 01 April 2004, 10:16 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Yawwwwnnnnnnnn, same old comments every time MG Rover are mentioned, I only asked about the new model, nobody is trying to persuade you to buy one !
On the subject of old Rovers: Picked up a copy of AutoDistress recently. Issue 799 24th march in fact which includes their "Britain's ultimate car reliability and satisfaction survey". The Top 100 cars were assessed. I rarely pay much attention to these things as they concentrate on one-two-three year old cars only. In my books, all cars in that age group should be both reliable and give satisfaction. Had they done a similar survey on 5-7 year old cars, that would have more credence for me.

Even so, in the Top 100 Handling category, the MG ZR (10th), ZS (6th) and ZT (8th) all figured in the top ten of this Top 100. Not bad for three "Tarted up" old Rovers ....

In the performance stakes, owner-punters rated the MG ZS in 6th place of the Top 100, behind the S2000 (1st), VX220, 911, Impreza and XJ (5th) and one ahead of the Boxster in 7th place....

Running costs produced an interesting result in the Top 100: Legacy 99th and Impreza 100th! Now there's a thing...
Because of crap like this from evangelist John...

Having owned a Rover 200 BRM and MG ZR, now have a MY99 UK Turbo, and all I can say is the impreza turbo build quality is pure crap compared with Rover's
Ah another one...it's the user names that give you away

Oh MGJohn, I own an MG...
Old 01 April 2004, 10:55 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I was going to buy a MG ZS 180 until the insurance dropped dramatically on purchasing my scoob
I test drove one for 2 weeks & its a brilliant all round car only thing that lets it down (like the evo) is its dash
For 15k (including all the options you want) its a brilliant car & to be honest i wish they sold more as its a vastly underestimate car

My 2p's worth

sti-04!!
Old 02 April 2004, 01:42 AM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

>>Because of crap like this from evangelist John...<<

What unoriginal Crap from bloke .... those are NOT my observations, I merely accurately reproduced the results from the AutoExpress magazine involved with the survey.....I did NOT embellish them in any way ....you don't like 'em .... Tough ...... Pheasant!

Those results were compiled from 40,000 owners and drivers of those Top 100 cars. I did not participate with my cars because as I said in my previous response, in my books ALL cars should be reliable and provide satisfactory service not only for the first 1-2-3 years, but well beyond. How they fare after 5-7 years is of greater interest to me.

When a relative wanted to replace her Rover Metro with a new car she was unable to buy another new one thanks then to alien controls at Rover and thus purchased the similar sized Saxo. With the two cars side by side (the Rover is still in the family and still going strong) comparisons were easy to make and I remarked on the less substantial build, indeed 'tinniness' comes to mind, of the French product. When I wrote that here on Other Marques two years ago, several anti-Brits responded with something like: "you're avin a larf m8 aint cher?". The Saxo placed 100 (that's bottom!) in the Build Quality category! The similar 106 a close 96th! What a turn up for the books.... I dont think! Some people will never learn!

Amazes me the widespread anti-british attitudes which now permeate our once green and pleasant. Whatever next, they'll be letting in shed loads of aliens I bet .... wont that improve matters!....

I bought my first new Japanese vehicle 40 years ago. Probably whilst most readers here were still immature ova stored in their mother's ovaries. I sold it recently for four times what I paid for it! Unlike some of those who've participated with almost orgasmic anti-british responses on these threads, I am above all a transport enthusiast. None of this 'them and us' business for me. I like both MGs and Rovers, Subarus and many many others. I also have more than one car ... For all you know I could drive a different one each day of the week and still have some to spare if I so desired...... Roll on August 12th ... Pheasants!

to those anti-brits I say this...Please try harder.... and open those eyes... as DelBoy once said: There's none so blind who will not listen ...

and Remember .... Safety Fast whatever you drive.... It really is the only way to travel.
Old 02 April 2004, 06:44 AM
NACRO
BANNED

grandad said: "When I wrote that here on Other Marques two years ago, several anti-Brits responded with something like: "you're avin a larf m8 aint cher?". The Saxo placed 100 (that's bottom!) in the Build Quality category! The similar 106 a close 96th! What a turn up for the books.... I dont think! Some people will never learn!"

and the MGZR was 99th............why do you not feel able to comment on this p1ss poor performance? Afraid you might have to give criticism where criticism is due?

Anyway this is all academic MGR is going to be nothing more than a faintly stinky memory sooner rather than later, a bit like an old relative hived off into a retirement home eh mg john?

Quick Reply: MG ZR X-Power