Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Modding a CTR?.......

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 11:35 PM
Dunc20
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Modding a CTR?.......

I have heard lots of bad things about engine modding CTR's. Even just simple mods like Induc'kit and Zorst can giv negative power gains.

Has anyone experienced this or heard similar stories.

Reason i ask is coz i am thinkin of gettin one, but would like to mod it.

Thanks.
Old 24 February 2004, 08:38 AM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Hi, I used to have a CTR 30AE, and I very frequently visited www.civictype-r.co.uk

It has a great forum, lots of nice and very helpful people. I must say that all the time I spent on the site I never once saw an article on negative power gains with induction kit etc. Check out the section on ICE mods and odds and sods > 'This is what I have done to my CTR'. It has a very helpful tuning guide at the top as a sticky...

Good luck, they are great cars, fantastic fun ... I'd probably still have mine, but a new arrival in the family forced me to upgrade to the much more sensible scooby
Old 24 February 2004, 08:47 AM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

I have CAI and a straight through exhaust on my CTR..........sounds the dogs and is running above 215 bhp ...................Go for it .......you'll love it !!

Watch this wee clip of CTR in THE ZONE http://type-r-scotland.com/files/cal3.wmv

Cal
Old 24 February 2004, 10:22 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

There is some truth in what you are saying. The K20a seems to be different in every CTR from my experience. Also, BHP doesn't tell the whole story.

For example, my CTR with 26k on the clock, Blitz Sonic Induction, Magnex 6x4 backbox and straight through (boxless) centre section only got 160.6 (+18% for fly) at the wheels on CPL's RR, wheras Craigs with exactly the same setup got 178 (ish). The only difference is that my centre section is a custom wider bore than his. This gives me more low down torque but I lose top end power. There's no way that the engines if tested from standard would have produced anywhere near the same power.

Getting good cold dense air to the induction kit is tricky on these engines because of the way it sits. I'm considering changing my Blitz Sonic for an Injen or BMC filter as they both suffer less from heat soak.

I'd suggest doing plenty of research on the best kit for the CTR as there is a lot of difference IMO and you could end up losing power. And of course its the luck of the draw if you get a good one
Old 24 February 2004, 10:23 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Oh, by the way, who cares . . . . it sounds AWESOME anyway