Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

03 reg Vectra DTi or Y reg Passat PD?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2004, 05:30 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 reg Vectra DTi or Y reg Passat PD?

After months of mulling about trying to decide whether to go for a company car, or opt out, I'm thinking of opting out and getting a 52 / 03 reg Vectra 2.0DTi.

What BHP are the 2.0 DTi's - read somewhere they were 100BHP - is that right? Does the car struggle with that power, or is that ample? Am I better stretching to a 2.2 DTi?

Are these cars turning out to be reliable? What Car's website shows the Combined MPG for the 2.0 DTi to be 47 - which is ample for me (used to 30mpg in my petrol Passat).

I've tried asking on MigWeb, though they are just coming back and telling me how good the VW Diesels are, and nothing about the Vectra's!

Just over £8k gets me a 03 reg new shape 2.0DTi LS Vectra hatch (13k miles), or something like this:

"2001 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 1.9 S TDI 130 5dr Estate Pearlescant blue, FVWSH, Serviced every 4 mnths, 1 company owner, Climate, CD, Airbags, Easy motorway miles. Call Pete. 90000 miles"

Nearly new Vectra with low miles or 3 year old Passat diesel with 70-100k miles?

Anyone got one? What are your thoughts?
Old 10 March 2004, 05:50 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

There is a very good reason why the Vectra is that sort of money, they are not that nice. The VW engine is a stunner, and combined with the build quality an excellent used buy. The Vectra engine is a real chugger, it is indeed only 100hp and has about 2/3rd's of the torque of the VW, which means its left well behind in a traffic light grand prix. The 2.2 DTi has 125hp and about 200lb ft torque which again is slightly down on the VW, but economy takes a hit.

If you are looking for something of this size, and don't want a leggy VW, which is all you get for £8000, look at the Renault Laguna 1.9 dci 120, not as quick as the VW again, but better than a Vectra without a doubt. Then there is the Mondeo TDCi 115/130ps, as the TDCi is a stunning engine, just as powerful as the VW and quieter to boot, and with the Mondeo you get a car you will enjoy driving.

The VW Passat is an absolute dog to drive quickly, **** steering, awful suspension, and dodgy grip, but it should have ESP to help keep you on the road, below 7/10ths its quite comfy, above that, its pass the sick bag time.

If economy is your only yard stick, its got to be the VW, nothing else comes close to it, in which case you also consider the Skoda Octavia 110 TDi, but even these are holding their money in the used market.
Old 11 March 2004, 08:40 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Kevin,
I would echo Reffro's comments, just ask why the Vectras are cheap, the Engine is old Technology, the cars "ugly" IMO & they arent selling very well. If its cheap now it will be worth f*all in a couple of years

The VAG cars be it VW, SEAT, Audi or Skoda all share the same basic parts & the Engines are second to none IMO. We went down the same route & swapped a Petrol company Vectra shed for a Skoda Octavia 110 bhp a year ago. The car has been mapped by Jabba (£450) & is now 164 bhp, 393 N/m of torque, pulls indicated135 & yet averages 55 mpg & yes it gets used, Motorway driving we set the cruise at between 85-90 & around town its not treated gently. To give you an idea of performance its a good match for the lower spec audi TT's which I think are listed at 180 bhp but dont have all that lovely torque.(you can beat them !!!!!)
Weve done just over 30000 miles in a year & not a single problem, another plus is the variable servicing, the first service was at 29500 miles & cost just under £200 (long life oil isnt cheap)
If you can bear to drive a Skoda (re badged Audi I call it) the cost savings are massive. The present shape is due for a facelift in September & the dealers are already doing some stonking deals on new Octys so dont rule out new. They are also doing 0% finance & you get the usual 3 years/60000 warranty AA cover for 3 years etc. If you cant stretch to new then the s/hand prices will be forced down as the cost of the new ones is discounted to shift the last of the old shape
Old 11 March 2004, 10:15 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

If you go for a Passat, get the PD130 Sport, not the S or SE. The Sport has lowered suspension and handles much better -- much, much less understeer and more responsive. Oddly, I think it rides better too. All Sports will have a 6-speed box, you can't get it on the SE or S models.

Also the Sport has more torque, and this with the six-speed box makes it VERY light on fuel. Yesterday I did Macclesfield to Cambridge and back, point-to-point average over 60mph and got 53mpg

The Mondeo TDCi is also very good and likely to be cheaper / newer than the Passat. As said above the Mondeo is a better driver's car.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:29 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Looks like the Vectra's out of the equation then

I think I am better stretching to a VAG car - perfect one would be a PD130 Sport Estate 51 reg or newer (be nice to get a newer plate than the outgoing car). If I'd leased a Diesel Passat in the first place, I could have just bought that off the lease company! (Got a 2001 2.0SE Passat)

The Skoda badge definately does not bother me - my first choice for a company car, if I wimp out of the allowance, is a Skoda Superb PD130 Comfort. I have been looking at Octavia's too, though as someone said they are holding their value - to such an extent that same age Vectra's are cheaper!

I've seen a 52 reg Skoda Superb PD100 Classic with 13,000 miles for £9995 - very tempted at that sort of car too - albeit at a stretch.

At least, the newer the car, the more manufacturers warranty I'll get.

One of the car supermarket's is selling new Laguna's DCi's for less than £12k, (well it's either 11300 or 12300) so that may be worth a go too.

Thanks for everyone's input so far
Old 11 March 2004, 11:30 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say - I'll also consider the Mondeo, once I can bring myself to consider getting the same car as my neighbour, and the next but one, and the chap across the road
Old 11 March 2004, 02:37 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this Mondeo then, though you must be quick the sale ends in 5 hrs, but it gives you an idea of what's out there:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=9844