Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Ferrari 355GTS info please

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2004, 08:14 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well it's one of the cars I've always lusted after, visually. Was thinking of taking a couple out for test drives but before wasting anyones time I'd like some honest blokes opinions (I'll ask RichB later ). Is it an 'easy' car to drive? My wife loves driving and we fight for the 22b keys everytime we go out, so her liking driving it will be important. Wasting half the weekend on a testdrive of a non-Nicki friendly car just ain't on the political agenda LOL
Other cars consdered at moment are the 328(definitely non-user friendly, but much cheaper) , VX220T(!), Boxster 'S' and 911's(GT3, 993 targa etc). It's a fun car, we're keeping the 22B and the Forester, and want something of a totally different driving experience...so 'wind in the hair'(whilst I still have some) preferred LOL
I've been looking through Pistonheads gassing, but would appreciate other decent sources of info.
Cheers for looking,
Chuck
Old 06 January 2004, 09:33 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've driven one on a track day - had the paddle shift gears (which I didn't like too much) but the car itself was very easy to drive.

Much easier than the dreadful Golf GTi we learned the track in, and also much, much more driver friendly than the 328 GTB (I think) that I drove later.

Everything is well laid out, it's comfortable, good visibility (front and sides) and the steering is light.

Put it this way, I'm not the most confident driver in the world when it comes to getting in and driving different cars... but this was a piece of cake.

All I can say is... you lucky, lucky, lucky bar-steward!!
Old 06 January 2004, 10:10 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Chuck,

My best mate has one and I borrowed it for a week. It's very easy to live with IMHO. As easy as the 22B anyway. You just have to be careful about the height of the front end when nosing into or backing off driveways etc.

They have PAS and the clutch is easy. 2nd gear takes a little time to warm up but shifting from 1st to 3rd is no problem first thing in the morning.

I loved the noise, loved the feel and was impressed by the way it pootled to work in the morning and then was able to blast down local B roads with aplomb. They are fairly wide at the rear, and this requires prudence when parking or putting in garages. You also need to leave plenty of space to get out of them as the door is long and low. 2 spaces at Tescos!

Just try one. Don't expect a massive shove in the back, but enjoy the noise and the experience. You can even get them serviced reasonably at Terry Keys at Silverstone.

They are reliable too. The one that I drove had just returned from Italy. It did 1200 miles in 13 hours and never missed a beat. It has done 12k miles in the last 9 months or so, and is just due an annual service which is approx £400. Not bad for a Ferrari. It had the clutch, belts, full service and wheel alignment done for just over £2k last year. The belts need doing every 3 yrs or 36k miles whichever comes sooner.

Condition and history rules over age or mileage. Post '97 cars are apparently better if you can get one. Not sure why, but I think that the electronics are superior and you don't get that bulky 4 spoke steering wheel.

You will enjoy it!

Matt
Old 06 January 2004, 10:18 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Duck

Sounds like you've been on the Tangerine Ferrari Experience

Me and the current Mrs MartinM did it a couple of years ago - we did the 328 first and I was completely amazed how cr$p the gearchange was. Most disappointing. Spent most of the time trying to get the lever to go through he right slots in the gate and not just jam against the fingers between the slots

The 355F1 was a different matter altogether. Absolutely fantastic...and I found the paddle change really intuitive. The instructor guy didn't even say anything when I was starting to brake after the 'change gear' signs (well past the 'brake' signs) or when I got to 8500rpm in 3rd and it was all starting to hum along quite nicely
Old 06 January 2004, 10:43 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks. Been reading up about cracking manifolds etc and post 97 does seem the only way to go. It'd be a 6k miles max a year car to control costs. Getting it into the garage is a concern to be honest..think its 1900mm wide at the widest..may end up pushing it into garage as exiting once inside will be an issue LOL
I am very close to Foskers who always have plenty of cars, KHPC are also reasonably close, along with http://www.scuderiasystems.com/index2.htm
So living down south has advantages.
As for being lucky...too bloody right am I lucky...outperformed all the other security guards I know LOL
The F1 gearbox doesn't seem right for the first car, I think I need the 'real deal' to get the full experience.
If I can get a sunny weekend lined up I'll drive one then...here's hoping!
Rgds
Cman
Old 06 January 2004, 11:11 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Talking

MartinM - yep, certainly did. Got a pic of me dressed in their banana coloured overalls next to the F355.

I also drove the Maserati 3200 GT (bright yellow) which despite the slating from the motoring press felt the business, tbh. Was really quick. Just lacked the sound track of the F355...
Old 06 January 2004, 11:13 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
911 is an easy everyday drive.

Maybe consider a 996 Carrera with GT3 kit.
Old 06 January 2004, 11:28 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Minor thread diversion, sorry....

