Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Performance, reliability for upto £5k, suggestions please.

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2004, 05:49 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance, reliability for upto £5k, suggestions please.

OK I already know what I have in mind, for £5k, a classic scooby WRX is accessible, and quite appealing among various other options.

I quite like the civic vti as its' cheap to run, insure, and it has that wolf in sheeps clothing appeal, however they're pretty pricey, and for the same money you could have scoob, so not a hard choice there.

I love the JDM mk2 MR2 turbo (post 94') but they're cramped, small and a bit impractical, would be nice ot have passengers.

Not too hot on front wheel drive hot hatches, they're a pain from new, and I don't want a pre-owned pre-ragged clio or pug etc, not cause i dont rate them, but because I personally feel they don't have the reliablity of pre-owned pre-ragged jap cars.

That said a friend of mine has a Volvo T5 850, a car I would not of dreamed of looking at, but again it has that wolf in sheeps clothing appeal, and not so savage to insure as hotter cars so to speak. They kick out about 250bhp, but you can wind the turbo up to 300 odd withou evening spending any money which is also quite appealling! The reason I consider them, is they do massive milleage and are quite well put together, he has had his from new and rags it, with 350bhp being forced through the front wheels and you can pick one up for as little as £2k!

Any suggestions welcome....
Old 11 March 2004, 05:55 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

What are you after?

Cheap insurance?
3/4/5 door car?
4 comfortable seats?
FWD/RWD/4WD?
Speed?
Style?
Any Marques you won't consider?
Old 11 March 2004, 06:00 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Sorry could of been more specific.

I am mostly after performance, comfort and styling is a bonus, cheap to buy and insure a must.

I quite like the more neglected and misunderstood cars, as you can get some bargins, such as nissan 200sx (boring as pants) but quite a good performer, and should be fairly reliable. AWD volvo T5 similar reasons. HONDA PRELUDE 2.2 VTI was another thought...

RWD and AWD are my preference, but will consider decent FWD cars with good chassis. If I had the cash I would love an Intergra type R, but I can't really go over the £5k mark, as insurnace is still an issues for me because of my lack of NC bonus.

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
What are you after?

Cheap insurance?
3/4/5 door car?
4 comfortable seats?
FWD/RWD/4WD?
Speed?
Style?
Any Marques you won't consider?

Last edited by mynickers; 11 March 2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11 March 2004, 06:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a VTI, i have had two a 1.6 and 1.8. Both great cars in every way.

Engines good for 200K if serviced regularly and 30MPG dropping to around 24 if you horse it.

They wear miles well.

My 1.8VTI 1998/S Aerodeck is for sale if you are interested 61K miles FSH, 1/2 leather interior, mint, all electrics, a/c 1.8 engine with LSD (std on the 1.8) in pirates black. £5k might just do it.
Old 11 March 2004, 07:32 PM
Mark in Ireland
Scooby Regular

Saab 9000 Aero, spacious, comfortable, huge carrying capacity, very quick with easy hp/torque upgrades and engines that last and last. Go for 1994 onwards as the trionic ecu has multiple upgrades up to 440hp.
Old 11 March 2004, 08:02 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

WRX

Old 11 March 2004, 08:24 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Clio Williams,

Its a bit small, and you might look hard for a minter, but they are 'collectable' (valued by what people are willing to pay) and if the suspension is in good nick apparently ist one higher thatn the P1 in the top 10 ever driving stakes (According to this months EVO mag).

Trending Topics

Old 11 March 2004, 08:37 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

You can have my Saab 9-3 Turbo for £5500 - coupe, 185BHP (easily chipped) aircon, leather etc etc.. utterly reliable and smooth and the torque suprises civic type R's etc

Old 11 March 2004, 10:25 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

N14 sunny/pulsar gtir
Everything you could want exept the insurance issue and styling is a little on the dull/dated side(you can make them look good if you have enough left)
Just a thaught
Old 11 March 2004, 11:32 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mynickers
I quite like the more neglected and misunderstood cars, as you can get some bargins, such as nissan 200sx (boring as pants) but quite a good performer, and should be fairly reliable. AWD volvo T5 similar reasons. HONDA PRELUDE 2.2 VTI was another thought...

RWD and AWD are my preference, but will consider decent FWD cars with good chassis. If I had the cash I would love an Intergra type R, but I can't really go over the £5k mark, as insurnace is still an issues for me because of my lack of NC bonus.
I'm suprised you think the 200SX is boring!! It hought it would be quite entertaining with the backend trying to overtake you, whenever it even LOOKS like rain!

For £5k, I would look at:

S14 200SX - RWD, turbo fun, but group 18 insurance!
Nissan Sunny/Pulsar GTiR - AWD, turbo, but the insurance will be high!
Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC - FWD, group 17 insurance!
Subaru Impreza UK - AWD, group 17 insurance!
Subaru Impreza WRX - AWD, group 17-20 depending on broker!
Volvo 850 T-5 - FWD, group 16-17 insurance!

