Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MGR sad state of affairs

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2004, 01:11 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGR sad state of affairs

Looks like it's all going down the pan, still at least the scum that bought it have made a wedge out of it. I'd have done exactly the same.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/car/story/...143071,00.html
Old 07 February 2004, 03:53 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

You call them "Scum" then say you would have done the same.

What does that make you?

The article states what everyone knows, without a Focus/Astra rival in 2005 MGR are in real trouble. The RD60 has to happen or MGR will not survive as a mainstream manufaturer.
I just hope the Pheonix chaps are more genuine than they appear currently and MGR survive.

Cheers
Lee
Old 07 February 2004, 04:33 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

quote: "What does that make you?"

Well if I'd screwed up what little remains of the British car industry and feathered my own pockets doing it then I would be scum I suppose- just like this shower of sh*t. Haven't had the chance yet but I'd do so in a cold minute, sleeping comfortably at night while the erstwhile underachieving employees of MGR live lives of abject poverty in the new midlands economic wasteland- or something like that.
Old 09 February 2004, 08:54 AM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry to hijack your thread NACRO but I found Giles Smith's review of the new Impreza hilarious. What a ***.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/wheels/sto...921258,00.html
Old 09 February 2004, 09:01 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Don't know about *** but I could write a better review than that myself- so hackneyed. He does have a point about all the spoilers though, smacks of trying a bit too hard to me.

As for the hijack no problem although I feel that there are more interesting things to say on a thread about MGR than highlighting the poor cosmetics of the Impreza/ the poorly crafted review.
Old 09 February 2004, 10:00 AM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

Soz. I read the article but ended up reading the reviews as well.

WRT MGR they've creamed loads of cash from the company but I'm not convinced they've completely screwed up what little remains of it. Although they've shifted the 'break even' date from 2002 to 2005 I don't think £31m would have made a massive difference and they have reduced the debt by nearly £200m (something BMW wern't really interested in).

Clearly £31m is an obscene amount of money but the task of lifting MGR was not easy I'm sure. Ideally you'd have a board of execs taking as little from the company as possible but you'd need a group of people that probably don't exist. I'm not sure if I'd want to do a job like that for nothing. Ok £7.5m is a bit excessive but I'd want something for my trouble.

As said on another article BMW were about to drop the company completely anyway so they have at least kept employees and their mortgages paid for the past 4 years.

Last edited by civictyper; 09 February 2004 at 10:01 AM.