Duck - yep, have the very same picture! Turned down the Maserati opportunity as not very good VFM - but it certainly looked very quick. Apparently the tyres have to be changed every week and the brakes every other week - maybe that's why it was a bit costly
Old 06 January 2004, 03:44 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Chuck,

Not driven a 355 (been in a few) but my GT3 is delivered in April. I urge you to drive one for comparison purposes. Although I've only been in the passenger seat of a 355, I cannot imagine they'd compare. One is a trackday champion, the other is a sunday cruiser.

The GT3, however, is simply divine.

Cem
www.stuttgartnines.co.uk
Old 06 January 2004, 04:10 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Ah but Cem, I will drive one, but my heart says I don't want another tin top cruiser. Ultimately Nicki and I will always 'need' a 5 seater 'mad' car, and we've yet to try anything that we like more than the 22B. So bearing in mind we'll always have that, and a 'family' car the third car has to be a massive departure from the 22 to justify inclusion in the stable. Now...a GT3 may be just that, only test drives will tell The only thing I don't like about 996's is the fact that the interior is soo damn corporate German...get into a rari or a maser and it's an event before you turn the key, get into a 996...you may as well get into an Audi estate...they just don't 'feel' like £70k cars should..of course the money is all in the engine and chassis (just like we justify the cost of the 4wd turbo nutter jap stuff)...I need to drive a 993 RS, a mk1 GT3, a mk2 and a few turbos..it's a damn fine mess I've gotten myself into LOL
mk1 GT3 still appeals on soo many levels, but now that a 4 seater is no more practical than a 2 seater I may as well try something crazy
Rgds
Cman
Old 06 January 2004, 05:26 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

If you want to be surrounded in leather, then perhaps a new 745iL is to your liking?

Cem
Old 14 January 2004, 10:20 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Chuckles, I may know where you try the F1 box but alas it's not in a 355
Next time you are down, I'll take you over to see my (not flavour of the month) mate, I should be seeing what is in stock in the next day or so, check the web site for an update toward the end of the week.

Oh yeah, and check over on Ferrarichat.com for a uk section that has more life in it than PH. There is a meet in Kent very soon, would be a good chance to have a look and blag a ride.

RB]

[Edited by RichB - 1/14/2004 10:22:46 AM]
Old 14 January 2004, 10:26 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Test drove one last year and loved every second of it.

Unfortunately, her indoors hated every second of it.

She said it was noisy, uncomfortable, too flashy, made me drive like an Italian, poor visibility (it was a spider with the roof up), every idiot on the road wanted to race you or cut you up and she refused to drive it!

Gee, I'm gonna miss her.....
Old 14 January 2004, 10:43 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Chuck, David Yu, who writes for Evo mag, had one for many years. He's a personal friend - would you like his e-mail address?
Old 14 January 2004, 10:48 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

He should have kept his Cappuccino though
Old 14 January 2004, 10:53 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Noooo. Not the GTS! Get the GTB.

BTW I had a nose round one the other day and thought the interior wasn't up to much
Old 14 January 2004, 10:58 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

No thanks Tel, I read through his exploits in Evo and frankly they made very dissapointing reading...depite his protests that the car never blew up on him he did spend something close to seventy gazillion pounds keeping it on the road..LOL..
Will be in touch Rich...February seems the absolute wrong time of the year to be thinking about this as salty roads are-a-coming, but we'll see...might be able to see a couple 'oop north this weekend in Sheffield...will depend on the weather and how sulky Nicki is...damn hormones LOL
Also damn this company for blocking ferrarichat.com!!
Ta
Cman
Old 14 January 2004, 11:01 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Carl, despite the undoubted dynamic superiority of the GTB(and the more pleasing aesthetics), I need a roofless car......
Cman
Old 14 January 2004, 11:07 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

But in your first post you said you were buying it for the aesthetics. Why compromise on them?

And nobody needs a roofless car. OK, we needed one at Christmas when we stuck a 6' Christmas tree in the back of the wife's 206CC (with the roof down, obviously). But apart from that...
Old 14 January 2004, 01:45 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chuck,

If you know anyone who wants a GTB, my mate is selling his to get a 550 Maranello! Lucky Git!

It's a RHD Red with Black, 1997 car with FSH and about 38000 miles on the clock. Has just had a service at Terry Keys. Not sure how much he wants for it but reckon on mid forties.

Matt
Old 14 January 2004, 04:01 PM
GTTurbo
Scooby Regular

Hello,

having read your thread with envy I would like to think I could help you make your decision easy. Having driven the 22B many times and also having driven the ferrari 355 spider extensively I can confirm that you will really enjoy the ferrari. The thing to do is to get your self a LHD 355 rather than a 328 or 308 as they are both very awkward - gear box when cold and v heavy steering for manovering, I am no wimp but it gets irritating after a while!

The LHD doesnt have to cost the earth to begin with and can be maintained perfectly for reasonable money if you know where to take it.

Obviously you cant compaire the 22b with 355 as they are completely different only I will say that being hyper critical, the steering on the 355 is a bit light and in need of a faster rack for the ultimate driving experiance. (A quick rack is availiable!).

The 22b has in my opinion a very good quick rack.