If you fancy something a little different and a bit cheaper, have a look at a Honda CRX! Better handling that the Prelude, cheaper insurance and they only weigh around 1000kg! Turbos can be added (around £2-3k to do it properly) and about £200 increase to my premium (but I have 5 years NCB)

Honda CRX 1.6 16v - 130bhp, group 12 and lots around the £1000-1200 mark.
Honda CRX 1.6 VT - 150bhp VTEC action and the same group 12! £2000 up.
Honda CRX 1.6 Si (Japanese import) - 130 bhp, group 12, air conditioning, power steering, lower mileage (as they are from Japan), £1500-up.
Honda CRX 1.6 SiR - 160bhp VTEC action! with air con, power steering, folding mirrors, lower mileage (as they are from Japan), check with your broker but normally group 13-14, £3000-up.

Last edited by Andy Tang; 11 March 2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12 March 2004, 01:12 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Andy - thanks for the fab list, saved me loads of home work!
It’s reassuring you’ve all mentioned cars I have thought about (and also some id’ forgotten about or overlooked).

The Pulsar, I would avoid on the basis of insurance mostly and also scare storey’s I have heard about engines blowing up

Crx I love, but it’s a 2 seater, and if I was going to go 2 seater I would defo go for an MR2 Turbo post 94’, they’re 250bhp standard and mid engined and rear wheel drive. 0-60 in around 5 secs, with a few minor tweaks you can get them sub 5, which is very, very quick for £5k!

But living in London, I can’t justify having a toy if it doesn’t have some practical uses, I don’t have back roads to plat down of an evening any more. That is a luxury when going somewhere out of town.

Having a car at all, has no financial or logical sense, it is purely a toy, but at the same time I need to be able to put more than one passenger, and some luggage in it too! Although I might be seduced by the right toy!
Old 12 March 2004, 01:17 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol
Clio Williams,

Its a bit small, and you might look hard for a minter, but they are 'collectable' (valued by what people are willing to pay) and if the suspension is in good nick apparently ist one higher thatn the P1 in the top 10 ever driving stakes (According to this months EVO mag).
YES, I love these cars, I had a discussion about one the other day, but I really don't have the know -how or the perserverance to find a minter, and they've all been ragged - no lady owners bought them to pop to sainsburys! Fantastic cars, and if I coudl find one I could feel confident about, I would defo get the cash out - and I would want to keep it!

I read this months evo - thats what made me think of them, and I remeber back in the day, they were being tested with much more expensive, and faster cars when they came out. They didnt get tested with hot hatches, but GT's. Very few horses, but the smile factor seemed to make up for htat. Those formula one boys, know their cars
Old 12 March 2004, 01:21 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
WRX

I mentioned them, the only thing that puts me off is the insurance it will be above £1k for me

Mrk2 MR2 Turbo (JDM) £600!
Old 12 March 2004, 01:56 AM
XT
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Toyota Soarer
three engine options:
1)2.5Twin Turbo
2)3.0 (same engine as the Normally aspirated Mk4 Supra)
3)4.0 V8 (same engine as the Lexus LS400)

Performance is there(not mind blowing but seriously quick)
Reliability = Toyota and Toyota = Reliability

Loads of standard equipment

Personally I like the looks. Some people might not.

Last edited by XT; 12 March 2004 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12 March 2004, 04:51 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

mynickers,

I am also looking for a car for up to 5K that is quick, fun and reliable, and have been looking at the same list as you.

I would be very tempted by the MR2 turbo but I have owned an NA Mr2 for 4 years so I need a change. Otherwise I would go for it. I am still considering but perhaps a bit too show-off 'boy-racer'.

I have pretty-much made up my mind that I will get the S14 200sx. They are fast, reliable, cheap (so you can get a good one), handle well(after suspension mods) and they are not too 'boyracer'.

I hate the look of the CRX. I thought about a good honda but they don't have the grunt, and the best one, the ITR, is a bit too expensive. Also, not so easy to mod a vtec.

I don't touch european cars so that rules out the pugs and the renaults.

Scooby, I would love one but for 5k you'd get a pretty old one whereas 5k on a 200sx gets you a reasonably new one. Plus they have an 'image'.
Old 12 March 2004, 10:18 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mynickers
Crx I love, but it’s a 2 seater, and if I was going to go 2 seater I would defo go for an MR2 Turbo post 94’,
The Mk2 CRX (small coupe one, rather the one with the removeable roof) does have a back seat, albeit a bookshelf!!

I have my seat right back, but I've managed to get someone in the back before!

I know what you mean about practical! The Ford Ka we have has now become the people carrier!!

If I remember correctly, you live in Kingston, so can pop over and have a look at the CRX if you want!
Old 12 March 2004, 10:38 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Find a tasty MK2 Golf GTi 16v, or a Corrado G60...

MB
Old 12 March 2004, 11:03 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Saab Turbos are around group 16-18 depending on model!

