Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Re: Trade in Value Question?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2004, 05:43 PM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before xmas my girlfriend ordered a new vw polo form a local dealer. They offered her £3K for her Ka. They did say however that cause the car will be factory ordered the value will decrease by £200.00 for each month we have to wait and they would handwrite this on the order form. We still have had no news on when we will be getting the car and they forgot to handwrite the note on the order. Will she get the 3K do you reckon?
Old 08 January 2004, 11:06 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Frankly I doubt it

IMHO this deal sucks..they are pretty much saying we'll lure you in with a 3k trade in, knowing it will probably be 2.5k by the time the car is delivered.

Oh well, I hope she enjoys the car when it finally arrives

Old 08 January 2004, 11:39 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Cars depreciate period! If a deal 'sucks' dont sign. Yours, mine and just about everybody else's cars depreciate big lumps with the passing of time. If it would be better for you, you could have done the deal on the basis that if you're new car did not arrive within say two or three months (not unreasonable), then no deal...... and ensured that that was written on the order form. Try selling your car privately and then negotiate a decent discount on the new car. This can be very informative as to what your car is really worth. Then again, you may get lucky and win on both swings and roundabouts with a decent discount on the new car and a good price for the old one. If any dealer does not want to offer me a decent discount on ANY new car I'm after, then I walk. Only mugs pay full whack....plenty still about apparently.

Because of skinnier dealer profit margins on new cars in recent years, not only are dealers loath to ever offer silly money on part exchanges, even tidy ones, many would prefer not to take on older px cars at all. Many now trade them out sharpish, put them through the auctions or even crush them (I kid you not) as they can be more trouble than they're worth. I've seen perfectly serviceable tidy cars with long MoTs crushed. Offered to buy some too occasionally but was refused as the breaker takes these p/xs from local dealers strictly on a 'no selling on' basis. I could buy any parts from those cars though - not complete cars though. Consumers are consuming and often very wastefully.
Old 08 January 2004, 11:45 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

... also... if there was an 'across the board' price increase on the VWs before your car was built or delivered, you'd probably have to pay the extra difference too! Price increases by manufacturers are something dealers have little control over.
Old 09 January 2004, 12:07 AM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

We got £900 off the list which I thought was good on a £9K car. I knew the trade in wouldnt be brilliant (due to discount haggled)but we are hoping to sell privately for £3.5K.

Cheers
Old 09 January 2004, 12:26 AM
bloke
Scooby Regular

T-1100

If you got 10% of that sounds like a good deal. If you can sell the Ka privately then go for it...they are very popular little cars so I'm sure you won't have too much trouble

MGJohn,

Sorry I disagree.

You make the deal. You stipulate how the trade in works and that there are no price increases on the new car or reductions in the trade in. After all no doubt they relieve you a deposit they are making interest on.

If they won't agree move on and find a dealer that will.

Dealers work on 2 things. Firstly buying a car is exciting and people get carried away. Secondly the Great British public is by and large to meek to say no to a crap deal.

Go shop around, use the internet, whatever and make the deal you want, not what the dealer wants.

Cheers

B
Old 09 January 2004, 09:30 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I would of thought the depreciation would be between £50-75 if that, for a car that size. It has a popular following and if it has PAS then its a bit more desirable IMO.

Trending Topics

Old 09 January 2004, 11:33 AM
DAC
Scooby Regular

put it on for sale section here

popular car - might get your £3k cash

in fact in a short time my wife may be wanting one.
Old 09 January 2004, 05:34 PM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

Looks like we may have a buyer for 3.5K my mother wants it!
Old 09 January 2004, 08:42 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

bloke WROTE:

>>Secondly the Great British public is by and large to meek to say no to a crap deal.<<

Spot on! When it comes to paying over the odds for their motoring, we Brits are the World Champeens!!! Here, we've got the French, Germans, Spanish, Yanks et al well beat .....Good eh ...