Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda CRX (to 1991) - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2004, 11:35 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm NOT talking about the 'girlie' one with the electric roof!!!

I remember in my youth (about 10 years ago) I really wanted one and they are now silly cheap, I thought that maybe I get one for a little while!

150bhp of V-TEC fun!

Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, etc about them?

What insurance group are they?
How reliable are they?
Common problems, etc?

Cheers
Andy
Old 13 January 2004, 11:51 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

This model:

Old 13 January 2004, 12:10 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

You have remarkably good taste Andy...along with the Corrado and IntegraR it's one of my favourite affordable/driveable 'classics'
Can remember that the press went ga-ga over it at the time..but I was never close to being able to afford it back then
Cman
Old 13 January 2004, 12:16 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Great car is you are short enough to fit in it, I was on the verge of buying one some years ago but just couldn't get comfortable, just to tall for it.
Old 13 January 2004, 12:18 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Chuck,

Believe it or not you have named some of my fave cars!!!

CRX to tide me over!!
Integra after the wedding!
Corrado VR6 for Caroline! or at least that's what I was trying to convice her with last night!

That said I think your 'toy' car is what I aspire to!! Where are you now? 355 or 911??
Old 13 January 2004, 12:19 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

NARCO,

How tall are you?

I'm 5'11" so hopefully shouldn't be a problem! I guess I should have a look at one locally and go from there!
Old 13 January 2004, 12:47 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Reckon you should be OK, my girlfriend tried it (she's 5' 10") and fitted fine. I'm a 6' 4" and didn't fit at all, shame as I really wanted one at the time. Still great cars though.

Trending Topics

Old 13 January 2004, 01:11 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Superb little cars. I've had two and would have one again if I could find a good example but most of them now are at least 13 years old and have over 100k miles.
Old 13 January 2004, 06:22 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I ran one for 3.5 years starting in 1992-ish (I was only 21 at the time ). I had a VTEC one in blue and covered about 50k miles in it. It didn't miss a beat and although was well looked after I did like to drive her hard when conditions allowed. I still reckon one of the most predictbale and progressive handling cars I have owned. Like a go-kart.

Great fun if a little dated and down on power by todays standards. Economical at all times too. I think it was insurance group 15/16.

The only thing that failed on me was one of the rear hatch struts.

[Edited by PaulMc - 1/13/2004 6:27:28 PM]
Old 13 January 2004, 06:49 PM
Thommo
Scooby Regular

You shouldn't have a problem fitting in it, I am 6 foot+, just don't expect to fit anyone in the back seat (if you can really call it that!!). I have a non-Vtec one and it's great fun. only problems that I have heard about or experianced are:
the boot supports go (so the boot won't stay open by itself)
possible leaks around the sunroof, and/or the boot.
I think that is about it. I'll have mine up for sale in the summer if you still want one/haven't brought one yet?
Great fun though.
Old 13 January 2004, 07:32 PM
CodeKey@Lisan
Scooby Regular

I wrote mine off back in '91 (CRX V-TEC)

Good little cars, but a little plasticky / rattly.

[Edited by CodeKey@Lisan - 1/13/2004 7:32:41 PM]
Old 13 January 2004, 08:45 PM
Nonterraquous
Scooby Regular

I've ran MK2 CRXs for the last seven or eight years. My last one, a Celestial Blue VT, I bought with 70K miles on it nearly five years ago. In that time its covered another 60K miles, not too impressive by itself but couple that with only missing two Crail RWYB events in nearly four of those years (every other Sunday, February to November) and having 60Kgs of nitrous (25 to 100 shot) through it as well and I think it deserves to be described as trully "bomb-proof". FWIW I have it rolling roaded every six months or so and it always makes 130hp at the wheels and can still return 41mpg. Fantastic cars, love them to bits but there comes a time when you have to move on. Luckily the wife took over ownership (this is her second) last month when I went for a VX220.

I see you've signed up to CRX-UK so you should find all the info on both the 16V and the VT you need there but a couple of probelms I can think of off the top of my head - rear screen wash nozzle can let in water, evident by little puddles of water on the rear bench. Rust, not so much of a problem on imported cars, check rear archs where the sunroof drain holes are and sills if possible (covered by plastic skirt). Sunroofs are another area prone to it.

Tailgate lifters will probably need replacing.

Possibly worth checking the ECU for codes if you go looking - lift the passenger footwell carpet and you should see a brass plate with a hole in it. Turn the ignition on till the dash lights up and watch for red flashs. Most problems vanish with a reset but it may reveal something you dont want.

Synchros tend to crunch.

Theres more but I'm hungry. Happy hunting!

Scott.
Old 13 January 2004, 09:30 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Andy, i sold my scoob and got myself one of these....great fun!!! Pretty quick for a 1.6

Oh and listen to Scott....he is a CRX guru

[Edited by Maxy_UK - 1/13/2004 9:48:31 PM]
Old 13 January 2004, 10:04 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Andy

I had a V-TEC for over 4 years before the Scoob. Great little cars with a gem of an engine...redlined at 8k And it never missed a beat even with me revving the nuts off it every day

Bas
Old 13 January 2004, 10:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Only ever drove the Mk 1 version, one which had 127 000 miles on the clock. If the guy had clocked it back to half that I wouldn't have known. Always wanted one (got 205 instead), still have a soft spot. I think the tinted vertical glass on the hatch is a masterpiece of practicality and don't know why only Mazda used the same idea.

