Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MK V Golf- not so good

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2004, 11:07 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I had the opportunity to test drive one yesterday- it was a 1.6fsi so I wasn't expecting it to be a ball of fire. Handling wasn't great and neither surprisingly was the build quality. It felt "clunky" enough when you closed the doors but compared to a MK IV the plastics were terrible quality as were the seat fabrics and the fit of a few items (like the handbrake)was poor.

Obviously it will be a success just becuase it's a Golf but I think VW have taken a backward step on build quality on this car. Can't imagine they are going to be the most reliable cars in the world either, the salesman said they have had 2 failures already (all gearbox)out of a fleet of 5.

What on earth are VW playing at?
Old 15 January 2004, 11:12 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Maybe a case of Skoda is the new VW and VW is the new Skoda ?
Old 15 January 2004, 11:13 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Channeling all their resources into Skoda and Seat, together with an expansion into various 3rd world factories- massive licenced one in China just opened.

Dont believe its just the Mk5, the Mk4 and Passat have been relying on their past merits for some time now; multiple recalls and substandard build quality allied to shoody service at many dealerships has weakened the marque in many loyal customers eyes.
Old 15 January 2004, 11:40 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Agree with what RichWalk just said..

Dont even like the styling of the MK5 Golf, far too lardy and MPV-ish from the press photos I have seen of it!

As NACRO said, it will sell well purely because of the name.. and the fact that middle england regards the Golf as more "upmarket" than a Focus will keep sales figures ticking over. I am interested now, and actually fancy heading down to have a look at one for myself now. Didnt realise that they were already in showrooms.

However I think the days of the Golf being at the top of the hot hatch chart are over for good.

What is the top performance model now then, and does anyone have any figures for this??

Are there any plans for a MK5 R32 equivalent??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 January 2004, 12:00 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
They don't look that lardy or MPV like in the flesh- just an evolution of the classic Golf shape really, I don't know if they are for sale in the UK yet, I'm in France and they seem to have just got them here, although I saw a few in Spain last November so they've been around for ages over here.
Old 15 January 2004, 12:29 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Ah right, well I might just pop down and have a look around...

Even if they arent out here, I expect they will have at least some decent information on them to prepare people who are interested in buying the MK5, if they dont then I'll be very surprised/dissappointed in VW Customer Service!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 January 2004, 02:58 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Nacro, interesting that you found the interior to be poorer quality than the MKIVs ... I'll have to have a look when they hit the showrooms over here.

VW has always been good on interior quality, it will be bad news for them if they lose it.

Trending Topics

Old 16 January 2004, 09:19 AM
DavidS3
Scooby Newbie

The MKV has been for sale in Germany since late last year. Autocar commented on the poor quality plastics too.

David
Old 16 January 2004, 09:25 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Saw a couple in Tenerife over Christmas. Look pretty good in the flesh actually. Just an evolution of the Golf DNA, but not as slick as the Mk4 when that was first unveiled.

The Mk5 looks a bit Polo like at the rear.
Old 16 January 2004, 10:17 AM
little miss fire
Scooby Regular

I've currently got a 03 Golf, and before that had a N reg GTI. I've got an invite to see the unveiling of the new golf on 22nd Jan at my local VW garage. So i think they are available from then onwards.

I won't be buying one though, next car is a Scoob. My other half doesn't let me drive his enought, so I'm gonna get one of my own!
Old 16 January 2004, 09:02 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

This really is a shame, as mine old 1.8t was really good! And not on if there pushing for a more premium image! (N)
Old 16 January 2004, 09:03 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

A Golf Mark 5

The old Peugeot 307

Hmmm?

As many have said above, the range of VWs from about 96 on have been appaling. Best VW ever are still Mk2 and Mk3 Golf Gti's. Everything else just falls to pieces too readily.

[Edited by rr_ww - 1/16/2004 9:04:10 PM]
Old 17 January 2004, 07:16 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

The reason the new A3 is going to be such a sucess !
Mine (A3) arrives 1st March !