I'm a fan of the mk2 Golf GTI 8v, good handling, cheap to modify and less running issues compared to the 16v. Only 112bhp on the 8v compared to the 137bhp (IIRC) on the 16v. Group 14 for the 8v, group 15 for the 16v.

Consider a mk3 Golf VR6, leather, air con, group 16 insurance, fantastic engine, excellent for the longer journeys, but not the best at the country lane stuff.

Corrado's - 16v underpowered IMHO (group 15), G60 (group 16) but high milers can have supercharger issues, VR6 (group 17) but it might be out of your budget to get a good one!

Peugeot 306 - Rallye (no air con or leather) or GTI-6 (group 16, I think) a fantastic handling car, but there are reliability issues.
Old 12 March 2004, 12:25 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Pug 306 Rallye / GTi6 would be my choice if I had to downgrade, they reckon the handling as top class... Although I do hate French cars, so it would be against my morals

MB
Old 12 March 2004, 12:36 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

In the last year I've had:

Mk2 Golf GTI 8v (lowered, exhaust and filter)
Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0 8v (exhaust and filter)
UK Impreza (17" wheels, full exhaust and filter)
Honda CRX 1.6 16v (filter and 15" wheels)

I have to say that out of all of them, the CRX is the most fun car to drive.

It handles fantasically, better than the others. Not having power steering is a pain at low speeds, but the feedback is incredible.

Not as much power as the Subaru, but lots quicker than Golf and 306! The midrange pick up is fantastic!
Old 12 March 2004, 12:49 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Common problems with 306's:

Radiator (they might as well be made of chocolate!!)
Brakes (OEM/Patent disks warp very easily, even if not driven hard)
ECU (was a problem on some of the earlier GTI-6's, even the Evo test car!)
Wheels (standard wheels can be hard to balance correctly, due to design and offset!)
Air conditioning (standard on the GTI-6, have pipe problems with the replacements being very expensive)
Front windows (they are held up by a small plastic clip and break easily - I replaced it twice on one window in 4 months, but I think it was a worn window rubber)
3 door rear windows (mine leaked slightly on an 8 year old car with about 66k on hte clock!)

Exhaust and filter mods can make the GTI-6/Rallye's run very lean!
Old 12 March 2004, 12:50 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Well I'm really suprised no one from the Fiat Coupe forum has posted yet

Also worth looking at VW Corado VR6.

Both VR6 and Coupes were considered better than 200SX and Prelude during the group tests of the time. Have to say the 200SX has the best tuning options out of the four though.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 12 March 2004, 01:03 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

My vote is the 200sx all the way, they are rock solid, look great and are a whole heap of fun and easy to get more power out of them

pulsar gtir's are a bit of a grey area, bad image (loads of 1.6's made to look like gtir's and driven by chav's) and the bottom end on the engine is notoriously weak

saab's are the stylish choice but the 200 is a lot more aggressive to drive

James
Old 12 March 2004, 01:04 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Andy (tang)
Are you talking about the old shape CRX (came out in late 80's). They were great looking cars. Can you actually still get them???
Old 12 March 2004, 01:07 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

The newer CRX is gayer than gay Gayer than a hairdresser with a feather duster

MB
Old 12 March 2004, 01:09 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Just did a search and found you were talking about the old one. I want one! Liked them since I got overtaken by one at silly speeds in Hong Kong in 1990.
Old 12 March 2004, 01:21 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

There is one on autotrader with 190BHP! 3 grand.
Old 12 March 2004, 01:32 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Like the old one.

MB
Old 12 March 2004, 01:53 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I have a mk2 CRX, they were made between 1988 and 1992.

The mk1's are getting harder and harder to fine in reasonable condition, and limited parts availability are making them more and more difficult to run on a budget!

There are plenty of mk2's about, and they are popular in the States (although they are SOHC, so some parts are not interchangeable with the UK DOHC 16v engines) so there are lots of tuning bits about.

A mk2 16v with an MOT will sell from around £800-1200, up to £2k for a minter. (VTEC's start from £1500 for the doggy ones, up to £4500 for the minters). There will be common issues like rust on the sunroof, rust on the rear arches, corroded alloy wheels, rear boot struts that can't keep the boot open, water leaks (from rear clusters or rear washer jet), loose steering (tighten up one nut!), brake calipers seize, flappy heatsheilds, and mileage as the last runs are now 12 years old!

Mine is a 1991, 1.6 16v (130bhp) with air con (£700 option when new) and there is no rust on the body, just on the sunroof. Some minor bodywork needs doing, only issue with the engine is that is a little noisy on start up, but I'm doing the valve clearances this weekend! Not a bad little car for £1000!!!

Loads of information here at: CRX-UK Forum but remember to search first or you will be told to, if you ask a question covered a few times before!

Last edited by Andy Tang; 12 March 2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12 March 2004, 02:13 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

My car is similar to this one:

Bear in mind this one has had a £1000 respray!!

Quick Reply: Performance, reliability for upto £5k, suggestions please.