I remember asking Honda mechanics, and reading a mag review on buying s/h ones (in early 90s) about what were the things to look out for that go wrong. "Nothing". Mechanics would tell me how they'd race the engines, strip them down, and find nothing.

Good luck, and I'm jealous!
Old 13 January 2004, 10:40 PM
avonvilla
Scooby Regular

Is there anything to be aware of if getting an import ? like the look of the extra spec.
Old 13 January 2004, 11:45 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Nonterra -- cool username. I think you've spelt it wrong though (although my memory might be playing tricks -- it's been nearly 20 years!).
Old 13 January 2004, 11:57 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Nonterraquous - Was your car the small green(ish)/blue flyer that used to come up to Crail??

I dont suppose you live in Glenrothes do you, as one of my my ex-work colleagues said you lived near him (if its you)!!

The CRX I remember looked like it had been lowered and looked like it had Momo Racer 15" Alloys on it, dunno if this was you or not though?!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 14 January 2004, 09:43 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, lots of info to digest!
Old 14 January 2004, 10:45 AM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Talking

Great fun if a little dated and down on power by todays standards. Economical at all times too. I think it was insurance group 15/16.
lol, "down on power" compared to an Audi RS6 maybe. There aren't many hot hatches today that can take on a CRX. Even magazine favs such as the Clio 172, Cupra R and the new Civic Type-R will have a hard time pulling away from one of these. 150 HP and a 1000 kg body. Do the math.

Old 14 January 2004, 05:10 PM
Nonterraquous
Scooby Regular

Maxy - Guru? wouldnt go that far mate lol. Cant wait to see yours on the strip as I think "pretty quick" will be an understatement

Carl - I'm impressed! Most people cant even say it let alone know its not spelled the same as the game (Speccy in my case) Dropping the "e" was a deliberate move tho

Grant - yeah, sounds like me and I do live near but not in Glenrothes, (work at police HQ). It was lowered 50mm and had various styles of 15" alloys on it but usually 5 spoke, with 290mm discs and 4 pot Hi-Spec calipers behind them. The only distinguishing feature (I know of a few in the area now) would be the nose mask. You might still see it about because, as I mentioned earlier, the wife has taken it off my hands. Heres where it all goes pear shaped as I try to post a couple of pics...

Thats it last summer with the wifes old silver 16V behind and a red 16V I had bought as a runabout. In the end I managed to get into the high 13s running 100 shot of nitrous.

Andy - I know I said there were more common problems but TBH I cant think of any that would be specific to the CRX that you wouldnt find on other cars of this age (bushes, wheel bearings etc). The only thing my VT ever failed an MOT on was the handbrake. The rear calipers get a lot of crap on them and recons from the likes of Brakes Int. dont break the bank. I replaced them last year and it sailed thru first time.

Avon - the only problem with imports still seems to be insurance but only certain companys. And some dealers may give you grief if your chassis code cant be found on their parts database (this should be sorted now and a lot of parts, especially for the VT are still Honda only and all parts are a bit expensive when compared with Ford, Vauxhall etc). Imports can be got with aircon and PAS but they never came with leather on the VT (SiR) and there are some different colours available (but most seem to be black ). Other than that I cant really help as I do prefer UK cars.

Hope all that helps some.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 14 January 2004, 05:13 PM
Nonterraquous
Scooby Regular

**** me, the pics worked first time
Old 14 January 2004, 05:35 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Top cars,just a quick point, vtec jap imports (sir) come with LSD but have an drab interior, and come in different colours such as graphite grey etc. best of luck!
kam
Old 14 January 2004, 05:38 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm going to be honest as say with my rather small budget, I'm going to be looking for a well looked after 16v, rather than a doggy VTEC!

As I say it's to tide me over until I can afford the Integra after my wedding!!

Hopefully seeing one this weekend! At least I'm armed with lots of things to check now!
Old 14 January 2004, 05:42 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think you're missing something here. The wedding is just where the spending starts. It doesn't stop until you die...
Old 14 January 2004, 08:03 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Got me interested here guys. I always loved the CRX, especially the V-Tec! Once I could afford one though, I ended up with a Corrado VR6 instead.

Any 'enthusiasts' web sites around? Might have a punt at one....

Cheers, HB.
Old 14 January 2004, 10:53 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Uprate the brakes, cracking cars, I will one day return to the Honda community, the b16a is an awesome engine, not sure on the 16v thou.
Old 14 January 2004, 11:17 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Check out the car-by-car-breakdown on the Honest John site

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.ph...ycar/index.htm

a great resource, just don't go near the forums, Tory as fack.
Old 15 January 2004, 09:46 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mate, but I'm really looking for a user forum as such.
Old 15 January 2004, 05:12 PM
Nonterraquous
Scooby Regular

You could try the CRX-UK forum? We have archived stuff on a Yahoo Group somewhere too.

Scott.

Quick Reply: Honda CRX (to 1991) - Thoughts?