MR2 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2004, 07:00 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MR2 Turbo

All,

Just wondering how good these really are in relation to a UK scoob, a friend of mine has just bought one, and ill looking forward to a blast in it soon. I understand that they are 240bhp as standard, and i should imagine a little lighter than my 03 WRX, and of course rear wheel drive.

Any experiences anyone would like to share?

Neil.
Old 16 February 2004, 07:21 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

A friend bought one a few years ago now, and I took it out for a day. It was modded with dustbin sized exhaust, a REALLY loud dumpvalve, induction kit, 17 split rim alloys. It tramlined like a bstd and the backend would kick out if the road was damp. Loads of fun though and bloody quick! Took it down a local *testing ground* where I tried to max it out. The speedo went all the way round (to about 10mph I think) at which point the windows popped out of their seals (frameless windows I think)!!!

Dunno how much power it was pushing out and I can't be sure how fast it went, but it was a hoot to drive!

Against your WRX, it will probably be quicker in a straight line and on really twisty roads. On rough and sweepy roads the Scoob will probably handle better.

Andy
Old 16 February 2004, 07:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Totally sh!te, no a patch on a scooby in any regard.

What?? I was just giving the response people expect from SN

Ok, truthfully I don't know because I've never driven one but I believe they are rather fast
Old 16 February 2004, 07:44 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Talking

lol at Saxo Boy

I think somebody has been reading too much of the 'ol Fiat coupe thread eh?
Old 17 February 2004, 12:29 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

MR2 Turbo's are great cars. The Rev 1's handling isn't as bad as some say, you just have to be a little more alert.

It's a relatively bomb proof engine, and a usable, reliable 300bhp is relatively easy. Plus they are a bit of a bargain at the mo. Plus insurance isn't generally as bad as a Scoob. (I have both - so I know !)

But Scoobs and MR2's are too different to compare - best thing is to go drive one.

Two importers that are well known by the MR2 scene for being quality are www.neweraimports.com and www.mr2-direct-imports.co.uk/.

All the best

Matt

And my wee MR2 is here - www.mshperformance.co.uk
Old 17 February 2004, 12:38 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

i nearly bought one about a year ago (but bought a house instead). They're great fun to drive. Toyota dealers will service them too, though most hate to because the engine apparently fills the engine bay leaving no room for hands etc.

Less of a theft magnet than a scoob too I should think. Keep it looking standard and you've got a real wolf in sheep's clothing.

Cam belt at 63000 or 5 years.
Service every 9000 miles.

The AYlesbury Toyota dealer servce dept were very helpful when I was looking. Told me what to look for etc. They'll do a a visual safety check for free too.

Last edited by Goochie; 17 February 2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 17 February 2004, 12:40 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a REV-3 not long ago..... lets just say they are 'fun' cars to drive...

Raf
Old 17 February 2004, 12:58 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I've owned 3 and all 3 were great, reliable cars. Not partucularly easy to drive until you get used to them.

Push a rev 1 or 2 in the wet and you'll wrap it and yourself around the nearest tree.

Rev 3 much more sedate (and boring) as the handling is tweaked but doesn't give you the same feedback as the 1 and 2.

I must have covered 150k miles in my 3 and all that it went through were:

tyres (eats rears - understandably)
A steering rack
Spark plugs (a set every 4k miles)

And that's it. All 3 always started. My 2nd rev 2 had 135k miles when I flogged it and it was still hitting full boost and only 3bhp down on a rolling road.

Rev 3 slightly quicker (book) than a Rev2 and 16bhp more but you'd never tell.
Old 17 February 2004, 01:07 PM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

I had a std rev 3 turbo for a couple of years.
Round Knockhill and Donnington in the dry nothing between it and a std uk 99 scoob, but couldn't keep up with a P1 - this is car swapping as well so driver diffs taken out of equation.
In a straight line over 100mph (on private roads) MR2 faster than a uk scoob (much more aerodynamic) - probably similar to P1.
In the wet it was always predictable - lots of throttle = lots of oversteer.
Sold it for a modified uk MY98 & still miss the MR2, (if it only had 4 seats !) - far more rewarding & entertaining to drive, - oversteer becomes your middle name !!

Mark
Old 17 February 2004, 01:14 PM
NeilCH
Scooby Regular

Any experiences anyone would like to share?

Yes, I parked my friends one around a lampost during my one and only drive, wrote it off. Hence doesn't make it onto my top10 !! A large lack of talent + my stupidity + wet roundabout were to blame, however its much easier to blame the car......

Rgds
Neil
Old 17 February 2004, 01:47 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Like Fatherpierre says, they do take some getting used to. Mine hibernates during the winter months, and every spring I have to get used to driving it again. I guess this is largely due to the engine being in the middle.

Anyone can jump in a scoob and drive fast, this is not the case with an MR2 turbo. This is in no way derogatory to Scoob drivers, like I said - I have both, bot MR2's take a little more learning !

But I happen to think they are damn good looking too. Mine has been made to look like a Rev3, a set of nice 17" wheels - and that's it. And when it's all polished up, it looks frikkin' gorgeous !!!

All the best

Matt
Old 17 February 2004, 04:20 PM
matt5cott
Scooby Regular

I can vouch for http://www.neweraimports.com on this one, my rev5 GT Turbo is from there.

At the moment its 100% standard/unmolested I might be persuaded to part with it if someone offers me silly money

As for the comments about getting used to driving them, yep they can be a bit of a handfull, the car really does demand respect in the wet! Give it to a 17 year old who is just going to constantly keep his foot down and you wont be getting that car back in one piece...
Old 17 February 2004, 07:14 PM
mc5
Scooby Regular

Funny this post came up today.
A friend of mine has just spun his going around a second gear bend and hitting a concrete post. He said he was n't going that fast.
His excuse - 'the road was wet'.
Old 23 February 2004, 10:05 PM
MR Fusion
Scooby Regular

I've just sold my MR2 Turbo after a year of mental ownership. They really are a handful to drive...I spun and crashed mine quite early on, due to driving it like a fool.

To get the best out of them, you really need an unmolested model as 90% of them nowadays have had their suspension messed about with, and 17" or 18" alloys fitted, which really really really wrecks the handling of them.

Compared to a Scooby? Well...my ol' MR2 had beaten some, and had been beaten, so it's gonna be one of those things!