If you can get a drive in one, do, only a word of warning, you will definatly want one!

Hope this helps.
Old 14 January 2004, 05:46 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

MattOz,
If the car is mint with FSH then drop the details to me in an email. I know a dealer who might be interested and would be able to source a 550 if he hasn't found one yet...
Rich
Old 14 January 2004, 06:22 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

Anyone lucky enough to be choosing between a 355 and a GT3 can not really make the wrong decision - but beware! Can you really take all the social baggage associated with a 'Rarri? A friend of mine spent a lifetime choosing between a 360 and a GT3 for his weekend thrills, got the 360 and chopped it in for a GT3 within 3 months. Money wasn't the issue (though a 355 will chew through your wallet) but he couldn't drive the car anywhere without attracting yobs, boy racers, the law, insults, people spitting etc etc It was a really telling insight into society having a trip round the block in such a flashy car.

The 911 is also very in your face but it's positively transparent compared to a red Ferrari....
Old 14 January 2004, 06:47 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rich,

I'll get the finer details from him and mail you. I'll be offline until Monday though, so it'll be next week.

Cheers
Matt
Old 14 January 2004, 08:51 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs down

he couldn't drive the car anywhere without attracting yobs, boy racers, the law, insults, people spitting etc
(directed at the insults BTW)...

Shame ***** like this walk the earth IMO, how can anyone be jealous towards someone completely unknown to themselves, same sort of ***** that key cars I suppose. If I see a Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo/etc, I think nice car, etc, imagine seeing said cars and feeling genuine resentment towards someone owning them!, just doesn't come into my head.

Rant over

Good luck with the new car Chuck (whatever it may be), put some pics up when you get something.
Old 14 January 2004, 09:23 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Chuck,

I also considered a 360 over the GT3 and went for the GT3 simply because I do not at all belive that the Ferarri would be able to take the kind of enthusiastic driving I'd be putting through the Porsche. Bullet proof engineering in a car who's company actively encourage you to track it AND promise to fix it if it breaks down.

Cem
Old 15 January 2004, 12:13 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Yup, the fact the Ferrari's are soo fragile is my number one concern. If something is going to break one out of four drives that would be unacceptable. I want the car to *drive*, not be stuck in a dealership getting bitsnpieces fixed...I just don't have time to waste like that.
I am also aware that there are around 100 unsold M3CSL's in the dealer network..so I have to drive one of those too...make sure the GT3 is *really* worth £20k more...(though heart says 'Yes, of course! It's a 911!' )
Pain in the ****
355, GT3, C4S, CSL, *cough*noble*cough, hell I haven't even dismissed the Boxster 'S' yet!!
Cman
Old 15 January 2004, 12:44 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I owned a F355 GTS for about 6 months.

The GTS in my opinion is the one to go for.. Sure, the Spider looks nice when the top is down, but up it looks horrid compared to the lines of a Berlinetta/GTS. It's a good compromise in the UK, and you won't fear the hood being ripped by oiks. If I lived in sunnier climes with less crime, I'd go for a Spider (maybe)

Regarding LHD/RHD.. well, LHD does say "I could only just afford a Ferrari".. yes, it's snobby, but that's part of what Ferrari ownership is about.. being seen in it. And the money you spend on a car is the money you lose, and LHD and RHD cars are depreciating at about the same rate, you'll just have more (£5k ?) tied up in a RHD.. Then there's the problem of overtaking blah blah.

Regarding fragility.. they're not as fragile as you may think.. Of course, they're not up there with the reputation of Porsches (but modern Porsches have problems now.. the Turbo engine has failed on more than it should, and the PCCB brakes are problematic.. etc. etc.).

Ferraris don't tend to do many miles, because that does affect depreciation, but at "that end" of the market, miles will always be a big factor.

Regarding the F355, I loved the way it looked (CLICK HERE FOR MY PICS) and the way it sounded (CLICK HERE).. but wasn't overly impressed by the driving position .. the steering wheel feels a bit on the large side, takes too many turns lock to lock, and the wheel would be better if it rake/reach adjustment, which it doesn't)

But, the car is a classic.. many prefer it (outside) to the 360, it stands out a mile, and if you can, then you must.. at least once in your life.

Regarding the GTS in particular, don't worry that it's had it's rear buttresses repainted.. they all crack there, and it's normal for it to need re-doing even after 18 months.

I'd say a Porsche is purchased by the head, a Ferrari by the heart.

[Edited by DavidBrown - 1/15/2004 12:46:42 PM]
Old 15 January 2004, 01:28 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

*cough*noble*cough
*cough*Tuscan S*cough
Old 15 January 2004, 01:33 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Heard an interesting point today, from 2001 seven in ten 360s built are Spiders and as a result, good Modenas will be harder to come by. This should at least help reduce the depreciation. 355s are everywhere these days... Common as Chuck, I mean, muck...

Good news for all us 360 modena owners then.

Quick Reply: Ferrari 355GTS info please